Gase Pains: Jets Fans Appear Livid Over Hiring of Gase

JetNation

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dolphins81 said:

Give it a few years.  Gasy will cut your players like he did in Miami.  Y’all are getting a bad deal.  Gasy is a horrible coach, we have been hoping he would get fired for over a year.  Miami was never prepared and his play calling is the most predictable in the NFL.  I actually feel sorry for y’all.  

He can’t cut players because he doesn’t have control over personnel like he did in Miami. It’s his temperament that has me convinced he’s going to fail. This is NY, so if he crashes and burns it will happen quickly. 

8 hours ago, tkiss24 said:

How can you trust him more than McCarthy than with Darnold. McCarthy May have had his issues at the end, but he was the coach who worked on Rodgers for a few years while Favre was there. He was the one who along with Ted Thompson said no to Favre wanting to come back yet again. What has Gase done? Developed a 36 year old Peyton Manning? IMHO this is a massive mistake. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t feel good about this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Its pretty obvious to me McCarthy didn't impress anybody in this process. He was the odds on favorite to have his pick of any job he wanted at the start. He finished 4th at best with the Jets job, and the Browns never even gave him an interview after their initial contacts with him. 

You want to believe in the McCarthy stuff, go ahead, I could care less. He's not coming and its probably a good thing. I'm going to get behind Gase and hope he can turn this program around

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Its pretty obvious to me McCarthy didn't impress anybody in this process. He was the odds on favorite to have his pick of any job he wanted at the start. He finished 4th at best with the Jets job, and the Browns never even gave him an interview after their initial contacts with him. 

You want to believe in the McCarthy stuff, go ahead, I could care less. He's not coming and its probably a good thing. I'm going to get behind Gase and hope he can turn this program around

Reports are that Browns wanted to hire but only if he retained Kitchens, who I'm sure the midget QB stumped for 

22 minutes ago, CTM said:

Reports are that Browns wanted to hire but only if he retained Kitchens, who I'm sure the midget QB stumped for 

If we learned anything through out this process, I think its that these "reports" aren't worth a crap. Look, I was fine with McCarthy, but there had to be a reason for him getting fired midseason, coming in 4th at best for the Jets job, and not getting a Browns interview. BTW if he didn't want the OC who worked so well with the "midget QB who took the league by storm", and wanted his guy Philbin or McAdoo, maybe he is too stubborn to change, just like many thought.

Just now, 14 in Green said:

If we learned anything through out this process, I think its that these "reports" aren't worth a crap. Look, I was fine with McCarthy, but there had to be a reason for him getting fired midseason, coming in 4th at best for the Jets job, and not getting a Browns interview. BTW if he didn't want the OC who worked so well with the "midget ROY QB who took the league by storm", and wanted his guy Philbin or McAdoo, maybe he is too stubborn to change, just like many thought.

Eff that dude, McCarthy is smart not to get in that situation. He'd immediately be neutered as a HC whose FQB is loyal to the OC. The politics are bad.

I get theres a lot of BS, but it's not hard to sniff out what makes sense and what doesnt. For instance, Jets being interested in inexperianced guys like Rhule and Kingsbury as guys Mac would have control of makes sense and was corroborated by reports.. so it's probably true. So, the inverse is also likely true, Mac wanted nothing to do with a guy as established as McCarthy. The fact that Manish has been tearing down McCarthy for weeks and put out a pro Gase puff piece hours before the news broke corroborates it as well. If you think it's all a coincidence you dont know how this stuff works.

10 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I'm not livid at all

Considering who was available, this was a good hire imo…

gase checks some of the boxes the jets need in a coach.  none of the potential guys were inspiring except for mccarthy but even there one has to wonder if he had enough fire left to be an effective coach.  except for kingsbury, has any jets interviewee been hired by another team?

we'll just have to give gase a chance and see who he brings in as assistants.  mac will have to have a couple of stellar drafts and free agent signings.  he won't be able to get away with third tier players.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

This is a great hire.  He's not a rookie.  He's already an NFL head coach.  And one who is going to whip our  culture into shape with a focus on football and only football.

Some very successful Super Bowl head coaches were busts elsewhere.  We've done the coordinator route so long it's about time we went with a veteran.  And a young one with an offensive pedigree that Sam likes.

Good job Jets.

SAR I

I quoted your first post in this thread but I am in 100% agreement with you on this hire. 

For all the typical sky is falling negative jet fans...SAR will be the guy in 3 years saying "I told you so"

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

Eff that dude, McCarthy is smart not to get in that situation. He'd immediately be neutered as a HC whose FQB is loyal to the OC. The politics are bad.

I get theres a lot of BS, but it's not hard to sniff out what makes sense and what doesnt. For instance, Jets being interested in inexperianced guys like Rhule and Kingsbury as guys Mac would have control of makes sense and was corroborated by reports.. so it's probably true. So, the inverse is also likely true, Mac wanted nothing to do with a guy as established as McCarthy. The fact that Manish has been tearing down McCarthy for weeks and put out a pro Gase puff piece hours before the news broke corroborates it as well. If you think it's all a coincidence you dont know how this stuff works.

Look, if that's how you feel about the Jets situation, I'm not going to change your mind, that's for sure. The best I can do is tell you that Gase is now the HC, and we're always going to be Jets fans. That's not going to change. Why not just hope this works out? Gase is a young offensive coach, and he's got some coaching cred. If he clicks with Darnold this just might work out.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

When he was an OC he was the hottest name in the league, everyone wanted him.  When made an NFL HD and when he had a legitimate quarterback he won 10 games and made the playoffs.  He knows our personnel, he knows the AFC East, he knows how to beat the Patriots, he can quickly build a quality coaching staff, and he's not going to take sh*t from malcontent millionaires in the locker room.

Chris Johnson and Sam Darnold love the guy.  You should too.  Darnold and Gase in one calendar year.  If you have any champagne left over in the fridge, time to whip it out.

SAR I

Tannehill got progressively worse under Gase. The numbers speak for themselves. 

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Look, if that's how you feel about the Jets situation, I'm not going to change your mind, that's for sure. The best I can do is tell you that Gase is now the HC, and we're always going to be Jets fans. That's not going to change. Why not just hope this works out? Gase is a young offensive coach, and he's got some coaching cred. If he clicks with Darnold this just might work out.

I'm ok with Gase, Rhule us who I was afraid would get the gig.

Going to add the Free Agent discussion to why this is a bad hire. 

Its well known his players didn’t like him and that’s he’s a loser. 

and it’s well know FA go places where they like the coach and want to win. 

Honestly, I can’t, for the life of me, understand how they could have possibly made this choice. 

There is honestly nothing redeeming about him as a HC. 

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm ok with Gase, Rhule us who I was afraid would get the gig.

I agree with you 100% on Ruhle. I tried to get my head around his possible hire, but it just never made any sense. So at least we dodged that bullet, LOL. I wish I still lived in NY, I'd love to listen to Benigno this morning. That should be priceless. But Eff it. I'm gonna play some golf!

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree with you 100% on Ruhle. I tried to get my head around his possible hire, but it just never made any sense. So at least we dodged that bullet, LOL. I wish I still lived in NY, I'd love to listen to Benigno this morning. That should be priceless. But Eff it. I'm gonna play some golf!

Radio.com streams it, I was listening last night but it was more depressing than funny. Tuning in for Beningos rant for sure though 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

The phrase you are looking for is couldn’t care less.  You are saying the opposite by saying could care less.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

A mediocre quarterback is not an indication of his head coach.  Tannehill is not a franchise quarterback.

SAR I

Many thought he was. Gase thought he was.  It’s certainly possible and IMO likely had he been coached properly he would be a franchise QB. 

Cutler? Isn’t an offensive genius supposed to get more out of an Uber tallented QB?

Gase is a disaster and will be a disaster. Just an F-in disgrace that we’re going to blow the one time this team has gotten lucky landing Darnold. 

Ok woke up this morning after being pissed off last night.  Still pissed off.    But hey, I can look forward to in 3 years Macaggnan and Gase will be gone and the cycle of suck will continue.

I really hope Gase proves me wrong, but I just can't get behind this decision.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Many thought he was. Gase thought he was.  It’s certainly possible and IMO likely had he been coached properly he would be a franchise QB. 

Cutler? Isn’t an offensive genius supposed to get more out of an Uber tallented QB?

Gase is a disaster and will be a disaster. Just an F-in disgrace that we’re going to blow the one time this team has gotten lucky landing Darnold. 

Experienced NFL head coach.

Young.

Offensive Guru.

Coached In Our Division For 3 Years.

Beat Belichick Twice.

Can Build Quality Coaching Staff.

Knows Our Personnel Intimately.

Disciplinarian To Restore Order.

Yeah, what a lousy hire.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Young.

Offensive Guru.

Beat Belichick Twice.

Yeah, what a lousy hire.

SAR I

This review clinches it.  What a sh*t hire.

30 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Ok woke up this morning after being pissed off last night.  Still pissed off.    But hey, I can look forward to in 3 years Macaggnan and Gase will be gone and the cycle of suck will continue.

I really hope Gase proves me wrong, but I just can't get behind this decision.

I really hope to be proven wrong as well.  More realistically, I really really really hope it doesn't take 3 friggin years for these 2 incompetents to be sent packing.

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Young.

Offensive Guru.

Beat Belichick Twice.

Yeah, what a lousy hire.

SAR I

Failed experience.

Age is meaningless.

Miserable offenses in every year he didn't have Peyton friggin' Manning (who was also calling the plays for him).

Sucked in our division for 3 years.

2-4 vs Beli, one of those two dependent on a successful set of desperation laterals, only working thanks to the stupidity of Gronk playing D.

Folks around here know the Jets roster better than anyone, it doesn't make us qualified to be HC.

He created far more chaos than order in MIA.

But yes, definitely a lousy hire.

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Failed head coach

Young.

Inexperienced. And in over his head

Offensive Guru.

24th, 25th and 30th ranked offenses

So?

Beat Belichick Twice.

Lost to BB 4 times

Not true. By almost all accounts he's bringing in his failure staff from Miami

Means close to nothing.

Lost the locker room - traded away his most talented players because he couldn't coach them.  It's the HC job to manage these super huge ego personality.

Yeah, what a lousy hire.

First thing you stated that was correct.

SAR I

See above..

Archived