Defensive Coordinator

BCJet

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No we know that he couldnt come up with an OC that CJ, Macc and Heimerdinger trusted enough to work with and continue developing Sam.  He wouldnt, Ruhls consideration was off. 

Doesnt matter once youve fallen in love with the brash young college HC from mighty Baylor coming in and taking the NFL by storm

57 minutes ago, Dcat said:

His ability to bring in good staff was indeed an important issue to consider.  Please don't pretend that it wasn't.  

Personally, I didn't want a 1st time NFL coach yet again.  20+ years of it is enoughfor a while, don't you think?  And if we did hire one, I wanted one with more NFL experience that a single season of coaching a terrible OL for the Giants.  Sorry... but that's just not enough capital to justify rolling the dice on this guy when it is critical that Darnold be developed.  No guaranty that Rhule could bring in someone who would assuredly do just that.  Rhule is a leader, a motivator, highly engaging speaker... he checks many excellent boxes.. but at this point in time he is NOT ready for NFL and certainly not the right choice for the NY Jets with Darnold.  With regard to Rhule's excellent leadership skills at Temple and Baylor... you gotta love that, but just think for a minute how that might not translate to the NFL.  He would not be dealing with 17-21 year old kids.  He will be dealing with players with huge egos, me-first diva personalities and attitudes, narcissists...  motivating a raw, impressionabnle 18 year old is not the same as dealing with a me-first Trumaine Johnson.   Rhule was just way too much risk at this point in time.  

He will be a good candidate down the road.  He should do another couple of years at Baylor (and hopefully win) and then move to the NFL in some capacity headed towards future HC potential.  But not in 2019.

I'm not disputing any of this -- other than a lot of the meat and potatoes of your argument is subjective opinion/taste. It's not like he doesn't have head coaching experience. 

I have no problem with Gase the OC... The HC? I dunno... willing to put my best foot forward and see, but lets *as you put it* not pretend like the guy didn't fcked up another locker room. Leadership should be above that. Hear anyone complaining out of Reids or Petersons? Even in Reid's twilight in PHI, there was no locker room drama like Gase's...

We'll see. 

My point was simply; it's ironic that you like a guy because he's known for turning around programs and building teams -- then tell him but we don't trust you can do it your way... wtf? I get it, a perfect world, he would have had some name power at OC/DC - and who knows how that would have played out. 

I think we lost a future cornerstone at HC... .future being key word. We'll see how this all shakes out.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jackhuntr said:

The anti- bowles/rodgers

I can't see how this crap flies with millennials. Maybe football being macho culture makes it ok but the change in office culture away from anger and yelling over the past 20 years has been drastic. 

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm not disputing any of this -- other than a lot of the meat and potatoes of your argument is subjective opinion/taste. It's not like he doesn't have head coaching experience. 

I have no problem with Gase the OC... The HC? I dunno... willing to put my best foot forward and see, but lets *as you put it* not pretend like the guy didn't fcked up another locker room. Leadership should be above that. Hear anyone complaining out of Reids or Petersons? Even in Reid's twilight in PHI, there was no locker room drama like Gase's...

We'll see. 

My point was simply; it's ironic that you like a guy because he's known for turning around programs and building teams -- then tell him but we don't trust you can do it your way... wtf? I get it, a perfect world, he would have had some name power at OC/DC - and who knows how that would have played out. 

I think we lost a future cornerstone at HC... .future being key word. We'll see how this all shakes out.  

Getting Greg Williams as DC will give this Gase offensive mind/Sam Darnold developer a fighting chance to succeed IF Gase checks ego, and picks Williams brain about running the WHOLE team well except his D because Williams would beat him to death with his own arm if he tried to mess with it lol.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Getting Greg Williams as DC will give this Gase offensive mind/Sam Darnold developer a fighting chance to succeed IF Gase checks ego, and picks Williams brain about running the WHOLE team well except his D because Williams would beat him to death with his own arm if he tried to mess with it lol.

My choice would be Williams as well. If we're going to have a headstrong loud and brash coaching staff -- may as well go full Warlord across the board.

15 hours ago, Dolphins81 said:

Gasy only hires yes men and his friends.  He was setting on the bench during the Phins vs Vikings and he was doing nothing.  There is a video clip of him pretending to write lol.  This guy has never had a top 20 offense.  You can’t count the time in Denver, that was all Manning. Gasy was Manning’s coffee boy in Denver. 

So you can't count McCarty in GB , that was all Favre/Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

What in the world do you do with peewee Lee in a 4-3?  OLB?  He would be the little peg that doesn't fit in any hole.  I do think 4-3 would be much better for Leo at DT.  

He gets more protection from the Dline in a 4-3 , he's better suited for a 4-3 as an OLB.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

What in the world do you do with peewee Lee in a 4-3?  OLB?  He would be the little peg that doesn't fit in any hole.  I do think 4-3 would be much better for Leo at DT.  

Lee would definitely be the Weak Side OLB (WILL). He’s not too small for that. He could also play SAM if he can learn to shed blocks and develop into a pass rusher to pressure the TE.

Jenkins would be an ideal SAM but he’s also a load, and would get eaten alive by TEs in the passing game without remedial safety help

The whole, in the end i did not want a coach with no experience stuff is fine and dandy.  so why then did we not chose the obvious experienced choice in mccarthy rather than a total fail in gase.  It was touted that thus guy was going to take Tannehill to the next level, that is why he was hired for the fish.

Tannehill and the offense stunk.  Gase got fired. 

This whole thing smacks of the ceo being star struck buy a phone call from peyton manning who promptly goes back to selling stuff on tv.

If this team wanted an experienced coach then get the guy with an actual resume.

As for the DC?  Williams all day long.  Some of our players won't like it much though and will start bleating on twitter.

Archived