BREAKING: Jets going to hire Gase

5 minutes ago, BleedGreen92 said:

If he didn’t come from Miami everyone would want the guy and say he needs a change of scenery what a joke 

It’s more of the bad attitude, poor results and siding with his “favorite” players over others then just coming from Miami. 

I don't like the hire. I was all in on McCarthy for the job. Gase who is an offensive minded coach which will help Darnold's development, also has an offensive attitude. He created disruptions down in Miami with players and ownership. Good luck acquiring free agents because of this. Why would the Jets brass hire a sideshow coach like that I'll never know.

3 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

This is nothing less than embarrassing, maybe everyone expected idiotic drivel.  Good thing they asked good, smart questions, because they made a bad, stupid decision in the end.

They asked good questions? So as I stated last week, Johnson Googled "Good questions to ask on an interview". The questions the interviewer ask pale in importance to how the interviewer interprets the answers. 

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

a breath of fresh air after 4 years of mumbling Bowles

Doesn’t exactly come across as head coach material in that clip.  More like how I imagine a high school coach to sound..(or HS kid, for that matter).

still..I’m open minded. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AbstraKt said:

Think the tough NY media and fans is mostly hype. But he is not a cuddly fellow, he's not a hale fellow well met like Ryan and he's not a very polite gentleman like Bowles. This kind of thing will be tabloid and radio gold. But a lot of great coaches can be less than warm and wonderful.If you win you can do that. 

The games passed him by. Notice nobody wants him. He sucks 

You decided the game passed him by? He was offered total control in Arizona and turned it down. Cleveland went with their in house candidate wanted by Mayfield. He would not of taken any other jobs except the Jets job cause they all sucked. He Sucks- Has a Super Bowl ring and high winning percentage. How many does gase have and what’s his winning percentage?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I know i posted a lot of pro McCarthy  stuff here but I was not loving him today. When a person pitches himself publically the way McCarthy  did today, there is something wrong. I think unknown to us McCarthy was told no thanks by a number of teams that were looking for a HC and McCarthy reacted by making a hard run at the team that didn't  say no, us. That was my first thought when he said he would only work for the Jets. 

That said, I'm not doing backflips over Gase but he checks two boxes for me:

HC experience 

Good with QB's. 

We could have done worse. I like him better than any of the college guys. 

Hoping for the best. 

Let's go Jets. 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This!

Imagine C Johnson and Mike Maccagnan sitting there thinking about how tough the PR will be, how they'll have to sell this to the fanbase, how they'll explain why they took the coach another division rival didn't want.

At the end, they must have been blown away and thought he's worth the PR pain.

The Jets aren't here to win popularity contests, they're here to win games.  They think Adam Gase is the guy to do it and they think he's better than stale old school guys like McCarthy and new age wonder kids like Kingsbury.

Let's get behind this.  Belichick did a little better in his second HC job than his first.

Go Jets!

That's all good if you have any belief or faith that either of them are capable of making the best kind of decisions for this team. And that their being blown away is anything good.

I'm actually kinda convinced that neither of them are in touch with being able to turn this around. Hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Eventually I'll prolly get to where you're at with this. But right now I think all Hope Of Sam is ruined.

That leadership group is from hunger it looks to me.

QB whisperer and Offense guru?

QBC for the Lions in 2007. Jon Kitna led the NFL in interceptions.

OC for the Broncos who already had Peyton Manning coming off a PB season under McCoy. For all the records the following season, Gase's offense had no answers for the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, scoring all of 8 meaningless points as the 3rd quarter expired. That season also represented the last Gase offense to finish in the top half in points or top 20 in yards.

Also as OC of the Broncos, and as a former QBC, he surely had a large hand in developing high 2nd round pick Osweiller. Full seasons of molding him on the sideline and practice and the film room, without pressure of being tossed to the wolves. Developed into nothing.

OC of the Bears. Took Trestman's #2 then #23 offense and turned it into...the #23 offense.

HC of Miami. Virtually no improvement for top 10 pick QB Tannehill. At least by the numbers, he was no better than he was under Philbin (or the interim HC and OC for the 12 games prior to Gase's hiring). Miami was about a 20ppg offense in his 3 seasons there. Meh.

Look, at least he isn't going to be a run-run-pass-punt type. He knows the value of passing the ball and not trying to get into the end zone only by first converting 6 first downs on the drive. But outside of a ready-made offense in Denver I'm not really seeing any great accomplishments here that we should get giddy about. No powerhouse offenses that he made from nothing. No QBs he molded from raw into polished. Really not much of anything.

This is the big splash we waited for? We all hope it's the right move, but until then the pessimism is not misguided. Most of the people happy with the hire were this happy or happier when we hired Todd Bowles and referred to him as a defensive genius 4 years ago. 

We'll see. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

“He (Gase) is very, very bright,” Martz, the former Rams head coach, told The Post last week. “He has terrific leadership. I think he’s mature beyond his years. I think he has a very engaging personality. I give him high marks in everything"

Who is this guy Martz? What a dink.