Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

All everyone talks about with Kingsbury is his offensive schemes. Not a peep about his abilities as a leader, his organizational skills, his clock management. You know why? Because nobody knows. All the fans hear is that he's the hot new offensive mind and they run with it. If there are any Kingsbury fans out there who watched every Texas Tech game during his stint as HC, please enlighten us.

*crickets*

Risk there with lots of people. Otherwise stick with retreads.

EDIT:  I'd also wager these is some heavy Ex-Jet bias when it comes to K.K. as well.

Jets Fans love nothing more than making ex-players into future Head Coaches in their mind.

You saw it back int he day all the time with Chad Pennington.

Plenty have said the same about McCown.

Both Frost and K.K. get more love as NFL Head Coaches here than I've ever seen elsewhere.

So combine the allure of the unknown big-passing kid with him being an ex-Jet.....and you have the love he gets here.

IMO.

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Kingsbury was able to recruit the same players Saban does he would also look like a College Football genius. It's not always as simple as looking at wins/losses in college football. 

IF that were really the case, why would they have fired him?  Wouldn't the next coach deal with the same problem? If he is so great that we want to offer him the very rare promotion after getting fired, I don't see why he was fired in the first place. This one seems fishy to me.  Smells like trout it does. 

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Saw a tweet earlier about McDaniels leaving NE and them having interest in Kliff. Lets hope not lol

go to a declining Tom Brady for a couple more years or work with 20 year old Sam Darlord and 100 million in cap.

hmmm.

Just now, Green DNA said:

Maybe not, but I keep looking and don't see anything that wows me.  Are you saying that he got fired for his poor recruiting?

Ummm yeah it's all tied together. Coaching college football is completely different than being an NFL Head Coach. 

Dennis Green- 26-63 record as a College Coach

Tom Coughlin- 41-39 record as a College Coach

Then look at the College Coaches with great records who went to the NFL and failed:

Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Lou Holtz.

A Coaches college record has no bearing on whether he can or can't be a HC in the NFL. I actually like that he'd gotten a vote of confidence from some of the Jets players and also Mahomes. I think that speaks more about him than his record at a history average college.

The fact is that the Jets have been swift, proactive and thorough in this interview process. They seem to being doing much better on their own than they did with Korn Ferry, Charlie Casserly or Ron Wolf. Credit where credit is due. Now... if they would only make the right selection!

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

while some are pointing to his inability to recruit as his downfall, some point to his poor defenses

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725832-kliff-kingsbury-reportedly-fired-as-texas-tech-head-coach-after-6-seasons

An offense like his puts a Major strain on his defense... it's like the run & shoot offense of the 80's... the biggest issue was keeping their defense fresh... they would score so quickly thier defense couldn't help but get beat for a score themselves.

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

An offense like his puts a Major strain on his defense... it's like the run & shoot offense of the 80's... the biggest issue was keeping their defense fresh... they would score so quickly thire defense couldn't help but get beat for a score themselves.

count me in 

Tho you’d want a more experienced guy in the HC role, I don’t think you can let this guy leave because you want him to be the OC. He’ll be good for Darnold and good for Macc in terms of knowing which players make for the future of NFL offenses. 

23 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Very True.  I don't know if he will be a good HC or not, but no one can recruit to Lubbock, TX

Lately it's been very hard to recruit to Florham Park NJ too. And that's with MILLIONS of dollars :P

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

KK would have to bring in a veteran defensive coordinator like Greg Williams or someone of his stature.

now this I can get behind....williams on defense makes him more attractive. From everything I have read so far defense wasnt an area of interest for him and the cause for the record 

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

go to a declining Tom Brady for a couple more years or work with 20 year old Sam Darlord and 100 million in cap.

hmmm.

While I agree my concern is our FO not having enough balls to offer this guy a contract. Thus allowing him to walk and go to the Pats. Also $100mil in cao is great but it's a lot less impressive when you have a terrible talent evaluator spending and managing the cash.

7 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

while some are pointing to his inability to recruit as his downfall, some point to his poor defenses

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725832-kliff-kingsbury-reportedly-fired-as-texas-tech-head-coach-after-6-seasons

The only thing in that whole article that matters is the tweet from Mahomes that thanks him for believing in him and helping him become the QB he is today.

The defense nonsense is just nonsense. If they do hire Kingsbury they just follow the same blueprint the Rams and Bears did. You hire veteran DC's (Wade Phillips & Vic Fangio) who run the whole show and let they let McVay and Nagy run the offense and groom the QB. Worrying about Texas Techs defense as to how it relates to what defense he'd bring to the Jets is ridiculous.

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Did we get confirmation they met with Rhule? I didn't see it. 

They were in TX yesterday and were the last to interview Richard.  I'd bet a lot of money they did yesterday afternoon.

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Mike Leach had some good seasons there.  

Mike Leach did recruit better, but it was still not great overall nationally.   Besides Mike Leach is a wizard, pirate, and national treasure.    

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The only thing in that whole article that matters is the tweet from Mahomes that thanks him for believing in him and helping him become the QB he is today.

The defense nonsense is just nonsense. If they do hire Kingsbury they just follow the same blueprint the Rams and Bears did. You hire veteran DC's (Wade Phillips & Vic Fangio) who run the whole show and let they let McVay and Nagy run the offense and groom the QB. Worrying about Texas Techs defense as to how it relates to what defense he'd bring to the Jets is ridiculous.

I'd rather let him get his practice at another franchise....not worth the risk.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This

KK would have to bring in a veteran defensive coordinator like Greg Williams or someone of his stature.

You have to be careful with that though. I don’t know a lot about KK but if he’s going to run an offense that will put serious strain on the defense, you better have a DC that knows what he’s getting into. Going to be a lot of shoutouts. A vet DC might have real problems with that.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived