Just hire McCarthy already

Maxman

15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's really what its all about. They even brought up the conservative play calling as well as the positives of MM. Really good and objective discussion. Too brief though. lol

They touched on a very important piece. The idea of having a developing coach with a developing QB is such an important and dangerous aspect of what we are considering. I see Rhule as a little bit more than that, but as far as the NFL experience goes, they have a point. Guys like KK would be a serious roll of the dice I don't want to take. It could be disastrous and I am going to be watching Arizona for more reasons than the Josh Rosen/ Darnold thing now. I'm incredibly curious to see how that turns out over there. 

I want McCarthy so bad. I'd take conservative play calling when we are winning by two TD's all day when you weigh that against the incredible positives McCarthy brings to the table. 

FOR GOD'S SAKES PLEASE GET THE GUY ALREADY!!! 

You're not winning in today's NFL with conservative play calling and poor clock management. Haven't we learned our lesson the last 4 years? Exactly how are we beating the Chiefs  or Colts (the latest version) that way now or in the future - we aren't. That means we don't get to a Super Bowl. 

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pure guess, he'd like to take the job, and work with Darnold.   Only thing I can think of that would stop him is family resistance.  I know most people on here were born and raised in the NY area, and love it.  It's not generally held in high regard as a place to live, and raise a family by people not from the area. 

IT really is a big deal. Like you said.  I moved away 13 years ago. I live in Central Virginia now. I have't sat in more than 10 min if traffic at rush hour since I moved here. That alone is almost magical.  lol 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pure guess, he'd like to take the job, and work with Darnold.   Only thing I can think of that would stop him is family resistance.  I know most people on here were born and raised in the NY area, and love it.  It's not generally held in high regard as a place to live, and raise a family by people not from the area. 

Which, incidentally, is how we feel about the flyover district.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

School aged kids 

Relocation kiss of death 

My oldest son has now attended 4 schools. You know what it did to him? Taught him to be adaptable and how to figure out schools and make friends quick. Helps that hes a friendly kid. 

McCarthy had been in GB for 13 years. Its not like hes moved all over the place for a decade. And with $10M a year, Im SURE he can find a good school for his kids.

Man up, bro. Don't coddle your kids, they'll be spoiled entitled little punks.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

IT really is a big deal. Like you said.  I moved away 13 years ago. I live in Central Virginia now. I have't sat in more than 10 min if traffic at rush hour since I moved here. That alone is almost magical.  lol 

Lol. Stay away from Northern VA, then!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If it were going to be McCarthy, is there any reason that it wouldn't have happened already?  Serious question.  He's a completely different candidate than everyone else, it's not like you're comparing him to others.  You either want him/he wants to coach here, or you don't/he doesn't.  You're not weighing the pros and cons between Mike McCarthy and Kris Richard.

Take this as you will, but Breer said today that Christopher Johnson was committed to interviewing everyone on their list, no matter what. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If it were going to be McCarthy, is there any reason that it wouldn't have happened already?  Serious question.  He's a completely different candidate than everyone else, it's not like you're comparing him to others.  You either want him/he wants to coach here, or you don't/he doesn't.  You're not weighing the pros and cons between Mike McCarthy and Kris Richard.

Honestly, and I just said this in another thread, I'm beginning to wonder if the whole search is a charade to soften the blow of hiring the guy who just failed with the Dolphins.

This.

If it's McCarthy at the end, I'll be shocked....maybe, just maybe, he had to go home and convince the family...but I doubt it.  We're talking millions of $ here for a 55 yo guy that is approaching retirement age.

Can't see the NYJ interviewing McCarthy and at the end telling him 'we'll get back to you after we interview Kliff Kingsbury and Mat Rhule'...and that's not to knock either of those two guys but rather than to opine that McCarthy is so much different than all the other 'interviewees'.  You either want a HC with McCarthy's 13 yr pedigree or you don't.

In the end, I think there was enough hesitance on both sides (family and the whatever concerns the Jets had) that this didn't happen.

Guess we'll see.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

He ran as fast as @The Crusher when they're putting out the last batch of bacon at the buffet, but then he stops when he realizes, upon closer inspection, that it's only burnt, twisted strips of tofu stained red with radish juice.

As funny as that story is, (and it is funny) I'm still amazed that its pretty much the narrative on this board. McCarthy was out of a job for a few weeks before the season ended. He claimed he was only interested in us or Cleveland. He and his agent had to do their due diligence on both franchises before he came to interview. But if you want to believe he walked into the facility and suddenly found dyed burnt strips of tofu, and ran out, that's fine. Go with it. Like I said, it makes a funny story... 

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Mac and CJ were thinking before the interviews that it was McCarthys job to lose and the others guys scheduled we're just for the Rooney rule and to create a buzz. Then McCarthy interviewed and completely bombed and now they're pissing their pants lol

• Upvote 1

Some talent on a team can make the difference between a great innovative QB coach guru and a guy who the game has passed by.

Examine Andy Reid and Mike McCarthy,  very similar winning %, playoff records etc except mccarthy has won a super bowl.  Reid looks like a genius because he has a great young Qb and some dynamic talent.

When Reid left philly after some down years people wanted to bury him.

I'll be fine with McCarthy or a few of the other guys.  I just have about 3 DO NOT WANT guys in this list of coaches.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Take this as you will, but Breer said today that Christopher Johnson was committed to interviewing everyone on their list, no matter what. 

Interesting, but not smart.  You want the big fish, you take him when you can get him.  You don't insult him by saying, we like you but we're going to see what the guy from Baylor has to say.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You're not winning in today's NFL with conservative play calling and poor clock management. Haven't we learned our lesson the last 4 years? Exactly how are we beating the Chiefs  or Colts (the latest version) that way now or in the future - we aren't. That means we don't get to a Super Bowl. 

I hear ya. and don't disagree entirely. 

My point was in reference to the video where Jennings stated MM would tend to get conservative when they had a lead. I mentioned in my post that I would take it up by 14 points all day. That's the kicker I suppose.  When we are kicking the snot out of teams in the first three quarters with efficient and effective play by our dominant O line, Running game and generational QB its more than ok to slow the game down.  Just need some more those pieces huh? :) 

It's only when it's not working that conservative becomes an issue. When you are effective and efficient it's not even noticed. It's just winning.  The Packers have been slowly depleting their talent over the past three seasons. Things get magnified when that happens. We generally don't know the whole story either on why things went the way they did.  

17 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Maybe just maybe the Jets and McCarthy have an agreement in place but the Jets want to interview some of the other candidates to try to lure them into coordinator jobs? Nah - McCarthy would wanna hire his own staff. Was a thought for a second. 

I keep catching myself thinking silly stuff like that. It's really not so realistic when it comes out of our brains into the light of day huh? At least in my brain it sounds good for a few seconds. I don't have the best brain though. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some talent on a team can make the difference between a great innovative QB coach guru and a guy who the game has passed by.

Examine Andy Reid and Mike McCarthy,  very similar winning %, playoff records etc except mccarthy has won a super bowl.  Reid looks like a genius because he has a great young Qb and some dynamic talent.

When Reid left philly after some down years people wanted to bury him.

I'll be fine with McCarthy or a few of the other guys.  I just have about 3 DO NOT WANT guys in this list of coaches.

So what's Mac's excuse? He has a HOF qb and plenty of dynamic players. He had a good running back and didn't even know it.

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah. I wouldnt be upset with Rhule as he's built two programs. Hiring the Cowboys defensive backs coach, however, would be a total embarrassment.

Completely agree. I've warmed significantly on Rhule. Seems like the natural progression. More so than a coordinator who's never run a program anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Lol. Stay away from Northern VA, then!

LOL. Oh I do buddy.  That's not even considered Virginia down here. That's DC man.  I hate when I have to go through there to go to Baltimore or to come up to NJ.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Interesting, but not smart.  You want the big fish, you take him when you can get him.  You don't insult him by saying, we like you but we're going to see what the guy from Baylor has to say.

Well, considering that McCarthy hasn't interviewed anywhere else, I don't their approach has hurt them. 

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

As funny as that story is, (and it is funny) I'm still amazed that its pretty much the narrative on this board. McCarthy was out of a job for a few weeks before the season ended. He claimed he was only interested in us or Cleveland. He and his agent had to do their due diligence on both franchises before he came to interview. But if you want to believe he walked into the facility and suddenly found dyed burnt strips of tofu, and ran out, that's fine. Go with it. Like I said, it makes a funny story... 

It's called testing the waters. Perhaps he wasn't entirely sold on coaching at all this year, but saw Darnold, and wanted to see if the job blew him away enough to commit. And perhaps it hasn't.

1 hour ago, rldev said:

So what's Mac's excuse? He has a HOF qb and plenty of dynamic players. He had a good running back and didn't even know it.

plenty of dynamic players?  As in Davante Adams and .......  and who is the good rb? 

It would be nice for once for people to realize that Rodgers is not or should not be the teflon don.

One could ask what andy reids excuse was when his team fell off the earth in philly two years in a row.

There is no perfect candidate out there because perfect candidates do not get fired.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

This.

If it's McCarthy at the end, I'll be shocked....maybe, just maybe, he had to go home and convince the family...but I doubt it.  We're talking millions of $ here for a 55 yo guy that is approaching retirement age.

Can't see the NYJ interviewing McCarthy and at the end telling him 'we'll get back to you after we interview Kliff Kingsbury and Mat Rhule'...and that's not to knock either of those two guys but rather than to opine that McCarthy is so much different than all the other 'interviewees'.  You either want a HC with McCarthy's 13 yr pedigree or you don't.

In the end, I think there was enough hesitance on both sides (family and the whatever concerns the Jets had) that this didn't happen.

Guess we'll see.

I fear that this is correct. Heres the thing, there are 8 jobs open this year, and they're getting filled quick. Mac turned down the Cards outright, had a meet scheduled with the Browns, which was then pushed back, and now kind of in limbo. I haven't heard any other teams announcing interviews with him. If he DIDN'T want to coach in 19, why interview at all? But with all of that being said, lets say he does hold out until next year....where does he go? What openings can you see? In no particular order....

Pete Carroll just got extended 2 years.

McDaniels staying in NE to take over for BB.

I dont see the staid Giants firing Shurmur....yet.

Dallas? Nope. 

KC? LOL

Buffalo? They seem all in with McDermott.

Baltimore extending Harbaugh...

LA, LA, Raiders, Chicago, Houston, Indy, Tenn, SF, NO? Don't see a coaching change for any of them.

Jets, Miami, TB, GB(lol), Browns, Cincinatti, Cards....all going to hire a coach this year. 

Whats left? Atlanta maybe, with a veteran QB? Jacksonville? Is that what Mac is waiting for? Does he see Pitt firing Tomlin after '19 and going for the hometown gig? 

Right now, the Jets are tailor made for him. Emerging QB. Pliant and accommodating GM. Non meddling ownership, amd $100M roster to build a roster with. 

GB isn't hiring Mac back. Ever. Hes going to have to move unless he lives separated from his family, or retires from coaching. 

So if Mac turned down the job, its a huge mistake. And if the Jets would rather have a coach learning OTJ while trying to develop Sam (Rhule, Monken), or hire a guy that jusy got fired for FAILING to develop a QB (Gase), THEY are making a huge mistake. 

Get your sh*t together, guys and make this happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's called testing the waters. Perhaps he wasn't entirely sold on coaching at all this year, but saw Darnold, and wanted to see if the job blew him away enough to commit. And perhaps it hasn't.

I agree, that's certainly a possibility. I'm not looking to argue, I was just pointing out there is also the possibility that he didn't blow the Jets away in that interview. I never bought into the idea that the Jets were blessed that he deemed them worthy, and they should have gratefully hired him for that reason.