Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

I’m shocked. I thought for sure he was their hire, especially rushing him in before Arizona.

Either they want to give Monken a real shot, finishing all interviews before making a decision on anyone...

or they told Kliff he would be the OC for whoever our HC is, but Kingsbury wanted to see if Arizona offers the HC to him.

At this point Kingsbury is still my top choice with Monken a close second.

If we’re going Rhule, I just hope its with Monken or Kingsbury as OC. 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m shocked. I thought for sure he was their hire, especially rushing him in before Arizona.

Either they want to give Monken a real shot, finishing all interviews before making a decision on anyone...

or they told Kliff he would be the OC for whoever our HC is, but Kingsbury wanted to see if Arizona offers the HC to him.

At this point Kingsbury is still my top choice with Monken a close second.

If we’re going Rhule, I just hope its with Monken or Kingsbury as OC. 

Wonder why it hasn’t been announced that they completed their interview like the others.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

McCarthy has 13 years as a HC to look at. It's actually very different. 

You missed my point. I’m saying the case against McCarthy is effectively “the theoretical upside of untapped-talent.” 

23 minutes ago, BobbyFlay99 said:

Wonder why it hasn’t been announced that they completed their interview like the others.

I honestly think he’s still in play for HC, and want to meet with Monken because he is a legit canidate. 

I think Kliff wants Arizona HC offer as a backup in case we go with someone else, but NYJ is Kingsbury’s first choice.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly think he’s still in play for HC, and want to meet with Monken because he is a legit canidate. 

I think Kliff wants Arizona HC offer as a backup in case we go with someone else, but NYJ is Kingsbury’s first choice.

We’re going ahead with Rhule. Arz to offer to KK. 

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

So the Jets are tentative want to go through a long drawn out process with 2nd interviews. Cardinals taking advantage ready to offer him the job even before the interview to steal him knowing he would prefer the Jets. Chris Johnson never fails to disappoint me.

8 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Yes, Jets did not offer the HC job.  Kliff told recruits and the players he would only leave USC for an NFL head coach job.  Frankly, didn’t think an NFL franchise would be that dumb....heck, our HC is dead man walking, and USC didn’t fire him for KK.  

It sucks, because he got in contact with USC for the OC job.

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

D13FF162-D383-4C61-B025-B82A08079D6A.jpeg

Are these rumors and inside information coming from the same people who said last week the KK had already been offered and accepted the Cardinals job?....when the Cardinals weren't even allowed to talk to him?

Let's let it all play out before we rush to judgment and believe blindl internet speculation from random people with "inside" information.

It wasn't too long ago that the Jets were destined to hire Jim Harbaugh under Michigan's nose.

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

We’re going ahead with Rhule. Arz to offer to KK. 

Not sure. NYJ wants a QB guru to develop Darnold. I think we are waiting it out to see if we can have our cake and eat it too, with a Rhule/Kingsbury OC or Rhule/Monken OC combo.

If Kingsbury or Monken don’t want that, I think we pass on Rhule and go with Kings o Monk.

And one other point.....say all of this is true and KK really wants to be the HC of the Jets, but the Jets told him that he's very high on their list they just need to complete their due diligence.

If KK loves the Jets so much, he can listen to what the Cardinals have to say and tell them.....I've still got due diligence to do and I will let you know shortly.

Have a feeling it’s Rhule, they never announced meeting although there are reports that they did, sounds like they didn’t love McCarthy as much as the NY media did and haven’t heard much love for the rest of the lot that they’ve interviewed. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s either Rhule or Kingsbury. Well see with Monken today.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Continuing my post above, could someone show me an example of a Kingsbury-coached QB who spent real time with him and didn't then need benching? Not just benching, but basically needed someone else to coach him up to learn the position after leaving him? I could make the argument he did nothing to coach up his QBs, as the QBs he had could more or less coast on talent alone at the college level.

It's just easier to "fake it" below the pro level because the talent on so many opponents is so diluted. There's barely enough talent to fill 32 rosters of players who can stay for up to 10-15 years. How much talent is there really across a multiple of that number of teams, where nobody sticks longer than 4 years, most aren't good enough to start for more than 2, and after the overwhelming majority of these college starters aren't good enough to even become NFL backups. Davis Webb is one of them.

Then there's that other thing, which is that he's yet another one-sided HC. Anyone really trust Kingsbury to coach up an NFL defense? Or should we be impressed with his "improvement" these past 2 seasons because he managed to get TT's PA back under 40 ppg. Yes recruiting plays a big part of college success, but TT had 1 losing season the prior 20 years before KK, and this happened 4 of their last 5 under KK's watch. Then after getting off to a fast start his first season things never really got good ever again in the rest of his 6 seasons there. 

I get the desire for an offensive-minded HC, but teams need to field and coach up a defense. You can't just field an offense and boom you go to the playoffs. Not that he's ever successfully coached up a QB himself anyway who didn't need someone else to undo the bad habits learned under KK.

While I fully admit I don't watch college ball, on paper I'm just not seeing what's the big deal with this one. Is it just the hope of theoretical upside of supposedly-untapped talent? Because it seems like it's just that.

(Lol now watch he'll end up being the best HC of the lot).

I know you admit you don’t watch college ball, but why not just leave it at that, why create some fabricated narrative of his college tenure to make him seem a lot worse than he really is? Let me start by saying I’m not completely sold on Kingsbury as head coach of this team right now, but his offensive acumen shouldn’t really be coming into question, especially not for some of the reasons you’re citing.

For starters, Mahomes certainly was considered a prospect that needed some further seasoning after he was drafted, with many advising he needed some development time, but to exaggerate that to claim that he needed to “relearn the position” is ridiculous and unsupported. Why you chose to omit anything relating to the topic of Alex Smith is rather questionable, don’t you think he might have been a major factor with this wait period that you’re using as an indictment on Kliff’s coaching abilities? 

You do realize that this isn’t just Mahomes playing in your ordinary Andy Reid offense? The Chiefs playbook had to be almost completely overhauled when the team switched from Smith to Mahomes and included in the new playbook were some plays from…you guessed it Texas Tech and that horrible offense that didn’t adequately prepare Mahomes for the NFL game.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/poll-will-changes-to-the-playbook-help-or-hurt-the-chiefs-offense-in-2018/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/09/18/patrick-mahomes-and-andy-reid-should-be-illegal/

Andy Reid certainly has done a phenomenal job with Mahomes, credit to him for seeing such an obvious talent and being able to get the most of out of him but this was no miracle coaching job. Andy Reid is successful with Mahomes because he is no dummy, he’s been on record as saying that the college offense is at least 5 years ahead of the pros so why wouldn’t he take a guy who had tons of success running that same offense and borrow heavily from it? Watch any game from the Chiefs this year and you can instantly tell they have a strong influence of Mike Leach’s air raid offense, the same one installed at Tech by Kingsbury.

As for Baker, I can’t really argue if you don’t want to give Kliff credit for Baker’s success post Texas Tech, he was only there for a short period of time so that makes sense. I will however give Kliff the credit for discovering Baker in the first place. Baker couldn’t get a scholarship to play at any other major program and was able to be the first true freshman walk on to start a season at QB so he definitely played the best guy regardless of circumstance prior to him getting injured.

Brining up David Webb is beyond ridiculous that it’s almost hard to tell if you’re still being serious here. So because he didn’t turn Davis Webb the great 87th overall pick into a pro bowler his first 2 years in the league the guy doesn’t know offense or how to develop QBs now? Seems like a completely rational argument. Why not change the narrative to give credit to the fact that Kingsbury is able to turn QBs like Webb into good enough players to get drafted in the 3rd round to begin with, when we have no indication that Webb, a low 3 star recruit in HS (0.867 rating on 247 which usually projects to be about a future 7th rounder AT BEST), had any business EVER getting drafted that high to begin with. 

Add in the fact that he was QB coach at Houston for Case Keenum while he was becoming the NCAA all time passing leader and also worked with Manziel his freshman year at A&M and it’s hard to deny that this guy has a knack for being around talented QBs. His lack of success at Texas Tech isn't anything to just sweep under the rug, the record is what it is, but it’s hardly the single piece of damning evidence to prove that he can’t be an NFL head coach.

I understand why he took the Tech job, it being his alma mater and all but anyone who pays attention to the college football landscape knows how crazy difficult it is to win consistently at Texas Tech. In the entire history of that program only one man, arguably the greatest offensive mind in all of football over the last decade, has ever been able to bring sustained success to that program. Not easy to win when you’re arguably the 5th or 6th most relevant school in your own state in any given season.  

His knowledge of defense is a concern but a good DC hire would negate that. My biggest concern with Kliff is almost just that, can he put an adequate staff together that can help hide some of his other shortcoming as a head coach so that he can just focus primarily on developing Darnold and building a great offense. If Arizona ends up with him, I'm completely fine with that, but there is good reason why this guy has gotten a lot of publicity as an offensive innovator, besides just his similar cheek bone structure to Sean McVay. 

He lead Temple to a win over Penn State for the first time in decades.
The guy has coaching/playing experience at damn near every position of the game, has the better part of a decades experience orchestrating an offense, is highly regarded as a leader/motivator and has connections to Coughlin...
Not a terrible resume by any stretch 

You keep harping on his connection to Coughlin, what in the world does that have to do with his qualifications?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

30 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not sure. NYJ wants a QB guru to develop Darnold. I think we are waiting it out to see if we can have our cake and eat it too, with a Rhule/Kingsbury OC or Rhule/Monken OC combo.

If Kingsbury or Monken don’t want that, I think we pass on Rhule and go with Kings o Monk.

Rhule is a well respected/liked HC. He will have his choice of OCs. Working under Matt with Sam Darnold is a dream job for any OC and a direct path towards getting a HC offed down the road 

17 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Ever been to South Bend?  Do you know where USC is located?  

Location is a tired excuse for a college program not having a clue in how to build a winning sports culture.  

No it's not.  Lubbock is in the western-most part of Texas.  There is literally nothing there but oil companies and there are some hard times there.  It is over 3 hours from Dallas, San Antonio et. al where all the action is.  Was listening to Serius NFL Network about it and the recruiting for that school is very very difficult.  Location matters a lot more than you think.

9 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

You keep harping on his connection to Coughlin, what in the world does that have to do with his qualifications?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It, coupled with Andy Reid raving about him, says he has NFL connections. 

One of the biggest questions surrounding him if he gets the job is going to be his ability to assemble a quality NFL coaching staff. So yes, having ties to guys like Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid matters to me.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

It, coupled with Andy Reid raving about him, says he has NFL connections. 

One of the biggest questions surrounding him if he gets the job is going to be his ability to assemble a quality NFL coaching staff. So yes, having ties to guys like Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid matters to me.

NFL connections don't win you games.

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

They help you assemble a coaching staff. 

I don’t get what’s so hard to understand about this.

Todd Bowles has a lot of NFL connections and he brought in Chan Gailey and Jeremy Bates. Two guys who were out of football when he brought them back. The fact is that many very good offensive minds would like to be connected to Darnold if they have HC aspirations. As far as defense is concerned any veteran DC would jump at the opportunity to have completely control of the defense and take all of the credit like Vic Fangio and Wade Phillips are doing. If the Jets hire Kingsbury there is already a blueprint that has been mapped out by the Rams and Bears on how to assemble a staff with a bright, young, inexperienced offensive HC.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Quality, veteran NFL coaches who can help out a guy who has next to no NFL coaching experience.

Have heard that in two or three spots now about Rhule. Actually, I think Boomer made that point first last week on his show before anybody even heard his name mentioned.

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Rhule is a well respected/liked HC. He will have his choice of OCs. Working under Matt with Sam Darnold is a dream job for any OC and a direct path towards getting a HC offed down the road 

I like Rhule. He is a CEO type of coach. Thats fine. But we need to ensure Darnold’s development. I just don’t think they hire Rhule without having the OC they want already agreed upon.

12 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Gase is looking better - much like the ladies as the clock nears 2am

not much news on Bieniemy 

Gase still looks like a weasel no matter what time of day it is.  But physical apearance should not be a factor. :)

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm old enough to remember when Gil Brandts opinions meant something....but I dont much care for hiring Rhule, either. 

Godfather GIl Brandt still has more legitimate sources throughout the NFL than any other human being on planet Earth.  Try listening to the old guy on Serius NFL and he just seems to know everyone and everything.  For example: Last February  (a little after superbowl) but before the "legal tampering" period or any legit negotiation period he said that the Minnesita Vikings were going to announce a huge FA signing with a unique contract.  He didn't say "might".  He said will.  He also said he was not at liberty to disclose anything more.  He knew that the Cousins 3-year fully guaranteed deal was already in place via handshake (and this was before the Jets visited with Cousins).   The guy has more reliable sources than ANYONE.  I listen to him any time his show is on and I am in the car.  It's not his opinions that matter (although I like hearing them) it's his reliability on telling us what is going to happen, because you won't hear the standard bullcrap from him as you do with most of the others.  Brandt is just a fountain of good info.  Give him a try again.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Godfather GIl Brandt still has more legitimate sources throughout the NFL than any other human being on planet Earth.  Try listening to the old guy on Serius NFL and he just seems to know everyone and everything.  For example: Last February  (about a week or so after superbowl) long before the tampering period or any legit negotiation period he said that the Minnesita Vikings were going to announce a huge FA signing with a unique contract.  He didn't say "might".  He said will.  He also said he was not at liberty to disclose anything more.  He knew that the Cousins deal was already in place via handshake (and this was before the Jets visited with Cousins).    The guy has more reliable sources than ANYONE.  I listen to him any time his show is on and I am in the car.  It's not his opinions that matter (although I like hearing them) it's his reliability on telling us what is going to happen, because you won't hear the standard bullcrap from him as yu do with most of the others.  Brandt is just a fountain of good info.  Give him a try again.

He is still pretty plugged in. I missed it on Rhule...Gil does or doesn't like him as an NFL coach? Why, or why not? TNX

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

So the Jets are tentative want to go through a long drawn out process with 2nd interviews. Cardinals taking advantage ready to offer him the job even before the interview to steal him knowing he would prefer the Jets. Chris Johnson never fails to disappoint me.

KK is simply not ready to be an NFL HC.  If Arizona wants to roll the dice on him, all power to them and I wish them success.  He probably should be an OC somewhere instead TBH. 

Just now, Dcat said:

KK is simply not ready to be an NFL HC.  If Arizona wants to roll the dice on him, all power to them and I wish them success.  He probably should be an OC somewhere instead TBH. 

I agree here.  This guy may be a very good offensive mind but that does not make a good HC. Coaching at TT is not the NYJ.

Here's a strike against KK - he needs better taste in friends:

“I played with Kliff and we have been friends ever since,” Brady said on WEEI, via NBCSportsBoston.com. “I see him from time to time. He’s been a friend of mine for a long time. Kliff has done a great job at Texas Tech, and I know he’s at USC, but it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of teams are interested. He’s just a great football mind and will be successful wherever he’s at.”

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

He is still pretty plugged in. I missed it on Rhule...Gil does or doesn't like him as an NFL coach? Why, or why not? TNX

When Gil is not a fan of something, he never says anything bad.  He hesitates... and finds something nice to say, but it's obvious.  He  highly praised Rhule for what he was able to do at Temple and afterwards at Baylor.  Spoke well of his character.  It's what he didn't say that worried me.  I agree that Rhule is a high character guy with natural leadership characterisitics.  But does that stuff work as well with NFL divas as it does with 17 -22 year old non-elite NCAA players?  There are risks with Rhule.  There are risks with each and every available candidate.   There are no slam-dunks this year.

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Here's a strike against KK - he needs better taste in friends:

“I played with Kliff and we have been friends ever since,” Brady said on WEEI, via NBCSportsBoston.com. “I see him from time to time. He’s been a friend of mine for a long time. Kliff has done a great job at Texas Tech, and I know he’s at USC, but it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of teams are interested. He’s just a great football mind and will be successful wherever he’s at.”

that's all code for either he had relations with Kliff or really wanted to have relations with Kliff.   

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

When Gil is not a fan of something, he never says anything bad.  He hesitates... and finds something nice to say, but it's obvious.  He  highly praised Rhule for what he was able to do at Temple and afterwards at Baylor.  Spoke well of his character.  It's what he didn't say that worried me.  I agree that Rhule is a high character guy with natural leadership characterisitics.  But does that stuff work as well with NFL divas as it does with 17 -22 year old non-elite NCAA players?  There are risks with Rhule.  There are risks with each and every available candidate.   There are no slam-dunks this year.

Tnx. Good points.

Archived