Just hire McCarthy already

Maxman

28 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I haven't seen anything documented on the family situation.  Can someone send me a link about McCarthy's family deal?

The family deal is he has school age kids who have been in Green Bay for 12 years and don't want to move.  Been several references to it by scribes over the last few weeks

Co-sign.

Put the checkbook in front of him and ask him what number needs to filled in for him to accept the job. 

Some of these candidates (Caldwell, Rhule) would lead to a lot of empty seats.

McCarthy is an investment. Undisputably the best candidate, by a landslide, and the team will make money back from an energized fanbase and subsequent full stadium. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I mean...he HAS to relocate somewhere, right? He has to get a job at some point, I would imagine.

I read recently that he was famous for only sleeping 3 hours a night for years 

A year off in Green Bay probably sounds pretty good right now 

He's had a month to discuss it with the family and the jets interviewed him days ago 

Maccagan has never conducted a head coach search and Chris is just hoping it will all be over soon lol

Timing is everything, they could announce his hire in 5 minutes, but it's possible that the interview was meh and there is no momentum 

28 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Get it over with. No more of these inexperienced coaches. McCarthy and Darnold = 10 wins is now a bad season.

Brady and Belly will soon be riding off into the sunset. Take this division.

Yup...hey Maccagnan give McCarthy about 1/4 of the key to the vault, you were going to give Kirk (4-25 against teams with winning records) Cousins the Whole Key to save your job last year.  Comes to about $7.5Mill a year for McCarthy, money incredibly well spent.  Why?  He will build a Super QB from the ground up like he did for Rodgers.  He has an incredible canvas and paints to work with.  There is not a single thing the young Franchise QB can not do.

And with that Super QB will come a Super Bowl threat year in and year out.  Just makes good business sense.  You can pay McCarthy's salary 100x over with all the extra merchandise, Darnold jerseys and whatnot sold.  Don't play f**k around, be cheap, or whatever stupid reason you'll give to go in another direction, this is too important while Darnold is still in his NFL infancy.  You DID NOT have the foresight to already have support pieces in place even though everyone knew a QB would have to be brought in...at the very very least, can you give Sam Darnold this?

Sorry fellas if I jinxed it...I can just hear any second now they'll hire the D backs coach from Dallas since I wrote this.  The "Jet Way".

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Very possible. 

The question I keep coming back to is: Why did McCarthy only have one interview? And, if everyone is right that living in the NYC area is not high on his family's wish list, then why was his only interview with us?

Pure guess, he'd like to take the job, and work with Darnold.   Only thing I can think of that would stop him is family resistance.  I know most people on here were born and raised in the NY area, and love it.  It's not generally held in high regard as a place to live, and raise a family by people not from the area. 

Please no. We want a top offensive mind from this decade, not the decade before.  The guy is such a conservative play caller this board will explode when he runs every first down and never goes for it on 4th down.  Rodgers won in spite of him not because of him.  He was changing all the plays on crucial downs anyway.  I'd rather have Gase or Rhule, not a 55 yo retread.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jennings on Mccarthy at 7:27. Pretty much what the Jets need(ed)

That's really what its all about. They even brought up the conservative play calling as well as the positives of MM. Really good and objective discussion. Too brief though. lol

They touched on a very important piece. The idea of having a developing coach with a developing QB is such an important and dangerous aspect of what we are considering. I see Rhule as a little bit more than that, but as far as the NFL experience goes, they have a point. Guys like KK would be a serious roll of the dice I don't want to take. It could be disastrous and I am going to be watching Arizona for more reasons than the Josh Rosen/ Darnold thing now. I'm incredibly curious to see how that turns out over there. 

I want McCarthy so bad. I'd take conservative play calling when we are winning by two TD's all day when you weigh that against the incredible positives McCarthy brings to the table. 

FOR GOD'S SAKES PLEASE GET THE GUY ALREADY!!! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pure guess, he'd like to take the job, and work with Darnold.   Only thing I can think of that would stop him is family resistance.  I know most people on here were born and raised in the NY area, and love it.  It's not generally held in high regard as a place to live, and raise a family by people not from the area. 

Yep. I grew up in the NYC area and moved away years ago. I definitely get that perspective

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

I read recently that he was famous for only sleeping 3 hours a night for years 

A year off in Green Bay probably sounds pretty good right now 

He's had a month to discuss it with the family and the jets interviewed him days ago 

Maccagan has never conducted a head coach search and Chris is just hoping it will all be over soon lol

Timing is everything, they could announce his hire in 5 minutes, but it's possible that the interview was meh and there is no momentum 

true. good points.

After hearing Breer today on Francesa say (something to the tune of) "everyone at the Jets has a different approach to this"...I thought maybe Macc and McCarthy didn't see eye to eye or didn't get along or something of the sort.

Man some of you people seriously overate McCarthy. He's a decent coach and you guys want the Jets to give him a blank check? Do you actually watch Packer games? I always see conservative play calls in crunch time, boneheaded clock management and a generally under achieving team who happen to have a HOF quarterback in his prime. This guy can't do it with a HOF qb, yet he's going to do something with the Jets? Talk about a reach. Why not hire someone who has proven he can beat any team in our division and does not get out coached?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

true. good points.

After hearing Breer today on Francesa say (something to the tune of) "everyone at the Jets has a different approach to this"...I thought maybe Macc and McCarthy didn't see eye to eye or didn't get along or something of the sort.

Who knows right? 

I just looked up his bio he's from Pittsburgh and a steelers fan. 

Maybe in the back of his mind he's seeing cracks in tomlins tenure? 

We all just need some breaking news lol

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Get it over with. No more of these inexperienced coaches. McCarthy and Darnold = 10 wins is now a bad season.

If it were going to be McCarthy, is there any reason that it wouldn't have happened already?  Serious question.  He's a completely different candidate than everyone else, it's not like you're comparing him to others.  You either want him/he wants to coach here, or you don't/he doesn't.  You're not weighing the pros and cons between Mike McCarthy and Kris Richard.

Honestly, and I just said this in another thread, I'm beginning to wonder if the whole search is a charade to soften the blow of hiring the guy who just failed with the Dolphins.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Very possible. 

The question I keep coming back to is: Why did McCarthy only have one interview? And, if everyone is right that living in the NYC area is not high on his family's wish list, then why was his only interview with us?

Because the NFL has passed him by

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Maxman said:

McCarthy hiring doesn’t get me pumped up. But I see no alternative. To go the route of inexperienced coach yet again is just not a good idea. This has to be the hire.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's really what its all about. They even brought up the conservative play calling as well as the positives of MM. Really good and objective discussion. Too brief though. lol

They touched on a very important piece. The idea of having a developing coach with a developing QB is such an important and dangerous aspect of what we are considering. I see Rhule as a little bit more than that, but as far as the NFL experience goes, they have a point. Guys like KK would be a serious roll of the dice I don't want to take. It could be disastrous and I am going to be watching Arizona for more reasons than the Josh Rosen/ Darnold thing now. I'm incredibly curious to see how that turns out over there. 

I want McCarthy so bad. I'd take conservative play calling when we are winning by two TD's all day when you weigh that against the incredible positives McCarthy brings to the table. 

FOR GOD'S SAKES PLEASE GET THE GUY ALREADY!!! 

Yeah. I wouldnt be upset with Rhule as he's built two programs. Hiring the Cowboys defensive backs coach, however, would be a total embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

Maybe it wasn't a show stopper until he had the 45 minute review of the 29 players under contract next year 

Or until he flew into Newark and sat in traffic on the turnpike and 78. Until he realized it was 40 min until he stopped seeing abandoned houses from the road. Until he waited until Linvingston before he would see more than two together trees  in one place. :)

Morris county is nice of course though. :)  

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Hate to say it but I'm feeling it's just not gonna happen. If it was going to happen it would have Saturday.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Or until he flew into Newark and sat in traffic on the turnpike and 78. Until he realized it was 40 min until he stopped seeing abandoned houses from the road. Until he waited until Linvingston before he would see more than two together trees  in one place. :)

Morris county is nice of course though. :)  

He should have taken the scenic route on Rt 21 through Newark. 

27 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

McCarthy ran as fast as a man his size could to the interview for the Jets job. I can't believe how everyone here is so convinced that he turned down the job. He took the interview, but when it ended he decided he really wants a year off to be with his kids. LOL. Why hasn't it dawned on people that maybe, just maybe, for some reason IT WAS THE JETS WHO DECIDED THEY DIDN'T WANT McCARTHY? Isn't it even remotely possible he didn't impress THEM?

He ran as fast as @The Crusher when they're putting out the last batch of bacon at the buffet, but then he stops when he realizes, upon closer inspection, that it's only burnt, twisted strips of tofu stained red with radish juice.

• Haha 4