Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

No news on the interview being completed.  My guess is the Jets are putting on a full court press trying to get Kingsbury to sign on the line.  They don't want to let him out the door because word is Arizona wants him badly.

He's about to sign, but keeps getting distracted:

2113104948_TobiasPen.gif.2aafedb3b0482d78fcd04688b79572a1.gif

13 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Welp....KK was working this morning...but not in his office at USC.  Flew out for an interview with the Jets today, not offered the job, is now flying in the Cardinals jet to sign there in the morning.  Evidently preferred the Jets job.  ?

Have a feeling that we basically told him were going with Rhule or someone else, but he's more than welcome to come be the OC.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Have a feeling that we basically told him were going with Rhule or someone else, but he's more than welcome to come be the OC.

Yes, Jets did not offer the HC job.  Kliff told recruits and the players he would only leave USC for an NFL head coach job.  Frankly, didn’t think an NFL franchise would be that dumb....heck, our HC is dead man walking, and USC didn’t fire him for KK.  

It sucks, because he got in contact with USC for the OC job.

28 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Welp....KK was working this morning...but not in his office at USC.  Flew out for an interview with the Jets today, not offered the job, is now flying in the Cardinals jet to sign there in the morning.  Evidently preferred the Jets job.  ?

As a Jet fan, you have to figure that the job is going to come down to McCarthy, Rhule or Monken at this point. I think it’s McCarthy’s job if he wants it and a toss up between Rhule/Monken if MM doesn’t want it...best interview out of the remaining two gets the job.

So the Jets are tentative want to go through a long drawn out process with 2nd interviews. Cardinals taking advantage ready to offer him the job even before the interview to steal him knowing he would prefer the Jets. Chris Johnson never fails to disappoint me.

11 hours ago, SR24 said:

I just don't get it. So many people on here wanting to do the best for Sam we're interviewing a guy that coached Davis Webb,Mahomes and Mayfield. He's also behind one of the more explosive offenses in CFB I think if we give this guy a real gritty defensive coordinator and let him develop Sam while implementing his offense we will be in really good shape. 

Seems to me one could just as easily use these 3 as reasons to stay away from Kingsbury.

Mahomes

I'm not anyone's expert on rating college prospects, but I thought the feeling was Mahomes was just raw clay after leaving college, and he needed to sit on the bench for a full year to basically learn the position -- as in he didn't learn it adequately in college, needed cuddly Santa Andy Reid to teach him everything for all of 2017, and what's more that was the reason I heard all season long Mahomes wouldn't have been good here. 

KK may end up being a good QBC or OC or even HC at the NFL level, but it's just as easy to look at this one as: after being coached by KK, Mahomes had to spend his whole rookie offseason, then rookie regular season, and then year 2 offseason unlearning what he learned in college.

Mayfield

Next, it seems Mayfield wasn't Mayfield until he got away from KK and anyway Mayfield hates his guts (though in fairness KK isn't the first coach he's badmouthed and was probably a freshman punk). Regardless, you can probably ascribe zero of Baker Mayfield's success to Kliff Kingsbury, who liked Davis Webb better and spent weeks totally ignoring Mayfield altogether during their 1 season together.

Webb

This then this brings us to Davis Webb; a failure as an NFL QB, who was yet another Kingsbury QB who was considered a raw project after leaving his oversight. He needed so much work post-KK the Giants gave up on him after just 1 season and then spent the next year on our PS (save the few games he was activated to backup while Darnold was sidelined).

Continuing my post above, could someone show me an example of a Kingsbury-coached QB who spent real time with him and didn't then need benching? Not just benching, but basically needed someone else to coach him up to learn the position after leaving him? I could make the argument he did nothing to coach up his QBs, as the QBs he had could more or less coast on talent alone at the college level.

It's just easier to "fake it" below the pro level because the talent on so many opponents is so diluted. There's barely enough talent to fill 32 rosters of players who can stay for up to 10-15 years. How much talent is there really across a multiple of that number of teams, where nobody sticks longer than 4 years, most aren't good enough to start for more than 2, and after the overwhelming majority of these college starters aren't good enough to even become NFL backups. Davis Webb is one of them.

Then there's that other thing, which is that he's yet another one-sided HC. Anyone really trust Kingsbury to coach up an NFL defense? Or should we be impressed with his "improvement" these past 2 seasons because he managed to get TT's PA back under 40 ppg. Yes recruiting plays a big part of college success, but TT had 1 losing season the prior 20 years before KK, and this happened 4 of their last 5 under KK's watch. Then after getting off to a fast start his first season things never really got good ever again in the rest of his 6 seasons there. 

I get the desire for an offensive-minded HC, but teams need to field and coach up a defense. You can't just field an offense and boom you go to the playoffs. Not that he's ever successfully coached up a QB himself anyway who didn't need someone else to undo the bad habits learned under KK.

While I fully admit I don't watch college ball, on paper I'm just not seeing what's the big deal with this one. Is it just the hope of theoretical upside of supposedly-untapped talent? Because it seems like it's just that.

(Lol now watch he'll end up being the best HC of the lot).

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While I fully admit I don't watch college ball, on paper I'm just not seeing what's the big deal with this one. Is it just the hope of theoretical upside of supposedly-untapped talent? Because it seems like it's just that.

You've summed up the case against McCarthy in three sentences.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

You've summed up the case against McCarthy in three sentences.

The case against McCarthy is they were losers despite Aaron Rodgers.

The case for is that for all his talent in that platinum right arm, and for all his pinpoint accuracy, that Rodgers visually missed a lot of open receivers and screwed up a lot of well-designed plays, prematurely ending a lot of drives, and resulting in McCarthy dumbing down the offense for him. Allegedly. 

Also I don't sum up anything in only three sentences. Three paragraphs maybe. Three chapters even more likely still. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I do like Rhule but not sure he can build a staff. 

He seems well connected enough, and well thought of, within the league so I don't think it will be a major problem.  Maybe this guy will help him out some too:

Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach
"Matt's a phenomenal football coach and an even better person. He'll bring great integrity to Baylor University and a great work ethic. He's a top-notch person and a relentless recruiter. My hat's off to Baylor, I think they brought on board one of the best young coaches in the game."

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The case against McCarthy is they were losers despite Aaron Rodgers.

The case for is that for all his talent in that platinum right arm, and for all his pinpoint accuracy, that Rodgers visually missed a lot of open receivers and screwed up a lot of well-designed plays, prematurely ending a lot of drives, and resulting in McCarthy dumbing down the offense for him. Allegedly. 

Also I don't sum up anything in only three sentences. Three paragraphs maybe. Three chapters even more likely still. 

I'd be more willing to support going for (yet another) first time HC in a high-risk/high-reward move if we didn't have our FQB. Now we need IMHO someone with a track record of developing QBs and success in the league. Darnold's rookie contract years are not a time to take a huge risk of the type that has never paid off for the Jets.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Same response every friggin time. I ask for something other than ancient history and the reply is always he won. It's madness. Whatever I need to just not get myself worked up over the stupidity of wanting this guy.

lol. I agree you shouldn't get yourself all worked up man. 

We are talking about a coach of a football team. The entire goal is to win. We want to hire someone who can help us win. We have a guy out there that has done tons of winning. Yet you want to have a debate about why we should want a winning coach, but we can't mention his winning record?  

You asked for "one reason other than his record"  that someone would want him. Ok, I bit and I told you his history of working with and developing QB's.  You don't like that either because he's been doing it for 25 years. That also happens to be exactly what the Jets stated they wanted in a coach. 

"You are what your record says you are" 

Bil Parcells. 

21 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

He made Matt Flynn a multi millionaire. Wasn't his first game ever like 500 yrs or something?   

Matt Flynn had 1 good games 6 years ago against a division rival. It was an anomaly. Flynn was not developed and never actually good. The same goes for Hundley and Kizer.

39 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Matt Flynn had 1 good games 6 years ago against a division rival. It was an anomaly. Flynn was not developed and never actually good. The same goes for Hundley and Kizer.

I know. I stuck Matt Flynn in there for a reason. I also fully expected someone to grab on to it. 

That was a pretty good game eh? He looked so good that one game that he got a large FA contract out of it.That was the Mike McCarthy effect. People in the know value his ability to work with QB's and it certainly looked like he had the goods. Could be a benefit of system too.  Kinda smoke and mirrors.  He played well enough to make people believe. :) 

McCarthy and this to say about Hundley. Even though he took responsibility publicly he fired Alex Van Pelt soon after. You can get last when you have a n Aaron Rodgers at the helm. 

That’s something that we should’ve been better prepared for, and I say ‘we’ because it’s not just on Brett,” McCarthy said of Rodgers’ injury. “But in the same breath, there wasn’t enough step-up around him, either. It was (not) just one guy. I think that’s the first thing, stating the true evaluation of what went on.

Archived