BREAKING: Jets going to hire Gase

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Looks like the Rhule staff building concerns expressed by some of the JN posters was legit after all. It's interesting that Macc and Dinger have already assembled a staff?? 

Gang Green’s search took an interesting twist moments before word surfaced that Gase would be in the new guy in charge. Baylor’s Matt Rhule was eliminated after a discrepancy over staffing issues, according to sources. The Jets targeted the coveted program builder that breathed life into Temple and Baylor in recent years before he bailed after team decision makers balked at the idea of him bringing his own offensive coordinator.

Rhule did not want to assemble a staff assembled, in part, by general manager Mike Maccagnan and vice president of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger, according to sources.

Seems like the jets are still smarting over all the bad choices that bowles made.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

He beat us quite a bit.  Beat the Pats a hell of a lot more than we did.

This last year, his FO traded away his #1 player on offense and his #1 player on defense and then gave him Bryce Petty and Osweiler to back up Tannehill who missed the entire previous season.

Being barely better than Todd Bowles is not winning and nothing to be proud of.  He was 23 and 25.  Not exactly what I would call a winner.  Certainly not the type of guy you hire, especially coming from your own division.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Looks like the Rhule staff building concerns expressed by some of the JN posters was legit after all. It's interesting that Macc and Dinger have already assembled a staff?? 

Gang Green’s search took an interesting twist moments before word surfaced that Gase would be in the new guy in charge. Baylor’s Matt Rhule was eliminated after a discrepancy over staffing issues, according to sources. The Jets targeted the coveted program builder that breathed life into Temple and Baylor in recent years before he bailed after team decision makers balked at the idea of him bringing his own offensive coordinator.

Rhule did not want to assemble a staff assembled, in part, by general manager Mike Maccagnan and vice president of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger, according to sources.

You have got to be ******* kidding me. We missed out on a coach cause of ******* Mac? What has this dumbass done to have any sort of power in dictating coaching hires? Fire this whole team into the sun.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Rhule based on this alone should have been hired on the spot. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There weren't many options to begin with.  All had (or have) risks associated with them.  During an interview on Arizona Sports Radio today Kliff Kingsbury said he had no idea who the Def Coordinator will be for the Cardinals, he's relying on GM Steve Kiem and Steve's connections.

The other candidates that were hired by other other teams....Kitchens (never an option for the Jets), Vic Fangio (defenses, a billion years in the league and never hired as HC before), Kingsbury, LaFleur (not really on the Jets list, comes from the high-powered Titans offense :blink: ).

The ONLY regrets our fans should have is with what was left on the table....Rhule, McCarthy, Monken (who I was most interested in).  The fact is that those guys were either not wanted by the Jets (clearly McCarthy and Monken weren't offered jobs) or were going to stay in place (Rhule at Baylor).

This is nowhere near a home run hire.  But I will say this until I'm blue in the face....   Gase > Bowles.  Let's see what the staff looks like for Gase.

His press conference will be Must See TV!!!

I agree. I listened to an interview with Kingsbury today by Pat Kirwin on Sirius and Kliff was very forthcoming about needing to rely on his GM to guide him and teach him how to get a Staff and pick a defense etc etc. he sounded like a young stand up guy who is really really really green. I think he’s going to take some major lumps learning the ropes.

gase gives us a young offensive mind who isn’t going to have to learn on the fly. He checks a lot of boxes, who knows? But this hire makes sense.

Besides, the rumor is he stood in line behind Mcvay once at Starbucks.

8 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

This hire reaks of a compromise. Johnson wanted McCarthy and macc wanted Rhule. They compromised and hs ired this clown. How do you sell this to the fanbase?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They'll be a major press push - I'm sure they'll promise a lot access to reporters to write glowing reports about Gase.

May very well have been what was going on with Mehta and McCarthy.

1 minute ago, artemusclyde said:

You have got to be ******* kidding me. We missed out on a coach cause of ******* Mac? What has this dumbass done to have any sort of power in dictating coaching hires? Fire this whole team into the sun.

That article makes it sound that way doesn't it?  That's crazy to me. I wonder if Bates is still in the mix fo OC!  lol 

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Oh I get it..  this is where you make up something about me assuring everyone Gase would not be the pick. 

Or that Macc somehow did this to keep control despite the fact Gase was the ONLY known candidate to but heads over personnel decisions.

21 hours ago, Pac said:

He could have had any of the open jobs he wanted..  just because it wasn't publicly declared until now doesn't mean he didn't tell the other 7 teams no thanks.

Macc Man sold him. 

21 hours ago, Pac said:

That's the power move..  love it.

We got McCarthy worried by taking our time and being thorough.  Suffice to say the worries about Macc and CJ conducting the search have been greatly overstated.

Well friggin' done.

EABA5B0C-F8E3-4E23-BBEE-06303F7A5443.gif.2db720ff20159087be25b04bb66400c8.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This was a weird process from the beginning. There wasn't anyone the Jets interviewed who excited me. On paper, McCarthy seemed like the obvious choice at first, but what the heck happened there? Could his interview have been that bad? I go insane when some people here come up with their conspiracy theories about CJ not wanting to pay, or Macc watching his back, but I'd love to know what really happened with MM. We didn't want him, and the Browns decided not even to take an interview. I'm wondering if there's something about him that hasn't come out yet? Oh well, Gase it is, and unlike the clamoring mob, I'll have to support him the way I have any other hire the Jets have made. I've put too much into this to ever turn my back. Still hoping to be there for the good times, LOL.

Yeah something happened. It seemed like the McCarthy interview went well but maybe that was false.  I’m just hoping Gase needed a change of scenery and getting a talented you QB like Sam will bring out the best.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They'll be a major press push - I'm sure they'll promise a lot access to reporters to write glowing reports about Gase.

May very well have been what was going on with Mehta and McCarthy.

Mehta seems like he has a lot of power. First Marrone now McCarthy.  It’s really weird lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Wouldn't Rhule have been cheaper?  Wouldn't a non-former HC have been cheaper?

Rhule has a buy out

lmao. 

Gase is better than some of the other options, other than the optics of him being Miami cast off

1 minute ago, prime21 said:
hThPiv4E_bigger.jpg

It was an exhaustive process that included countless discussions, but I’m told Jets CEO Christopher Johnson took a phone call on Tuesday night from an especially impressive reference who advocated for Adam Gase:

Peyton Manning.

Peyton has advocated for Gase his entire career. Unless Peyton is signing on to be the OC, I dont care. Does McCown stay as QB coach?

1 minute ago, prime21 said:
hThPiv4E_bigger.jpg

It was an exhaustive process that included countless discussions, but I’m told Jets CEO Christopher Johnson took a phone call on Tuesday night from an especially impressive reference who advocated for Adam Gase:

Peyton Manning.

Well maybe Peyton can come over and be our OC.