Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not even against hiring Rhule really.  Its just laughable to think that McCarthy wanted personnel control, and Johnson balked because Macc is "his guy". 

F*** that.

Stop making crap up.  

9 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Rhule will cost more cuz buyout

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

numbers, pls.

He has none.  Baylor is private, and private schools are not subject to public records laws; thus they are not obligated to release contract information.

He was signed to a 7-year deal in 2016 so I imagine his buyout will indeed be expensive.  But that's of course a relative term. 

This site suggests he makes $3.5 million per season, which is the # 36-ranked salary in FBS:  https://www.coacheshotseat.com/CFBCoachesSalaries.htm

That would suggest he has about $17.5 million left on his contract with Baylor. 

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

and christian hackenberg ran a pro style offense as a true freshman under bill obrien.....I DONT CARE.....what does he bring into an NFL locker room in terms of credibility? NOTHING.

Credibility. Respect around the NFL. Things insecure Jets fans worry about. 

I worry about bringing in the best coach possible and not a guy that was carried by Aaron Rodgers for a decade and then Rodgers decided he had enough herniated discs from carrying him around all those years that he got him fired. In before Jordan Rodgers references.....

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO at blindly looking at the record and not the situations he inherited. 

They're AMATEURS.

The skills it takes to coach and rebuild a college program have absolutely nothing to do with being a successful pro HC. In your words, Rhule did a good job of turning around two college teams, but still maintained a losing record.  With AMATEURS. 

How is he going to enter into a pro locker room and sell the players on success?  That he turned around Temple?  They won't give a sh*t.  At least a winning college coach can pretend that he won a lot of games and can do it on the pro level.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not even against hiring Rhule really.  Its just laughable to think that McCarthy wanted personnel control, and Johnson balked because Macc is "his guy". 

F*** that.

You have no proof of that, but who cares since we all wanted McCarthy and are really really mad right now. 

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

On average, college coaches have been unmitigated failures in the NFL and all of them were winning coaches on the amateur level.

Rhule would join KK as the only to make the jump after having losing records in college.

So, yes, Rhule was helping turn Baylor around, but so what? That in no way translates to knowing how to be a HC on the pro level.  He also has no experience in developing QBs.

As to being a prototypical McCarthy supporter, I know that a coach with a PROVEN history of developing QBs is the single best thing for Darnold, the Jets single most important asset.  Instead, the Jets would take a risk on an unproven college coach who has no clue how to develop a pro QB?

At least with KK, there was the belief that he had an innovative offensive mind.  Rhule doesn't have that.  He's known as a "salesman" and has "disciplined, tough" teams.  Jets don't need that from a college HC.  They can get that from any pro coach.  What they need is someone to develop Darnold. 

This.  100% this.  This isnt outside the box, it's directly in the box of stupidity the Jets live in.

And how did he turn Baylor around?  They won 7 games before Rhule, went to a bowl game, etc.  He took over and they won 1 game!  1 game!!!!  That year, he lost to Liberty and UTSA Roadrunners.  I dont even know the **** the UTSA Roadrunners are.  Literally never heard of them.

I hate this team

19 minutes ago, SMC said:

His college HC record is 36-40.

BTW, the Wikipedia page was updated to delete the Jets information

Did you know he took over a Baylor team that was decimated due to having no scholarships because of NCAA infractions from the prior coach. He had to build that program from the ground up and his first year was terrible because he had no scholarship players. He went from 1-11 to 7-6 and winning a bowl game.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

They're AMATEURS.

The skills it takes to coach and rebuild a college program have absolutely nothing to do with being a successful pro HC. In your words, Rhule did a good job of turning around two college teams, but still maintained a losing record.  With AMATEURS. 

How is he going to enter into a pro locker room and sell the players on success?  That he turned around Temple?  They won't give a sh*t.  At least a winning college coach can pretend that he won a lot of games and can do it on the pro level.

Yeah, when the Rams brought in Jeff Fisher and his numerous playoff appearances and SB appearance to that Locker room things worked out great because that is all that matters. Right?

Just now, Greensleeves said:

Did you know he took over a Baylor team that was decimated due to having no scholarships because of NCAA infractions from the prior coach. He had to build that program from the ground up and his first year was terrible because he had no scholarship players. He went from 2-10 to 7-6 and winning a bowl game.

Don’t care

7 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Rhule will cost more cuz buyout

McCarthy will generate excitement for the Jets Franchise and the on-field football product. This will translate to more revenue: more fan and advertiser interest in the team, more butts in seats at games, and more merch sales in the lead up to the new season.

Just now, JiF said:

This.  100% this.  This isnt outside the box, it's directly in the box of stupidity the Jets live in.

And how did he turn Baylor around?  They won 7 games before Rhule, went to a bowl game, etc.  He took over and they won 1 game!  1 game!!!!  That year, he lost to Liberty and UTSA Roadrunners.  I dont even know the **** the UTSA Roadrunners are.  Literally never heard of them.

I hate this team

Superstar/god-like post right here....

3aTcQ2e.gif.9f886d7426364ae7418d87e5956b5f9e.gif

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

1. No one knows McCarthy wants control of personnel

2. No one knows Rhule's price is a 40% discount to McCarthy's

3. No one knows if discussions of OC/DC hires occurred with either candidate

No one knows anything...

We do know Rhule sucks

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Credibility. Respect around the NFL. Things insecure Jets fans worry about. 

I worry about bringing in the best coach possible and not a guy that was carried by Aaron Rodgers for a decade and then Rodgers decided he had enough herniated discs from carrying him around all those years that he got him fired. In before Jordan Rodgers references.....

typical too smart for his own good Jets fan...know very little...think even less. hopefully you are young enough where u can afford a few more cycles of sh*tty HC's before once every 50 years the jets actually hire a guy like Parcels who knows what its like to win games.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I hate this team

Again, try to know what you are talking about before posting. He took over from a team that lost all of it's scholarships due to NCAA infractions. He had no players the first year and no chance.

Just now, Vader said:

McCarthy will generate excitement for the Jets Franchise and the on-field football product. This will translate to more revenue: more fan and advertiser interest in the team, more butts in seats at games, and more merch sales in the lead up to the new season.

McCarthy is a no brainer.  Why ugh this farking clown Matt Drool he had one ok season at friggin Baylor?

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You have no proof of that, but who cares since we all wanted McCarthy and are really really mad right now. 

It's the only thing that makes sense. You think a guy like CJ with a losing franchise wouldn't jump at the chance to hire a guy with McCarthy's pedigree unless someone who has his ear and a claim to be an NFL guy is dissuading him? 

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You are the prototypical McCarthy supporter. 

First off, you want the old school guy that makes you feel good. 

Second,  you know nothing about the world outside the big name candidates. Ruhle was a failed college HC?

He turned temple into a back to back 10 win program. He left after those two 10 win years. That's failed?
He took over a disaster in Baylor. The program was in shambles. There was talk of the program shutting down. He didn't care. Stepped in and after a predictable mess in 2017 (1 win season) he took the team to a bowl game in 2018 where he beat an SEC team (a mediocre one, but still a solid SEC team). 

If you consider that a failure,  you know nothing about college football. 

Yeah. Thank God coaching small, relatively obscure NCAA programs is just like being an NFL Head Coach....

20190109_154940.thumb.jpg.3da65549968a6501de51ec94c8134bf1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think 2, 3, and 5 are valid question marks, but everyone was going to lose at Baylor regardless of who coached there given the circumstances. It’s technically true but pretty inconclusive as to saying how good of a coach he is on the field. 

He also has some coaching experience on both offense and defense, so that’s pretty rare for a resume. 

It’s a risk for sure. I’m not going to slam it because i don’t know enough about him to say whether he could handle the job. Just have to hope he’s the guy. 

Baylor could've been South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs and no one in the Jets locker room is going to give a damn that Rhule "turned them around."

What does Rhule tell the players to sell him on being the HC? It's not like he can develop a QB, or install an innovative NFL offense or good defense.

This tells me everything I need to know about this organization. This is a power struggle that Jets Brass don't want to give up. 

I knew nothing about Rhule before this interview process so I am not going to mock him. This is squarely on the Johnsons, Mac and Brian who obviously think they are the smartest people in the room (as well as the cheapest) and don't want to relinquish control to a proven coach. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, you mean the stuff that reporters are tweeting?  Every bit of it is fake news, right?  Only the stuff that makes the Jets look good is what you'll end up believing, right?

No.  You just sound ridiculous.

Just now, Philc1 said:

McCarthy is a no brainer.  Why ugh this farking clown Matt Drool he had one ok season at friggin Baylor?

it’s like a game of pick up and you can choose for your team Charles Oakley or your fat little brother 

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

They're AMATEURS.

I'm pretty sure new coaches don't go into a new situation and say "hey this is why you should like me" and then proceed to show them a power point of their successful events. All the players care about is winning and how he'll help them get better. 

Archived