BREAKING: Jets going to hire Gase

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Looks like the Rhule staff building concerns expressed by some of the JN posters was legit after all. It's interesting that Macc and Dinger have already assembled a staff?? 

Gang Green’s search took an interesting twist moments before word surfaced that Gase would be in the new guy in charge. Baylor’s Matt Rhule was eliminated after a discrepancy over staffing issues, according to sources. The Jets targeted the coveted program builder that breathed life into Temple and Baylor in recent years before he bailed after team decision makers balked at the idea of him bringing his own offensive coordinator.

Rhule did not want to assemble a staff assembled, in part, by general manager Mike Maccagnan and vice president of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger, according to sources.

That won't be the "case with Gase"  I think they were worried with Rhule being a neophyte in NFL circles, not having much offensive experience/savvy, {see his quotes/thoughts on offensive philosophy} and wanted to surround him with NFL caliber assistants. Looking for the best  of both worlds.  Youth and Vitality tempered with experience.  Didn't trust to leave him to his own devices.  Can you blame them?  I don't.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

What he fails to tell you is that Macc and Johnson told him this. Seriously. 

its also like their jobs to ask good smart questions. there is literally nothing special about a GM and owner doing that. it would be embarrassing if they hadn’t asked good smart questions. 

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

That won't be the "case with Gase"  I think they were worried with Rhule being a neophyte in NFL circles, not having much offensive experience/savvy, {see his quotes/thoughts on offensive philosophy} and wanted to surround him with NFL caliber assistants. Looking for the best  of both worlds.  Youth and Vitality tempered with experience.  Didn't trust to leave him to his own devices.  Can you blame them?  I don't.

so Adam can bring with him two coordinators who ranked as the worst?

Are you being intentionally dense. We blew it. Categorically blew it. 

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Icer said:

Mehta has to be a Johnson and Johnson plant at this point. Softening the fanbase's outcry at passing over McCarthy since Day 1 and shilling all the hot flavor of the week candidates (Campbell, Rhule)

Rhule was a nothing candidate with no NFL clout so I'm happy they at least went another way. Forcing an OC on him was the right move if they were seriously entertaining the idea.

10000%

19 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

It's not even the choice that drives me insane...

It's the PROCESS that drives me insane.

This franchise can't do sh*t right...

You mean interviews with all the candidates, involve Darnold, get a call from Manning, them hire him.

Ooo, they screwed that one up. 

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Rhule is a friggin joke.  Please

McCarthy I wanted he was my number one choice from day 1

That said I think it’s a good and bad thing Gase is an abrasive a$$hole.  After 4 years of Bowles be a weak empty suit I want a guy who is going to be a foot in the ass 

McCarthy was my favorite too.  I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure anyone we interviewed would have jumped at the job. Even KK met with us even already knowing the Cards were going to offer him the job. He came to see if we would hire him because it was the better option. 

Interestingly, it did end up that Rhule's inexperience with NFL caliber assistants was the issue with him. A lot of guys here had that concern. Sounded like Macc understood that and wanted to cherry pick some guys for him due to that. 

I want a tougher and more animated guy too but Gase has the rep of having the negative version of that skillset. I'm gonna root for him to succeed of course. I take no delight in the Jets sucking every year, but its hard to comprehend how they overlooked that when McCarthy was staring them in the face.  

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Xtina said:

They didn’t “lose” Landry, Gase got rid of him. 

How hard is it to beat the Bowles coached Jets? That’s a claim to fame? Unfortunately there are other teams in the league to play 

And the jets got rid of Wilk , Richardson - sometimes players are cancers in the lockeroom regardless of how talented they are.

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If they hired Rhule and he brought in all no name assistants , these same people here would be saying how could we let him do it. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Vader said:

the team and the johnsons needed a VP of football operations bad. that was the first hire they should have made.

instead, they maintained the dual, equal reporting structure to Johnson, and allowed Maccagnan to poison the well.

One person should have been making the decision. A VP of football. And he would report his findings to Johnson, and Johnson would sign off.

Christopher Johnson might know how to make baby powder but he doesn’t know football, and he doesn’t understand the Jets brand. Maccagnan is glorified scout. He also knows jack.

This is why I wanted Shanahan!!!

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Just think: Only 8 months to ago until the 2019 season led by Adam Gase. Super bowl, here we come.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Hey, We have the FA period beginning March 13th. Then the draft april 25th. 

That will help. It's when we find out just how much of an A hole Gase is considered by how many players refuse to come here. :( 

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If they hired Rhule and he brought in all no name assistants , these same people here would be saying how could we let him do it. 

It's funny. I just finished reading the entire thread on how much everyone hated Rhule. Then I clicked the board refresh and saw Gase was hired. It was almost idenical to the Rhule thread. In complete transparency, I am part of the sky is falling stuff in the Gase thread though. lol 

It was just whacky to come out of the one thread and into the mess in the other.  lol 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is the Guy that Ownership thought was good for representing the franchise... reminds me of the smooth Shanahan..... :) 

I have no problem with this video, Belichick does this every week. Just win Adam!

42 minutes ago, Vader said:

the team and the johnsons needed a VP of football operations bad. that was the first hire they should have made.

instead, they maintained the dual, equal reporting structure to Johnson, and allowed Maccagnan to poison the well.

One person should have been making the decision. A VP of football. And he would report his findings to Johnson, and Johnson would sign off.

Christopher Johnson might know how to make baby powder but he doesn’t know football, and he doesn’t understand the Jets brand. Maccagnan is glorified scout. He also knows jack.

Apparently baby powder has asbestos in it.   He can’t even do that right. 

:-)

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I have no problem with this video, Belichick does this every week. Just win Adam!

I hear what you are saying but for me Gase is not even the same league as Bellichick, 

And IMO being rude and nasty to others is not what makes BB great or what has caused his team to win.

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I hear what you are saying but for me Gase is not even the same league as Bellichick, 

And IMO being rude and nasty to others is not what makes BB great or what has caused his team to win.

Belichick wasn't in the same league as Belichick before he was .... Belichick.

He had a 36-44 record as head coach of CLE before he was hired as HC of NEP.

Am I excited? not really...but give the guy a shot.

• Upvote 1