Schilling definitely out for Yankee opener

faba

Pitcher will miss opening day

By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer

March 19, 2005

AP - Mar 19, 3:21 pm EST

More Photos

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Curt Schilling will miss opening day with the Red Sox, setting up David Wells to start against his former team, the New York Yankees.

Boston manager Terry Francona made the announcement Saturday and said Schilling may sit out the first two weeks.

Schilling, coming back from ankle surgery last November, will make his first start of spring training in a minor league game on Monday and there was no word on when he would pitch against a major league opponent.

There even was a possibility Schilling would open the season on the disabled list since the Red Sox have three days off in the first 10 days and won't need a fifth starter until their 13th game, at home against Toronto on April 18.

``We're going to have a four-man rotation through the 18th,'' Francona said.

Schilling has said his ankle and arm aren't bothering him. But his mechanics aren't back to their pre-surgery level.

Wells will pitch opening night in Yankee Stadium on April 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

``I'm sure he'll rise to the occasion,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said. ``He loves that type of stage, and we just have to go out there and do the best we can and hope that we're better. It doesn't surprise me. He's got the experience.''

After an off day, Matt Clement will pitch for Boston on Tuesday and Tim Wakefield on Wednesday in the final game of the series. After another off day, Bronson Arroyo will open a three-game series in Toronto on April 8.

That would set up Wakefield to pitch the home opener against the Yankees on April 11.

Wells, signed in the offseason as a free agent from San Diego, pitched with the Yankees in 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2003.

``He's been there before and he's a veteran,'' Francona said. ``If (the opener) doesn't go the way we want to, he'll be fine and then we bring Clement back the second game, get his legs under him. I just think it sets up best for our whole, entire staff to let David take the ball the first night.''

Clement also was a free agent who played last year with the Chicago Cubs and hasn't pitched in nearly as many big games as Wells, who has seven World Series starts and was part of the Yankees championship team in 1998.

``It doesn't get any better than that,'' Clement said about starting his Red Sox career against the Yankees. ``I'm excited. That's why I came here, to pitch in those kind of games. ... It's an honor to be able to throw in any of those first three games.''

Schilling pitched in Game 6 of last year's AL championship series against New York and Game 2 of the World Series against St. Louis after a tendon that had been slipping out of place in his right ankle was sutured to the skin. He won both and Boston went on to sweep St. Louis.

David Wells opening day starter for Bosox- should be interesting is an understatement

I saw Wells pitch against the Yanks last season when he pitched for San Diego. He shut them down for 7 innings if I recall. Of course, we battled back and won in extra innings, but Wells knows how to pitch against the Yankees.

20 bucks says wells will plunk a yankee batter in the 3rd inning...........

then randy johnson will strike back in the 6th or 7th

YOU HEARD IT FROM ME FIRST

if that happens like you say it will, EB...can the hire your retarded namesake to deliver an untimely forearm shiver to Randy Johnson's head and nearly cost us the season???

OK good, as long as you guys are turning this thread into (surprise surprise) Homer Predictions 101:

Geoffery the Giraffe will join the lengthy list of Yankee pitchers who are simply unable to get Big Papi out...

Red Sox Nation: 5

Biggest chokers in the history of organized sporting events: 2

OK good, as long as you guys are turning this thread into (surprise surprise) Homer Predictions 101:

Geoffery the Giraffe will join the lengthy list of Yankee pitchers who are simply unable to get Big Papi out...

yankees 26

red sox 7

you've got alot of catching up to do :lol:

yankee fan here. just have to ask. how did you end up being a jet & red sox(very odd combo) fan. with a jeter avatar no less? almost forgot...

RED SOX 000 100 100 2 5 1

YANKEES 003 120 00x 6 9 0

Oh okay this makes perfect sense. Ortiz hit almost 100 points lower against lefties. 75% of his home runs came off of righties last season.

So naturally he will tear it up against Randy Johnson. Because all lefties do.

The Yankees didn't have an answer for Ortiz last season. Now they do.

right, Max...its harded for lefties to hit other lefties than righties...I'll concede that. But the Yankees cant get him out and that big geek Randy Johnson will be no exception. Better men have tried.

Big Papps isnt some nickel-and-dime sports reporter...this time it will be Randy who gets manhandled.

right, Max...its harded for lefties to hit other lefties than righties...I'll concede that. But the Yankees cant get him out and that big geek Randy Johnson will be no exception. Better men have tried.

quote]

yea ok bud. name me a better left handed starting pitcher in MLB =;

If this were the 1995 Seattle Mariners we were talking about, you Yankee homers might be on to something by giving verbal humjobs to Geofferey the Giraffe. But this is 2005, and the Boston Red Sox are the reigning world champions after you all said it couldnt/wouldnt be done.

Hmmm...Randy Johnson, A-rod, Tino...maybe it is the '95 Mariners after all

Archived