Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

Just now, johnnysd said:

I still think the Jets saved Monken for last because he is their  consensus "guy". But there is certainly so much swirling around KK, and with the Patriots interest, KK could be the splash "big game" signing Johnson wants. He's not big game but would have the splash and attention of one

Honestly a Monken/Kingsbury combo would be my first choice.  They come from the same “tree” and would inject some actual juice into this franchise.  

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I don't know. Interviewing a lot of Coordinators. Maybe McCarthy gave them a list and said get me these guys for my staff and you can announce us all together.

This would be my best case scenario!!!  For sure.  Like in the interview they just say "we have an agreement with Mike. He asked us specifically for you to be on his staff to lead Sam Darnold to the Super Bowl. We would like to hire all of you and announce it on the same day as a  unified unit to blow the doors off of the NFL!"  

Sam Darnold as the jewel of the crown that gets it all done. :)    Could you imagine?  

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I still think the Jets saved Monken for last because he is their  consensus "guy". But there is certainly so much swirling around KK, and with the Patriots interest, KK could be the splash "big game" signing Johnson wants. He's not big game but would have the splash and attention of one

Man I really like Monken and KK wouldn't mind either one of them 

42 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

thats actually the part that concerns me..he has good qb's and still lost. It's a HUGE risk and after this many years I'm willing to take a risk on one of these other guys but this guy has too many holes in his story. 

Well Texas Tech was 5-2 this year and then lost their starter and backup QB for the year. Win/Loss doesn't tell everything.

9 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’m not going to argue that this guy isn’t a wild prayer type hire. But I think you are short changing him as a QB coach. Mahomes talked him up and said he helped his game. He also endorsed him as an innovative coach. He said this 1.5 years after working with Reid. So it’s not like he didn’t know any better. 

Whenever we get these opinions from people who worked with others who are being considered for a position, we should ask ourselves something. What motivation do they have to say anything negative?  mahommes saying he was a good coach or that he helped him is the easiest thing to do. Just say something nice and move on.  I guess we could say that there wasn't anything overtly negative which would be good, but its not any reason to hire someone. 

Remember when Bill Parcells said Bowles was a good coach and a good hire?  Why would he say otherwise?  what motivation does he have?  He has no horse in the race. I'm sure he likes Todd as a man so say something nice about him.  Same thing applies here.  It really means very little.  

33 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mahomes was raw coming into the league. He couldn’t read NFL defenses. His mechanics weren’t there. He had to sit an entire year and learn from Andy. If he couldn’t get a prospect Pro ready that wasn’t even a better prospect than Darnold coming out of college, why would he be able to get Darnold polished in the pros? 

He couldn’t even recognize Mayfield’s talent. He didn’t touch Mayfield. Mayfield developed under Lincoln Riley who incorporated pro concepts. 

As far as explosive offenses? Bro..every Big 10 team is an explosive offense. Big 10 defense’s are pretty much nonexistent. Creative is good but is it the end all/be all for a HC? Absolutely not. 

You have no proof for anything that you just wrote about him not being responsible for Mahomes. Mahomes actually has stated the opposite multiple times.

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You have no proof for anything that you just wrote about him not being responsible for Mahomes. Mahomes actually has stated the opposite multiple times.

This is kind of a weird angle to take when the kid was RAW COMING INTO THE LEAGUE. There is your proof.

he couldn’t read defenses and he had sloppy mechanics. Andy hid him behind the scenes and polished him for a year. He was widely regarded as a project that just wasn’t ready.

is he responsible for keeping Mahomes not ready?

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

I don't get the fascination for a guy that just got fired from his college gig with a losing record.  Do we never learn?  He has done zero to even merit a spot on the radar.  Jets fans are masochists, always looking for that next kick in the balls.  I would be satisfied with him as an OC, but no way as HC.

You know how it goes...we've been Jet fans way too long.  Once that boat leaves the dock, people start jumping on board.  It's the "hot" name right now.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is kind of a garbage angle to take when the kid was RAW COMING INTO THE LEAGUE. There is your proof.

he couldn’t read defenses and he had sloppy mechanics. Andy hid him behind the scenes and polished him for a year. He was widely regarded as a project that just wasn’t ready.

So in one year on the bench mind you, Andy fixed his mechanics and taught him to read defenses to the point of historic proportions? What else did he do? Teach him to speed read? Yet KK had nothing to do with his development?

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is kind of a weird angle to take when the kid was RAW COMING INTO THE LEAGUE. There is your proof.

So he goes from compete project to throwing 50 TD's the next year? Maybe just maybe he wasn't as big of a project as some suggested or used as an excuse for not taking him. Or the fact that by week 17 of 2017 the Chiefs were ready to hand him the keys to the organization. You're telling me that a complete project who couldn't read defenses and had sloppy mechanics turned into a HOF talent in 1 year? Why isn't everyone interviewing the QB Coach from KC? He obviously produced a miracle since Mahomes was so God awful when he showed up to camp. 

8 minutes ago, rldev said:

So in one year on the bench mind you, Andy fixed his mechanics and taught him to read defenses to the point of historic proportions? What else did he do? Teach him to speed read? Yet KK had nothing to do with his development?

Thank you....

You may not like the hire but to say he had nothing to do with Mahomes development is objectively preposterous.

Oh and I wanted Mahomes drafted by the Jets two years ago so I know it is just silly talk.

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So he goes from compete project to throwing 50 TD's the next year? Maybe just maybe he wasn't as big of a project as some suggested or used as an excuse for not taking him. Or the fact that by week 17 of 2017 the Chiefs were ready to hand him the keys to the organization. You're telling me that a complete project who couldn't read defenses and had sloppy mechanics turned into a HOF talent in 1 year? Why isn't everyone interviewing the QB Coach from KC? He obviously produced a miracle since Mahomes was so God awful when he showed up to camp. 

Woah slow the hell down there, champ. HOF talent? Is this really what you mean? 

Secondly, no one is hiring the KC QB coach because it’s really Andy Reid.

He couldn’t read NFL defenses and his mechanics were sloppy coming out of college. That’s a fact. There is no disputing that. Whether or not you want to water down Mahomes unreadiness to play right away to fit your agenda is clearly on you.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Or… He had Alex Smith playing very well (MVP level) and in a good spot contractually to play one more year. Everyone knew it was the best thing for the Chiefs to go with Smith that one last year, and if anything happened, Mahomes would step in. It had nothing to do with Mahomes being "raw". They knew what they had. Do you honestly think that Mahomes couldn't have done in week 5 of his rookie year what he did in week 17? Or what he did his second year? If not, he had the most accelerated learning curve in history that off season. Every rookie QB can be called "raw" to an extent. Was Sam ready? What about Allen, Rosen, Trubisky etc.  EDIT. Sorry, it seems I was 10 minutes late to this party. LOL

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Or… He had Alex Smith playing very well (MVP level) and in a good spot contractually to play one more year. Everyone knew it was the best thing for the Chiefs to go with Smith that one last year, and if anything happened, Mahomes would step in. It had nothing to do with Mahomes being "raw". They knew what they had. Do you honestly think that Mahomes couldn't have done in week 5 of his rookie year what he did in week 17? Or what he did his second year? If not, he had the most accelerated learning curve in history that off season. Every rookie QB can be called "raw" to an extent. Was Sam ready? What about Allen, Rosen, Trubisky etc.

Go read his scouting report and stop dancing around facts. He wasn’t ready before a team even selected him.

ii read online hes most likely going to the cards but who knows. this hire would def get headlines and people in the seats. who knows what the outcome will be. still want mcarthy as hc and kk as oc, but honestly i rather kk then caldwell, gase, richards, or monken.  dont really know much about rhule to give a proper opinion 

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure if you wrote this thinking of me, but I am very very much that guy (not the draft pick version).

I honestly didn't, it was more a general observation.

I just don't understand accepting mediocrity. Many of the arguments I see for McCarthy are something like McCarthy might not be the best head coach but he is a proven winner and we will be better than we were. Maybe not the highest upside, but he is a safe pick and all coordinator picks sucked". Just seems so lukewarm and fatalistic. Fear of failing in getting a GREAT head coach is greater than the pain of accepting the mediocre guy. 9-7 and a wildcard is better than 1-15 if you are building something better but if that is your ceiling, no thanks. Do you want Marvin Lewis? Because he is that guy.

I do not believe in magic quick-fix cures or genius coaches only we could find.

Champions are built with constant effort and talent acquisition and development under stable experienced leadership leading to consistent competitiveness year after year.   They are not built on cults of personality around young sexy coaches with college-level offenses.

Winning consistently isn't mediocrity.  And losing breeds more losing.  9-7 is a million miles better than 4-12, even if the playoffs are missed, because it's winning and a platform to build on. 4-12 and constantly going for the next hot young inexperienced guy is a route to consistent failure.  

KK would be an aggressive choice. But is he really that risky?

Yes, he is exceptionally risky given his wafer-thin and less-than-winning resume.

He would be good for Darnold. The offense is likely to be successful.

He could be a disaster for Darnold, we don't know.  His college-level O could be a massive flop at the pro level, and create permanent problems for Darnold.  Him being "good" for Darnold is not remotely a sure thing.

Players would likely respond well to him (see Jets fans openly campaigning for him).

Modern NFL players will walk all over him, he's soft and young and carries with him nothing that demands respect.  

I have read he is good at in game management.

In college.  Vs. smaller non-elite schools.  Adjusting there is far less difficult than adjusting against grown men being coached by legit pro level stud coaches.

So he's not super knowlegeable about defense, and the logistics of actually being a head coach and in charge of the management and scheduling issues would be a challenge, but both those could be addressed by an Assistant HC/DC type hire. But it is aggressively building around Darnold, not settling

So K.K. is the man....as long as we hire an experienced, veteran, former head coach to basicly be the HEad Coach while holding K.K.'s dick while he learns on the job?

As I said elsewhere, we don;t know.  I don't know.  I am very pessimistic on K.K.  I could easily be wrong.  I just don't see all the positives you see being so sure thing, most seem VERY risky to me and as far from sure as possible.  

I want my team team playing games that matter in December, now.  I don't see K.K. being the guy to bring us that, certainly not in the short term.  

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Go read his scouting report and stop dancing around facts. He wasn’t ready before a team even selected him.

You're basing this off of his scouting report??? Seriously? You don't think scouting reports could be wrong? 

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You're basing this off of his scouting report??? Seriously? You don't think scouting reports could be wrong? 

You don’t think scouting reports have a legit base argument to them that apply to the player? You think your take is more convincing than millions of scouts?

the consensus is the consensus for a solid reason.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Win/loss record in college is the most misleading stat. College is not about coaching ability, it's about recruiting. Texas Tech has had one terrible recruiting class after another. They ranked about 50th in recruiting class while he was there and about 7th in the Big 12. That doesn't really set you up for success. Not being a good recruiter doesn't mean you're not a good Coach.

In college, not being a good recruiter does kind of mean you're not a good Coach.  It's one of a College Coach's primary responsibilities.  Texas Tech's recruiting ranking has to be somewhat of a reflection on Klingsbury, doesn't it?  If he were so Innovative, charming, infectious, and magnetic, don't you think all of these impressive characteristics would be able to lure blue chip prospects to Texas Tech?  Also it's not like we're talking about Rutgers and the Big 10 here.  Texas Tech is a more impressive athletic institution, that has pumped more "resources" into the program than Rutgers.  They also had been previously ranked under Mike Leach.  There are programs in the Big 12 with less resources that do more with less than Texas Tech. The biggest flaw in Klingsbury's record has been the dismal failure of his defenses year in and year out.  A potential NFL coaching candidate should surely be able to make at least some improvement in that area, despite having an average recruiting ranking.  Lastly. considering the plethora of NFL caliber quarterbacks he has been fortunate to coach and develop at Texas Tech, one would think that this " progressive offensive mind" would be able to win at least a few more games.

57 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Give Adams credit it would easy for him to root for a defensive HC and he is not...

He is looking at coaching ability and the league trends

Adams is looking at a young, cool coach that he thinks will be ok with Adams being a clown in perpetuity. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

You don’t think scouting reports have a legit base argument to them that apply to the player? You think your take has is more convincing than millions of scouts?

the consensus is the consensus for a solid reason.

It has nothing to do with my take. The take from the Chiefs is that he was so ready after 1 season of development that they traded their starting QB in the off-season. In my opinion it's more likely that Mahomes was more pro ready coming in to the NFL than the "experts" thought than that he was really really raw but in one season on the bench he developed so much that he threw 50 TD's and is most likely the league MVP. Which of those scenarios is more likely to you? Go Google what Andy Reid thought of Mahomes after they had him in for a draft visit and you'll see he wasn't as much of a "project" as was being suggested. Just bc a guy hasn't had experience in a pro offense doesn't mean it'll take him years to learn it. And it obviously didn't take very long so how was he a project? His success this year proves he wasn't a project.

Archived