Ralph Vacchiano "Mike McCarthy is still a candidate for the Jets' job"

Jetsbb

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/the-latest-on-jets-coaching-search-mike-mccarthy-considered-a-favorite-as-interviews-continue/302274364

Jan. 6, 5:49 PM:

Mike McCarthy is still a candidate for the Jets' job, an NFL source told SNY.tv's Ralph Vacchiano, and as far as the team knows, the former Packers coach has not made any big decisions about his future. There has always been a chance that he'd choose to sit out the 2019 season, as one report on Sunday said he planned to do. But after interviewing him on Friday and Saturday, the source said, the Jets believe he's still interested in their job.

That could always change, but for now it does appear that McCarthy has "warmed" to the idea of coaching the Jets, as one source told SNY on Saturday. The only two jobs he's currently planning to interview for are the Jets job and the Browns job. He postponed his interview with the Browns a few days ago, but it is expected to take place this week.

McCarthy does still appear to be a favorite, particularly of Jets CEO Christopher Johnson, according to a source. The Jets went into the search hoping to find an experienced head coach with an offensive mind and someone who could help develop young quarterback Sam Darnold and energize their fan base. The 55-year-old McCarthy would seem to check all of those boxes.

But the Jets are going to continue their extensive search at least through this week, before deciding whether they're going to bring in any candidates for a second interview. So far they've interviewed McCarthy, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and former Dolphins coach Adam Gase. They were in Dallas to interview Cowboys DBs coach Kris Richard on Sunday and will interview Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken on Tuesday.

They also may interview Baylor coach Matt Rhule, and they are hopeful USC will change its mind and let them talk to Trojans offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jetsons said:

still just speculation.

It means Jason idiot Laconfora is a fraud like many suspected. Reported a rumor from weeks ago as facts that are relevant now. CBS should investigate him because I strongly believe a lot of his reports are stolen rumors publicly available that he pretends he found out from legitimate sources.

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I spoke to a lifelong Packers fan last night, and he thinks McCarthy will in fact consider the job...if he hasn’t done so already. 

I’m sure he’s considering it to a decent extent...with that said Idk if he’ll really take it at the end of the day. We still have another week before we find out.

2 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Well Cimini is certainly no insider, but he seems to "think" the McCarthy thing is still active. These conflicting reports are just nuts these days. The Truth is no one really knows anything.  No one even knew McCarthy was in NJ beforehand. Now they all pretend to know what these guys are thinking in their heads? lol 

Either way, I like that we are cotinuing the search even though I'm a supporter of hiring McCarthy. Desperation never wears well no matter how many boxes of chocolates and opera tickets you show up with at the door. Trust me on that one, I know. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The rumor going around right now is that Cleveland is going to hire the Colts defensive coordinator.  Don't know if that's true of course. 

I never heard of the guy until about a month ago, but after seeing his defensive schemes I like him.... just keep Kitchens as the OC & I think they will do well in the future.

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The rumor going around right now is that Cleveland is going to hire the Colts defensive coordinator.  Don't know if that's true of course. 

Interesting. I haven't heard that one. With Arians interested and McCarthy scheduled I'd say that's a bit premature. 

I think many of you are thinking too much. Forget what you are hearing from all the sources and connect the dots. McCarthy would not be interviewing if he didn't want the job. And don't try giving me the argument that he is only trying to drive his salary up. He has no reason to do that because no matter what happens he is getting paid handsomely by Green Bay for the next 2 years.

22 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I spoke to a lifelong Packers fan last night, and he thinks McCarthy will in fact consider the job...if he hasn’t done so already. 

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Was talking to a homeless guy on the subway the other night, he's sure that Jamal has the inside track

NOW these are the kinds of sources I can bank on!!!!  ?

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you think which of these articles isnt just speculation? 

Which is you know, cold hard fact? ?

I'm referring to the statement I highlighted.... if you want to go that route then why respond to Anything... why not just wait until the Jets Officially name the next HC.

34 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

It means Jason idiot Laconfora is a fraud like many suspected. Reported a rumor from weeks ago as facts that are relevant now. CBS should investigate him because I strongly believe a lot of his reports are stolen rumors publicly available that he pretends he found out from legitimate sources.

All I know is that on my Twitter feed he spends more time retweeting political crap than posting football stuff. 

18 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I'm referring to the statement I highlighted.... if you want to go that route then why respond to Anything... why not just wait until the Jets Officially name the next HC.

Because I'm not the one shocked that these statements are opinion

Archived