Just hire McCarthy already

Maxman

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I agree, that's certainly a possibility. I'm not looking to argue, I was just pointing out there is also the possibility that he didn't blow the Jets away in that interview. I never bought into the idea that the Jets were blessed that he deemed them worthy, and they should have gratefully hired him for that.

Totally. I mean, the guy was fired, after all. 

14 minutes ago, rldev said:

So what's Mac's excuse? He has a HOF qb and plenty of dynamic players. He had a good running back and didn't even know it.

22nd ranked Defense by points allowed seems like a good starting point.

Odd that GB had the 14th ranked scoring Offense despite McCarthy's much bally-hood supposed ineptness, and after hiring Lafluer, it was announced that Pettine is being retained as DC. 

17 minutes ago, rldev said:

So what's Mac's excuse? He has a HOF qb and plenty of dynamic players. He had a good running back and didn't even know it.

Excuse for what? Winning a F#CKING SUPER BOWL? Going to the Playoffs 70% of his time? LOL. Excuse....thats rich.

Please. This fan base is ******* retarded. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

Sent the schefter tweet to a buddy of mine (non jets fan), his only response was “he wants Darnold.”

I agree, McCarthy knows what good quarterbacks look like. He’s not going to hitch his wagon to a qb that’s questionable. He thinks Darnold is the best and only opportunity worth taking. Let’s get it done

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Excuse for what? Winning a F#CKING SUPER BOWL? Going to the Playoffs 70% of his time? LOL. Excuse....thats rich.

Please. This fan base is ******* retarded. 

agreed, people are whining they don't want a HC with 13yrs of nfl experience, .600+ winning pct, 4 NFC conference championship games and a super bowl ring?? WTF?? We had to watch Toilet Bowles for the last 4yrs for christ sakes!! cmon people!!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You're not winning in today's NFL with conservative play calling and poor clock management. Haven't we learned our lesson the last 4 years? Exactly how are we beating the Chiefs  or Colts (the latest version) that way now or in the future - we aren't. That means we don't get to a Super Bowl. 

Counterpoint: Without someone to develop Sam Darnold, we perhaps don’t even make the playoffs. Darnold’s going to make the Pro Bowl under McCarthy, once that happens we are perennial contenders...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Schefter

Former Packers’ HC Mike McCarthy doesn’t want to be considered, and isn’t pursuing, any other HC vacancy other than the New York Jets’, per source.

Mike Maccagnan is backed into a corner. If McCarthy doesn't sign now, Joe Benigno will have a stroke!

• Haha 1

Just now, long time suffering Jets f said:

Mike Maccagnan is backed into a corner. If McCarthy doesn't sign now, Joe Benigno will have a stroke!

Brilliant play from McCarthy’s camp. Now we have to write the big check because we’re all expecting McCarthy now. Can’t have that leak and announce Adam Gase tomorrow 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, k-met57 said:

I honestly cant believe the anti McCarthy Jets fans....they want to pass on a guy with a better career record then Sean Payton for a guy who was 6-7 in Baylor last year and has 1 year of NFL coordinator experience. Honestly not even interested in a debate...its just stupid.

Is freaking Aaron Rodgers coming with him? My god that teams been dreadful for years now.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

How many SB’s does Sean Payton have without drew Brees? I’ll wait

He has "only" 1 measly, paltry SB WITH him, and a couple of years ago had an historically bad Defense and a 3 year run of 7-9 seasons. With Drew Brees.

That guy SUCKS. LOL.

• Upvote 1

He has "only" 1 measly, paltry SB WITH him, and a couple of years ago had an historically bad Defense and a 3 year run of 7-9 seasons. With Drew Brees.

That guy SUCKS. LOL.

Jets fans are the worst at outsmarting themselves. Only thing that makes a diff is Money and final say...and it’s not my money. Anyone making an argument against 127-75 + SB + playoff games galore vs 6-7 in Baylor is borderline retarded.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is freaking Aaron Rodgers coming with him? My god that teams been dreadful for years now.

Yes, his name is Sam Darnold.

Rodgers was not even in the same league as a blue chip prospect as Darnold was and McCarthy MADE Rodgers into a HOFer.  It stuns me how this keeps on getting overlooked. McCarthy reinvented Rodgers as a QB, changed his throwing motion & footwork, taught him how to read defenses.

THAT'S what you're bringing McCarthy in for. If he makes Darnold into a star it doesnt matter how good of a HC McCarthy is because eventually Jets can just fire him and pick anyone they want because every good coach available would want to coach the Jets because of Darnold.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I honestly cant believe the anti McCarthy Jets fans....they want to pass on a guy with a better career record then Sean Payton for a guy who was 6-7 in Baylor last year and has 1 year of NFL OL coach experience. Honestly not even interested in a debate...its just stupid.

I get that... And I'm really not pro-anyone right now.

But I still think McCarthy's playcalling has gotten stale. Offenses have evolved in the last few years, but he's stayed with the same base west coast offense... It's predictable and boring and unimaginative. 

McCarthy is similar to Andy Reid a few years ago, I think... Reid lost his job in Philly because other NFC offenses were starting to blow him and his strict West Coast style out of the water... But since coming to KC, especially the last couple seasons, he (and his coaches) have made a sort of hybrid West Coast style. They use sweeps, throw deeper balls, use more motion and spread-offense type pre-snap movement...

If McCarthy comes to NY with the same gameplan he's been using in GB for the last 6+ years, it's not going to work. It's not an inventive enough style... But if he brings in an OC with some new ideas, and uses his great experience alongside some new concepts, I think it'll be a great success... 

It's just worrisome because no one really knows how stubborn or stuck in his current ways McCarthy will be... H

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I honestly cant believe the anti McCarthy Jets fans....they want to pass on a guy with a better career record then Sean Payton for a guy who was 6-7 in Baylor last year and has 1 year of NFL OL coach experience. Honestly not even interested in a debate...its just stupid.

Why do you think no other teams appear interested in McCarthy? That doesn't raise any red flags?

Why is he leaking to Schefter that he ONLY wants the Jets job? Who negotiates a contract that way? If he was a great hire, he could just sit back and let multiple teams bid for his services. Why isn't that happening? 

Maybe the dude is just a great coach or maybe execs around the league feel like he hasn't done enough with Rodgers and the game is passing him by. Maybe Aaron Rodgers was calling his own plays because McCarthy's play calls weren't that good. 

These are questions we should be asking. Instead, it's OMG OMG McCarthy would give us respect around the NFL.....even though other NFL teams don't seem to want him. 

I get that... And I'm really not pro-anyone right now.
But I still think McCarthy's playcalling has gotten stale. Offenses have evolved in the last few years, but he's stayed with the same base west coast offense... It's predictable and boring and unimaginative. 
McCarthy is similar to Andy Reid a few years ago, I think... Reid lost his job in Philly because other NFC offenses were starting to blow him and his strict West Coast style out of the water... But since coming to KC, especially the last couple seasons, he (and his coaches) have made a sort of hybrid West Coast style. They use sweeps, throw deeper balls, use more motion and spread-offense type pre-snap movement...
If McCarthy comes to NY with the same gameplan he's been using in GB for the last 6+ years, it's not going to work. It's not an inventive enough style... But if he brings in an OC with some new ideas, and uses his great experience alongside some new concepts, I think it'll be a great success... 
It's just worrisome because no one really knows how stubborn or stuck in his current ways McCarthy will be... H

I get all that, but let me throw this at you...

The jets win 5 games a year on average (being nice), McCarthy goes to the playoffs on average and mostly beyond that.

Play calling? Who gives a sh*t? It’s about wins! People make it sound like he is Art Shell it something. This guy was in the NFC championship game 2 years ago!

People are so focused on “offensive geniuses”, how about an adult who can make us respectable for once? I’ll take that for now...
  • Upvote 3

Why do you think no other teams appear interested in McCarthy? That doesn't raise any red flags?
Why is he leaking to Schefter that he ONLY wants the Jets job? Who negotiates a contract that way? If he was a great hire, he could just sit back and let multiple teams bid for his services. Why isn't that happening? 
Maybe the dude is just a great coach or maybe execs around the league feel like he hasn't done enough with Rodgers and the game is passing him by. Maybe Aaron Rodgers was calling his own plays because McCarthy's play calls weren't that good. 

These are questions we should be asking. Instead, it's OMG OMG McCarthy would give us respect around the NFL.....even though other NFL teams don't seem to want him. 

Arizona offered him the gig with full control, which he turned down.
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Nightmare scenario unfolding for the Johnsons. This is about money. 

Oh well.  They've taken a nice share of my money through the years.  What goes around comes around Woodychris.  Pay the man.  I don't care about your money.   The cap remains the same.