The Adam Gase Positivity Thread

Grandy

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Manning had his best season under Gase and credits him

Cutler has his best year under Gase and credits him

Tannehill had his best year, a 4K plus 2-1 TD to INT year, under Gase.

He contended with Nat Moore and Osweiler.

Its what hes known for.

Thats all I got

From what I heard, Manning thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I think as a fanbase we have to give him a chance and see what he can do for Sam.  I am optimistic about the hire even though I was not expecting it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

As Jets fans we wanted a HC who:

1. Had prior NFL HC experience

2. Was from the Offensive side of the ball

3. Was going into his 2nd HC gig

4. Had some kind of history with QBs

5.  Was a disciplinarian.

6.  Wasnt a dead fish like Bowles, shows emotion

After interviews it was whittled down to McCarthy, Gase, Kingsbury & Monken.  Who checks off the most boxes?

Why are some ready to slit their wrists?  Over something based solely on who you like, with any proof who is better for the job

McCarthy was my number 1 choice but clearly Gase was the second best HC available who actually wanted to come here

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

From what I heard, Manning thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I think as a fanbase we have to give him a chance and see what he can do for Sam.  I am optimistic about the hire even though I was not expecting it.

For all the Mangini-lovers on this site Gase is actually very similar.  I’d argue he’s better 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

To me?  No, not much tbqh.  Talk is exceedingly cheap. 

I don't image it, and I'm amazed you've forgotten it.  Manning has always hated the Jets.  When did Peyton Manning become some friend of the Organization?  I must have missed it.....

100% correct.

We're not arguing, we're discussing and performing analysis and projection.  Theorizing.  Coming to conclusions based on our own knowledge and experience and seeing how those outcomes compare to others doing the same.  It's not like we're all here fistfighting afterall, lol. 

More logical than some, less than others, IMO.  But as above, we may reach different conclusions based on our individual analysis of the variables.

I was strongly in support of hiring McCarthy as the Head Coach and Williams as DC.  I believed (and still do) that McCarthy was "clearly" a better choice.  And Williams THE best choice for DC.

"Clearly" Macc and the Jets Ownership disagrees, lol.

Talk is cheap and what people think of him is meaningless?  Then what the purpose of this?  As I said to someone else, you go for a job interview.  Dont they ask for references?  And you have to admit, theres cheap talk and theres an all time great, multiple SB winning lock HOF QB calling you to sell him reference.  All references don't carry the same weight.

Manning has never hated the Jets anymore than a player hates an opponent.  What does not being a friend of the organization have to do with it?  We were opponents in the sam division for years.  Hes never hated the Jets other than wanting to beat them, he and his father wanted him to be a Jet.  

I agree, sports and the debates it brings about arent arguments.  And mostly theyre based on opinions. Its why I'm amazed at the vim some have in their theories of who will fail and who would have succeeded as the next HC.  

As for my choice, I was leaning towards McCarthy, thought he was the safest bet and after the run we've been on wanted the safest guy.  I did worry about some of his red flags.  Why did Rodgers want him out, why didn't mgt stick with him, why did the fans hate him so much, was Rodgers right in his belief that he was to safe in his play calling and is he really as thin skinned as some said.  Also, its been widely reported how McCarthy wasnt sure about moving to the east coast, might feel burnt out and wanted a year off.  One report out of NY was that McCarthy came off or might have come off as only partly into it and didnt want the job enough.  We did hear from Vacciano that McCarthy was coming around to the Jets, so.  Gase they said was gung ho and went for it, wanted the job over the others.  

I agree with you on Williams as the DC.  If it makes you feel better, Schefter is saying that WIlliams is being considered for the job.  Others have it as WIlliams, Pagano or Joseph.  I really don't mind any of them.  Dont know who the reported OC is, though they were talking him up on ESPN this morning saying hes a good development guy, who knows, I figure Gase is the quasi OC anyway.  Other than ST and WR coach, I dont know whos worth keeping from the Bowles staff.  And as much as our STs improved, the Dolphin STs always seemed to be really good so if he has a guy he wants from the staff, I get it

• Upvote 1

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

Peyton Manning spent 18 years in the NFL, rewriting the NFL record book and winning two Super Bowls along the way. And a few years before Manning arrived in the league, John Elway did the same thing on his way to the Hall of Fame.

Those are two of the greatest quarterbacks who ever lived, and combined they may know more about the position and offensive football than any two people in history.

Manning once called new Jets coach Adam Gase "the smartest guy I know."

Elway once called Gase a "genius."

And when those two old quarterbacks talk about a coach like that, everyone else should listen.

The Jets obviously did, and that's the bottom line on why they hired the 40-year-old Gase to be the 19th coach in their franchise history. They are hoping some of that genius will rub off on Sam Darnold, their 21-year-old franchise quarterback.

That's what this whole search was about - finding a guru who could guide Darnold through his formative years and get the most out of him as quickly as possible. Manning felt so strongly about Gase's ability to do so that he made a personal plea to Jets CEO Christopher Johnson in a phone call, a source confirmed.

In fact, the best season of Manning's storied career came with Gase as his offensive coordinator in Denver, even though Manning was 37 and still coming back from multiple neck surgeries at the time.

Sure, maybe a lot of coaches could've succeeded with Manning, even at that stage of his career. But Gase has also had success with Jay Cutler and Tim Tebow. And he even squeezed production out of Brock Osweiler and journeyman Matt Moore.

"Other than Peyton he hasn't had much to work with, but look at what he's gotten out of some of these guys," said one NFC executive. "He's great with quarterbacks. They love him. He gets things out of them that few others could."

It's true that most of Gase's quarterback proteges have been flawed. Yet he squeezed just enough out of Tebow as his quarterbacks coach in Denver in 2011 to help the Broncos to the second round of the playoffs. In 2015, as the Bears offensive coordinator, he helped Cutler cut way down on his turnovers (only 11 interceptions) and record the highest passer rating of his career (92.3).

He also got just enough wins out of Osweiler and Moore to keep the Dolphins in contention, and even earn one playoff berth, while quarterback Ryan Tannehill was missing half of the team's games.

Gase's best work, though, and the work that got him on the NFL's head coaching carousel, came in Denver with Manning when he was the quarterbacks coach in 2012 and offensive coordinator in 2013-14. No one was sure Manning would even still be able to play when he first got to Denver, yet those turned into three of his finest NFL seasons. His 5,477-yard, 55-touchdown, 10-interception performance in 2013 was the best as the Broncos set several NFL offensive records and made a Super Bowl run.

And it's not like he was just holding a clipboard for Manning, either. Manning has a reputation for being an overly demanding player who can be tough on teammates and coaches. But Gase's work ethic and football brain clearly earned his respect.

"I really like Gase," Manning told Sports Illustrated's MMQB back in 2014. "I like playing for guys that are smarter than me and work as hard as me. Gase is there before I get there in the morning. That's what I like about Adam. He's always working, always thinking."

cut.jpg Dec 23, 2018; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase (right) talks with Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill (17) at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports (Steve Mitchell)

Manning has praised Gase for his play-calling, his innovation, his willingness to adjust. So just imagine all of that knowledge being shared with the young Darnold. The Jets obviously do.

Some of their offensive players were not happy with what they considered a lack of creativity and aggressiveness under Jets offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates last season. They felt Darnold had the ability to do more than he was being asked to do.

Late in the season, the Jets opened up the playbook and Darnold relaxed. As a result, he completed 64 percent of his passes for 931 yards and six touchdowns with only one interception over the final four games of the season. That was good for a passer rating of 99.1. To some players that proved the point that Darnold wasn't being challenged enough. They felt Bates' play-calling and direction were stunting his growth.

Obviously there's still plenty of untapped potential in Darnold, which the Jets are hoping Gase can tap into quickly. This will be the first true, star young quarterback he'll have to develop. Tannehill was already 28 and four seasons into his NFL career when Gase arrived in 2016. That year, actually, Tannehill was thriving with a career-best completion percentage of 67.1, 2,995 yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions before he missed the last three games with injuries.

He missed all of the 2017 season too. In fact, he missed 24 of the 48 games that Gase coached in Miami. So he never really had a chance to develop Tannehill the way he'll have with Darnold now. And the Jets obviously trust that Gase will develop him well -- because nothing is more important to the franchise than what happens with Darnold next.

"He'll be great for Darnold," the NFC executive said. "How he handles everything else that comes with the job remains to be seen. But he'll get the most out of the quarterback. He always does."

• 9 months later...
On 1/10/2019 at 2:11 AM, jgb said:

Best hire since parcells by a mile. Gase is going to be a great fit actually.

@BallinPB I don’t usually do this but thanks for the butt fumble. You realize the point of this thread was to put aside concerns and try to say something nice about Gase to get the positive vibes flowing. 

As always magical thinking doesn’t work.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

@BallinPB I don’t usually do this but thanks for the butt fumble. You realize the point of this thread was to put aside concerns and try to say something nice about Gase to get the positive vibes flowing. 

As always magical thinking doesn’t work.

You’ll live.  Im just so angry needed to take it out on the positivity spewed in this disgusting thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:41 PM, Pac said:

Thank god for the objectivity in this thread.  The insane reactions in the other threads were grating.

Did I want McCarthy over Gase?  Yes.

Is Gase a better choice then Rhule?  YES.

At least give it 8 games before you declare it the worst decision of all time.

Okay to be dissatisfied yet, or no?

Can we unpack why Gase was a better choice than Rhule? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Okay to be dissatisfied yet, or no?

Can we unpack why Gase was a better choice than Rhule? 

Yes it's been 8 games and I was incorrect.  Rhule would have been the better choice if only because the team would look like they care at 1-7.  I still don't think he overcomes the injuries and has this team .500..  No one would.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Yes it's been 8 games and I was incorrect.  Rhule would have been the better choice if only because the team would look like they care at 1-7.  I still don't think he overcomes the injuries and has this team .500..  No one would.

All the hypotheticals. 

• Sympathy 1

Look I'm willing to give Gase this season and all of next. Which includes the off season to retool with players him and Douglas want. The owners turned over the team to him and while it couldn't get much worse than this actually it could be worse. The team isn't completely overmatched there is enough talent to make plays and basically keep us in some games. We're not competitive but we can play with most NFL teams. I don't agree with the argument that it's all Macc's fault because it's mostly his players. The players on the roster when he left were better than this. He spent a lot of money and signed guys who are impact players. It's just in 2019 that nothing has worked out. Mosley basically out for the year, Sam with mono, etc. But we haven't seen much coming out of the CS to deal with injuries, problems, etc. If in 2020 the team hasn't improved then make a change and probably both Gase and Douglas. But I like Douglas' actions during the trade deadline he seemed to know what he was doing and didn't make any stupid deals. Just to get rid of players he didn't draft. And he inquired about trading for the Dallas O-linemen which means he wants to fix it. As for fixing the lack of a pass rush good luck Jets GMs have tried for years unsuccessfully. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Please go to the hospital immediately.  You have lost your mind.

You can't just fire a guy after 7 games. Sure he's been here since Jan. 2019, he's had almost a year. I'm willing to give him a year with players he wants to build with. Sure I agree this 2019 Jets team had much more talent than a 1-6. I also think he can still help Sam who is in a sophomore slump and maybe still has mono. Sam is NFL caliber. Look if this team completely falls off the rails I won't argue this. I don't think it has it's bad but we've seen worse. What was most scary today was the defense and Fitz torching us with no name receivers all day. Now that's a problem. The O-line today wasn't as terrible. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You can't just fire a guy after 7 games. Sure he's been here since Jan. 2019, he's had almost a year. I'm willing to give him a year with players he wants to build with. Sure I agree this 2019 Jets team had much more talent than a 1-6. I also think he can still help Sam who is in a sophomore slump and maybe still has mono. Sam is NFL caliber. Look if this team completely falls off the rails I won't argue this. I don't think it has it's bad but we've seen worse. What was most scary today was the defense and Fitz torching us with no name receivers all day. Now that's a problem. The O-line today wasn't as terrible. 

Hes not a rookie coach.  He was a disaster in miami and its continuing here.  Hes lost the team in half a season.  They just lost to a team of players that should be bagging groceries.

Do you not comprehend how bad todays loss was????  Wake up!!!!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

yes we can

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes not a rookie coach.  He was a disaster in miami and its continuing here.  Hes lost the team in half a season.  They just lost to a team of players that should be bagging groceries.

Do you not comprehend how bad todays loss was????  Wake up!!!!

He wasn’t a disaster in Miami and even made the playoffs one year. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1