"The League has gone nuts. If you've been around McVay or Mahomes you get a HC opportunity."

jetstream23

Interesting quote from Damien Woody following the Kingsbury hire.  He reminded everyone that there are two other phases to the game and was disappointed that Wilks was shown the door so quickly after just one month on a team with a rookie QB and depleted offensive line.  It's a metaphor but he's essentially saying that if you've bumped into Sean McVay at a Starbucks or have a poster of Patrick Mahomes on your wall that's good enough to get you into a room with a NFL front office for a HC interview.  His best line, "Can we at least wait a week until McVay has won a playoff game...."

The NFC West is now three young, offensive-minded head coaches in McVay (32), Kingsbury (39) and Kyle Shanahan (39)......and then you have Pete Carroll (67).  Very interesting.

Reminds me of the dot.com boom in the late 90’s.  Anything remotely related to the internet was a “got to have”.  These companies never generated a profit, but people didn’t care, OMG is an internet company.  I kinda feel that way regarding these coaches.  

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting quote from Damien Woody following the Kingsbury hire.  He reminded everyone that there are two other phases to the game and was disappointed that Wilks was shown the door so quickly after just one month on a team with a rookie QB and depleted offensive line.  It's a metaphor but he's essentially saying that if you've bumped into Sean McVay at a Starbucks or have a poster of Patrick Mahomes on your wall that's good enough to get you into a room with a NFL front office for a HC interview.  His best line, "Can we at least wait a week until McVay has won a playoff game...."

The NFC West is now three young, offensive-minded head coaches in McVay (32), Kingsbury (39) and Kyle Shanahan (39)......and then you have Pete Carroll (67).  Very interesting.

Interesting, I dont recall Kliff and McVay working with each other.  Or maybe the Cardinals saw an underperforming rookie QB and want to bring a guy in who can tap into his potential? 

Just a thought...

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Reminds me of the dot.com boom in the late 90’s.  Anything remotely related to the internet was a “got to have”.  These companies never generated a profit, but people didn’t care, OMG is an internet company.  I kinda feel that way regarding these coaches.  

Dogwalkers dot.com got 249,495 page view this month.  Those "eyeballs" can be monetized with a click ad.  IPO price is set and goes up 1,484% in the first 10 minutes of trading.  I remember those days very, very well as I was working in Silicon Valley at the time.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago....everybody is all hot in the pants for these guys who havent done a damn thing yet but provide entertaining television. 

I dont mind having a high flying offense but I'd take a slow, prodding, boring superbowl ring right now in a NY minute. 

Just now, JiF said:

Interesting, I dont recall Kliff and McVay working with each other.  Or maybe the Cardinals saw an underperforming rookie QB and want to bring a guy in who can tap into his potential? 

Just a thought...

The attempt to connect people with McVay has gone completely overboard.  There were people pointing out that the Cardinals went out of their way to connect McVay and Kliff:

I believe I heard on the radio this morning that the Cardinals have since revised the announcement...but the internetz never forgets.

Look look!!!! He's qualified!  He's friends with McVay!!!!

Lolz all around

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Dogwalkers dot.com got 249,495 page view this month.  Those "eyeballs" can be monetized with a click ad.  IPO price is set and goes up 1,484% in the first 10 minutes of trading.  I remember those days very, very well as I was working in Silicon Valley at the time.

Me too.  I was living in San Diego during that time.  Late 90’s cell phones were just on the verge of becoming necessities.   A friend of mine worked for Qualcomm based in San Diego.   He begged me to buy Qualcomm stock, borrowed a bunch of money from my parents and boom.  

Lehigh is now getting some of that money....Lol

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

The attempt to connect people with McVay has gone completely overboard.  There were people pointing out that the Cardinals went out of their way to connect McVay and Kliff:

I believe I heard on the radio this morning that the Cardinals have since revised the announcement...but the internetz never forgets.

Lolz all around

Thank God for Arizona

Kingsbury was just about the last guy I wanted. 

McCarthy, Rhule, Gase, Monken...I’m cool with all of those guys. 

But I can’t recall the last time someone failed upwards like Kliff has.

5 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Same thoughts about McVay and Nagy.

Can they at least win a single playoff game before being anointed Coryell 2.0

Both of those teams have been awful for nearly this entire decade (longer than that even for the Rams). They turned those franchises around immediately and turned highly picked QBs that looked like busts into a star (Goff) and a serviceable starter (Trubisky).

Those accolades are well deserved, IMO.

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Same thoughts about McVay and Nagy.

Can they at least win a single playoff game before being anointed Coryell 2.0

You could make an argument that Nagy has completely followed in Andy Reid's footsteps by having a great regular season and then losing at home in the first round of the playoffs.  It doesn't go unnoticed that that game was lost in the third phase of the game as a 43-yard FG was blocked/missed.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Thank God for Arizona

Kingsbury was just about the last guy I wanted. 

McCarthy, Rhule, Gase, Monken...I’m cool with all of those guys. 

But I can’t recall the last time someone failed upwards like Kliff has.

LaFleur was just hired in GB.  Look at the rankings of the offense he ran in Tennessee. 

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Lolz all around

Okay, that is a little nutty

McVay coached under Mike Shannahan who coached under George Seifert who coached under Bill Walsh.

Andy Reid has a tree of his own right, but he coached under Holmgren who also coached under, you guessed it, Bill Walsh.

It shouldn't be surprising that people want to replicate what the Rams and Chiefs are doing.  Success has spilled down from the Walsh tree unlike any other coach in NFL history. 

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Me too.  I was living in San Diego during that time.  Late 90’s cell phones were just on the verge of becoming necessities.   A friend of mine worked for Qualcomm based in San Diego.   He begged me to buy Qualcomm stock, borrowed a bunch of money from my parents and boom.  

Lehigh is now getting some of that money....Lol

Smartest decision your kid ever made. ;) 

Know what's crazy?

Mike McCarthy coached for Marty Schottenheimer in KC.

Schottenheimer worked for John McVay (49ers VP/GM from 1980-1999).  This was from 1976-78, when McVay was an assistant coach (essentially the Defensive Coordinator) then interim HC, and then fully HC for the Giants.  He was HC until 1978.  Schottenheimer (who had arrived in 1975) was his Linebackers Coach in 1976, and then DC in 1977.

John McVay was Sean McVay's grandfather.  And thus, of course, Walsh was employed by McVay.

And around and around we go.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Kingsbury could turn out to be great, but it's a big risk.  Imagine entrusting the future of your franchise and the development of your golden egg rookie QB to ShortStubble McRay-bans. 

I would have....he was my #1 choice but not because McVay sent him a text a few years back about a chick he's trying to bang.

I like the idea of Kliff because even if he didnt develop a winner (he wouldnt be the 1st to fail in NY) he'd at least get the very best out of Darnold and set him up for a successful future in the league.  If he ended up being the real deal, even better! 

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He is right. Let them both win a playoff game before we knight them the all mighty

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

LaFleur was just hired in GB.  Look at the rankings of the offense he ran in Tennessee. 

I’d still take LaFleur over Kingsbury anyday.

At least LaFleur is a Shanahan disciple with over 10 years of NFL coaching experience. In addition to being incredibly inconsistent and injury prone, I think Mariota was just a bad fit for his offense.

Kingsbury I don’t get at all. I guess it’s because he looks like Ryan Gosling and has this “bright offensive mind” label. Because nothing about his track record suggests that he’ll be a successful NFL head coach. I guess we’ll see, though.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

McVay coached under Mike Shannahan who coached under George Seifert who coached under Bill Walsh.

Andy Reid has a tree of his own right, but he coached under Holmgren who also coached under, you guessed it, Bill Walsh.

It shouldn't be surprising that people want to replicate what the Rams and Chiefs are doing.  Success has spilled down from the Walsh tree unlike any other coach in NFL history. 

I still do not under stand why they wont even interview Mike Shanahan!!!

I truly believe that its because the Jets are concerned that he would want to much control.

No way anyone is going to convince me that the names that remain on the Jets list that Mike Shanahan is not head and shoulders above them.

Just a thought...

Would they trade Rosen and pick Haskins? I would if they feel Haskins is better. Either way anything to get Bosa at 3!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think what people miss, more than anything else, is the simple fact that "offensive guru" is not equal to "good head coach." In other words, there is probably more to Sean McVay than just being an offensive genius. He's also likely to be a good communicator, capable of managing a staff, etc. 

33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Obviously the owners hiring these young coaches are just cheapskates unwilling to fork over more money for the dozens of clearly better and more expensive options. :) 

But yeah I think KK in particular gotten a lot of mileage off being on the same team with players who were talented with or without him. He may end up being a truly great HC, but that's what it looks like at this juncture. Those defenses didn't seem to be so great. We'll see.

Developing a young QB (especially while we've got one such QB today) is ultra-important. But it isn't a sole goal in that everything else can be tossed out the window. Their D was atrocious. He's being hired for a HC position not just OC or even just QBC. There are fully-developed QBs playing for crappy teams all the time.

Regardless, I don't know details about him or others so hopefully we made the right decision to look elsewhere and end up with better. 

So to recap:

• 1976-77:  Marty Schottenheimer worked for John McVay (Sean's grandfather) with the Giants as LB Coach/DC
  • 1980-88:  John McVay presided over Bill Walsh (then later George Seifert) for the Niner dynasty.
  • 1992-94:  Mike Shanahan worked under Seifert as his OC
  • 1993-98:  Mike McCarthy worked under Schottenheimer in KC as Offensive Quality Control/QB Coach
  • 2010-13:  Sean McVay worked under Shanahan from 2010-13 as TE Coach

Thus, there are fairly close links between John McVay, Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Walsh, Mike Shanahan, Mike McCarthy, and Sean McVay.

Oh, and because of the Holmgren-McCarthy connection, you can throw Andy Reid into that mix too.

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I still do not under stand why they wont even interview Mike Shanahan!!!

I truly believe that its because the Jets are concerned that he would want to much control.

No way anyone is going to convince me that the names that remain on the Jets list that Mike Shanahan is not head and shoulders above them.

Has to be a 2-way street.  Do we even know if Shanahan wants to coach again after the Washington debacle?  He hasn't coached in 6 years.

Archived