Is Wentz "really" as good as we claim?

Villain The Foe

At this point im liable to say that the best QB on that Eagles team is Nick Foles. The biggest games that the Eagles have won since drafting Wentz, Nick Foles actually won. 

When the lights are the brightness, Foles is clearly the man for the job. Sure I totally understand that Wentz has suffered injuries, but your best ability is availability, and Nick has been available and has out dueled every QB and team when they needed it the most. Would the Eagles be in the playoffs, let alone winning last night's playoff game if Foles wasnt the QB?

Is Wentz overrated? He hasn't won a big game and this team was very inconsistent this season. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wentz was the best player in the league until he blew his knee out.  This year he wasnt the same.

We think nowadays that medical science has become so great these major injuries dont effect these players once they return.

That is just not the case.  Wentz very well might go the route of RG3 and Dante Cullpepper.  QBs that were never the same after major knee injuries.

The key is that the most talented player is usually, but not always the best player. 

Wentz is great talent wise no doubt, but Foles with a far more limited skill set is very decisive within that skill set when he is dialed in and hence he makes the players around him more decisive.  

Here is the key for me Foles was ready to leave the NFL a few years ago for a good reason; why? because Foles wasn’t right for every system and couldn’t play the way he knew that he could.  

However as now put Foles in the right system with the right players who can understand his mindset and you have what we are seeing, a cool under pressure wining QB. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

At this point im liable to say that the best QB on that Eagles team is Nick Foles. The biggest games that the Eagles have won since drafting Wentz, Nick Foles actually won. 

When the lights are the brightness, Foles is clearly the man for the job. Sure I totally understand that Wentz has suffered injuries, but your best ability is availability, and Nick has been available and has out dueled every QB and team when they needed it the most. Would the Eagles be in the playoffs, let alone winning last night's playoff game if Foles wasnt the QB?

Is Wentz overrated? He hasn't won a big game and this team was very inconsistent this season. 

Was is Nick Foles who got the defense to get its act together the last 4 weeks and cause 8 turnovers? The Eagles defense and a bad kick won that game yesterday. Foles is solid but I wouldn’t want to be the team that pays him this offseason. Wentz is a better player and has the higher ceiling and is much younger. You take him 10 times out of 10. Recency bias be damned. 

PHI and BAL are going to have big decisions to make at QB.  As
good as Wentz has looked, he has to be considered injury prone.
And because of the injuries you have no idea how he'll perform in
the playoffs.  And in BAL can they really trust Jackson going into
2019?  Unless he grows in his QB skills they won't be able to run
an effective offense.  LA saw their scheme for a second time and
figured it out and Jackson was hideous

Lamarr looked like a mess.  Holds the ball like the old loaf of bread.  Does not even catch snaps.  Does not have a superior arm or throwing motion.  And is excitable in the pocket.  But I think it is significant that Harbaugh left Flacco on the bench.  These are coachable things, I guess.

23 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I was just thinking about wentz and luck. Both are great talents but both have spent the majority of their young careers inujured. What if something like this happens with darnold.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

That's why we Have to invest in the O-line & in a good rb/wr… to allow Sam the time to get rid of the ball quickly without having to take Any Unnecessary hits.

It's not easy to win a Super Bowl & Wentz is missing not only games as the QB of the Eagles, he's missing playing behind one of the best Olines in the NFL & that doesn't last forever, ask us Jets fans.

What are the odds the Eagles replace Jason Peters with someone as good as him? Or Lane Johnson? Or Jason Kelse?

Can you imagine if Foles won back to back? And then they let him go? Every failure for Wentz will be multiplied by 10. Carson Wentz is in a no win situation after suffering these injuries.

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

He ain’t no Nick Foles. I will tell you that. 

Foles is good in one offensive system for one team (a perfect storm with Pederson) - failed with two other teams (lucky beats good every time)

Wentz would be good for 20 teams - (not proven yet) but better skills should translate - he has started just 40 games, over 10k yards, 63.7 completion rate, 70 TD's with 28 Ints

its an interesting question....they will have to decide on one long terms in the offseason and cut the other one loose....Wentz probably offers high long term upside if healthy, but if they even end up in a SB...i dont see how u let Foles walk.

From articles that I read yesterday, it appears the Eagles will have an option of tagging Foles and trading him. That seems odd to me, as they have a mutual option, and Foles has a $2mm buy out. Not sure why Foles could not just pay the buy out and be a FA.

Anyway, Wentz is far more predictable this year. He locks onto his preferred target (Ertz), and went that direction with the majority of his passes. His deep ball throws this year were far off from where he was last year. I think you have to definitely give thought that the injury is still affecting him in some manner.

Pederson, seems to call a different game with Foles at the position. He relies on the run game more with Foles(or, it may be that Wentz chooses the P far more often in the RPO).

Foles throws a pretty deep ball. He can drop passes in and he created great placement.

It will be an interesting off-season for the Eagles as they make their decision.

Wentz should of won MVP over Brady. Wentz had like 33 Touchdowns to 8 Interceptions. Wentz is really really good. 

I still don’t think that Nick Foles would be doing this with any other team tbh. Pederson knows how to use Foles to the best of his abilities. He knows that Foles can only be as effective with RPO’s and keeping the defense on their heels. Quick throws. Scheming player open. It’s a lot of coaching knowing exactly what Foles needs to be successful. If they ever trade Foles, they are going to straight rob a team because I just don’t think Foles is the same guy outside of Philly. I don’t think Foles is a bad QB. He’s pretty good but Wentz and Foles aren’t even in the same stratosphere as passers.

Wentz is an amazing QB and it truly sucks that injuries are messing with his career.

You obviously have to give Foles credit for what he's done, particularly last year, but lately he's gotten pretty seriously overrated, mostly because of the little narrative that plays out in all of this. He's definitely had some very good games, but is also remarkably inconsistent. Are our memories all so short that we forget what hot garbage he looked like when he opened the season as starter this year?

He didn't even look so good for most of the game yesterday, and the opposing kicker was really their MVP. While it would be a cute storyline for last year's story to repeat, that's a long way from being even slightly true, as I'd say they have the worst odds of anyone next weekend.

Wentz is undoubtedly the superior player, but of course you have to be on the field for that to matter. 

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Wentz was the best player in the league until he blew his knee out.  This year he wasnt the same.

We think nowadays that medical science has become so great these major injuries dont effect these players once they return.

That is just not the case.  Wentz very well might go the route of RG3 and Dante Cullpepper.  QBs that were never the same after major knee injuries.

Spot on.

And if they can get him back to healthy - he can still be a top 5 QB going forward. Somewhat similar situation to Andrew Luck. 

53 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Foles is good in one offensive system for one team (a perfect storm with Pederson) - failed with two other teams (lucky beats good every time)

Wentz would be good for 20 teams - (not proven yet) but better skills should translate - he has started just 40 games, over 10k yards, 63.7 completion rate, 70 TD's with 28 Ints

Eh?  He had a ultra pro bowl like season under chip kelly 27 tds and like 2 ints.

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wentz should of won MVP over Brady. Wentz had like 33 Touchdowns to 8 Interceptions. Wentz is really really good. 

I still don’t think that Nick Foles would be doing this with any other team tbh. Pederson knows how to use Foles to the best of his abilities. He knows that Foles can only be as effective with RPO’s and keeping the defense on their heels. Quick throws. Scheming player open. It’s a lot of coaching knowing exactly what Foles needs to be successful. If they ever trade Foles, they are going to straight rob a team because I just don’t think Foles is the same guy outside of Philly. I don’t think Foles is a bad QB. He’s pretty good but Wentz and Foles aren’t even in the same stratosphere as passers.

Wentz is an amazing QB and it truly sucks that injuries are messing with his career.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.....screwy situation in Philly, but let's not delude ourselves...Wentz was a legit MVP candidate before tearing his ACL.....Foles is just in the right situation

The unknown here is if Wentz can return to form

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wentz would be good for 20 teams - not proven yet but better skills should translate 

I bet Washington or the Giants make a play for him, I just have no idea how much money he's gonna get.

for the eagles it doesn't matter who is better, it matters who is better on the eagles.  and with this team and this offense, it's close.  if you put these 2 qbs on a lot of other teams wentz would be much better, but that doesn't matter.  the eagles are winning playoff games with foles and it's no fluke.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Chicago kicker doinks an upright and a cross bar thus carson wentz is not that good.

The thing is Foles gave the Eagles a chance to win. No clutch 4th down touchdown pass to Golden Tate and the Bears are kneeling out a win.

Foles has the clutch gene. Can't teach it. 

Archived