Who has the best mixture of offensive creativity and readiness to be HC?

Patriot Killa

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Out of the first time NFL HC’s.

Monken

Rhule 

Kliff

No one.  You hire an Offensive coach to help Darnold and then in 4-5 years when the Jets are averaging .500 with maybe a couple of playoff appearances, you fire the coach.  Then we can bring back a Defensive coach since there is no talent on that side of the ball and the cycle continues.

I think it’s a mistake to look at the head coach for “creativity” and whatnot. That’s the offensive coordinator’s deal. Look for the HC who can get this organization under control, from the halfwit owners, to the players, to the birdbrain safety, to the juvenile beat writers, and down. If you want offensive creativity, go hire Chip Kelly. Let’s get an organization guy in here. A proven leader who simply won't stifle an offense.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s a mistake to look at the head coach for “creativity” and whatnot. That’s the offensive coordinator’s deal. Look for the HC who can get this organization under control, from the halfwit owners, to the players, to the birdbrain safety, to the juvenile beat writers, and down. If you want offensive creativity, go hire Chip Kelly. Let’s get an organization guy in here. A proven leader who simpwon’t stifle an offense.

The only guy I think matches that description is McCarthy..and doesn’t look good for our chances at him.

You asked me yesterday in the middle of the McCarthy interview excitement yesterday who I wanted, and these were the 3 names I gave you. KK, Moncken, and Ruhle, in that order. But lets be honest here. Except for a few articles we can pull up about them, none of us have a clue about any of these guys, whether we want to admit it or not. The one thing McCarthy had going for him was he was a known quantity. You knew what you were going to get, you simply had to decide if you thought it was enough. With these 3, it's just guessing.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You asked me yesterday in the middle of the McCarthy interview excitement yesterday who I wanted, and these were the 3 names I gave you. KK, Moncken, and Ruhle in that order. But lets be honest here. Except for a few articles we can pullup about them, none of us have a clue about any of these guys, whether we want to admit it or not. The one thing McCarthy had going for him was he was a known quantity. You knew what you were going to get, you simply had to decide if you thought it was enough. With these 3, it's just guessing.

I know it brother. It’s a tough situation to pick withz All of them could suck, two of em could suck or all of em could be hits.

I’m holding out hope for McCarthy but in the end it might be between these three guys.

i’m trying to gauge who could be the “hit” if any of them.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that’s why I like Rhule. He’s taken on really bad jobs and didn’t implode 

But college is a different beast compared to the pros, no?

I like what I hear about him but am skeptical because of the difference in competition and unfamiliarity with the league.

The head coach is the executive and director and gives the team an identity and motivation 

The thing we really won't know as fans is what kind of staff they can put together. 

To play devils advocate, why didn't the Bucs promote monken and what kind of staff could rhule put together? 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

To play devils advocate, why didn't the Bucs promote monken and what kind of staff could rhule put together? 

Very fair questions. Do the Bucs know something that other teams don’t that make Monken a bad fit? 

Is Monken not balanced enough for them?

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I know it brother. It’s a tough situation to pick withz All of them could suck, two of em could suck or all of em could be hits.

I’m holding out hope for McCarthy but in the end it might be between these three guys.

i’m trying to gauge who could be the “hit” if any of them.

McCarthy sucks Scheme is garbage

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s a mistake to look at the head coach for “creativity” and whatnot. That’s the offensive coordinator’s deal. Look for the HC who can get this organization under control, from the halfwit owners, to the players, to the birdbrain safety, to the juvenile beat writers, and down. If you want offensive creativity, go hire Chip Kelly. Let’s get an organization guy in here. A proven leader who simpwon’t stifle an offense.

Did you clone Lombardi? If not then who?

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

But college is a different beast compared to the pros, no?

I like what I hear about him but am skeptical because of the difference in competition and unfamiliarity with the league.

Well, what are your expectations for the record next year? 6-10? The team was entirely uncompetitive on both offense and defense for the great majority of the season, so expecting anything more than 7-9 is lunacy. Given that, you hire the college guy and let him take his lumps next year and hope he figures it out by December. The important players on the team are all under 25 anyway, so it’s not like he’s gonna get subverted by a group of surly veterans. 

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Very fair questions. Do the Bucs know something that other teams don’t that make Monken a bad fit? 

Is Monken not balanced enough for them?

Good points. 

As much as I want the breaking news to come out now I'm fine waiting for the process to play out 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, what are your expectations for the record next year? 6-10? The team was entirely uncompetitive on both offense and defense for the great majority of the season, so expecting anything more than 7-9 is lunacy. Given that, you hire the college guy and let him take his lumps next year and hope he figures it out by December. The important players on the team are all under 25 anyway, so it’s not like he’s gonna get subverted by a group of surly veterans. 

Understandable but do you want to be developing a coach at the same time you are developing the QB? And it also begs the question of who he will hire to work one on one with Sam. 

We’re on the same page as far as finding someone who is balanced, a leader and has a strong accumune for teaching players but I’m still stuck on how the offense might do and more importantly how Sam Darnold will do.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Understandable but do you want to be developing a coach at the same time you are developing the QB? And it also begs the question of who he will hire to work one on one with Sam. 

We’re on the same page as far as finding someone who is balanced, a leader and has a strong accumune for teaching players but I’m still stuck on how the offense might do and more importantly how Sam Darnold will do.

I guess it boils down to this: do you want a Rhule-type or a Jack Del Rio-type? 

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why is Maye a birdbrain?

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Out of the first time NFL HC’s.

Monken

Rhule 

Kliff

I honestly don't know or care.  They're IMO the wrong kind of move for our franchise today.

Just say no to "creative", i.e. gimmicky small-school college-level-option-and/or-air-raid first time rookie no-pro-resume Head Coaches.

You really want them, fine, OC and no higher IMO.  Head Coaches are not there to be creative, they're there to run the team as a whole.  O-Co's can be "creative".  On top of being a rookie HEad Coach do we really want that rookie Head Coach designing the offense and calling plays in their first pro gig?

We a drowned rat of a franchise. 

We cannot afford to be that risky. 

We need maturity, experience, stability and discipline.  

We do not need a kid-coach who'll try to be these players friends and compare instagram pics and facebook friends lists while seeing if the modern version of the run-and-shoot or option really can work at the pro level......

EDIT:  Monken does in fact have a pro resume, it's just not very long or (IMO) that impressive.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I honestly don't know or care.  They're IMO the wrong kind of move for our franchise today.

Just say no to "creative", i.e. gimmicky small-school college-level-option-and/or-air-raid first time rookie no-pro-resume Head Coaches.

You really want them, fine, OC and no higher IMO.  Head Coaches are not there to be creative, they're there to run the team as a whole.  O-Co's can be "creative".  On top of being a rookie HEad Coach do we really want that rookie Head Coach designing the offense and calling plays in their first pro gig?

We a drowned rat of a franchise. 

We cannot afford to be that risky. 

We need maturity, experience, stability and discipline.  

We do not need a kid-coach who'll try to be these players friends and compare instagram pics and facebook friends lists while seeing if the modern version of the run-and-shoot or option really can work at the pro level......

So its McCarthy or bust for you?

Archived