BREAKING: Jets going to hire Gase

It doesn’t even matter what McCarthy did in Green Bay because of Rodgers. he wouldn’t do it here. He would flame out in not even two years. A total has been we dodged a bullet

And oh by the way watch the NFC championship game that he pissed away in Seattle which is when he should’ve been fired. The guy is Eric Mangini but was lucky enough to have a better quarterback

Just now, BleedGreen92 said:

It doesn’t even matter what McCarthy did in Green Bay because of Rodgers. he wouldn’t do it here. He would flame out in not even two years. A total has been we dodged a bullet

I wanted McCarthy and disagree.  I do prefer Gase over Matt Drool and Todd Monkey 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

QB whisperer and Offense guru?

QBC for the Lions in 2007. Jon Kitna led the NFL in interceptions.

OC for the Broncos who already had Peyton Manning coming off a PB season under McCoy. For all the records the following season, Gase's offense had no answers for the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, scoring all of 8 meaningless points as the 3rd quarter expired. That season also represented the last Gase offense to finish in the top half in points or top 20 in yards.

Also as OC of the Broncos, and as a former QBC, he surely had a large hand in developing high 2nd round pick Osweiller. Full seasons of molding him on the sideline and practice and the film room, without pressure of being tossed to the wolves. Developed into nothing.

OC of the Bears. Took Trestman's #2 then #23 offense and turned it into...the #23 offense.

HC of Miami. Virtually no improvement for top 10 pick QB Tannehill. At least by the numbers, he was no better than he was under Philbin (or the interim HC and OC for the 12 games prior to Gase's hiring). Miami was about a 20ppg offense in his 3 seasons there. Meh.

Look, at least he isn't going to be a run-run-pass-punt type. He knows the value of passing the ball and not trying to get into the end zone only by first converting 6 first downs on the drive. But outside of a ready-made offense in Denver I'm not really seeing any great accomplishments here that we should get giddy about. No powerhouse offenses that he made from nothing. No QBs he molded from raw into polished. Really not much of anything.

This is the big splash we waited for? We all hope it's the right move, but until then the pessimism is not misguided. Most of the people happy with the hire were this happy or happier when we hired Todd Bowles and referred to him as a defensive genius 4 years ago. 

We'll see. 

Tanny, Brock, Kitna were all bad QB's. Blaming him for not developing these guys is like blaming Schotty for not developing Geno Smith. The only QB he had that was any good was Manning who had a career year under him throwing 55 TD's and 5477 yards. Peyton mostly choked in big games so losing the SB was not all on Gase. 

Just saying he isn't  all bad. Hopefully Sam has a uear like Manning  did. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm okay with the hire.  Not enthusiastic about it.  But I'm not buying a flamethrower and heading to Florham Park yet.  I'll give this some time.  Really want to see the intro press conference and hear about the staff being hired.  Those are the next two major events for this team.

Pretty much. I'm happy it's not Rhule, a little upset it's not McCarthy. Kinda wish it was Monken too but I've spent most of the past 24 hrs thinking Rhule was the guy and it sounds like it would've been had he let Mac pick his staff

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah I’m sure Mike McCarthy or Todd Monken Coach up Tannehill and Osweiler throwing to scrubs to an elite offense

So if not for that they would have had a top 10 offense?  You are what your record says you are.  2nd worst offense in the league last year and a losing record leading to his firing.  The Jets know more than every other team and just had to have him.  This effin team.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

So if not for that they would have had a top 10 offense?  You are what your record says you are.  2nd worst offense in the league last year and a losing record leading to his firing.  The Jets know more than every other team and just had to have him.  This effin team.

Well yeah it kinda matters who the qb and WRs are

They lost Landry, garbage at the qb position you were expecting the 1999 Rams?  

Btw Gase is like 5-1 against the jets and beat them twice last year

I was all in on McCarthy and am disappointed he's not the guy.  Gase is a very uninspiring choice IMO.  He falls right in the middle of the  hotshot coordinator with no HC experience and the older retread NFL coach that gets circulated around the league over and over.  Out of  the 3 apparent finalists for the job (McCarthy, Rhule, Gase), he was my second choice.  He's going to have to win me over.

• Upvote 2

Gase is going to be under a truckload of pressure from Day 1.

He will get no honeymoon period in New York.

The guy will start 2019 week 1 already on the hot seat with the fans at 0-0. I don't mind that, time for being patient is over.

Pros for me is he's an offensive hire. And if he has learnt from his first job like some HC's do, then he could be the answer with Darnold for a long time to come.

Cons, he's still being hired on potential rather than having won anything.

Next step is what staff he hires. They better keep Boyer and Greene.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

how does this even happen?

How do you prefer some RANDOM ASS college coach? You go to pick him, he disagrees on some things and then you let him walk? LIKE WTF? Who is running the ship here?

This is so ******* damning...this franchise gets worse by the second.

If Rhule was really your guy (no idea why he would be), how the F didn't they lock his ass up?

Disaster.

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Unless its indicative of how he gets along with everyone else too.  Right? 

I agree that’s a valid concern.  I was actually against hiring Gase because like Mangini I think players don’t like him

That said after McCarthy he was the best coach available who actually wanted to come here

• Upvote 1