The decision that defines McCarthy

JoJoTownsell1

The Packers are 4-4-1. They are down 27-24 with 4 minutes left in the game. It's 4th and 2 with about 4 minutes left. They are on their own 33 with only 1 timeout. 

You have Aaron Rodgers and a porous defense that has already given up 27 points and the Packers gave up 173 yards rushing and 220 yards passing on the day. 

The season is pretty much on the line and he PUNTED.

The Packers never got the ball back. 

McCarthy was fired soon after.

McCarthy has only interviewed with 1 team. 

No, one decision standing alone is a reason to fire a HC or to not hire him, but it is a culmination of similar "old school" decisions that cost him his job. It's also the kind of decision that frustrated many of us about Bowles. 

Can any of the McCarthy backers defend this decision? This is not a heat of the moment decision. It's something these coaches should be very prepared to make. Especially after a decade of coaching. 

https://thebiglead.com/2018/11/16/there-are-no-numbers-that-support-mike-mccarthy-punting/

Shall we talk about the half dozen times the packers won games they had essentially lost on the last drive with good clock management good play calling and a great QB?

Any coach that has been around for a good length of time in the NFL is going to have errors.  All the fresh young candidates will also make errors but they have not learned from them yet.

Hell we could even pick out a few bellichik errors, single one out and say that defines him.

This coaching search is just like looking at players.  We have a long time productive vet but his best years may be behind him but we know we are going to get some performance out of him.  However we also have some awesome looking young rookies that may be great or may bust.

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I mean Aaron Rodgers missed an open receiver to set up that fourth down.

You realize that whether you punt or go for it, you will eventually need Aaron Rodgers to do something. So whether he missed a wide open WR or didn't is completely irrelevant. That's assuming you are trying to win a game not spite your HOF QB. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Shall we talk about the half dozen times the packers won games they had essentially lost on the last drive with good clock management good play calling and a great QB?

Any coach that has been around for a good length of time in the NFL is going to have errors.  All the fresh young candidates will also make errors but they have not learned from them yet.

Hell we could even pick out a few bellichik errors, single one out and say that defines him.

This coaching search is just like looking at players.  We have a long time productive vet but his best years may be behind him but we know we are going to get some performance out of him.  However we also have some awesome looking young rookies that may be great or may bust.

Yeah but in most cases a two minute drill is controlled completely by the QB on the field, there's no time for sideline communication.

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah but in most cases a two minute drill is controlled completely by the QB on the field, there's no time for sideline communication.

Who designs the offense, who designs the two minute drill, who calls timeouts to get you to the 2 minute drill?

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

While I agree with your overall premise you might just be the only person I have ever heard praise McCarthy for his clock management and play calling abilities. I'm close friends with a lifelong Packers fan and he has complained about horrific game management by McCarthy pretty much since day one when he got the job. At first I thought I was just talking with an overly critical fan but as someone who has watched a lot of Packers over the years, I've learned he was right on the money all those years ago. These I found are from years ago but do a good job of highlighting some of the gripes about him throughout the years. 

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/108869020/green-bay-packers-mike-mccarthy-giving-up-play-calling-duties

https://totalpackers.com/2010/12/whats-with-mike-mccarthy-and-clock-management/

I get that Jets fans are desperate for a guy to change the fortunes of the franchise, I would just caution anyone who expects that savior to be Mike McCarthy. He's a decent enough coach and he may end up doing a good job developing Darnold, but he has some major flaws that have been disguised behind a HOF QB and a talented roster. 

39 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Packers are 4-4-1. They are down 27-24 with 4 minutes left in the game. It's 4th and 2 with about 4 minutes left. They are on their own 33 with only 1 timeout. 

You have Aaron Rodgers and a porous defense that has already given up 27 points and the Packers gave up 173 yards rushing and 220 yards passing on the day. 

No, one decision standing alone is a reason to fire a HC or to not hire him, but it is a culmination of similar "old school" decisions that cost him his job. It's also the kind of decision that frustrated many of us about Bowles. 

Can any of the McCarthy backers defend this decision? This is not a heat of the moment decision. It's something these coaches should be very prepared to make. Especially after a decade of coaching. 

https://thebiglead.com/2018/11/16/there-are-no-numbers-that-support-mike-mccarthy-punting/

Aaron Rodgers was calling his own plays, it was a shit show there. I can't kill the guy for punting from his 30 with minutes to go. Seems like the right move.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Someone who doesn’t like McCarthy at all is posting an article that is trying to make McCarthy look bad to the rest of the board..even though the indictment is a reach.

Makes sense

Luckily most of our posters are smarter than this.

Mike McCarthy would be he best HC the NY Jets have had in recent years but is he the answer.  GB struggled with Aaron Rodgers and it was an ugly struggle. If  the NY Jets hire him we support him and hope for the best. 

Jets need a buck stops with me/him personality. A person in charge. A grown up. McCarthy isn’t a slam dunk by any stretch, but he’d at least tighten things up. 

I mean just watch the first 5 minutes of this. He’s got his hands on everything. He talked more in depth here than Bowles did in 4 seasons.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Someone who doesn’t like McCarthy at all is posting an article that is trying to make McCarthy look bad to the rest of the board..even though the indictment is a reach.

Luckily most of out posters are smarter than this.

makes sense.

It must be great to live in a world where you think you are smarter than a collection of NFL execs that have chosen not to interview McCarthy. Maybe it's just an oversight, I mean don't they know he won a Super Bowl 10 years ago???

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NFL could have very well passed Mike McCarthy on by he hasn't won anything in years and failed miserably lately with Aaron Rodgers thats why i'm not onboard with him. 

What have the other candidates won lately?

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is the dumbest thread ever. I can go back and pick out the same exact decision by every great Coach ever. 

Completely agree. And what McCarthy did on that play does not define him. That's an idiotic premise.  How can that punt define him and not a SB Championship?

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Who designs the offense, who designs the two minute drill, who calls timeouts to get you to the 2 minute drill?

Sure there are design aspects to the 2 minute drill but a lot of what happens on the field at that point is "organized" street ball.

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NFL could have very well passed Mike McCarthy on by he hasn't won anything in years and failed miserably lately with Aaron Rodgers thats why i'm not onboard with him. 

That could be true. It could also be true that AR often defied his play calling. We know about the time that he threw for a TD by NOT going with the coach's call. We truly do not know how many times it either did not work or worse. I am not advocating one way or the other. I am saying however that sometimes a relationship between a QB and a coach can become toxic and poisons the team. It could also be that AR is an a**hole beyond belief and impossible to coach at this point of his career. Just an opinion. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

What have the other candidates won lately?

What does it matter? You don't get credit for a coaches past success. Jeff FIsher was very successful in Tennessee and then awful with the Rams. 

Belichick had a losing record with the Browns and then great with the Pats. 

There is more to a HC than winning games with Aaron Rodgers. 

Don't get me wrong. He is better than a number of other guys out there and I won't lose sleep if we bring him in, but he is not the guy many here think he is. He is not a great offensive mind. He doesn't make great end of game decisions. He will be a good mentor for Darnold. 

Just now, DonCorleone said:

That could be true. It could also be true that AR often defied his play calling. We know about the time that he threw for a TD by NOT going with the coach's call. We truly do not know how many times it either did not work or worse. I am not advocating one way or the other. I am saying however that sometimes a relationship between a QB and a coach can become toxic and poisons the team. It could also be that AR is an a**hole beyond belief and impossible to coach at this point of his career. Just an opinion. 

Agree completely. 

46 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Agree 100%. That guy is never winning another championship. 

People are missing the point on McCarthy.  Jets don't need McCarthy to win another championship.  He 100% developed Rodgers, who in no way shape or form was a slam dunk coming out of college. 

If McCarthy develops Darnold then Darnold is a super star QB in 4 yrs.  If the Jets don't think they can win a ship with McCarthy, they can fire him and have their pick of coaches because everyone would want the job to coach Darnold.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It must be great to live in a world where you think you are smarter than a collection of NFL execs that have chosen not to interview McCarthy. Maybe it's just an oversight, I mean don't they know he won a Super Bowl 10 years ago???

You are basically rambling off crap that Mehta cited as reasons why he doesn’t like McCarthy. That’s a real nice angle there, chief. 

Too bad that jab about winning a super bowl 9 years ago doesn’t hold weight when he’s been to two NFC Championships in 2014 and 2016. Yeah, I’m sure the league really passed him by after 2 seasons.

You and these agenda driven posts are annoying. Come up with a new way to express your displeasure for McCarthy as a head coach because you and you’re militia of short sighted thinkers are beginning to make this debate as stale as you are claiming MM’s playcalling is.

7 minutes ago, SMC said:

Completely agree. And what McCarthy did on that play does not define him. That's an idiotic premise.  How can that punt define him and not a SB Championship?

SB Championship happened a decade ago. The game has changed. Decisions that were viewed as smart/conservative/old school are now considered dumb. The game has advanced. Being more aggressive on 4th down with a HOF QB is the smart move. McVay isn't punting in that spot. Jeff Fisher is. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

You are basically rambling off crap that Mehta cited as reasons why he doesn’t like McCarthy. That’s a real nice angle there, chief. 

Too bad that jab about winning a super bowl 9 years ago doesn’t hold weight when he’s been to two NFC Championships in 2014 and 2016. Yeah, I’m sure the league really passed him by after 2 seasons.

You and these agenda driven posts are annoying. Come up with a new way to express your displeasure for McCarthy as a head coach because you and you’re militia of short sighted thinkers are beginning to make this debate as stale as you are claiming MM’s playcalling is.

Rex Ryan went to two AFC Championship games with buttfumble. 

53 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So he's defined by one play in the tenth game of his 15th year in a very rare losing season?  Okay.  Not the Superbowl?  Not all those division titles?  Not developing Rogers or maximizing Favre?  If you say so.

49 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

4th and 2 from your own 30, down 3. 4:00 to go with one TO and the 2 minute warning? 

Unless you're playing in a Texas 7 man Football HS league (or Bill Bellichick on crack in a PO game...) a Punt is 100% the right call from that part if the field and with that much time.  

How many times are we going to define a guy who went to the playoffs 9 times & won a SB by him thinking his best chance and a stop in one game that didn't work out?

How's Belichich defined?  By the time again the Colts where he went for it, Pats territory, 4 and too much and didn't make it?

You don't like him.  Great, say it and move on, it's not science

5 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

So then why did it take forever for him to start Aaron Jones over Williams at RB, did AR tell Jones to sit down and wave in Williams.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What does it matter? You don't get credit for a coaches past success.

Maybe you should ask why JoeWilly made his comment then if it "doesn't matter"?

I would say it matters because we can only evaluate potential candidates based on the facts of their record to-date.  Anything beyond that, especially with college coaches who have not coached at the NFL level, is pure speculation and projection.

.....he is not the guy many here think he is. He is not a great offensive mind.

I'm not looking for a "great offensive mind".  I'm looking for a very good Head Coach at the NFL level, one that can help turn this franchise around after a decade of abject failure.

If I want a "great offensive mind", I would look for that in the Offensive Coordinator position.

He doesn't make great end of game decisions.

He makes better decision that any Jets Coach we've enjoyed since Parcells.  Let's not pretend the guy sucks at managing games.

He will be a good mentor for Darnold. 

He might.  He might not.  Clearly something soured his relationship (after many many years of success) with Rodgers.  We'll likely never know who was at fault or how much.

With that said, Darnold needs a firm hand, not a new Facebook friend, as a Head Coach.  IMO.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What does it matter? You don't get credit for a coaches past success. Jeff FIsher was very successful in Tennessee and then awful with the Rams. 

Belichick had a losing record with the Browns and then great with the Pats. 

There is more to a HC than winning games with Aaron Rodgers. 

Don't get me wrong. He is better than a number of other guys out there and I won't lose sleep if we bring him in, but he is not the guy many here think he is. He is not a great offensive mind. He doesn't make great end of game decisions. He will be a good mentor for Darnold. 

100% agree with the last part.

Rex Ryan went to two AFC Championship games with buttfumble. 

Did Rex Ryan go to the playoffs 9 out 13 years? Oh he didn’t last 9 years much less 13.

Did Rex Ryan win 125 games in his coaching career?

Did Rex Ryan take the Jets to two other championship games aside from his 09/10 runs?

Does Rex Ryan develop QB’s?

oh.

Archived