Defensive Coordinator

BCJet

50 minutes ago, Dolphins81 said:

Gasy had full control over who the coaches were in Miami and the final say on players.  Just think about that.  Good luck, but he is a weak coach.  He should have gone to coach powderpuff 

I think I’ll enjoy watching Gase beat your team next season

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Is V. Joseph official?

saw it somewhere 

No, he’s still in the running for the Bengal HC job.  It is just someone’s speculation based on the fact that Joseph was defensive coordinator under Gase in 2016.

Vance Joseph’s scheme is predicated on turnovers and aggressive play in the secondary including having a safety play close to the line, which would fit well here. 

He also has experience running both a 3-4 and 4-3 scheme and most importantly has HC experience that could help Gase with some of his “attitude” issues.  Personally I like the hire quite a bit if he’s the guy. 

Here’s an article from when Denver hired him detailing his schematic experience  

http://www.bsndenver.com/broncos-film-room-what-to-expect-from-a-vance-joseph-inspired-defense/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolphins81 said:

Gasy had full control over who the coaches were in Miami and the final say on players.  Just think about that.  Good luck, but he is a weak coach.  He should have gone to coach powderpuff 

Relax Sam Darnold is Matt Moore if Matt Moore actually knew how to play football at an NFL (except vs the Jets, and when coached by Gase), I HATE the hire if they were just gonna go controversial **** it go big, or go home, and just should have signed KK, and bring in 2 Coordinators with previous HC experience.

The one positive (I think not sure because I have not fact checked it) is I believe Gase runs a similar version of the Morton/Bates/Kubiak/Shannahan/Shannahan/McVay/anyone who once saw McVay in the Airport, and can prove they politely exchanged passing pleasantries 😂.  I’m pretty sure they all run VERY similar verbiage, all understand what the foundation of the system is (even if the GM for some reason does not agree, well at least when it comes draft time) to make it still a extremely effective point scoring machine, and that’s having 5 starting BiG, BAD, DIRTY, PHYSICAL, SMART, TOUGH FEARED MF’S with a QB they trust, believe in, protect him before, and most importantly after the whistle, and MOST IMPORTANTLY non physical wise break every huddle, rush to the line on every hurry up situations, or planned designed hurry up drives believing that IF they do their jobs/assignments individually, and collectively as a unit that they are gonna dominate the opposing defense at will because of that belief, that all so important belief the one true belief that is even more powerful then the team (offensively wise in this case) buying in to what the coach is selling, and that’s the belief that your QB will find a way to have more points on the board then the opposing team when the clock hits 0:00 at the end of the game.

Well after my rant derailed my point about Gase running the Shannahan WC system obviously like all the Shannahan decipels (for some odd reason besides Kubiak the Shannahan coaching tree are a bunch of guys who all seem to be under 40 guys who grew up playing Madde.  Atleast I hope, because **** what you say about Madden most of those negative things are very true, but the one thing a kid who grew up playing Madden knows if he was any good, and has average never mind any real NFL football intelligence knows how to properly manage Time Outs, and the clock at the end of halves, and games), and speaking of Kubiak Why the **** was he not considered for the OC job, I’ll answer my own question, Gase wants to run his O, and call his plays, and Kubiak just wants to be a play caller it seems, nothing else, or the Broncos have him as the HC, and someone like Fangio as DC not the opposite way around, and this would have been same situation Kubiak under Gase instead of Gase under Kubiak, and I’m sure the whole Broncos Elway thing is a huge deal, and Kubiak will probably get to hand pick his starting QB for this year via FA, or via draft though Darnold has to be a more enticing situation IMO, but whatever to me it seems the Broncos did it right this time getting the bad ass DC HC everyone respects, and is readjusting modern D to match modern O all while hiring probably the best OC/play caller at this current point of the available coaches willing to take an OC job, sure their may be a few up, and coming great play callers a team could hire that is currently in a lesser role with another team, but that’s just to unpredictable, though again Gase will not want Kubiak messing with his play calling/game planning/Play design.  Though as much as I hate to say this because I’m not a fan of forcing things on coaches especially HC’s is something they don’t want, and didn’t have a say, BUT for Gase to succeed here he HAS to bring in an even younger more innovative offensive thinker to design him new modern day play designs off of Gase’s formations, and offensive concepts, maybe someone like DeFillipo who while we all just witnessed him fail as a play caller he has succeeded as a QB coach/passing game coordinator (drawing up plays to get open free running receivers) he just either is a bad play caller, or maybe him, and Cousins didn’t see eye to eye, either way he wouldn’t be a great add to the staff as QB Coach IMO, AND I’d also force him to put a full court press on the Taylor brothers to come in as Co OC’s, and Gase swallows his OC play design/play calling pride, and the 4 of them (well 5 if you include Darnold which they should) put their heads together, and come up with a innovative Rams/Chiefs/Saints/Patriots/49ers/Eagles/Bears/Shurmer Giants love his offense, actually think it does better with a more athletic accurate half popcorn arm then a statue with a good arm, and smarts, vision, and experience/Whatever Koeter, and the TB OC had going on/and most importantly bring in 2 top level successful offensive consultants one being a former open minded older offensive coach who coached in the league for a very long time, the 2nd should be a guy like the Chiefs brought in the old HC from Nevada to work along side I think Childress to infuse Reid’s offense with new confusing spread concepts, and ways to spread the D to scheme your best play makers to get the ball in space with blockers consistently (this would entail Macc getting playmakers this offseason), so the most important thing is Gase needs to change his approach, check his offensive ego at the door, design a O philosophy with his outline, and blueprint, but with 4 other guys to have semi weekly meetings Tuesday, and Friday mornings (first game plan install, then Friday the final tweaks before last walk through of final game plan) with the freedom to bring plays/formations/schemes that get viewed by everyone including Gase with a 100% open mind about what gives the team the best chance to win that week instead of stubbornly keeping the getting old, and stale offense he ran last year.

Also at the very least get Vance Joseph as DC, not my first choice heck not top 10, but 9 of the 10 have jobs, and I doubt Greg Williams comes here just not the Jets luck for that to happen.

Also Williams runs a 4-3 D (I so want a 4-3 D back it opens up so many more options to find suitable edge rushers IMO, and FA also favors 4-3 DE’s IMO, but we all know at the end of the day Vance Joseph, and Gase relationship will win out here along with the 3-4 scheme that I’m sure the Jets think they have a foundation to more so then the 4-3 which without any edge rushers, and only 1-2 good LB’s you don’t have a foundation to up front for ANY defensive scheme front, smarten up look at this from outside the box, screw the good old boys club giving Gase what he wants IF the Jets higher brass believe in Williams more (I know I do).  In the end at the very least they both have HC experience, and is a monumental upgrade over Bowles, and Rodgers calling the D.

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

We don't know ANYTHING about Rhule's assistance, only that he didn't want Mac's dick in his pocket deciding who he was going to strapped to. 

No we know that he couldnt come up with an OC that CJ, Macc and Heimerdinger trusted enough to work with and continue developing Sam.  He wouldnt, Ruhls consideration was off. 

Doesnt matter once youve fallen in love with the brash young college HC from mighty Baylor coming in and taking the NFL by storm

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Why?  Does Mehta not approve of Joseph?

I didn't like Joseph at first but that was mostly ignorance on my part. Didn't really do much research and only really knew him for being the guy that flamed out in Denver quickly. Having said that I'd actually be ok with the hire. went 10-6 with Miami when he was with Gase and the players loved the guy.

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

We don't know ANYTHING about Rhule's assistance, only that he didn't want Mac's dick in his pocket deciding who he was going to strapped to. 

His ability to bring in good staff was indeed an important issue to consider.  Please don't pretend that it wasn't.  

Personally, I didn't want a 1st time NFL coach yet again.  20+ years of it is enoughfor a while, don't you think?  And if we did hire one, I wanted one with more NFL experience that a single season of coaching a terrible OL for the Giants.  Sorry... but that's just not enough capital to justify rolling the dice on this guy when it is critical that Darnold be developed.  No guaranty that Rhule could bring in someone who would assuredly do just that.  Rhule is a leader, a motivator, highly engaging speaker... he checks many excellent boxes.. but at this point in time he is NOT ready for NFL and certainly not the right choice for the NY Jets with Darnold.  With regard to Rhule's excellent leadership skills at Temple and Baylor... you gotta love that, but just think for a minute how that might not translate to the NFL.  He would not be dealing with 17-21 year old kids.  He will be dealing with players with huge egos, me-first diva personalities and attitudes, narcissists...  motivating a raw, impressionabnle 18 year old is not the same as dealing with a me-first Trumaine Johnson.   Rhule was just way too much risk at this point in time.  

He will be a good candidate down the road.  He should do another couple of years at Baylor (and hopefully win) and then move to the NFL in some capacity headed towards future HC potential.  But not in 2019.

24 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Also Williams runs a 4-3 D (I so want a 4-3 D back it opens up so many more options to find suitable edge rushers IMO, and FA also favors 4-3 DE’s IMO, but we all know at the end of the day Vance Joseph, and Gase relationship will win out here along with the 3-4 scheme that I’m sure the Jets think they have a foundation to more so then the 4-3 which without any edge rushers, and only 1-2 good LB’s you don’t have a foundation to up front for ANY defensive scheme front, smarten up look at this from outside the box, screw the good old boys club giving Gase what he wants IF the Jets higher brass believe in Williams more (I know I do).  In the end at the very least they both have HC experience, and is a monumental upgrade over Bowles, and Rodgers calling the D.

What in the world do you do with peewee Lee in a 4-3?  OLB?  He would be the little peg that doesn't fit in any hole.  I do think 4-3 would be much better for Leo at DT.  

25 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Relax Sam Darnold is Matt Moore if Matt Moore actually knew how to play football at an NFL (except vs the Jets, and when coached by Gase), I HATE the hire if they were just gonna go controversial **** it go big, or go home, and just should have signed KK, and bring in 2 Coordinators with previous HC experience.

The one positive (I think not sure because I have not fact checked it) is I believe Gase runs a similar version of the Morton/Bates/Kubiak/Shannahan/Shannahan/McVay/anyone who once saw McVay in the Airport, and can prove they politely exchanged passing pleasantries 😂.  I’m pretty sure they all run VERY similar verbiage, all understand what the foundation of the system is (even if the GM for some reason does not agree, well at least when it comes draft time) to make it still a extremely effective point scoring machine, and that’s having 5 starting BiG, BAD, DIRTY, PHYSICAL, SMART, TOUGH FEARED MF’S with a QB they trust, believe in, protect him before, and most importantly after the whistle, and MOST IMPORTANTLY non physical wise break every huddle, rush to the line on every hurry up situations, or planned designed hurry up drives believing that IF they do their jobs/assignments individually, and collectively as a unit that they are gonna dominate the opposing defense at will because of that belief, that all so important belief the one true belief that is even more powerful then the team (offensively wise in this case) buying in to what the coach is selling, and that’s the belief that your QB will find a way to have more points on the board then the opposing team when the clock hits 0:00 at the end of the game.

Well after my rant derailed my point about Gase running the Shannahan WC system obviously like all the Shannahan decipels (for some odd reason besides Kubiak the Shannahan coaching tree are a bunch of guys who all seem to be under 40 guys who grew up playing Madde.  Atleast I hope, because **** what you say about Madden most of those negative things are very true, but the one thing a kid who grew up playing Madden knows if he was any good, and has average never mind any real NFL football intelligence knows how to properly manage Time Outs, and the clock at the end of halves, and games), and speaking of Kubiak Why the **** was he not considered for the OC job, I’ll answer my own question, Gase wants to run his O, and call his plays, and Kubiak just wants to be a play caller it seems, nothing else, or the Broncos have him as the HC, and someone like Fangio as DC not the opposite way around, and this would have been same situation Kubiak under Gase instead of Gase under Kubiak, and I’m sure the whole Broncos Elway thing is a huge deal, and Kubiak will probably get to hand pick his starting QB for this year via FA, or via draft though Darnold has to be a more enticing situation IMO, but whatever to me it seems the Broncos did it right this time getting the bad ass DC HC everyone respects, and is readjusting modern D to match modern O all while hiring probably the best OC/play caller at this current point of the available coaches willing to take an OC job, sure their may be a few up, and coming great play callers a team could hire that is currently in a lesser role with another team, but that’s just to unpredictable, though again Gase will not want Kubiak messing with his play calling/game planning/Play design.  Though as much as I hate to say this because I’m not a fan of forcing things on coaches especially HC’s is something they don’t want, and didn’t have a say, BUT for Gase to succeed here he HAS to bring in an even younger more innovative offensive thinker to design him new modern day play designs off of Gase’s formations, and offensive concepts, maybe someone like DeFillipo who while we all just witnessed him fail as a play caller he has succeeded as a QB coach/passing game coordinator (drawing up plays to get open free running receivers) he just either is a bad play caller, or maybe him, and Cousins didn’t see eye to eye, either way he wouldn’t be a great add to the staff as QB Coach IMO, AND I’d also force him to put a full court press on the Taylor brothers to come in as Co OC’s, and Gase swallows his OC play design/play calling pride, and the 4 of them (well 5 if you include Darnold which they should) put their heads together, and come up with a innovative Rams/Chiefs/Saints/Patriots/49ers/Eagles/Bears/Shurmer Giants love his offense, actually think it does better with a more athletic accurate half popcorn arm then a statue with a good arm, and smarts, vision, and experience/Whatever Koeter, and the TB OC had going on/and most importantly bring in 2 top level successful offensive consultants one being a former open minded older offensive coach who coached in the league for a very long time, the 2nd should be a guy like the Chiefs brought in the old HC from Nevada to work along side I think Childress to infuse Reid’s offense with new confusing spread concepts, and ways to spread the D to scheme your best play makers to get the ball in space with blockers consistently (this would entail Macc getting playmakers this offseason), so the most important thing is Gase needs to change his approach, check his offensive ego at the door, design a O philosophy with his outline, and blueprint, but with 4 other guys to have semi weekly meetings Tuesday, and Friday mornings (first game plan install, then Friday the final tweaks before last walk through of final game plan) with the freedom to bring plays/formations/schemes that get viewed by everyone including Gase with a 100% open mind about what gives the team the best chance to win that week instead of stubbornly keeping the getting old, and stale offense he ran last year.

Also at the very least get Vance Joseph as DC, not my first choice heck not top 10, but 9 of the 10 have jobs, and I doubt Greg Williams comes here just not the Jets luck for that to happen.

Image result for post is too long to read meme

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I didn't like Joseph at first but that was mostly ignorance on my part. Didn't really do much research and only really knew him for being the guy that flamed out in Denver quickly. Having said that I'd actually be ok with the hire. went 10-6 with Miami when he was with Gase and the players loved the guy.

I am absolutely fine with Williams or Joseph.  

HC Gase (done deal)

Assistant HC/Offensive Quality Coach John DeFilippo

OC Zac Taylor

CO OC/QB Coach Press Taylor

DC Gregg Williams, will settle for V Joseph

This really all comes down to Gase learning from his Miami job, Darnold being better then Tannehill, building an O-Line, AND the one thing I was going to say earlier in my rant about Gase O being successful it also MUST have either a bell cow back, and a great receiving RB, OR like most successful Shannahan spin off offenses they are at there ABSOLUTE best with a every down back see Todd Gurley, unless you have 2 great backs see Ingram, and Kamara, or Coleman, and Freeman.  So the Jets could go the Bell route, or the Tevin Coleman/Frank Gore, or more preferably Mark Ingram (Coleman multi year, Gore, and Ingram only on 1 year deals, or go get Blunt, or someone like that who always falls forward, and moves pile north, and south.  Maybe Eli McGuire sticks, and Cannon gets another shot at specials, but I see a complete backfield overhaul by the end of Camp, another notch in the old Macc I suck at drafting belt including first round picks higher then 3rd overall (I like Adams the player, heck like Leo the player so zero beef with them personally, this is just about Macc drafting mid to late 1st rounders that are awesome pieces around other talented players, but just not game changing players which you need to hit on at #6 overall, and let’s not get into the Maye, Hanson, Stewart picks over guys like Kamara, Mixon, Ju Ju, Golloday, Goodwin, M Mack, D Cook, C Cupp, and Kittle.  Now obviously can’t draft all, and it’s hindsight, BUT the guys he drafted outside the 1st round that year yes just 1 draft ago instead are either out of the league, always hurt, practice squad, and with a new coaching staff Leggett and McQuire better watch their asses.

Williams 4-3 D

Sign Clowney (Would love Lawrence from Dallas but doubt he gets away)

Sign Barr to play OLB opposite Lee with Williamson in the Middle.

Clowney

N Shepherd 

Leo Williams

Bosa/Allen (Feel he falls to 3 the same reason why his brother did 2 teams trade up to 1, and 2 for QB’s both Arizona, and I think Oakland are good there, if no trade Gruden bat sh*t, Cards have pass rushers, at worst, or by April it might be considered at best Josh Allen at 3).

I’d resign Mo Claiborne again, but that’s gonna be on G Williams, or Joseph, like it, or not Tru is here, and yes he is over paid, but he makes just as many big plays as he gives up it’s just tough because the big plays he gives up are mental, or effort the talent is there to not give those up.  Gotta give Parry Nickerson a shot at nickel, and Roberts if returning isn’t terrible.  Then Maye, Adams, and Middleton, or if they decide to go another direction with either, or both Maye, and Middleton.

Either was a player blue print with either of those DC’s specifically Williams can be our version of the 09-10 defenses minus Revis, but much more talent/speed at LB, and S.

38 minutes ago, Dcat said:

What in the world do you do with peewee Lee in a 4-3?  OLB?  He would be the little peg that doesn't fit in any hole.  I do think 4-3 would be much better for Leo at DT.  

Pray to the football gods Darron Lee at 4-3 OLB can play half as good as Derrick Brooks, and that would be fine for now, worry about it after this year should it not work out, but Williams has a way of getting the best out of players like Lee.

• Upvote 1