Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

23 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

while some are pointing to his inability to recruit as his downfall, some point to his poor defenses

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725832-kliff-kingsbury-reportedly-fired-as-texas-tech-head-coach-after-6-seasons

He had some pretty good QBs in Mahomes, Baker and Webb. So he had high end talent at the most important position. 

If we hire KK it’s mostly off of projections. We are taking a chance. It’s a gamble. F it. i say let it roll.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Very True.  I don't know if he will be a good HC or not, but no one can recruit to Lubbock, TX

Ever been to South Bend?  Do you know where USC is located?  

Location is a tired excuse for a college program not having a clue in how to build a winning sports culture.  

Just now, GreenFish said:

He had some pretty good QBs in Mahomes, Baker and Webb. So he high end talent at the most important position. 

If we hire KK it’s because mostly off of projections. We are taking a chance. It’s a gamble. F it. i say let it roll.

thats actually the part that concerns me..he has good qb's and still lost. It's a HUGE risk and after this many years I'm willing to take a risk on one of these other guys but this guy has too many holes in his story. 

I just don't get it. So many people on here wanting to do the best for Sam we're interviewing a guy that coached Davis Webb,Mahomes and Mayfield. He's also behind one of the more explosive offenses in CFB I think if we give this guy a real gritty defensive coordinator and let him develop Sam while implementing his offense we will be in really good shape. 

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I just don't get it. So many people on here wanting to do the best for Sam we're interviewing a guy that coached Davis Webb,Mahomes and Mayfield. He's also behind one of the more explosive offenses in CFB I think if we give this guy a real gritty defensive coordinator and let him develop Sam while implementing his offense we will be in really good shape. 

Maybe Davis Webb has been selling KK.

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Why do posters like this guy? He didn’t win in college and isn’t even a HC in college now and has zero NFL coaching experience. And if I’m not mistaken ran a bs college style offense in college  

I dont ******* get it. 

Before the season ended, who the hell knew who Monken, Rhule, Kingsbury, and Richard were? All these interviews have been out of left field. 

The only hire that seems right is McCarthy. The rest of the guys are a swing and a prayer.

I think the support for KK is because of how much players and media folks talk about his offensive acumen. So, if you are going to swing blindly, might as well try and swing at the guy who is being taughted as an offensive genious. Don’t want to speak for his supporters, but that’s my take.

1 minute ago, Jets1958 said:

Maybe Davis Webb has been selling KK.

I certainly hope so. This is the guy to hire and even if we're wrong and he sucks for 3 years which I don't see happening. Sam will only be 24 lol 

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Before the season ended, who the hell knew who Monken, Rhule, Kingsbury, and Richard were? All these interviews have been out of left field. 

The only hire that seems right is McCarthy. The rest of the guys are a swing and a prayer.

I think the support for KK is because of how much players and media folks talk about his offensive acumen. So, if you are going to swing blindly, might as well try and swing at the guy who is being taughted as an offensive genious. Don’t want to speak for his supporters, but that’s my take.

It feels like a Chip Kelly hiring. 

10 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Mahomes was raw coming into the league. He couldn’t read NFL defenses. His mechanics weren’t there. He had to sit an entire year and learn from Andy. If he couldn’t get a prospect Pro ready that wasn’t even a better prospect than Darnold coming out of college, why would he be able to get Darnold polished in the pros? 

He couldn’t even recognize Mayfield’s talent. He didn’t touch Mayfield. Mayfield developed under Lincoln Riley who incorporated pro concepts. 

As far as explosive offenses? Bro..every Big 10 team is an explosive offense. Big 10 defense’s are pretty much nonexistent. Creative is good but is it the end all/be all for a HC? Absolutely not. 

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's the all or nothing mentality.

Many Jets Fans revile "safe" choices or simply competitive choices. 

To them, 9-7 and a Wildcard loss is as bad (or worse) than going 1-15.

K.K. is the all or nothing choice, the exciting unknown with upside.

K.K. is swinging for the fences, for that "next McVey".

Doesn't matter than the odds are poor, what matters is that we went for it all in one big go.  No safe choices.  No half measures.  No wasting time of competitive, it's either greatness or nothing.

If we fail, we just get back up and swing for the fences again.

In another thread I likened it to the "lose for draft picks" crowd.  Like that group, it's all or nothing.  Either a Super Bowl or go 0-16 and get that #1 pick so we can get a Super Bowl NEXT year.

Can't say I agree with this side much, but it's just a different way of looking at things.

Not sure if you wrote this thinking of me, but I am very very much that guy (not the draft pick version). I just don't understand accepting mediocrity. Many of the arguments I see for McCarthy are something like McCarthy might not be the best head coach but he is a proven winner and we will be better than we were. Maybe not the highest upside, but he is a safe pick and all coordinator picks sucked". Just seems so lukewarm and fatalistic. Fear of failing in getting a GREAT head coach is greater than the pain of accepting the mediocre guy. 9-7 and a wildcard is better than 1-15 if you are building something better but if that is your ceiling, no thanks. Do you want Marvin Lewis? Because he is that guy.

KK would be an aggressive choice. But is he really that risky?  He would be good for Darnold. The offense is likely to be successful. Players would likely respond well to him (see Jets fans openly campaigning for him). I have read he is good at in game management. So he's not super knowlegeable about defense, and the logistics of actually being a head coach and in charge of the management and scheduling issues would be a challenge, but both those could be addressed by an Assistant HC/DC type hire. But it is aggressively building around Darnold, not settling

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mahomes was raw coming into the league. He couldn’t read NFL defenses. His mechanics weren’t there. He had to sit an entire year and learn from Andy. If he couldn’t get a prospect that wasn’t even a better prospect than Darnold coming out of college, why would he be able to get Darnold polished in the pros? 

He couldn’t even recognize Mayfield’s talent. He didn’t touch Mayfield. Mayfield developed under Lincoln Riley who incorporated pro concepts. 

As far as explosive offenses? Bro..every Big 10 team is an explosive offense. Big 10 defense’s are pretty much nonexistent. Creative is good but is it the end all/be all for a HC? Absolutely not. 

We're really gonna act like Kliff has nothing to do with Mahomes? Cmon man. Kliffs also been praised by other top college coaches for his in game decisions and as an elite playcaller.  One of the most desireable CFB programs picked this guy up to run its offense like 4 days after he left Tech. He knows how to run an offense and put up points which would be a breathe of fresh air around here. I do like Monken too though I should say.

33 minutes ago, Pac said:

They were in TX yesterday and were the last to interview Richard.  I'd bet a lot of money they did yesterday afternoon.

Yeah that's our assumption, but I would think we'd heard something by now no?   Seems unlikely that it happened even considering the respect for the recruiting process they were talking about.  

EDIT:   It was answered a few posts later.  We did interview him. CJ and Macc are getting it done these days. Now we see if they can be closers. 

COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!!! 

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mahomes was raw coming into the league. He couldn’t read NFL defenses. His mechanics weren’t there. He had to sit an entire year and learn from Andy. If he couldn’t get a prospect Pro ready that wasn’t even a better prospect than Darnold coming out of college, why would he be able to get Darnold polished in the pros? 

Also Mayfield transferred because he knew he wasn't beating out Mahomes for that job. 

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

We're really gonna act like Kliff has nothing to do with Mahomes? Cmon man. Kliffs also been praised by other top college coaches for his in game decisions and as an elite playcaller.  One of the most desireable CFB programs picked this guy up to run its offense like 4 days after he left Tech. He knows how to run an offense and put up points which would be a breathe of fresh air around here. I do like Monken too though I should say.

I’m not saying he had nothing to do but what I am saying is that he didn’t have that kid Pro ready whatsoever. He was VERY raw. He did nothing to prepare him for NFL defenses.

28 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

The Jets have in fact already discussed their head coaching vacancy with Baylor's Matt Rhule. A native New Yorker with an impressive resume, including NFL coaching experience

Ahhh there it is.  Thank you. 

I am not all that knowledgable about Rhule, but he seems like a stronger candidate than KK for the HC position. No? 

24 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Why do posters like this guy? He didn’t win in college and isn’t even a HC in college now and has zero NFL coaching experience. And if I’m not mistaken ran a bs college style offense in college  

I dont ******* get it. 

Hmm. Spoken like someone who doesn’t know the Quavo voice

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He still didn’t touch him from a development standpoint.

Eh debatable but still the guys coached 2 young qbs who are having success in the NFL. Not saying he's the be all end all but he's definitely got a knack for talent and his qbs have success in his offense. Enter Darnold and it could be really exciting 

I still think the Jets saved Monken for last because he is their  consensus "guy". But there is certainly so much swirling around KK, and with the Patriots interest, KK could be the splash "big game" signing Johnson wants. He's not big game but would have the splash and attention of one

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m not going to argue that this guy isn’t a wild prayer type hire. But I think you are short changing him as a QB coach. Mahomes talked him up and said he helped his game. He also endorsed him as an innovative coach. He said this 1.5 years after working with Reid. So it’s not like he didn’t know any better. 

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

I’m not going to argue that this guy isn’t a wild prayer type hire. But I think you are short changing him as a QB coach. Mahomes talked him up and said he helped his game. He also endorsed him as an innovative coach. He said this 1.5 years after working with Reid. So it’s not like he didn’t know any better. 

He also credited Andy for showing him how to read NFL defenses. I think just by that, it shows you who contributed most to Mahomes playing on a high level in the NFL. 

Innovative is fine but what else can he do? Can he demand respect, coach to different types of players, adjust game plans? 

I just don’t know.

Archived