Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

It, coupled with Andy Reid raving about him, says he has NFL connections. 

One of the biggest questions surrounding him if he gets the job is going to be his ability to assemble a quality NFL coaching staff. So yes, having ties to guys like Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid matters to me.

Can they help him with his total absence of NFL experience?  I don't count one year as assistant to the assistant of the assistant as relevant experience.  

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

Can they help him with his total absence of NFL experience?  I don't count one year as assistant to the assistant of the assistant as relevant experience.  

I don’t even understand what you’re arguing here.

Are you honestly trying to say that an inexperienced NFL coach having connections to guys who have decades of NFL coaching experience is in no way beneficial?

I don’t think we had any intentions of hiring anyone, until everyone was interviewed. Letting Kliff go to Arizona doesn’t mean they don’t want him. 

They probably told him we have another interview tomorrow, then we’ll make a decision. If he wants to pick Arizona before we make our decision than so be it.

44 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t even understand what you’re arguing here.

Are you honestly trying to say that an inexperienced NFL coach having connections to guys who have decades of NFL coaching experience is in no way beneficial?

For making "connections" sure.  For leading an NFL team and coaching on Sunday, not so much.

12 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Welp....KK was working this morning...but not in his office at USC.  Flew out for an interview with the Jets today, not offered the job, is now flying in the Cardinals jet to sign there in the morning.  Evidently preferred the Jets job.  ?

Where do you get your info???

276BAF8B-6803-4F98-939A-FCBA9F14B87D.thumb.jpeg.820964a8a5b6ff47841f4c304c3eb0ba.jpeg.58d0eb1fceab60c1c311e8e2e108aa60.jpeg

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Todd Bowles has a lot of NFL connections and he brought in Chan Gailey and Jeremy Bates. 

Todd Bowles is a good NFL DC and people know who he is but that's not the same as having connections 

and the Kliff Kingsbury watch continues 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Todd Bowles is a good NFL DC and people know who he is but that's not the same as having connections 

and the Kliff Kingsbury watch continues 

Todd Bowles came highly recommended by Bill Parcells who he worked for. He worked for Bruce Arians and Andy Reid as well. He had plenty of connections.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Todd Bowles came highly recommended by Bill Parcells who he worked for. He worked for Bruce Arians and Andy Reid as well. He had plenty of connections.

again, people knowing who you are, liking you, even hiring you is not the same as having connections

connections is when doors are closed for everyone else open for you

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

again, people knowing who you are, liking you, even hiring you is not the same as having connections

connections is when doors are closed for everyone else open for you

Here's a door that opened, he became a HC of an NFL team that admires Parcells like a God. You don't think his "connection" to Parcells gave him a leg up with the Jets organization? Then he had 3 terrible seasons in a row all with bad defenses, his bread and butter, and he's still the front runner to become the DC in TB when Arians gets hired bc of his "connection" to Arians. He also just met with the Redskins yesterday to have a discussion about a possible role there. He has plenty of connections in the league between being a player and coach.

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Here's a door that opened, he became a HC of an NFL team that admires Parcells like a God. You don't think his "connection" to Parcells gave him a leg up with the Jets organization? Then he had 3 terrible seasons in a row all with bad defenses, his bread and butter, and he's still the front runner to become the DC in TB when Arians gets hired bc of his "connection" to Arians. He also just met with the Redskins yesterday to have a discussion about a possible role there. He has plenty of connections in the league between being a player and coach.

maybe you are right maybe Bowles has all the connections in the world 

what does that say about this job? 

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

maybe you are right maybe Bowles has all the connections in the world 

what does that say about this job? 

It's been a sh*t show up until now. That's pretty clear. Drafting Darnold completely turned that around.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

You weren't.  Maybe just a delayed flight. :P

Thing is, this was the craziest back and forth, rumors, knee jerk reactions involving USC and our insiders I’ve ever witnessed....and the NFL people were worse with misinformation.

I know Ryan Abraham and my friend Scott Schrader are as connected as they come, and they were hearing different things it seems every minute.

In the end, the Cardinals are the Cardinals...hiring Kliff as HC is just crazy.

5 hours ago, FO-Ti said:

I know you admit you don’t watch college ball, but why not just leave it at that, why create some fabricated narrative of his college tenure to make him seem a lot worse than he really is? Let me start by saying I’m not completely sold on Kingsbury as head coach of this team right now, but his offensive acumen shouldn’t really be coming into question, especially not for some of the reasons you’re citing.

For starters, Mahomes certainly was considered a prospect that needed some further seasoning after he was drafted, with many advising he needed some development time, but to exaggerate that to claim that he needed to “relearn the position” is ridiculous and unsupported. Why you chose to omit anything relating to the topic of Alex Smith is rather questionable, don’t you think he might have been a major factor with this wait period that you’re using as an indictment on Kliff’s coaching abilities? 

You do realize that this isn’t just Mahomes playing in your ordinary Andy Reid offense? The Chiefs playbook had to be almost completely overhauled when the team switched from Smith to Mahomes and included in the new playbook were some plays from…you guessed it Texas Tech and that horrible offense that didn’t adequately prepare Mahomes for the NFL game.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/poll-will-changes-to-the-playbook-help-or-hurt-the-chiefs-offense-in-2018/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/09/18/patrick-mahomes-and-andy-reid-should-be-illegal/

Andy Reid certainly has done a phenomenal job with Mahomes, credit to him for seeing such an obvious talent and being able to get the most of out of him but this was no miracle coaching job. Andy Reid is successful with Mahomes because he is no dummy, he’s been on record as saying that the college offense is at least 5 years ahead of the pros so why wouldn’t he take a guy who had tons of success running that same offense and borrow heavily from it? Watch any game from the Chiefs this year and you can instantly tell they have a strong influence of Mike Leach’s air raid offense, the same one installed at Tech by Kingsbury.

As for Baker, I can’t really argue if you don’t want to give Kliff credit for Baker’s success post Texas Tech, he was only there for a short period of time so that makes sense. I will however give Kliff the credit for discovering Baker in the first place. Baker couldn’t get a scholarship to play at any other major program and was able to be the first true freshman walk on to start a season at QB so he definitely played the best guy regardless of circumstance prior to him getting injured.

Brining up David Webb is beyond ridiculous that it’s almost hard to tell if you’re still being serious here. So because he didn’t turn Davis Webb the great 87th overall pick into a pro bowler his first 2 years in the league the guy doesn’t know offense or how to develop QBs now? Seems like a completely rational argument. Why not change the narrative to give credit to the fact that Kingsbury is able to turn QBs like Webb into good enough players to get drafted in the 3rd round to begin with, when we have no indication that Webb, a low 3 star recruit in HS (0.867 rating on 247 which usually projects to be about a future 7th rounder AT BEST), had any business EVER getting drafted that high to begin with. 

Add in the fact that he was QB coach at Houston for Case Keenum while he was becoming the NCAA all time passing leader and also worked with Manziel his freshman year at A&M and it’s hard to deny that this guy has a knack for being around talented QBs. His lack of success at Texas Tech isn't anything to just sweep under the rug, the record is what it is, but it’s hardly the single piece of damning evidence to prove that he can’t be an NFL head coach.

I understand why he took the Tech job, it being his alma mater and all but anyone who pays attention to the college football landscape knows how crazy difficult it is to win consistently at Texas Tech. In the entire history of that program only one man, arguably the greatest offensive mind in all of football over the last decade, has ever been able to bring sustained success to that program. Not easy to win when you’re arguably the 5th or 6th most relevant school in your own state in any given season.  

His knowledge of defense is a concern but a good DC hire would negate that. My biggest concern with Kliff is almost just that, can he put an adequate staff together that can help hide some of his other shortcoming as a head coach so that he can just focus primarily on developing Darnold and building a great offense. If Arizona ends up with him, I'm completely fine with that, but there is good reason why this guy has gotten a lot of publicity as an offensive innovator, besides just his similar cheek bone structure to Sean McVay. 

First off, props for your post length. 

Second, working with a player (Manziel) doesn't mean he actually did anything. On the contrary he ignored Manziel (the player's contention, which the coach didn't and doesn't deny). It seems he didn't like Manziel as a player and offered a scholarship to David Webb instead. That's why bringing up Webb is not ridiculous. It was his assessment that Webb was the more valuable to have between the two. 

Bringing up players like Mahomes, who then needed major work after precious time with him, doesn't therefore insinuate the time spent with him was valuable. It says that after spending time under KK's coaching the player was still raw. But just a short time under someone else and the player is then polished.

It's easy to say he rode the coattails of talented players. 

The rest of this post is beneath me with the absurd exaggerations. ("So because he didn’t turn Davis Webb the great 87th overall pick into a pro bowler his first 2 years in the league the guy doesn’t know offense or how to develop QBs now?"). Yeah that's just what I said -- you go with that. Lol

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First off, props for your post length. 

Second, working with a player (Manziel) doesn't mean he actually did anything. On the contrary he ignored Manziel (the player's contention, which the coach didn't and doesn't deny). It seems he didn't like Manziel as a player and offered a scholarship to David Webb instead. That's why bringing up Webb is not ridiculous. It was his assessment that Webb was the more valuable to have between the two. 

Bringing up players like Mahomes, who then needed major work after precious time with him, doesn't therefore insinuate the time spent with him was valuable. It says that after spending time under KK's coaching the player was still raw. But just a short time under someone else and the player is then polished.

It's easy to say he rode the coattails of talented players. 

The rest of this post is beneath me with the absurd exaggerations. ("So because he didn’t turn Davis Webb the great 87th overall pick into a pro bowler his first 2 years in the league the guy doesn’t know offense or how to develop QBs now?"). Yeah that's just what I said -- you go with that. Lol

You are confusing Manziel for Mayfield. Kingsbury was both the QB coach and offensive coordinator for Johnny Manziel his first season at Texas A&M, which happened to be the year he won his Heisman. Look at what KK did his only season at Texas A&M, the team won 11 games including a win over #1 Alabama and Oklahoma in the Cotton bowl. The team did decent the next year, although not as good as with KK's offense, and they haven't been anywhere close since leading to the firing of Kevin Sumlin last year. Hard to say he wasn't a huge part of there success as well as the great couple of years he had with Sumlin at Houston. This guy had a pretty legit resume before ever taking the job at Texas Tech.

I already said I didn't think he should get that much credit for much of anything to do with Mayfield, his best play was under coach Riley at OU but you conveniently ignore the fact that Kingsbury was the only major FBS school to offer Mayfield a chance to win the starting job outright.

No other schools deemed him even good enough to even give him the opportunity to walk on, including his favorite school Texas as well as Oklahoma. Kingsbury gave him the starting job over Webb initially, then Mayfield lost it to injury, and the rest is history. The mistake KK made in hindsight by sticking with Webb is easy to overlook in my eyes considering no one was even willing to get Mayfield into there building in the first place. He doesn't get a chance to go to OU as a walk on without his brief audition at Texas Tech and anything to the contrary is nothing more than speculation on your part.  

You bring up how unpolished Mahomes was but continue to ignore the success he had at Texas Tech where he was the Big 12 passing leader for two straight seasons. The guy goes to the school as a 3 star QB and leaves as a top 10 pick and some how you think that KK didn't do enough for him? 

I love Andy Reid and the term "QB whisperer" term gets thrown around too often but he's one guy who earns that title, but even he isn't good enough to turn an absolute project into one of the top 3 seasons in NFL history in just one year. The fact remains that you and I both don't know how Mahomes would have performed as a rookie last year so we can never say how raw or not he really was. 

I've already said too much again but can't let that last bit go. Tell me this isn't YOUR post that YOU wrote. 

Webb

This then this brings us to Davis Webb; a failure as an NFL QB, who was yet another Kingsbury QB who was considered a raw project after leaving his oversight. He needed so much work post-KK the Giants gave up on him after just 1 season and then spent the next year on our PS (save the few games he was activated to backup while Darnold was sidelined).

Did I include a bit of hyperbole in my "So because he didn’t turn Davis Webb the great 87th overall pick into a pro bowler his first 2 years in the league the guy doesn’t know offense or how to develop QBs now?", sure... that hardly distracts from the salient point unless you want to conveniently ignore what I originally wrote which seems to be your option right now.

You maintain that Webb's lack of NFL success is a sign of KK's inability to properly develop him. I maintain the fact that you can't prove that Webb was ever deserving to be a 3rd round QB to begin with prior to working with KK. Whatever, he's in Arizona now so you won't have to worry about him, but still find it odd you try such lengths to discredit a coach who you admittedly don't and haven't followed all that closely but to each his own. 

16 hours ago, FO-Ti said:

You are confusing Manziel for Mayfield.

No I'm talking about Mayfield not Manziel. They were together in 2013, no? Then for 2014+ he went with Davis Webb instead of Mayfield (to whom he didn't extend a scholarship, in favor of the former). That is the QB I was talking about. I never mentioned Manziel.

17 hours ago, FO-Ti said:

You maintain that Webb's lack of NFL success is a sign of KK's inability to properly develop him. I maintain the fact that you can't prove that Webb was ever deserving to be a 3rd round QB to begin with prior to working with KK. Whatever, he's in Arizona now so you won't have to worry about him, but still find it odd you try such lengths to discredit a coach who you admittedly don't and haven't followed all that closely but to each his own. 

No, I never said any such thing. YOU said that and are putting words in my mouth to then argue against it.

What I suggested is Webb's success at the college level can be attributed to the diluted talent pool at that level, but when he got to the pros we saw what all that prior "development" was actually worth: nothing. Just like Mayfield needed to go elsewhere to become a success. Just like Mahomes needed overhauling.

I'm not saying he is a useless sack of crap. I'm saying it could easily be looked at as he's getting full credit for these things: players who were talented in their own right, players who needed overhauling after leaving him, and players who looked good only against inferior talent like hundreds of other college QBs who were zeros beyond the NCAA level. 

Archived