Manish gets rid of all pretense its all out war on McCarthy.

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I don’t see what’s so wrong with that playcalling?  Up two scores with around 3 minutes left (or 5 min but no time outs) is a good place to be.  Sometimes you get beat.  What if they didn’t score on the goal line in either attempt?

Right. Then he's a moron for not taking the points in a championship game.  This stuff is always so funny with the gift of hindsight. There is a valid argument there, but it's not the death knell. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess maneesh forgets about the time when the bellichicken went for it on 4th and 2 from his end of the field in a playoff game.  i think it might have been against the colts a few years back.  that didn't work out very well.

and when maneesh uses the shoulda gone for it on 4th and 2 when the team could make a first down while trying to run for one on 3 downs is just a little stupid.

not for nothing but this whole aaron rodgers thing is getting more than a little overblown.  sure he's a very good qb but without the other pieces working on the team they still lose.  if mccarthy failed in green bay it was more because he stopped getting the right player pieces when thompson left.

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-mike-mccarthy-jets-coaching-candidate-20190107-story.html

Mehta: Jets must look past Mike McCarthy's shiny ring as there's some questionable baggage

The following events are real. They actually happened.

NFC Championship Game

1) First quarter: Scoreless. Fourth and goal from the 1-yard line.

Decision: Kick a field goal.

2) First quarter: Leading 3-0. Fourth and goal from the 1-yard line.

Decision: Kick a field goal.

3) Fourth quarter: Leading 19-7 with 5:04 left. Drive starts at your own 43-yard line.

Decision: Call three consecutive runs. Minus-4 yards. Three-and-out punt.

RESULT: You blow a 12-point lead with 11 minutes to go and miss out on the Super Bowl.

Mike McCarthy clearly has the most accomplished resume among the Jets head coaching candidates, but a closer examination of his conservative tendencies and mind-boggling game management in pivotal moments in recent years should give Gang Green’s powers that be pause for concern during this critical evaluation.

There’s a natural comfort level in the familiar. Everyone knows McCarthy, who took the Packers to nine playoffs in 13 seasons. He’s the perceived “safe” choice even if the truth is that he comes with as many – if not more – questions as some of the candidates that you don’t know as much about.

Who in their right mind would choose Baylor head coach Matt Rhule, former Dolphins head coach Adam Gase, Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken or USC offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury over a Super Bowl winning coach, right?

Well, smart, forward-thinking people, that’s who.

The Jets need to find the right leader who understands where the NFL is headed. Jewelry, frankly, means very little.

History has shown us that former Super Bowl winning head coaches fail more often than they succeed during their second acts. Eight of the 13 Super Bowl winning head coaches that have been hired by other teams have finished with a losing record the second time around. In other words, re-tread Super Bowl winning coaches finish with winning records 38 percent of the time.

Yes, McCarthy, who interviewed with Christopher Johnson and Mike Maccagnan last week, has a ring. No, that doesn’t guarantee a damn thing in 2019 and beyond. Gang Green needs a creative, offensive mind that understands how to stay ahead of the curve.

McCarthy’s questionable game-day decisions in key situations have been a recurring theme. Those who are enamored by his playoff appearances should understand this: Aaron Rodgers – one of the five best quarterbacks in the history of the universe – saved Green Bay’s collective derriere time and time again. It got to the point where Rodgers would change plays at the line of scrimmage because he knew the called ones simply were n’t good enough.

Sometimes, however, there was nothing Rodgers could do.

Take another look at the decisions outlined above in the 2015 conference title game in Seattle. McCarthy’s decisions single-handedly cost the Packers a second trip to the Super Bowl under his watch.

"When you go back and think about it,” Rodgers said after that game, “At times we weren’t playing as aggressive as we usually are."

Ya think? Kicking 18-and 19-yard field goals instead of going for it from the 1-yard line twice was ridiculous. Jets fans would have obliterated their coach if they took that insanely conservative route.

It was equally egregious that McCarthy didn’t trust Aaron Freakin’ Rodgers to seal the game with five minutes left. Three consecutive runs?

Oy vey.

McCarthy’s post-game explanation infuriated Packers fans even more.

“If you want to question my playcalling … I’m not questioning it” McCarthy told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel after the game. “I came in here to run the ball. The one statistic I had has as far as a target to hit was 20 rushing attempts in the second half. I thought that would be a very important target to hit for our offense.”

His admission that his pre-determined plan guided him was the epitome of illogical stubbornness. With a Super Bowl on the line, he didn’t trust Rodgers to win the game for him.

Think about that for a second.

We’re all human. Lapses in judgement happen. But that wasn’t the last time that McCarthy took the ball out of Aaron Rodgers’ hands with the game on the line.

Fast forward to Week 11 this season when the Packers faced a 4th and 2 trailing by three points with 4 ½ minutes left in regulation in Seattle. McCarthy inexplicably punted the ball from Green Bay’s 33-yard line with one timeout and the two-minute warning rather than give Rodgers a chance to pick up a first down. The Seahawks salted away the game by picking up a couple first downs on the ground.

Rodgers never touched the ball again.

Every objective observer agreed: Nothing about McCarthy’s decision to punt made sense. The Packers’ top two defensive linemen, Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark, left the game due to injuries. Rodgers had thrown for 332 yards for an offense that had averaged 7.5 yards per play in the game.

“Definitely but we had the injuries to Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels,” McCarthy said about why he punted. “So, there was definitely consideration but we had just the one timeout and the ability to stop the clock with two minutes left. We played the numbers. We did consider taking a timeout and going for it on fourth and two.”

Making a decision devoid of logic like taking his last timeout before going for it on fourth down would have made everyone’s head explode. Regardless, McCarthy, the Super Bowl champion, royally messed up that game like he had done in the past.

It’s a wonder how Rodgers didn’t get sent to the funny farm after his head coach’s illogical decision that dropped Green Bay to 4-5-1 and sealed McCarthy’s fate.

It’s decisions like that Jets brass must consider. Look beyond the shiny Lombardi Trophy driven by Rodgers’ greatness and take a deep dive into McCarthy’s actual in-game choices and play-calling.

The details matter.

Rodgers had hinted at McCarthy’s deficiencies in the past. The future Hall of Famer cited a lack of accountability in the locker room and a tangible lack of energy in the wake of a mid-season loss to the Colts in 2016. The Packers got back on track, but the quarterback’s dissatisfaction with the head coach was apparent.

Did Rodgers become increasingly difficult to manage through the years?

Yes.

But it’s undeniable that this all-time great quarterback was the primary reason for the Packers’ success over the past decade. It’s also inexcusable that Green Bay managed to reach only one Super Bowl with one of the best signal callers to have walked the face of the Earth.

McCarthy is no dummy though. It’s unfair to paint him as some sort of lost soul, because he is not.

But this is a fast-moving league that requires innovative, creative teachers to win. He’s also no Andy Reid, who is unquestionably one of the Top 3 offensive play-callers in the league. (McCarthy is not).

The Jets have too much on the line to take the easy way out. They need to do real work to uncover their next leader.

A familiar name guarantees nothing. There are smarter options out there.

The future matters more than the past.

Remains silent about the sh*t job Bowles has done for FOUR GODDAMN YEARS....Jets interview McCarthy and here comes a detailed amd lengthy examination of every game that the Packers didnt win over a decade....lol

What an epic douchebag.

Want an axiom, Jets? Do exactly the opposite of what this little **** says you should do.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’ve enjoyed watching MM gradually get more caustic on all things McCarthy. Today he stop even trying to present it as a mixed bag lol. 

It’s so absurd it makes me wonder if I’m wrong because I do not want McCarthy. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Here's the thing with an article like this...

Yes, McCarthy made some mistake, yes he only won one superbowl with Rodgers - but for over a decade he headed up a well run, organized, mostly drama free organization that won an awful lot of playoff games.

Mehta then goes on to make the below statement wrapping up his article.

The Jets have too much on the line to take the easy way out. They need to do real work to uncover their next leader.

This is the exact reason you do hire McCarthy - The Jets can not afford to get this one wrong.  There is a MUCH, MUCH greater chance that whatever OC or College guy they end up hiring will fail terribly.

basically saying as long as they "do real work" they'll find the right guy - as if they're hiring McCarthy because they're lazy.

I hear you, but there is always the possibility that Rodgers carried Reid most of his tenure. Do you honestly believe that if McCarty came here, we are a lock to be good?

The “only won one ring” thing is an outrageous attack. Who wouldn’t take Sean Peyton right now? “Only” one ring with Brees.

One ring is freaking good regardless of the context. Freaking Jets fans/beat writers. We’d rather go with No-Ring-No-Namers. Smh. How exactly is that better?

The “only won one ring” thing is an outrageous attack. Who wouldn’t take Sean Peyton right now? “Only” one ring with Brees.
One ring is freaking good regardless of the context. Freaking Jets fans/beat writers. We’d rather go with No-Ring-No-Namers. Smh. How exactly is that better?

It’s hilarious watching this fan base break their necks as they flip from “same old jets, can’t do anything right, we’re cursed and never have success“ to becoming the most prissy, demanding girl at the ball whenever there is a hire to be made in coaching/front office or free agency. “Like, who WoULdN’T want to date us? They should be so lucky!”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

It’s hilarious watching this fan base break their necks as they flip from “same old jets, can’t do anything right, we’re cursed and never have success“ to becoming the most prissy, demanding girl at the ball whenever there is a hire to be made in coaching/front office or free agency. “Like, who WoULdN’T want to date us? They should be so lucky!”

Very odd that the desire always seems to be to risk it all on a total unproven pro HC (maybe 10% chance of success?) than to go with someone proven who maybe has a slightly lower “ceiling” (in the sense that a job has a lower ceiling than lottery tickets) but who is also very unlikely to totally fail at the job. If companies hired like that, they’d be out of business.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He's 100% right. Fans are just blinded by McCarthy. I dont get it.

The best indicator of future success is past success.

We are sick of hiring guys based on the premise "well, he's never been a HC before, so maybe he doesn't suck."

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He's 100% right. Fans are just blinded by McCarthy. I dont get it.

Jets fans have an inferiority complex and they think that by bringing in a guy that once won a SB it will give us credibility, even if he isn't the best man for the job. 

They have been scorned by the likes of Mangini, Rex and Bowles and they just want a guy they know won't embarrass them. They don't care that the SB Mccarthy won 10 years ago doesn't increase our chances of success this year. They don't care that McCarthy was carried by Rodgers. They don't care that the Packers wanted him gone. They don't care that Packers fans were happy he was gone. 

McCarthy is FAR from the worst candidate. Caldewell/Bienemy/Gregg Williams. Those guys are putrid by comparison.  

Again, who else has interviewed McCarthy? I saw the list of reported interviews for all coaching candidates and only Jets interviewed McCarthy. Reportedly he isn't interested (depending on who you believe).....or he knows the Jets aren't interested and leaked that report to save face. 

3 hours ago, The Troll said:

Tell that to the Bears and Rams.

Some one wins the lottery:

• Logical reaction: "Wow that guy was lucky. Maybe I'll buy a ticket on the way home, if I remember."
  • Typical Jets fan reaction: "Time to cash out the 401k and go all-in on PowerBall tickets. Someone said the odds are 500 million-to-one. Well tell that to the one guy who won!"

The fact that the Bears and Rams are so easily spring to mind is because they are exceptional outliers. The list of failures is too long to write during one day of loafing at work. Let's also not forget that Jets' current ownership has proven especially adept at selecting failures from first-time HC candidates. Betting Sam Darnold's rookie-contract years on the team's ability to hit on an exceptional positive outlier (for the first time in its history) is a reckless and unacceptable risk. If we didn't have a FQB, the risk calculus would be different.

A handful of questionable calls doesn't overshadow over a decade of success, as much as Mehta wants to push his agenda. He calls Reid a genius, yet you wouldn't have to look hard to find similar types of calls made by Reid during his career, starting with his failure to stop the clock at the end of the Super Bowl in 2004.
This doesn't rise to the level of his Marrone smear campaign--he attacked the coach personally in that one--but who knows what he's going to pull out of his bag of tricks. In any case, it's a bunch of hot air. The influence of the Daily News has shrunk to nearly nothing, and Mehta is viewed as a joke by both fans and his colleagues in the press.

I’d take Andy Reid in a heartbeat over McCarthy

Some one wins the lottery:

• Logical reaction: "Wow that guy was lucky. Maybe I'll buy a ticket on the way home, if I remember."
  • Typical Jets fan reaction: "Time to cash out the 401k and go all-in on PowerBall tickets. Someone said the odds are 500 million-to-one. Well tell that to the one guy who won!"
The fact that the Bears and Rams are so easily spring to mind is because they are exceptional outliers. The list of failures is too long to write during one day of loafing at work. Let's also not forget that Jets' current ownership has proven especially adept at selecting failures from first-time HC candidates. Betting Sam Darnold's rookie-contract years on the team's ability to hit on an exceptional positive outlier (for the first time in its history) is a reckless and unacceptable risk. If we didn't have a FQB, the risk calculus would be different.

Who are these retreads that have produced amazing results? Besides Reid, who in recent history?

Because you don’t have to just ask the Rams and Bears. Ask the 49ers (Kelly), Titans (Mularkey), Lions (Caldwell), Jaguars (Marrone), and a host of other teams.

I bring up the Bears and Rams because McCarthy is very similar to Fox and because, believe it or not, Jeff Fisher was once extremely well regarded as a coach.

9 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Who are these retreads that have produced amazing results? Besides Reid, who in recent history?

Because you don’t have to just ask the Rams and Bears. Ask the 49ers (Kelly), Titans (Mularkey), Lions (Caldwell), Jaguars (Marrone), and a host of other teams.

I bring up the Bears and Rams because McCarthy is very similar to Fox and because, believe it or not, Jeff Fisher was once extremely well regarded as a coach.

McCarthy has produced more in the NFL than any of the chumps you list. Comparing them is like comparing apples to UFOs. He's closer to Parcells and even more accomplished than Carroll or Belichick before accepting their current roles.

McCarthy has produced more in the NFL than any of the chumps you list. Comparing them is like comparing apples to UFOs. He's closer to Parcells and even more accomplished than Carroll or Belichick before accepting their current roles.

Lol, John Fox was 46-18 in Denver and had taken two franchises to Super Bowls. Including once with Jake Delhomme at QB.

But the game had passed him by and you saw what happened in Chicago.

9 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Lol, John Fox was 46-18 in Denver and had taken two franchises to Super Bowls. Including once with Jake Delhomme at QB.

But the game had passed him by and you saw what happened in Chicago.

I am unswayed by outliers. Prior success is the greatest indicator of future success. That's a truism. To refute a truism one needs extraordinary evidence beyond the anecdotal. 

I am unswayed by outliers. Prior success is the greatest indicator of future success. That's a truism. To refute a truism one needs extraordinary evidence beyond the anecdotal. 

Well, in the last 53 years of the NFL, this has not been true.

32 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Well, in the last 53 years of the NFL, this has not been true.

How many real opportunities have there been for former SB winners?

Lombardi coached 1 season w/ Washington before he had to retire

Stram coached only 2 years in New Orleans

Flores coached 3 years in Seattle

Ditka 3 in NO

Parcells 4 w/ NE, 3 w/ NYJ, 4 w/ Dal.  Got to SB w/ NE, title game w/ NYJ but he wasn't in any place long term

Seifert coached 3 seasons in Car

Jimmy Johnson 4 yrs in Miami

Vermeil coached 5 in KC

Gruden is now trying w/ the Raiders

Holmgren and Shanahan are the only two to coach long term at a stop after winning the SB and Holmgren led Seattle to a SB and won 5 division titles in 10 seasons.  That's pretty damn good.  Shanahan only won when he had TD and Elway, I think he had 1 playoff win w/o those 2.

it's a very small sample.  McCarthy is only 55, if we hired him he'd be here for the long term presumably and my guess is he'd come highly motivated to get another SB. 

I'm not saying hire McCarthy but I wouldn't not hire him b/c no other HC has won SBs w/ 2 different teams.  eventually someone is going to do it especially w/ coached moving around a lot more in modern times.

How many real opportunities have there been for former SB winners?
Lombardi coached 1 season w/ Washington before he had to retire
Stram coached only 2 years in New Orleans
Flores coached 3 years in Seattle
Ditka 3 in NO
Parcells 4 w/ NE, 3 w/ NYJ, 4 w/ Dal.  Got to SB w/ NE, title game w/ NYJ but he wasn't in any place long term
Seifert coached 3 seasons in Car
Jimmy Johnson 4 yrs in Miami
Vermeil coached 5 in KC
Gruden is now trying w/ the Raiders

Holmgren and Shanahan are the only two to coach long term at a stop after winning the SB and Holmgren led Seattle to a SB and won 5 division titles in 10 seasons.  That's pretty damn good.  Shanahan only won when he had TD and Elway, I think he had 1 playoff win w/o those 2.

it's a very small sample.  McCarthy is only 55, if we hired him he'd be here for the long term presumably and my guess is he'd come highly motivated to get another SB. 

I'm not saying hire McCarthy but I wouldn't not hire him b/c no other HC has won SBs w/ 2 different teams.  eventually someone is going to do it especially w/ coached moving around a lot more in modern times.

I wouldn’t hire him because, like Fox, he has shown tendencies that make people believe the modern game has passed him by. He’s also extremely conservative, which is the opposite of what I believe the Jets need.

Citing the Super Bowls thing is merely my response to those that are pro-McCarthy just because of his record in Green Bay. That doesn’t make him the right choice for the Jets, nor does it tell the whole story.

Archived