Jets Interview Jim Caldwell

JetsFanatic

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

This news, in the middle of a HOT, sexual threesome with 2 supermodels should make ANY JETS fan go limp.

I get your point but I'm glad they have a wide net on candidates.  Even if they have little or no intention of hiring him, its good that they get his perspective,  He has coached against the Jets in the past and it's helpful to get his impressions on the team.  That's why it was smart to interview Gase who had a 5-1 record against us.  They seem to be doing their due diligence. 

I keep hearing about Ruhle being on vacation in Mexico, so he's unable to schedule an interview. Maybe its just me, but I think I'd fly back to Texas for a one day 5 million dollar per year job interview. Then resume my vacation. Just saying.... 

36-28 record with Detroit, Super Bowl as OC with Rookie Flacco, SB as HC with Peyton Manning.

He’s a go-to type veteran that has experience developing QBs and on the offensive side of the ball.

Would easily be the most veteran, qualified HC hire since parcells.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-jim-caldwell-defense-lions-20190105-story.html

1 minute ago, Vader said:

36-28 record with Detroit, Super Bowl as OC with Rookie Flacco, SB as HC with Peyton Manning.

He’s a go-to type veteran that has experience developing QBs and on the offensive side of the ball.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-jim-caldwell-defense-lions-20190105-story.html

Have to be honest here, not the guy I am hoping for, but you are so right. This man is a good coach, period.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I keep hearing about Ruhle being on vacation in Mexico, so he's unable to schedule an interview. Maybe its just me, but I think I'd fly back to Texas for a one day 5 million dollar per year job interview. Then resume my vacation. Just saying.... 

He's married with kids. Likely just spent the last few months completely ignoring them while helping rebuild Texas to a powerhouse. I think he has his priorities in order. 

Worst case scenario he is the Head Coach of a team that will be a favorite to make the College Football playoff next year and will be paid as much (best college coaches make 6-8 million), if not more than just about every NFL Head Coach with more job security. Honestly, he may be better off staying in college even if he gets an NFL HC offer. 

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I get your point but I'm glad they have a wide net on candidates.  Even if they have little or no intention of hiring him, its good that they get his perspective,  He has coached against the Jets in the past and it's helpful to get his impressions on the team.  That's why it was smart to interview Gase who had a 5-1 record against us.  They seem to be doing their due diligence. 

Fine with me.  I wish Caldwell had been the HC the last 4 years.

Just start building that Oline Maccagnan, that’s spelled O-L-I-N-E. Got it?  At this point I don’t think you do. See what Andrew Luck is doing because he FINALLY has an Oline?

Well you Maccagnan LUCKED into a QB better than Luck.  Virtually the ONLY pick you hit in 4 YEARS.

Not going to matter who the coach is, but preferably make it the choice of one schooled in Offense, and Caldwell checks that box.

1 more time...Oline.

Just now, section314 said:

Have to be honest here, not the guy I am hoping for, but you are so right. This man is a good coach, period.

he’s not sexy. and he’s not the pendulum swing back to loud mouthed blowhard, but Caldwell, has been there, done that.

he’s had some issues with perception of “stagnant” and “uncreative” and i don’t know what kind of system he will run. 

safe pick that runs risk of being stale? not sure, really.

In all honesty, in the gray beard competition I'm trying to decide if there's a huge difference between Caldwell and McCarthy. Both are experienced, both have had success with HOF QB's, neither strikes me as overly innovative, neither strikes me as overly emotional.  If the commitment is to go with an experienced hand vs. the higher risk college/coordinator route, he'd probably be fine.  If the goal is  to excite the fan base, he's probably the lowest guy on the totem pole right now...

22 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Not enough time to interview all the coaches that have had a winning record vs the Jets.

6 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Well you Maccagnan LUCKED into a QB better than Luck.  Virtually the ONLY pick you hit in 4 YEARS.

Trading into the 3rd spot and being fortunate that your guy falls to you isn't luck. Luck is preparation plus opportunity. You make your own luck. Dumb luck is when something good happens to you by no doing of your own. We got dumb luck by Jamal Adams falling to us at 6.

15 minutes ago, Vader said:

As much as fans want to groan and grumble he really wouldn't be the WORST candidate to get the job. We really have no clue what Kingsbury (or Rhule) would do in the NFL...both could easily be Chip Kelly Jr.'s. I honestly think that big part in why people don't like him is the way he looks.....and I'm not making this a race thing I just mean he looks so aloof. If he had the exact same history, record, calls etc. and he looked like Kingsbury I don't think people would have as much of an issue. 

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Trading into the 3rd spot and being fortunate that your guy falls to you isn't luck. Luck is preparation plus opportunity. You make your own luck. Dumb luck is when something good happens to you by no doing of your own. We got dumb luck by Jamal Adams falling to us at 6.

Actually the hands down correct move was drafting Patrick Mahomes the year before, which I was yelling for Maccagnan to do, but he took the scared safe route by picking the overall consensus pick in Adams at 6.  The kind of pick that protects your job, deflects future criticism.

Adams, at this point, is a very good player.  Has he made 1 single game changing play in 2 years? I don’t think so.  Not all his fault due to the position he plays, hence why you don’t draft Safeties at 6.

The Jets would have Mahomes along with 3 #2 picks.  I’m not angry.  Darnold and Mahomes will play in a number of AFC Championship Games against each other over the next 15-20 years.  They both will be the best QBs in the entire NFL.

But explain to me me if the draft had fallen this way last year...Cleve drafts Mayfield, Giants draft Darnold....then what?  Maccagnan would be doing a Ralph Kramden...”Humba da humba da”

He’d be thinking “Do I take Josh Allen or Josh Rosen?” Can’t take Barkley, no matter how great he’ll be only a QB can save my job right now”, besides he can’t run behind this garbage Oline I neglected for 4 YEARS”.

So he’d be stuck with a guy, Allen, that had trouble reading the most remedial defenses while at Wyoming, and is scattergun lots of the time with that big arm.  Or Rosen, who has been very very underwhelming (I saw many of his games), big problems for him when a play breaks down, not much of an athlete, and not even that accurate with a clean pocket.

This is the EXACT reason why Brian Heimerdinger said to Maccagnan, while both of their jaws were dropped in disbelief right after the Giants made their pick, “You’ve got a horseshoe up your a**”.

Pure LUCK.  I think Darnold is going to the Hall of Fame, if they just put a team around him.  I think he’ll be better than Namath.  Tony Romo thinks he’s going to be the “next Peyton Manning” of the NFL.

Yeah “Luck is the residue of design”, that’s a well known saying.  But the way I just laid out what occurred proves there was virtually NO design in getting Darnold...simply because it shouldn’t have happened.  No matter how great Barkley turns out to be, I’ll always think the Giants blew their pick..it should have been Sam Darnold.

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Don;t know why everybody craps on Caldwell. He is nt my cup of tea, but he has been a pretty good coach in the league.  Hell, he got Detroit to the playoffs twice.

he called the plays as OC in the Ravens SB win...

48 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

In all honesty, in the gray beard competition I'm trying to decide if there's a huge difference between Caldwell and McCarthy. Both are experienced, both have had success with HOF QB's, neither strikes me as overly innovative, neither strikes me as overly emotional.  If the commitment is to go with an experienced hand vs. the higher risk college/coordinator route, he'd probably be fine.  If the goal is  to excite the fan base, he's probably the lowest guy on the totem pole right now...

this fan base was exercised enough this past season, ha ha

Archived