Jets Interview Jim Caldwell

JetsFanatic

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's married with kids. Likely just spent the last few months completely ignoring them while helping rebuild Texas to a powerhouse. I think he has his priorities in order. 

Worst case scenario he is the Head Coach of a team that will be a favorite to make the College Football playoff next year and will be paid as much (best college coaches make 6-8 million), if not more than just about every NFL Head Coach with more job security. Honestly, he may be better off staying in college even if he gets an NFL HC offer. 

Baylor

17 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Actually the hands down correct move was drafting Patrick Mahomes the year before, which I was yelling for Maccagnan to do, but he took the scared safe route by picking the overall consensus pick in Adams at 6.  The kind of pick that protects your job, deflects future criticism.

Adams, at this point, is a very good player.  Has he made 1 single game changing play in 2 years? I don’t think so.  Not all his fault due to the position he plays, hence why you don’t draft Safeties at 6.

The Jets would have Mahomes along with 3 #2 picks.  I’m not angry.  Darnold and Mahomes will play in a number of AFC Championship Games against each other over the next 15-20 years.  They both will be the best QBs in the entire NFL.

But explain to me me if the draft had fallen this way last year...Cleve drafts Mayfield, Giants draft Darnold....then what?  Maccagnan would be doing a Ralph Kramden...”Humba da humba da”

He’d be thinking “Do I take Josh Allen or Josh Rosen?” Can’t take Barkley, no matter how great he’ll be only a QB can save my job right now”, besides he can’t run behind this garbage Oline I neglected for 4 YEARS”.

So he’d be stuck with a guy, Allen, that had trouble reading the most remedial defenses while at Wyoming, and is scattergun lots of the time with that big arm.  Or Rosen, who has been very very underwhelming (I saw many of his games), big problems for him when a play breaks down, not much of an athlete, and not even that accurate with a clean pocket.

This is the EXACT reason why Brian Heimerdinger said to Maccagnan, while both of their jaws were dropped in disbelief right after the Giants made their pick, “You’ve got a horseshoe up your a**”.

Pure LUCK.  I think Darnold is going to the Hall of Fame, if they just put a team around him.  I think he’ll be better than Namath.  Tony Romo thinks he’s going to be the “next Peyton Manning” of the NFL.

Yeah “Luck is the residue of design”, that’s a well known saying.  But the way I just laid out what occurred proves there was virtually NO design in getting Darnold...simply because it shouldn’t have happened.  No matter how great Barkley turns out to be, I’ll always think the Giants blew their pick..it should have been Sam Darnold.

I'm not even going to bother reading your novel. The argument isn't about what Macc's failures or what he should have done. The fact of the matter is that trading up to three and coming away with your guy isn't luck.

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'm not even going to bother reading your novel. The argument isn't about what Macc's failures or what he should have done. The fact of the matter is that trading up to three and coming away with your guy isn't luck.

Maybe you should read it.  Then you'd learn what the word LOGIC means.

The idiot Maccagnan LUCKED into Sam Darnold and that is the ONLY reason he's not making an Iced Frappucino behind some Starbucks counter right now.

29 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The idiot Maccagnan LUCKED into Sam Darnold and that is the ONLY reason he's not making an Iced Frappucino behind some Starbucks counter right now.

Maybe you should read what I wrote first. Then you wouldn't have to go off on a tangent about things that had nothing to do with my original point. Luck is preparation meeting opportunity. Trading up to 3 and coming away with a franchise QB is not luck.

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

no??? macc was that sure that the giants were going to take a rb???… if the jints had taken Sam who was macc's guy then???.  bottom line macc got lucky with Sam & luck ALONE does Not mean he deserves to keep his job... macc should have been FIRED along w/bowles.

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Maybe you should read what I wrote first. Then you wouldn't have to go off on a tangent about things that had nothing to do with my original point. Luck is preparation meeting opportunity. Trading up to 3 and coming away with a franchise QB is not luck.

Yeah but if this is to give the idiot so called GM ANY kind of credit for “preparation” is, it’s far off base, since the Jets desperately needed a QB the preceding year and could have drafted Mahomes instead of a Safety. The “smart” trade up to 3 had a huge cost to it, 3 #2’s.....and should have been TOTALLY unnecessary.  I went off on no tangent once you see the entire picture.

4 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah but if this is to give the idiot so called GM ANY kind of credit for “preparation” is, it’s far off base, since the Jets desperately needed a QB the preceding year and could have drafted Mahomes instead of a Safety. The “smart” trade up to 3 had a huge cost to it, 3 #2’s.....and should have been TOTALLY unnecessary.  I went off on no tangent once you see the entire picture.

Why do you keep bringing up irrelevant information? Trading up and landing your franchise QB is not luck, and has NOTHING to do with your past failures. Drafting a safety or missing out on Mahomes has no bearing on trading up and getting your guy. Two completely different points. 

7 hours ago, jetsons said:

no??? macc was that sure that the giants were going to take a rb???… if the jints had taken Sam who was macc's guy then???.  bottom line macc got lucky with Sam & luck ALONE does Not mean he deserves to keep his job... macc should have been FIRED along w/bowles.

The Giants taking Barkley was the worst kept secret in the draft. Nope, still didn't get lucky. Thanks for trying though.

10 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

9 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Maybe you should read what I wrote first.

It’s the semi-finals in the battle between longest usernames...  

Next up: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis vs. floccinaucinihilipilification

stay tuned ?

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Why do you keep bringing up irrelevant information? Trading up and landing your franchise QB is not luck, and has NOTHING to do with your past failures. Drafting a safety or missing out on Mahomes has no bearing on trading up and getting your guy. Two completely different points. 

Forget it, you win, drop it.

15 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

yes it is luck.  He did not trade up to get sam darnold.  He traded up to get one of the top 3 qbs which was a good move.  The luck came in when the teams did not draft darnold.

The fact that mac has been pure awful in almost every other way is going to make it much tougher on our franchise QB.

He has almost totally ignored the oline in the draft.

He has struck out badly on drafting wrs.

He has favoured defense over offense.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

yes it is luck.  He did not trade up to get sam darnold.  He traded up to get one of the top 3 qbs which was a good move.  The luck came in when the teams did not draft darnold.

The fact that mac has been pure awful in almost every other way is going to make it much tougher on our franchise QB.

He has almost totally ignored the oline in the draft.

He has struck out badly on drafting wrs.

He has favoured defense over offense.

Nope. Still not luck. 

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is not luck as long as you would be happy with josh rosen or josh allen or baker mayfield as our qb.  If that is case then it is not luck.

That's the point. When he moved up to three, he guaranteed that there would have been his choice of who was left. In this instance, Macc made his own luck. Luck is preparation meeting opportunity. If Darnold or Mayfield somehow fell to six, now that would be dumb luck. 

Archived