Kacy Rodgers....d-line coach Tampa

k-met57

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'm sure the new theme song for the 2019 Bucs will be the Talking Heads classic "Once in a Lifetime"    You may ask yourself, my God, what have I done?

Meh.  Bruce Arians is the HC.  The same guy that went 49-30-1 in Arizona (and the team fell apart as soon as he left).  And he did that with the likes of Drew Stanton (13 games), Blaine Gabbert (5 games) and Ryan Lindley (2 games) at QB, sandwiching Palmer (60 games).  Meaning he went 49-30-1 while being forced to roll with a substandard QB 25 % of the time. 

And he most certainly got the best out of an aging Carson Palmer, who'd worn out his welcome at his previous 2 stops (he only lasted 2 years in Oakland) but seemed to be well-behaved and certainly productive in his 5 years under Arians.  He had the best statistical season of his career in 2015 at the age of 36 under Arians (63.7 % completions, 104.6 QB Rating).  My guess is we see a rejuvenated, improved Jameis Winston in Tampa. 

I don't think much else matters.  Bowles has a strong track record as a DC too.  Maybe that was all Arians too, but he was known as one of the league's elite DC's while he was there, leading to him getting the HC job here. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meh.  Bruce Arians is the HC.  I don't think much else matters.  Bowles has a strong track record as a DC. 

Bowles had good players in AZ. 

The Glazers are up there with the Johnsons in the bad  owner category.  No regrets here  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meh.  Bruce Arians is the HC.  The same guy that went 49-30-1 in Arizona (and the team fell apart as soon as he left).  I don't think much else matters.  Bowles has a strong track record as a DC. 

Seriously... this.  Neither Bowles nor Rodgers were cut out for their jobs with the Jets, that much is very clear, but let's not pretend they didn't have prior success in these roles that eventually led them to those jobs.  I'm sure they'll be just fine back in their more comfortable positions.

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Like I said in another thread. Just because a guy failed as a Head Coach doesn't mean he wasn't good as a Coordinator. Some of the best coordinators in the NFL are failed Head Coaches.. Jim Schwartz and Wade Phillips immediately come to mind. 

Peter Principle in action.

It goes to show how vastly different the responsibilities are for a Coordinator vs a Head Coach, and why its smart to exercise caution before hiring any Coordinator to take on a HC job. 

I made this analogy in another thread:  It's like taking your most brilliant car mechanic and asking him to manage the shop.  He goes from exclusively working on cars to now having to handle payroll, customer service complaints, task management, and bottom line business decisions.  Two very different jobs. 

Much the same way, when you hire a Coordinator to a HC job, he no longer is worrying about teaching technique.  He's leaving that to others, and becomes the CEO of the day to day operations of the entire roster.  He needs to be able to have input on every aspect of the team, without micro-managing the Coordinators.  He has to worry about optics and team discipline.  He no longer can interact with his players the same way he did as a Coordinator, since he'll have to make some tough decisions on which players to cut during camp. 

It's a totally different job, so it should be no surprise that so many guys who were terrific coordinators prove to be uncomfortable and unsuccessful as HC's.

11 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Todd is a good DC, he's not a good HC.  TB will be solid next year.

Simple as that.  And to think I used so many words to sum up what you just said in two short sentences, lol. 

It's like when Lincoln took 2 minutes to deliver the Gettysburg Address, whereas the guy who spoke before him (Edward Everett) talked for over 2 hours and his words were completely forgotten by history, lol. 

2 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Todd is a good DC, he's not a good HC.  TB will be solid next year.

They'll be solid if they happen to acquire 11 All-Pros to start, then Bowles can't do any damage.  This guy's D just finished I think 26th in the league, and this is after 4 years of the Jets investing probably 80% of their Assets on Defense, as usual.  The D handed to Bowles in AZ was virtually all All-Pros...Calais Campbell, Patrick Peterson, Honey Badger, Buchanon etc.

Were you watching any Jet football the last 4 years?  You didn't see D bacs getting torched on a regular basis, confused by their assignments?  Overmatched guys in single coverage against the likes of Dandre Hopkins time and time again.  Who knows if Trumane Johnson got disgusted because he played press and thrived and then Bowles put him in zone.  Bowles fingerprints are all over lots of Maccagnan's busted Drafts.  Looks like Maccagnan gave Bowles much of what he asked for and you saw Bowles D collapse at almost a 100% rate for 4 consecutive years.

Let me tell you something, I used to have lots of respect for Bill Polian and enjoyed listening to his thoughts on Sirius, not anymore.  The guy blew all credibility as far as I'm concerned.  Last night he made every excuse imaginable for Bowles failure over the last 4 years.  The most laughable was when he said Bowles was very "adaptable", he'll never try to "fit a square plug in a round hole".  I guess there now is a new meaning for the word adaptable, because we saw the guy play Vet after Vet many who were either finished physically or who didn't even care anymore, to the detriment of the team and the future.  The worst on Offense with Long at C.  What if some NT landed on Darnold's right arm ripping the rotator cuff while he was chasing down another misfired snap from Long OVER THE 9 GAMES HE PLAYED HIM AT C?  Then what?  Did Bowles even think of that?  Probably did, but f**k it, I'll roll the dice, nobody is going to blame me later on I'll just point my finger at the GM for giving me these players. Always protecting his job 1st with team 2nd the whole time he was here. Even dressing up losing scores...yeah kick a FG down 30-0..."see, at least I didn't get shut out".

This guy is the most protected guy in any job in America.  Any surprise it was Arians who just hired him again?  Arians who during a broadcast this year said he was doing "an outstanding job".

45 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Like I said in another thread. Just because a guy failed as a Head Coach doesn't mean he wasn't good as a Coordinator. Some of the best coordinators in the NFL are failed Head Coaches.. Jim Schwartz and Wade Phillips immediately come to mind. 

But how does that explain Rodgers? Bowles ran the defense despite Rodgers title. We had Sheldon, Mo, and Williams here over that time and they all blew donkey balls. So yeah, hire him as DL coach. Good ‘Ol Boys network at its finest. 

Meh.  Bruce Arians is the HC.  The same guy that went 49-30-1 in Arizona (and the team fell apart as soon as he left).  And he did that with the likes of Drew Stanton (13 games), Blaine Gabbert (5 games) and Ryan Lindley (2 games) at QB, sandwiching Palmer (60 games).  Meaning he went 49-30-1 while being forced to roll with a substandard QB 25 % of the time. 
And he most certainly got the best out of an aging Carson Palmer, who'd worn out his welcome at his previous 2 stops (he only lasted 2 years in Oakland) but seemed to be well-behaved and certainly productive in his 5 years under Arians.  He had the best statistical season of his career in 2015 at the age of 36 under Arians (63.7 % completions, 104.6 QB Rating).  My guess is we see a rejuvenated, improved Jameis Winston in Tampa. 
I don't think much else matters.  Bowles has a strong track record as a DC too.  Maybe that was all Arians too, but he was known as one of the league's elite DC's while he was there, leading to him getting the HC job here. 

Right. It’s a good hire by arians and they have a successful track record together. why not?

I think kacy has antiquated thinking and cant keep up with the offensive minds in the nfl today, but concentrating on one positional group may be more his speed.

Besides Bowles seems to like him and I have the utmost trust in Bowles so...

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

But how does that explain Rodgers? Bowles ran the defense despite Rodgers title. We had Sheldon, Mo, and Williams here over that time and they all blew donkey balls. So yeah, hire him as DL coach. Good ‘Ol Boys network at its finest. 

Like some coordinators that can't handle running an entire team, perhaps Rodgers isn't capable of running an entire defense and is better suited to focus on the DL.

I hate Rodgers with a passion. He wasn't qualified from day 1, day 200, day 400, day 800, day 1000 yet because he is Bowles' buddy he was immune from getting fired. 

if we are being honest Bowles was always a DC posing as a HC and Rodgers was also overmatched as a DC. These guys Peter Principled up, which happens, but why is it always the Jets who give that promotion?

it could have something to do with the fact other teams make moves and sign the guys they want and the Jets wait until musical chairs is over and take whatever is left  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

if we are being honest Bowles was always a DC posing as a HC and Rodgers was also overmatched as a DC. These guys Peter Principled up, which happens, but why is it always the Jets who give that promotion?

b/c the jets never had anyone like darnold to attract better candidates.  do you really think mccarthy would want to go to the jets if they had rosen?

Archived