Sorry ? A thread about Jonah Williams

Jetster

Other than that one play, I think Jonah Williams was solid last night. He kept #99 in check all night, no linebacker got by him and when asked to get to the second level, he did. Now is he a #3 ? That remains to be seen. But he’ll be a good nfl’er.

That #92 Williams on the other hand was invisible. Other than a couple of rb stops, he never sniffed the QB and wasn’t a factor. The Clemson Oline did a great job last night 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not popular but if u follow bap and follow the value you take the FQB Haskins. 

Team is one darnold injury from another tank. 

Develop Haskins, let him play preseason and either flip him at some point for multiple picks/player (QBs always go down) or hold him.

Rinse repeat the next year.

32 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

To me the combine is important for two reasons: 1) The interview process - teams get to evaluate the mentality and coachability of a player. 2) It gives the unheralded players a chance to be seen by a larger population.

We ended up with Gholston , because the Jets ignored his film against quality opponents and fell in love with his bench press ability.

Gholston was one of the guys in my mind when I wrote that post. Undeniable freak like athleticism. Complete dud on the field.  I wondered why he was considered a top 10 pick that year. 

Thanks for the other input. 

17 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Other than that one play, I think Jonah Williams was solid last night. He kept #99 in check all night, no linebacker got by him and when asked to get to the second level, he did. Now is he a #3 ? That remains to be seen. But he’ll be a good nfl’er.

That #92 Williams on the other hand was invisible. Other than a couple of rb stops, he never sniffed the QB and wasn’t a factor. The Clemson Oline did a great job last night 

Really didn't think any of the big 3 for 2019 draft in last night's game (Ferrell, J Williams, Q. Williams) stood out.  

After watching last night, I wouldn't draft one Bama player.  Give me Ferrell if available.  I've seen him a few times and seems like a talented player.  Things will change between now and draft, but Williams is a clone of our sh*tty Williams.

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

We ended up with Gholston , because the Jets ignored his film against quality opponents and fell in love with his bench press ability.

for me to revisit the Gholston pick is dicey but what the heck 

1) the Jets didn't fall in love with his bench press at the Combine. it was notable but he didn't run at the combine etc.  People always say Gholston was a combine guy but he barely did anything in Indy. He had a sick pro day. 

2) Gholston actually had quality film against Jake Long, the 1.1 pick that year, beat him twice in the same half for sacks. what we didn't know was the entire crop was dicey.  over time it became clear  Jake Long wasn't such an amazing pick.

This often happens in Jets "huge bust" years Drob is another example they trade up but the entire crop sucks.  Rex Grossman was one of the guys the Bears picked and the other guy Michael Haynes ended up as a scrub on the Jets DL a couple years later.

Sometimes the entire draft sucks and there are not many great moves to make. 

Go ahead and look at the Gholston and Drob years even with the benefit of hindsight it's super hard to find better picks. 

my point here is guys like Kyle Brady and Ken Obrien hurt far worse from a draft perspective because they missed on obvious winners like Sapp and Marino. a crap pick in a great year is such a huge missed opportunity. a crap pick in a crap year, everyone wails and moans but sometimes that just happens. 

to bring it back to this year reaching for an OL in a historically great edge rush or interior d line draft feels like a missed opportunity and goes against everything Mac stands for. 

4 hours ago, The Troll said:

The one time we tank correctly and the third pick is garbage.

After the NFL Draft Scouting Combine we'll be glad we have the 3rd overall pick. There are always guys teams fall in love with in February. Maybe that's an opportunity to trade down, or maybe we get the guy we want. 

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

I was not impressed with Jonah Williams last night. 3rd overall? They did not run behind him much. He looked lumbering & Farrell pushed him around a few times. I know there are fans who think, hell, if someone's gonna rate him at 10, why not take him at 3 but I'd rather have the best pass rusher or WR on the board, or even Greedy Williams if he's Head & shoulders the best CB in the draft. 

With the absence of an Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Joe Thomas type OT in this Draft a guy like Jonah Williams was bound to climb the board.  He's the best prospect....in an average class that really doesn't have many standouts.  Williams is big and moves well, very sound technically and has experience at several Offensive Line positions.  But he simply doesn't blow anyone away as a standout athlete, a potential franchise LT.  He's going to be a very good Pro and will likely start on some team's offensive line for a long time.....somewhere.  Maybe as a LT, maybe as a Guard.  But I just don't see a future Pro Bowl guy here.....and that's what you have to see when you use a Top 3 pick.  The guy has to jump off the tape for you.

I'd probably be the first person to jump up and clap if we draft him.....at 7.

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm not a college football watcher and I truly enjoy the guys on here giving their breakdowns every year. I enjoy learning about the players and watching all the reels etc.

I have a question though. Wouldn't it be more important to evaluate a player in the actual game situation than the reps on the bench and the long jump etc at the combine?  I get that we get to see raw athleticism and all that, but there are things like in game speed and instincts that I tend to value more. 

When I see guys fly up the board at the combine it always concerns me.  

Good post.

In my opinion the Combine should be used for two things:

1. Confirm things you've already seen in game film such as speed or strength.  It's just another data point when a guy runs a 4.3 second 40-yard dash when you saw him burning go-routes all season at WR.

2. Alleviate concerns/questions you have about other things.  Maybe a QB didn't throw too many passes from the right hash mark to the left sideline during games this season.  Maybe it wasn't in his coach's gameplan but also, maybe the QB simply can't do it well.  Getting him to throw those at the Combine can reduce your concerns about that aspect of his game.

If a guy looked lazy during multiple games or never got any push up the middle as a DT, then he comes in and benches 50 reps that doesn't really move the needle much for me.  Functional strength is different.  He can bench the planet but maybe he doesn't use leverage well when playing.  Maybe he doesn't have the lower body strength and push through the hips to force offensive linemen backwards.  That sort of thing.

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Gholston was one of the guys in my mind when I wrote that post. Undeniable freak like athleticism. Complete dud on the field.  I wondered why he was considered a top 10 pick that year. 

Thanks for the other input. 

Because he got 3 sacks that year vs Jake Long in the OSU-Michigan game and Jake Long was the #1 pick that year. They totally overlooked the rest of his very average career. Great for Gholston, not so much for us.

29 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

After watching last night, I wouldn't draft one Bama player.  Give me Ferrell if available.  I've seen him a few times and seems like a talented player.  Things will change between now and draft, but Williams is a clone of our sh*tty Williams.

I really like Ferrell as well.

This could be the Bosa, Allen, Ferrell draft.  Sprinkle in Q. Williams and Ed Oliver and you start to see just how sick of a DLine draft this is.

But to @bitonti's point, is this a great DLine draft or are the offensive linemen in college football this year so mediocre that all these guys look good?

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Because he got 3 sacks that year vs Jake Long in the OSU-Michigan game and Jake Long was the #1 pick that year. They totally overlooked the rest of his very average career. Great for Gholston, not so much for us.

Gholston didn’t love the game once he got his contract it was oveR

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Gholston didn’t love the game once he got his contract it was oveR

That's why you DRAFT FOOTBALL PLAYERS! I can't believe a scouting dept. who has all of that tape on Gholston could miss the fact he was a stiff? 

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Considering you have 4 times the posts I have maybe you should be apologizing for being an anchor on society as a whole and join the real world and actually accomplish something in your life. I would imagine you must be on SS disability.

this post is an attack on my personal identity and I won't stand for it

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

With the absence of an Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Joe Thomas type OT in this Draft a guy like Jonah Williams was bound to climb the board.  He's the best prospect.... 

I'd probably be the first person to jump up and clap if we draft him.....at 7.

QFT he will rise because of need and there will be a limit to that rise. the Jets pick at 1.3 is rare air there will be future guys worth that pick but not this season 

also by the way the Jets tackles are actually ok it's the interior that sucks. and no OL need is worse than the edge need.  

17 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

dewayne-robertson.jpg?w=650&quality=80

That DL stuff is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overrated.  Let's pick offense with the 3 pick.  Or we can just keep doing the MacCagnan-Idzik method.

Yeah cuz Ferrell and Allen both had Robertson’s injury history

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's why you DRAFT FOOTBALL PLAYERS! I can't believe a scouting dept. who has all of that tape on Gholston could miss the fact he was a stiff? 

On the other hand Ferrell looks like a beast and Allen loves the game

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

On the other hand Ferrell looks like a beast and Allen loves the game

Both are lean with long arms. Fast and can close. That's  one thing I noticed about both guys, when they were close? They were really fast in that last 2/3 yards to a tackle.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He did not look awesome. On the other side was not impressed really at all with Quinnen Williams either. Sort of looked like a clone of Leo.

Some of the video I saw of Quinnen Williams made me think he was Sasquatch.  But I did not see Sasquatch on the field last night

7 hours ago, Larz said:

Agree he's a mid first round pick 

We are looking at an edge rusher or maybe Ed Oliver if he tests really well 

With Flacco and probably others available, the QB trade up market doesn't exist and certainly not all the way up to 3

I was hoping to win and to pick outside of the top 5

Congrats to the tank crowd! 

If Jonah isn’t worth the high pick at 3, then take the best WR on the board. It’s not like we don’t need a #1 WR for Sam. We can spend FA money on improving the line easily.  Get a LT a RT, a C, switch Long to G to go with Winters. Take Dexter Williams with one of the 3rd rounders. We have so much money and a few trade options to really upgrade this team this coming year. 

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good post.

In my opinion the Combine should be used for two things:

1. Confirm things you've already seen in game film such as speed or strength.  It's just another data point when a guy runs a 4.3 second 40-yard dash when you saw him burning go-routes all season at WR.

2. Alleviate concerns/questions you have about other things.  Maybe a QB didn't throw too many passes from the right hash mark to the left sideline during games this season.  Maybe it wasn't in his coach's gameplan but also, maybe the QB simply can't do it well.  Getting him to throw those at the Combine can reduce your concerns about that aspect of his game.

If a guy looked lazy during multiple games or never got any push up the middle as a DT, then he comes in and benches 50 reps that doesn't really move the needle much for me.  Functional strength is different.  He can bench the planet but maybe he doesn't use leverage well when playing.  Maybe he doesn't have the lower body strength and push through the hips to force offensive linemen backwards.  That sort of thing.

Right.  That says exactly what Im thinking. 

Thanks for the post.  I get what you're saying. It makes a ton of sense to evaluate guys in that way.  I never like when guys fly up to the first rd or from a late first rounder type to the top 5 due to the combine. I always figure these guys have to know more than me and the guys I'm listening to right?   Sometimes it just doesn't;t seem so.  I knew Dwayne Robertson was a mistake and we used essentially 2 firsts on him. I knew Gholston would suck and e took him at 6. lol 

Anyhoo.  Thanks for adding your thoughts. I appreciate it. 

I actually thought Jonah Williams looked pretty good.

Look, he is not going to wow you with power and blow guys off the ball, and he won't appear like a monster on TV because he isn't 6'8 345.  What he is though, is an excellent technician.  Did you actually see him get beat?

He was used on a ton of combo blocks and even pulled a few times.  I still hope we take Josh Allen, but Jonah is an NFL LT.

8 hours ago, section314 said:

I remember that. Wasn't he the only guy Long gave up sacks to or something like that?  That's one Hot flash in the pan huh? To the tune of a few million smackers. 

Archived