In Jets coaching search,Adam Gase is a better bet than Mike McCarthy

joewilly12

In Jets’ coaching search, Adam Gase a better bet than Mike McCarthy

January 7, 2019 | 8:33pm

Modal Trigger
Adam Gase
Adam GaseMark Brown/Getty Images

The Jets’ search for a head coach is entering its second week and the team has talked to plenty of candidates.

Here is a closer look at some of the storylines of the search and some of my thoughts:

1. Any thought former Packers coach Mike McCarthy is a favorite to land this job is off. At this point, I would be surprised if McCarthy ends up with the job. The idea that was out there that the Jets were in love with McCarthy and he was their No. 1 choice is wrong. The Jets entered this search with an open mind, committed to going through the process of the interviews and seeing who impressed them. Interviewing McCarthy was a no-brainer because of his résumé. However, there was no thought that he was a shoo-in for the job.

There also remains chatter in league circles that McCarthy may sit out 2019. It makes sense. He has been a head coach for 13 seasons. He may want a break to spend time with his family. McCarthy, 55, may also view the current jobs he is up for — the Jets and Browns — as unattractive because they both have been losing franchises. McCarthy may believe a better job could open after next year. He is from Pittsburgh and there was speculation that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin might be in trouble this year. Maybe McCarthy thinks he could wind up back in his hometown.

2. Keep an eye on Adam Gase. I think the former Dolphins coach will get a long look from the Jets. He makes a lot of sense for them. He is a young (40), offensive-minded head coach, which they are looking for. But he also has the experience of already being a head coach, another plus for him.

Gase went 23-25 with the Dolphins, but his quarterbacks were Ryan Tannehill, Matt Moore and Jay Cutler. He has proven what he can do with a good quarterback in his years as the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator with the Broncos and Peyton Manning. What could he do with Sam Darnold?

Another thing to consider is the value of having a head coach who is the play-caller. If the Jets bring in a coach who does not call the plays and hires an offensive coordinator who has success with Darnold, that offensive coordinator will have a head-coaching job within two years and the Jets will be searching for another voice for Darnold.

I know Jets fans don’t love the idea of Gase, but he makes a lot of sense to me.

3. The Jets clearly have interest in some of the bright, young minds in college. The Athletic reported they interviewed former Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury on Monday. CBS reported they already have spoken with Baylor head coach Matt Rhule.

Hiring a college coach scares me. Historically, it rarely works. Also, I’m sure Kingsbury and Rhule are good coaches, but this is not Nick Saban and Urban Meyer in terms of accomplishments at the college level. Kingsbury got fired in November from Texas Tech.

image.gif.197110bd8a5eeeabd3c0e1c4909b2062.gif

Speaking to some league executives, they pointed out a few problems with hiring from college. The first is the inability to put together a solid NFL staff with few contacts in the league. Another is that game planning is different. In college, teams run their scheme and hope they have better players to execute it. In the NFL, game plans are based on matchups and they change every week.

4. It looks as if John Harbaugh will be staying with the Ravens, according to the NFL Network. The Jets would have had interest in him if he had been fired. I’m not sure if they would have been interested in trading any draft capital for him, though.

As it is, the Jets have confirmed interviewing Eric Bieniemy, Gase, McCarthy, Kris Richard and Jim Caldwell, who was interviewed Monday, and there are the reports they talked with Rhule and Kingsbury. They have Todd Monken on deck Tuesday.

They could add one or two more candidates this week. I suspect they will decide on one or two coaches to bring back for a second interview at the end of this week or beginning of next week and then a decision should be made some time next week.

5. If the Buccaneers hire Bruce Arians as head coach, as they reportedly are expected to do, keep an eye on former Jets coach Todd Bowles for the defensive coordinator job. Bowles played for Arians at Temple and was his DC in Arizona in 2013-14.

image.gif

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets find way to interview Kliff Kingsbury after initial blocking

Speaking to some league executives, they pointed out a few problems with hiring from college. The first is the inability to put together a solid NFL staff with few contacts in the league. Another is that game planning is different. In college, teams run their scheme and hope they have better players to execute it. In the NFL, game plans are based on matchups and they change every week.

I posted about this exact thing earlier in the thread below.  I'll re-post it but building a staff is very important to the hiring decision.  I wonder if Costello read my post because I had Gase first and Kingsbury tied for 6th. :P

One big question for all of these guys is whether they can pull together a good staff.  This was part of the problem in Arizona with Steve Wilks and why he was fired after only one year.  He was not very well connected and didn't have a great network of other coaches.  You have to have a good network in the NFL and ability to attract top coaches.  For "rookie" Head Coaches (ex. not McCarthy, Gase) this can be a bit of a challenge and a reason that the Jets have thus far retained most of their coaching staff despite firing Todd Bowles.

Just taking a stab at ranking the guys who MIGHT be best/most connected and could have the ability to attract a good staff I might rank them....

1. Gase - Solid tree of HCs he's worked for, experience on at least 4-5 NFL teams

2. McCarthy - Smaller, less impressive tree than Gase, history in the league

T-3. Bieniemy - USC, Vikings, Chiefs

T-3. Kris Richard - USC, Seahawks, Cowboys

T-3. Monken - Multilple colleges, Jaguars WR coach 2007-2010, Tampa Bay OC

T-6. Kingsbury - NFL playing experience, never on a NFL staff

T-6. Rhule - 1 season of NFL experience as assistant many years ago

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I posted about this exact thing earlier in the thread below.

It was in the article i posted it wasn't my intent to re-post what you had posted earlier. 

Gase could be our guy and i'm actually ok with it, after 4 years of Bowles i'm ready for a change 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

It was in the article i posted it wasn't my intent to re-post what you had posted earlier. 

Gase could be our guy and i'm actually ok with it, after 4 years of Bowles i'm ready for a change 

Oh, you didn't repost anything I posted.  I was just pointing out that building a staff is more important than some people think.  We have a lot of folks around here hammering on scheme and offensive innovation.  Both of those are important, but coaching is as much of a team game as football itself is.  You can have the best HC in the world but if your coordinators suck or your positional coaches can't teach technique properly then it isn't going to matter.

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Very telling that when 7 other jobs open Bowles isn’t even getting an interview.   Maybe he just wants to take a year of Johnson’s money and chill, or maybe he really was just that bad.  

Maybe all of the above.  I think Bowles either sits out a year or shows up as a coordinator somewhere.

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Very telling that when 7 other jobs open Bowles isn’t even getting an interview.   Maybe he just wants to take a year of Johnson’s money and chill, or maybe he really was just that bad.  

Imagine that who in their right minds would consider hiring him as a HC in the NFL after what he did and didn't do here for 4 years. 

4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

It's probably a bit of both. Bowles likes the idea of a year or two off.  He thinks that would be a better way to get hired. That's how he got 2 of his 3 OC's eh? 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

What are your feelings on Gase?  I want a younger HC that will go on the ride with us and enjoy multiple Super Bowl Championships

The only thing I don't like about him is I consider him a fin. That's tough for me not to see. 

He checks many of the boxes as we say. He would also come in wit extensive knowledge of the AFC east as well as have a chip toward Miami. 

I'm liking him more and more. Much more than the college guys or Monken. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

At least you know Gase is capable of out coaching other coaches. He does pretty well vs our division. 

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of Gase.  Maybe if he had a few years back at a lower level, got some time to learn from a long list of mistakes and get a better perspective to develop more, I might feel a bit differently.  However, there's nothing to suggest that it's a good idea to immediately award him and essentially approve of his poor performance over the past few years.  I find it curious that any Jets fans of all people would actually buy into this excuse of the Dolphins' endless list of problems get wiped away just because of the crap he dealt with at QB.  I mean, this is the same exact story we kept hearing about Bowles before this season.  Fitz, Geno, McCown, and Petty is no better than Tannehill, Moore, Cutler, and Osweiler, and their respective records with their own trash were very comparable, and we all know how much that was really worth.

Quite literally, the only difference between Bowles' first 3 years as a head coach and Gase's, is that Gase had a very slightly better record of the two, with that entire better record being quite literally being their head-to-head matchups.  That means Gase was actually did worse against the rest of the league than Bowles.  The only things Gase really has going for him is he meets our desperate need for an offensive coach, and he doesn't yet have the 4th year of misery that put the final nail in Bowles' coffin, yet we seem to want to sign up that give him that platform.  Maybe if you only paid attention to when the Dolphins were smacking around the Jets these past few years, you might like what you've seen out of Gase, but outside of that, it's been an endless stream of mediocrity.

I can get the general concept of some people wanting a coach with head coaching experience for a change.  But when it's failed head coaching experience that there's no evidence to suggest he's learned from?  Yeah, no thanks, I'd rather take the gamble on someone who hasn't already shown they aren't good at the job.

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

The only thing I don't like about him is I consider him a fin. That's tough for me not to see. 

He checks many of the boxes as we say. He would also come in wit extensive knowledge of the AFC east as well as have a chip toward Miami. 

I'm liking him more and more. Much more than the college guys or Monken. 

Agree i'm kind of leaning towards Gase,Kingsbury and Ruhle. 

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Maybe all of the above.  I think Bowles either sits out a year or shows up as a coordinator somewhere.

Ever since the Arians to Bucs talk started, it seems to be pretty popular opinion that Bowles will end up back with him again.  While there's a decent chance Bowles will never get another crack at a head coaching gig, if he does it will be much better served if he has some time to regroup, reevaluate, and learn some things.  Those are the times you more often see an improved return from a coach on their second chance, as opposed to those instances of giving a first time failure an immediate second chance, which is one of the reasons I'm opposed to the Gase hire.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Ever since the Arians to Bucs talk started, it seems to be pretty popular opinion that Bowles will end up back with him again.  While there's a decent chance Bowles will never get another crack at a head coaching gig, if he does it will be much better served if he has some time to regroup, reevaluate, and learn some things.  Those are the times you general see an improved return from a coach on their second chance, as opposed to those instances of giving a first time failure an immediate second chance, which is one of the reasons I'm opposed to the Gase hire.

Bowles was a failure here for way more reasons than Gase was in Miami. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bowles was a failure here for way more reasons than Gase was in Miami. 

Yet Gase somehow did worse against everyone other than Bowles.  So yeah, better than Bowles, but no evidence that suggests he is in any way good.  If he gets the job, I'll be rooting for myself to be very, very wrong about this, but I see no evidence of anything that he truly brings to the table as a HC, other than what I think is the skewed perspective of (understandably) jilted Jets fans convincing themselves that everyone is great by the comparison, and being an offensive coach cures all.

I know we've gotten tired of the unknowns filling the position, given the number of times it's failed for the Jets, but in the end, an unknown is still better odds than a known failure.  Like I said before, a few years of moving back to a lower position, and learning and growth in the league might have me feel totally different about him.  But every instance I can ever think of a failed first-timer getting his second chance immediately is a recipe for disaster, as it just convinces the coach he has nothing to learn, as the new team is essentially telling him he's done nothing wrong in their eyes.

16 minutes ago, rldev said:

Well he's bitch slapped us, beaten the Pats and took his team to the playoffs.

Beating the Jets is a horrible means of evaluation, he was 2-4 against the Pats (with one of those 2 being dependent on the pure luck of a lateral), and the playoff appearance was dependent on the alternating year where 10 wins was enough, before they proceeded to get blown out in the playoffs.  There's a lot of digging to pull up the greatness of Gase, mostly dependent on a biased perspective based solely on how much he smacked around the Jets, when the truth is it doesn't really exist.

47 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

He's going to take the DC job with Arians again.

You would figure with how much he accomplished with such a supposedly poor roster he would be a hot candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

I think he's going to have to go back to being a coordinator and have some sustained success before he gets serious HC inquiries again. He was a very bad HC, IMO. 

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I posted about this exact thing earlier in the thread below.  I'll re-post it but building a staff is very important to the hiring decision.  I wonder if Costello read my post because I had Gase first and Kingsbury tied for 6th. :P

One big question for all of these guys is whether they can pull together a good staff.  This was part of the problem in Arizona with Steve Wilks and why he was fired after only one year.  He was not very well connected and didn't have a great network of other coaches.  You have to have a good network in the NFL and ability to attract top coaches.  For "rookie" Head Coaches (ex. not McCarthy, Gase) this can be a bit of a challenge and a reason that the Jets have thus far retained most of their coaching staff despite firing Todd Bowles.

Just taking a stab at ranking the guys who MIGHT be best/most connected and could have the ability to attract a good staff I might rank them....

1. Gase - Solid tree of HCs he's worked for, experience on at least 4-5 NFL teams

2. McCarthy - Smaller, less impressive tree than Gase, history in the league

T-3. Bieniemy - USC, Vikings, Chiefs

T-3. Kris Richard - USC, Seahawks, Cowboys

T-3. Monken - Multilple colleges, Jaguars WR coach 2007-2010, Tampa Bay OC

T-6. Kingsbury - NFL playing experience, never on a NFL staff

T-6. Rhule - 1 season of NFL experience as assistant many years ago

the post guys are grasping just as much as maneesh at this point.  gase makes some sense.  so he told steve ross how much he knew about football.  tanny was his gm and is more of a bean counter.  and then he didn't put up with jarvis landry's clown show.

not my first choice but wouldn't be a bad choice, especially over a college coach.  at least rhule did have some pro experience so he should be able to pull a staff together or he could keep most of the jets (except for kacy).

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of Gase.  Maybe if he had a few years back at a lower level, got some time to learn from a long list of mistakes and get a better perspective to develop more, I might feel a bit differently.  However, there's nothing to suggest that it's a good idea to immediately award him and essentially approve of his poor performance over the past few years.  I find it curious that any Jets fans of all people would actually buy into this excuse of the Dolphins' endless list of problems get wiped away just because of the crap he dealt with at QB.  I mean, this is the same exact story we kept hearing about Bowles before this season.  Fitz, Geno, McCown, and Petty is no better than Tannehill, Moore, Cutler, and Osweiler, and their respective records with their own trash were very comparable, and we all know how much that was really worth.
Quite literally, the only difference between Bowles' first 3 years as a head coach and Gase's, is that Gase had a very slightly better record of the two, with that entire better record being quite literally being their head-to-head matchups.  That means Gase was actually did worse against the rest of the league than Bowles.  The only things Gase really has going for him is he meets our desperate need for an offensive coach, and he doesn't yet have the 4th year of misery that put the final nail in Bowles' coffin, yet we seem to want to sign up that give him that platform.  Maybe if you only paid attention to when the Dolphins were smacking around the Jets these past few years, you might like what you've seen out of Gase, but outside of that, it's been an endless stream of mediocrity.
I can get the general concept of some people wanting a coach with head coaching experience for a change.  But when it's failed head coaching experience that there's no evidence to suggest he's learned from?  Yeah, no thanks, I'd rather take the gamble on someone who hasn't already shown they aren't good at the job.

Gase’s own players also hated his guts.

Archived