Ralph Vacchiano "Mike McCarthy is still a candidate for the Jets' job"

Jetsbb

7 hours ago, Flyboy72 said:

I hope you right.We don’t need a safe choice. Look what young Matt Nagy and Doug  Peterson  And  look what the colts did they hire young oc that were smart And creative. If we hire  McCarthy we getting a play caller who  schemes are outdated and not  creative enough for today’s NFL 

The sum of the Jets leadership has to meet the minimum level of competence.  

The Jets are a weak organization, and I don’t see how they can bring in a first time HC/former college coach, have them report to Chris and have it work out.  We all see how well these young innovators can do, but they have better GMs, ownership and Coordinators.  

To me the first priority is to support and develop Darnold and improve the organization.  So I think a veteran HC who can have a helpful view on personnel is better until the Jets can develop a coaching bench and hopefully can bring in or develop a real GM that runs the football operations, other than Chris.  

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Read about 15,000 posts here in about 20 different threads. It's been debated ad nauseam. You can't just come in here 2 weeks into the debate and start at square one man. lol

Read the threads and join in if you'd like. There's quite literally enough written on JN about why some think McCarthy is a good choice to write a book.  

At least half a dozen threads . 

38 minutes ago, jack48 said:

McCarthy may be interested.  He just might not be willing to concede player selection to someone like Macc.  So it might be abit of a holding pattern

It is important to know that McCarthy is on record as saying he doesn't WANT player control because that and being a HC is to much to handle.

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

The sum of the Jets leadership has to meet the minimum level of competence.  

The Jets are a weak organization, and I don’t see how they can bring in a first time HC/former college coach, have them report to Chris and have it work out.  We all see how well these young innovators can do, but they have better GMs, ownership and Coordinators.  

To me the first priority is to support and develop Darnold and improve the organization.  So I think a veteran HC who can have a helpful view on personnel is better until the Jets can develop a coaching bench and hopefully can bring in or develop a real GM that runs the football operations, other than Chris.  

Mike Shanahan anyone????? :) 

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, what's going on here this week? All of a sudden there are a bunch of new people just posting nonsensensical, or argumentative stuff in just about every thread.. I thought at first it was one person opening multiple accounts, but now they're arguing with each other. I've only been on here about 5 months, and but I've never seen this here. Have long time members like you seen it before? 

lol  That doesn't mean it's still not the same person actually.  

7 hours ago, Flyboy72 said:

I hope you right.We don’t need a safe choice. Look what young Matt Nagy and Doug  Peterson  And  look what the colts did they hire young oc that were smart And creative. If we hire  McCarthy we getting a play caller who  schemes are outdated and not  creative enough for today’s NFL 

Do you realize the “young” OC that the Colts hired is 57?  I am a proponent of hiring McCarthy because I feel we need a stable coach to bring some leadership and stability to the team.  My hope would be that he has an Andy Reid epiphany and opens up his playbook or better yet hires an innovative OC such as Monken or Kingsbury to update his offense. My second choice would be Todd Monken who is 55 I believe, who has some college head coaching experience in conjunction with being an NFL OC for the past three years.  He runs a very upscale dynamic offense.  

14 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I find it interesting that the only jobs he is interested in is with the jets and browns when so many people worried no one would want our job if we didn't fire mac. Guess good coaches are still willing to consider us.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

......as leverage for the Job they really want. ?

37 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Do you realize the “young” OC that the Colts hired is 57?  I am a proponent of hiring McCarthy because I feel we need a stable coach to bring some leadership and stability to the team.  My hope would be that he has an Andy Reid epiphany and opens up his playbook or better yet hires an innovative OC such as Monken or Kingsbury to update his offense. My second choice would be Todd Monken who is 55 I believe, who has some college head coaching experience in conjunction with being an NFL OC for the past three years.  He runs a very upscale dynamic offense.  

We think similarly. It's not like we haven't hired the young hot candidate before. They jumped at Bowles and moved fast to hire him before he made it to the Atlanta interview. Why? Because he was considered the new "hot" candidate. Going offense would be different of course, and I think it would be a nice move forward just by going that way, but established and sustained success is much closer to what the Jets org needs. We have been kinda nuts over the past 15 years with 4 coaches in that time. 

We have a franchise QB for the first time. That can stabilize the offense. We need a coach who has a proven track record of success with QB's to help that stick. McCarthy has done that for a long time. 

I agree with you that best case would be to hire McCarthy as the stabilizing HC and hire Richard for DC and a Kingsbury type for OC. That would be fantastic. I like all of the candidates we're bringing in, but not for the HC of the NY Jets train wreck. It's more likely a crash and burn scenario if we go young hot shot. 

I'll add that Rex Ryan seemed like the best possible hire in the NFL for two straight seasons. McVay or Nagy haven't won anything yet and everyone is referring to them as the way to do things. Let's wait until they actually DO something before we use them as the model on how to build a franchise.  Nagy is home today licking his wounds after a Wildcard loss. Let's slow down with all this crazy talk. McCarthy has done it year in year out. The first real blip in his HC career and people want to call him a has been. It's sort of odd actually. 

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

......as leverage for the Job they really want. ?

Meh. McCarthy could have easily used the Arizona job as better leverage. They were throwing the keys to kingdom at him. The Jets are not. If you're going to create leverage, you want the best position to do so. That was Arizona.  There is not really any basis for this line of thinking. It could be true of course, but it could also be true that McCarthy is demanding Blue M&M's be the only candy allowed anywhere at Atlantic Health training Center. 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Meh. McCarthy could have easily used the Arizona job as better leverage. They were throwing the keys to kingdom at him. The Jets are not. If you're going to create leverage, you want the best position to do so. That was Arizona.  There is not really any basis for this line of thinking. It could be true of course, but it could also be true that McCarthy is demanding Blue M&M's be the only candy allowed anywhere at Atlantic Health training Center. 

I was being facetious, but the Jets have not been the most attractive organization to join from a coaching and player perspective for a long time, so they'll have to work extra hard to land McCarthy, even with Darnold in the fold.  

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

This is all about $$

Woody and Chrissy are being cheap

you don't know that and the one thing I've never had to worry about is Woody loosening the purse strings.  Just because the jets have continually hired rookie HCs doesn't prove that the reason they have done so is cheapness.  Correlation does not establish causality.   Your reasoning is faulty to the nth degree.  Again. 

45 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I was being facetious, but the Jets have not been the most attractive organization to join from a coaching and player perspective for a long time, so they'll have to work extra hard to land McCarthy, even with Darnold in the fold.  

Gotcha.

We agree  :P 

45 minutes ago, Dcat said:

you don't know that and the one thing I've never had to worry about is Woody loosening the purse strings.  Just because the jets have continually hired rookie HCs doesn't prove that the reason they have done so is cheapness.  Correlation does not establish causality.   Your reasoning is faulty to the nth degree.  Again. 

You just answered your own question skippy

Enjoy the Bucs OC who, coincidentally, will be bottom 3 in salary in the nfl

2 hours ago, Joejet said:

hahaha

11 hours ago, Flyboy72 said:

we need matt rhule or kliff

I would prefer McCarthy as the HC for his no nonsense/disciplinarian style, as a teacher for Sam & as an experienced coach who will lead this organization... I would also like him to hire KK as the OC & allow him to implement his own offense... follow that with hiring Richard as the DC & retaining both Boyer as the ST's coach & Kevin Greene as the LB's coach.  

40 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You just answered your own question skippy

Enjoy the Bucs OC who, coincidentally, will be bottom 3 in salary in the nfl

correlation does not prove causality.  If you stand by your position, then you are defying some of the most common principles of logic.  You do not know that cheapness is a factor here.  You are assuming. Nothing more. And so there is zero legitimacy to your poorly conceived assumption.  

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

It is important to know that McCarthy is on record as saying he doesn't WANT player control because that and being a HC is to much to handle.

I am not sure that is true.  There are a ton of administrative duties also associated with GM.  I can see him not wanting them  What coach worth his salt does not want some control over his personnel?

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

and it is also important to note that MM might not want control over some GMs and would have to have control over other GMs.  He must want to win.

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:
More

Browns put interview with Mike McCarthy on hold, per @RobDemovsky. Browns GM John Dorsey, ast GM Eliot Wolf & VP of Player Personnel Alonzo Highsmith all worked with MM in Green Bay. Had 1 month to interview him. Now postponing. Curious ?

That does worry me. I hope it’s because MM doesn’t want another premadonna ? Or does the Cleveland golden boy want KK as his HC. We’ll see how it goes 

Archived