100 Million Dollars

CrazyCarl40

That’s about how much the Jets will have to spend retaining their own players, signing their draft picks, and bringing in free agents. This team has a lot of holes on both sides of the ball and limited draft capital to fill them. So, they’ll be relying on free agency to fill a lot of gaps, which with the current GM, has been a mixed bag at best and an unmitigated disaster at worse.

All that said, my biggest concern with the Gase hiring is that he spoiled a lot of relationships with very talented players in Miami, to the point where he had them shipped out. When he was fired for being not a great fit or coach down south, players literally took to social media to laugh or say finally. He wasn’t well liked and rumors of players saying “him or me” at the end of the season added the fuel to his firing. 

The NFL and its players are all very aware of this as players talk and get advice about playing for coaches and their experiences. So, how do the Jets attract key free agents when his former players have mostly ripped him as showing favoritism, being an inconsistent coach, and then also forcing guys out that he didn’t get along with no matter how talented? The Jets already are not a destination that a lot of players take seriously. Now, it is even less attractive as a place to continue a career. I think the ripple effect of this hiring will impact the free agency market for the team and how good the support is around the key piece, Darnold. I can’t see major talent coming in without massive overpayment and lots of guaranteed money. Also, the instability of Macc in his job and future is tied to Gase having immediate success. That also adds to the Jets being an undesirable location. No one wants to sign afuve year deal with the thought this regime could/will be gone in two years.

Please don’t respond in this thread with whataboutisms of other coaches. I don’t care how a coach that isn’t here would impact the Jets assembling a roster. I want to hear how this GM and this coach is going to push a bottom tier talent roster from 4-12 to playoff contention next season. Because you don’t hire a coach like Gase without laying out those exact expectations in year one. How will Macc and Gase be able to surround Darnold with the protection he needs up front and talent he needs at skill positions to make this team better? Me? I just can’t see anything better than .500 and continued playoff futility. 

We will know more when/if free agents sign from Miami, one or two signings would tell me the press grabbing headlines are just that BS - on the positive side the fins with Gase did use high draft picks on the OL and offense in general 

Does Wake have anything left? James on the OL, maybe even Brock could help as cheap backup, can't pay McCown $10m again, can they?

We will know more when/if free agents sign from Miami, one or two signings would tell me the press grabbing headlines are just that BS - on the positive side the fins with Gase did use high draft picks on the OL and offense in general 
Does Wake have anything left? James on the OL, maybe even Brock could help as cheap backup, can't pay McCown $10m again, can they?

Wake is reportedly one of the guys who went to management and complained about Gase. He’s not coming here.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

$100 million for Macc to spend is like giving my 5 year old son a set of brushes and expecting Rembrandt.

This is the 3rd installment of Macc having big bucks to improve this team’s lot. I still have a headache from his first try. 

I feel your post is a bit over the top. Money talks. Think Kirk Cousins turns down 35 a year? No. We will get our talent, we will be better, at the end of the day, as with most teams in the NFL. The only thing that truly matters is Sam Darnold's developement and how well he raisies the ceiling of the players around him. Expect Gase to get his security blanket in Burnett involved more. 

I'd like to see us sign Tate, Bell/Hunt, Lawrence. Those 4 would equall a win or two.

9 minutes ago, The12th Man said:

I feel your post is a bit over the top. Money talks. Think Kirk Cousins turns down 35 a year? No. We will get our talent, we will be better, at the end of the day, as with most teams in the NFL. The only thing that truly matters is Sam Darnold's developement and how well he raisies the ceiling of the players around him. Expect Gase to get his security blanket in Burnett involved more. 

I'd like to see us sign Tate, Bell/Hunt, Lawrence. Those 4 would equall a win or two.

Cousins literally turned down more money from the Jets last year. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because at the time Minny was viewed by most as being the next SB team.  Absolutely made them more desirable.

Now theyre a huge question, things change. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If I remember correctly. He turned down our 30 to their 28. Thats him turning down 90 million for 84 million. To prove my point I asked if you thought Kirk Cosuins would turn down 35 million. To which I say: No. Kirk Cousins would not have turned down 105 Million from us to play for 21 less million. He was a QB. Most of the players we're targeting arent going to take millions less to avoid Adam Gase.

36 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So no one is at all concerned that a less than desirable free agent destination is being compounded by a coach players hate and the Jets need to score big in a weak FA class because the GM is bad at drafting? No?

Winning cures a lot of ills. If Free Agents believe that the Darnold/Gase combo is a winning combo and, perhaps most importantly, the Jets come up with the money, they'll sign here. 

We have a lot of money, that’s desirable in and of itself. If Sam develops and we still have money, it’ll be even moreso. Players want to get paid. Period. 

How this GM and coach make the team more competitive? Develop Sam. Anything else is BS rhetoric. We’ve had two coaches in a row where players would “run through the wall for them,” I don’t care if Gase is hated as long as he wins. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Winning cures a lot of ills. If Free Agents believe that the Darnold/Gase combo is a winning combo and, perhaps most importantly, the Jets come up with the money, they'll sign here. 

The Jets haven’t made the playoffs in how long? And Gase was a below .500 coach in Miami. Not a lot of winning here. 

4 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

We have a lot of money, that’s desirable in and of itself. If Sam develops and we still have money, it’ll be even moreso. Players want to get paid. Period. 

How this GM and coach make the team more competitive? Develop Sam. Anything else is BS rhetoric. We’ve had two coaches in a row where players would “run through the wall for them,” I don’t care if Gase is hated as long as he wins. 

How do you get good players here to help develop the QB if you can’t get them here in the first place as it’s an undesirable destination? That’s the question. Also, FA is not great this year which is why poor drafting over the years is coming back to bite the team. 

23 minutes ago, heymangold said:

who exactly does miami have, that is available, that is talented and we would want?

What does that have to do with my premise? I didn’t say Dolphins players wouldn’t want to come here. I’m saying that Dolphins players will tell their buddies how bad Gase is in the locker room and make the Jets more undesirable than they already are. 

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Thank God.

For the most part he's right that FA's are going to the highest bidder. Of course there are exceptions to that rule.

I think money does talk, but literally there have been players that have said there wasn’t enough money to come to the Jets. It’s not seen as a winning franchise. The really good players will get paid either way. The Jets will have to overpay for mediocre players. 

6 hours ago, BikerTed said:

Bellicheck and Brady are thinking they just dodged a bullet, and got themselves 4 more years.

I hope Gase gets Williams for DC. We need a DC that gets along with the guys. 

Yeah, I am sure the 5 time Super Bowl winning QB was shaking in his boots at the thought the Jets may hire the guy the Pack just fired!! 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think money does talk, but literally there have been players that have said there wasn’t enough money to come to the Jets. It’s not seen as a winning franchise. The really good players will get paid either way. The Jets will have to overpay for mediocre players. 

Name one FA who said there wasnt enough money to come to the Jets.  This is completely different than picking a team like Minny who was so close to the SB over going to a team in the first stages of a  full rebuild.  Darnold changed a lot of the this.  A decent 2019 would change more.  Football teams can change quickly, so would their desirability as a destination to FAs.  

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So no one is at all concerned that a less than desirable free agent destination is being compounded by a coach players hate and the Jets need to score big in a weak FA class because the GM is bad at drafting? No?

It doesn’t matter who the coach is. As long as Maccagnan is drawing up the contracts, we may as well just set the money on fire.

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

"any player will come here if we make a good offer, except the ones who don't, but actually we didn't want them anyway" is Peak JN

Not sure why I got a notification I was quoted on this but if this is in response to my comment on Cousins it's pretty lame. My comment is made with the clarity of hindsight. Obviously given the fact that we got Darnold and it looks like we finally drafted a big time QB I'd rather have the young guy for cheap.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Name one FA who said there wasnt enough money to come to the Jets.  This is completely different than picking a team like Minny who was so close to the SB over going to a team in the first stages of a  full rebuild.  Darnold changed a lot of the this.  A decent 2019 would change more.  Football teams can change quickly, so would their desirability as a destination to FAs.  

Leveon Bell said it. 

I agree that if the Jets have a better 2019, they’d become more attractive to free agents, but to be better in 2019 they have to score good free agents now because not enough talented players aren’t coming through the draft. That’s on Macc. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Not sure why I got a notification I was quoted on this but if this is in response to my comment on Cousins it's pretty lame. My comment is made with the clarity of hindsight. Obviously given the fact that we got Darnold and it looks like we finally drafted a big time QB I'd rather have the young guy for cheap.

Barry, I'm not going to lie to you: your helmet avatar and 12th Man's tattoo avatar look a lot alike

29 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets haven’t made the playoffs in how long? And Gase was a below .500 coach in Miami. Not a lot of winning here. 

How do you get good players here to help develop the QB if you can’t get them here in the first place as it’s an undesirable destination? That’s the question. Also, FA is not great this year which is why poor drafting over the years is coming back to bite the team. 

I think players will come but you don't simply overpay them, you must grossly overpay. When that happens, it is never a good marriage and seldom do you get half the player you paid for because he is uninterested. Just an opinion. 

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I get that. Like I said, it's gonna come down to perception. The Jets are already more stable with Gase newly hired than they were with Bowles and his two-year extension last year. The biggest selling point the Jets have is Darnold, and that's something new this year, too. I'm willing to just wait and see how it's gonna play out. I wish they fired Mac, Gase was not my first choice, but it's just not in my nature to worry about things that are completely out of my control. This is what we have now, and I'm gonna root for it to work out. I'll leave it to others to be right first about the Jets sucking again. 

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Barry, I'm not going to lie to you: your helmet avatar and 12th Man's tattoo avatar look a lot alike

Okay, I didnt want it to come to this, but i feel as though I've been caught. I did in fact copy Barry's Avatar. I'm sorry, I didnt think it was a big deal. Obvioulsy If I could take it back I would. 

Let's all take a deep breath here and not say anything we cant take back. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I get that. Like I said, it's gonna come down to perception. The Jets are already more stable with Gase newly hired than they were with Bowles and his two-year extension last year. The biggest selling point the Jets have is Darnold, and that's something new this year, too. I'm willing to just wait and see how it's gonna play out. I wish they fired Mac, Gase was not my first choice, but it's just not in my nature to worry about things that are completely out of my control. This is what we have now, and I'm gonna root for it to work out. I'll leave it to others to be right first about the Jets sucking again. 

Oh I want this to work, but I have zero faith in Macc and never thought he should pick the coach. The biggest selling point, I think, is a good one. But I disagree the Jets are stable. Macc got a two year extension too. He’s on thin ice. That doesn’t scream to me stability. But yeah. Let’s hope for the best. 

6 hours ago, The Troll said:

Wake is reportedly one of the guys who went to management and complained about Gase. He’s not coming here.

Wake is gonna 50 next year, who the f*ck cares about what Cameron Wake thinks about Gase. Many Pats players left New England knowing for a fact that BB is a prick!

Archived