Manish gets rid of all pretense its all out war on McCarthy.

Jetsbb

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All coaches make questionable decisions and when they work your a hero, when they don’t you’re subjected to the arm chair QB’s criticisms. Do I know more than a veteran HC who lives and works with a team year after year? Does Manish? 

How about the call that Pete Carrol made in the SB when he decided to pass at the goal line and they got intercepted and lost to NE? If it was a TD he would have been a genius. No one gets it right every time. No one. So Manish, the crappy beat writer, picks 3 or 4 plays in a coaches career who gets it right 99.9% of the time and focuses on 3 plays that didn’t work. 

It would be interesting if McCarthy came in who he would pick for his coaching staff. 

I like McCarthy but we could roll the dice with another coordinator or college HC and see what happens. 

At this point it’s up to the Jets brass to get it right. 

That’s scary!

I'd definitely prefer a coach with experience, and McCarthy has an impressive resume. However the one thing with him that worries me is the staff he'd put together. Joe Philbin and Mike Pettine were his coordinators before he was fired. Ugh.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

How many real opportunities have there been for former SB winners?

Lombardi coached 1 season w/ Washington before he had to retire

Stram coached only 2 years in New Orleans

Flores coached 3 years in Seattle

Ditka 3 in NO

Parcells 4 w/ NE, 3 w/ NYJ, 4 w/ Dal.  Got to SB w/ NE, title game w/ NYJ but he wasn't in any place long term

Seifert coached 3 seasons in Car

Jimmy Johnson 4 yrs in Miami

Vermeil coached 5 in KC

Gruden is now trying w/ the Raiders

Holmgren and Shanahan are the only two to coach long term at a stop after winning the SB and Holmgren led Seattle to a SB and won 5 division titles in 10 seasons.  That's pretty damn good.  Shanahan only won when he had TD and Elway, I think he had 1 playoff win w/o those 2.

it's a very small sample.  McCarthy is only 55, if we hired him he'd be here for the long term presumably and my guess is he'd come highly motivated to get another SB. 

I'm not saying hire McCarthy but I wouldn't not hire him b/c no other HC has won SBs w/ 2 different teams.  eventually someone is going to do it especially w/ coached moving around a lot more in modern times.

It’s an incredibly sloppy argument that you effectively refute.

47 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

All coaches make questionable decisions and when they work your a hero, when they don’t you’re subjected to the arm chair QB’s criticisms. Do I know more than a veteran HC who lives and works with a team year after year? Does Manish? 

How about the call that Pete Carrol made in the SB when he decided to pass at the goal line and they got intercepted and lost to NE? If it was a TD he would have been a genius. No one gets it right every time. No one. So Manish, the crappy beat writer, picks 3 or 4 plays in a coaches career who gets it right 99.9% of the time and focuses on 3 plays that didn’t work. 

It would be interesting if McCarthy came in who he would pick for his coaching staff. 

I like McCarthy but we could roll the dice with another coordinator or college HC and see what happens. 

At this point it’s up to the Jets brass to get it right. 

That’s scary!

Your points are fair but Bevell made the SB call not Pete Carroll.

I'd definitely prefer a coach with experience, and McCarthy has an impressive resume. However the one thing with him that worries me is the staff he'd put together. Joe Philbin and Mike Pettine were his coordinators before he was fired. Ugh.
Pettine supposedly staying with Packers. Philbin, is another story.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is just more Manish foolishness. McCarthy is a very good to great NFL head coach. Rodgers by some accounts seems to have “out grown” him as a coach. That is not a bad thing just the next step for Rodgers. A long term working relationship between coach and QB can change (look at NE it is not what it once was between Brady and Belichick) it doesn’t mean McCarthy can no longer coach. It just means that Green Bay needs a change.

The Jets need someone to develop Darnold. He needs to be put in situations that allow him mature and learn. McCarthy has done that with Gannon, Hasselback, Brooks, and Rodgers were all effective when he was involved with them. If we can hire him it would be a no-brainer. Take him, have him develop the basics with Darnold in the long haul it would be the best move.

Also, those talking about the failed coordinator from his coaching tree. 1. Most “hot shot” coordinators fail has head coaches. 2. It at least says he hires and trains up others for the next job. I cannot remember the last time one the Jet’s coaches was poached for a head coaching job.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Your points are fair but Bevell made the SB call not Pete Carroll.

Yes that’s true however Carroll was OK with that call. He was interviewed after the SB and said that was 2nd down and the plan was to put it in beast mode on 3rd and 4th down

9 hours ago, jgb said:

I am unswayed by outliers. Prior success is the greatest indicator of future success. That's a truism. To refute a truism one needs extraordinary evidence beyond the anecdotal. 

Not a truism in any way in the NFL...the NFL is continuously changing year to year. and if a coach does not adapt he becomes irrelevant and a failure. And McCarthy is the poster child for not changing. It's why so many coaches are fired. Today's NFL is all about continuous adaptation. MCar5hy just isn't that guy so his previous record is completely irrelevant

10 hours ago, nyjunc said:

How many real opportunities have there been for former SB winners?

Lombardi coached 1 season w/ Washington before he had to retire

Stram coached only 2 years in New Orleans

Flores coached 3 years in Seattle

Ditka 3 in NO

Parcells 4 w/ NE, 3 w/ NYJ, 4 w/ Dal.  Got to SB w/ NE, title game w/ NYJ but he wasn't in any place long term

Seifert coached 3 seasons in Car

Jimmy Johnson 4 yrs in Miami

Vermeil coached 5 in KC

Gruden is now trying w/ the Raiders

Holmgren and Shanahan are the only two to coach long term at a stop after winning the SB and Holmgren led Seattle to a SB and won 5 division titles in 10 seasons.  That's pretty damn good.  Shanahan only won when he had TD and Elway, I think he had 1 playoff win w/o those 2.

it's a very small sample.  McCarthy is only 55, if we hired him he'd be here for the long term presumably and my guess is he'd come highly motivated to get another SB. 

I'm not saying hire McCarthy but I wouldn't not hire him b/c no other HC has won SBs w/ 2 different teams.  eventually someone is going to do it especially w/ coached moving around a lot more in modern times.

Vermeil won a SB with the Rams after taking the Eagles to one (and losing).

There are certainly several examples of coaches who have achieved big time success with more than one team.  I wouldn't put winning the SB as the only criteria.  In my book if you've shown that you can take different teams with different QBs deep into the playoffs then you've proven you're a very good coach.

3 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:
20 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:
"Everyone knows McCarthy, who took the Packers to nine playoffs in 13 seasons"

End Thread.

Aaron Rodgers got better and eventually became one of the greatest QB's of his time while working and learning under McCarthy. Re-end thread.

Fixed

Re-Re-end Thread

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

While Gase would not be my choice, he got the most out of the talent in Miami. He got fired because he has a short fuse. Would love to see him rip Mehta a new one  during one of his pressers.

Players apparently hated him.  It's not essential that they all love him but they were all thrilled to see him go.

Archived