Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It has nothing to do with my take. The take from the Chiefs is that he was so ready after 1 season of development that they traded their starting QB in the off-season. In my opinion it's more likely that Mahomes was more pro ready coming in to the NFL than the "experts" thought than that he was really really raw but in one season on the bench he developed so much that he threw 50 TD's and is most likely the league MVP. Which of those scenarios is more likely to you? Go Google what Andy Reid thought of Mahomes after they had him in for a draft visit and you'll see he wasn't as much of a "project" as was being suggested. Just bc a guy hasn't had experience in a pro offense doesn't mean it'll take him years to learn it. And it obviously didn't take very long so how was he a project? His success this year proves he wasn't a project.

No, you just want to believe that he was already Pro ready to fit your KK argument. If he was ready then he would of started Week 1 and they would of traded Smith earlier.

You aren’t making this very hard to see through. #Agendas

Kingsbury is the only coach we could hire that would cause me to lose sleep at night.  I could stomach any other candidate but this one feels wrong.  I also don’t like rhule but I would live.  Kingsbury as qb coach, sure.  As oc?  Maybe. As head coach I’m not feeling it. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Adams is looking at a young, cool coach that he thinks will be ok with Adams being a clown in perpetuity. 

"Jamal, my bro, if you're going to Tweet, I'd rather you do it here in my office, than go out and Tweet in some shady park with no parental super-vision, because that wouldn't be very fleek." *In his best Quavo voice

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And at least Kingsbury has the experience of coaching and running a program as opposed to the available coordinators that  have never run the show. 

Who is Kliffy going to get for coaches and coordinators?   His Texas assistants?   He doesn’t have working relationships with pro coaches.  You think Gregg Williams wants to be his DC?

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, you just want to believe that he was already Pro ready to fit your KK argument. If he was ready then he would of started Week 1 and they would of traded Smith earlier.

You aren’t making this very hard to see through. #Agendas

When did I say he was pro ready when he got drafted? Are you sure you're reading my posts and not someone else's? You claimed he was totally not ready to be an NFL QB when he got drafted. That Kliff Kingsbury didn't get him pro ready at all. So what I said was how does a guy go from not knowing anything about the QB position, like you're suggesting, to being the MVP in 1 year with barely playing in his rookie year? He obviously was more advanced than the unemployed scouts that wrote those scouting reports that you read suggested. Which I'm sure were all based on him playing on a spread offense in college. But that didn't mean he didn't understand pro concepts or was never taught them by Kingsbury. You're suggesting that he learned nothing from Kingsbury which is obviously not true based on Mahomes own words. You clearly have the agenda.

"I haven't talked to him at all about where he's thinking about going or where he's thinking about ending up," Mahomes said, per The Kansas City Star. "But I know if he did come to the NFL, he has the work ethic and he has the mind and he has the innovativeness, I guess you would say -- if that's a word -- to be in this league. Whatever he does, I know he'll have success doing it."

Again, this shouldn't come as a surprise. For one, Mahomes played under Kingsbury at Texas Tech. The two are still close enough that they spoke after Texas Tech fired Kingsbury on Sunday.

"I talked to Coach Kingsbury and he let me know the news, but at the same time I kind of saw it on Twitter," Mahomes said. "I'm close to Coach Kingsbury. He really helped my game and helped me as a person a lot. He's a genuine good person and at the same time a very smart football coach. I know he'll land back on his feet somewhere else. I'm excited for the future with him."

10 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Who is Kliffy going to get for coaches and coordinators?   His Texas assistants?   He doesn’t have working relationships with pro coaches.  You think Gregg Williams wants to be his DC?

Absolutely Not!! There is no way Gregg Williams would agree to be a DC for anyone but the best head coaches. He's very very selective

usatsi_11731623.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

23 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

In college, not being a good recruiter does kind of mean you're not a good Coach.  It's one of a College Coach's primary responsibilities.  Texas Tech's recruiting ranking has to be somewhat of a reflection on Klingsbury, doesn't it?  If he were so Innovative, charming, infectious, and magnetic, don't you think all of these impressive characteristics would be able to lure blue chip prospects to Texas Tech?  Also it's not like we're talking about Rutgers and the Big 10 here.  Texas Tech is a more impressive athletic institution, that has pumped more "resources" into the program than Rutgers.  They also had been previously ranked under Mike Leach.  There are programs in the Big 12 with less resources that do more with less than Texas Tech. The biggest flaw in Klingsbury's record has been the dismal failure of his defenses year in and year out.  A potential NFL coaching candidate should surely be able to make at least some improvement in that area, despite having an average recruiting ranking.  Lastly. considering the plethora of NFL caliber quarterbacks he has been fortunate to coach and develop at Texas Tech, one would think that this " progressive offensive mind" would be able to win at least a few more games.

Well all the QBs he's involved with are in the NFL. One most likely on his way to the HOF.

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So what I said was how does a guy go from not knowing anything about the QB position, like you're suggesting, to being the MVP in 1 year with barely playing in his rookie year?

See. This is the clear misunderstanding. I’m not saying that he didn’t know anything — you assumed this.

i said he wasn’t groomed to be Pro ready. There is a distinct difference in not being groomed well enough to be ready Week 1 and not knowing anything at all.

5 minutes ago, rldev said:

Well all the QBs he's involved with are in the NFL. One most likely on his way to the HOF.

You're right.  But he isn't aspiring to be the Quarterback Coach, or the Offensive Coordinator.  He wants to be the Head Coach. Different animal, that's all  I'm saying.  Which one is on the way to the HOF, by the way.

I'd feel a lot better about this hire if we had a competent GM. Pairing the current boob with a high risk, neophyte coach is a disaster in the making. Not to mention general organizational dysfunction + rabid media and fan base. 

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

What could go wrong? So many college coaches with little NFL experience make a successful jump to the NFL. It's a can't miss.

Bingo! So many GREAT NFL coaches coached at the likes of Temple, Baylor and Texas Tech...what an utter disgrace this has become.

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I honestly didn't, it was more a general observation.

I do not believe in magic quick-fix cures or genius coaches only we could find.

Champions are built with constant effort and talent acquisition and development under stable experienced leadership leading to consistent competitiveness year after year.   They are not built on cults of personality around young sexy coaches with college-level offenses.

Winning consistently isn't mediocrity.  And losing breeds more losing.  9-7 is a million miles better than 4-12, even if the playoffs are missed, because it's winning and a platform to build on. 4-12 and constantly going for the next hot young inexperienced guy is a route to consistent failure.  

Yes, he is exceptionally risky given his wafer-thin and less-than-winning resume.

He could be a disaster for Darnold, we don't know.  His college-level O could be a massive flop at the pro level, and create permanent problems for Darnold.  Him being "good" for Darnold is not remotely a sure thing.

Modern NFL players will walk all over him, he's soft and young and carries with him nothing that demands respect.  

In college.  Vs. smaller non-elite schools.  Adjusting there is far less difficult than adjusting against grown men being coached by legit pro level stud coaches.

So K.K. is the man....as long as we hire an experienced, veteran, former head coach to basicly be the HEad Coach while holding K.K.'s dick while he learns on the job?

As I said elsewhere, we don;t know.  I don't know.  I am very pessimistic on K.K.  I could easily be wrong.  I just don't see all the positives you see being so sure thing, most seem VERY risky to me and as far from sure as possible.  

I want my team team playing games that matter in December, now.  I don't see K.K. being the guy to bring us that, certainly not in the short term.  

I am not a KK supporter really. I find him intriguing. I want Monken of all the coaches the Jets are choosing. I think he is the right fit.. Now if I MUST choose between KK and McCarthy well I am not hiring McCarthy in almost any scenario. I think he is the worst of all candidates.

8 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Some of you talk about KK and MR like they're Nick Saban or Knute Rockne.

What happened to "big game hunting"?

This is like going out in your backyard and shooting ******* squirrels with a god damned BB gun...

I am ashamed.

Who are the other proven big fish besides McCarthy?

Guys like Shanny and the Harbaugh boys were always pie in the sky fantasies. They haven’t been connected to any of the other 7 openings either.

If you aren’t getting McCarthy, then unless you’re going with someone like Gase or Caldwell, you’re going to be rolling the dice on either a college HC or NFL coordinator.

In that case, give me either Rhule or Monken, with Gase and Kingsbury as the more “meh” candidates that I could still get behind.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Who are the other proven big fish besides McCarthy?

Guys like Shanny and the Harbaugh boys were always pie in the sky fantasies. They haven’t been connected to any of the other 7 openings either.

If you aren’t getting McCarthy, then unless you’re going with someone like Gase or Caldwell, you’re going to be rolling the dice on either a college HC or NFL coordinator.

In that case, give me either Rhule or Monken, with Gase and Kingsbury as the more “meh” candidates.

What has Rhule done?  Someone tell me? ANYONE?

15 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Our lives and the future of our franchise QB are riding on...Matt Rhule and Kliff MFing Kingsbury.  This can't be real life folks, it just can't.  What a complete and utter disaster.

biggest disaster is named McCarthy

7 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Bingo! So many GREAT NFL coaches coached at the likes of Temple, Baylor and Texas Tech...what an utter disgrace this has become.

Bruce Arians did coach temple, but he put many years in as an NFL assistant and OC before he got a shot at a HC job. NFL HC is not a job you can learn as you go 

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Bruce Arians did coach temple, but he put many years in as an NFL assistant and OC before he got a shot at a HC job. NFL HC is not a job you can learn as you go 

you got it.

See: Todd Bowles.

We just had TODD BOWLES! And now these people want Matt ******* Rhule and Kliff ******* Kingsbury? I think I am going to hurl.

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yeah, agreed. If you're going this route why not offer Peyton whatever he wants to coach the Jets.

13 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

What has Rhule done?  Someone tell me? ANYONE?

Again, and I hate to repeat myself on this:

- Coached 3/4 of every position on offense and defense including DL, LB’s, OL, TE’s, QB’s and spent time as a ST coach.

- Has 5+ years of offensive play calling experience 

- Has turned around 2 collegiate programs within a span of 5 years

- Connections to Tom Coughlin and is supposedly highly thought of around the NFL

- Has a reputation as a disciplinarian who stresses the fundamentals and possesses leadership qualities that are highly respected and sought after in coaching circles.

Not exactly a terrible resume to take into the interviewing process.  Not exactly a sh*t candidate either.

Archived