Will Gase clean house, gut roster and start from scratch......once again?

Kleckineau

Will Gase tear this team down and start from scratch?

Other than the obvious who survives?

Is this yet another full on rebuild coming?

Would that be #3 in like 5 years?

Oh and btw....

Since BB was hired in New England the rest of the AFCE teams have had 22 different HC's.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

Plus Macc is clearly still in change of personnel decisions and the final roster.

So no, Gase will not "clean house" IMO.  

Exactly.  Gase will have some input, but he doesn't have total control.  So the bloodletting may be less severe than people might expect.

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Exactly.  Gase will have some input, but he doesn't have total control.  So the bloodletting may be less severe than people might expect.

Am really curious about the WR positions....  Burnett, Kearse, Peake...    Rahsard whasthisface is gone, i think...

is there ANY hope that Peake can be useful? besides ST? I think Burnett can/will be....

moe on from Kearse? 

Kearse is an interesting study.  He was really dependable in 2017 and with a very few exceptions, the exact opposite in 2018.  If he could become that sure-handed, get the 6-yard play on 3rd-and-5 guy again, he would really help this team next year.  Think Welker/Edelman.  But I have no idea what changed in 2018 and which version we can expect if we bring him back.  

22 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Will Gase tear this team down and start from scratch

no because he doesn't have that authority

Mac runs the roster

Gregg Williams or whoever will run the D and take Gase's job if he steps out of line 

which is fine with Gase, because doesn't actually care about what happens outside of the offense.

Maybe in the year 2019 that's enough. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Kearse is an interesting study.  He was really dependable in 2017 and with a very few exceptions, the exact opposite in 2018.  If he could become that sure-handed, get the 6-yard play on 3rd-and-5 guy again, he would really help this team next year.  Think Welker/Edelman.  But I have no idea what changed in 2018 and which version we can expect if we bring him back.  

WR get old quick

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll almost certainly trade away his best talent in order to show everyone he's in charge.  So sad.

Don’t worry, there is no “best talent”...Darnold, Adams, Herndon, and maybe the LB Williamson and that’s all there is...the rest can go.

Mike Maccagnan “building an NFL roster 1 Player per YEAR, at a time” haha.

28 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Will Gase tear this team down and start from scratch?

Other than the obvious who survives?

Is this yet another full on rebuild coming?

Would that be #3 in like 5 years?

Oh and btw....

Since BB was hired in New England the rest of the AFCE teams have had 22 different HC's.

What's to gut?

You're basically asking, what do we do with Leonard Williams.  Because, other than that, you have a couple guys you're not getting rid of, and then mostly trash that you wouldn't even know if they were gone.

On the other hand, who needs to gut anything?  All we needed to do was get rid of Bowles, and we were a good football team.  So, we did that, and fortunately, we got our 1st choice at HC who was the plan all along.  So, why gut a team that's going to compete for the AFCE this season?

16 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Am really curious about the WR positions....  Burnett, Kearse, Peake...    Rahsard whasthisface is gone, i think...

is there ANY hope that Peake can be useful? besides ST? I think Burnett can/will be....

moe on from Kearse? 

Burnett is going no where

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He's only 28.  I really don't think age is the issue in this case given that AB is 30 and Fitz is 35.  Not everyone is Larry Fitzgerald but 28 is still peak performance for a WR usually.

he's going into his 8th year,  he's shown up on injury reports with shoulder, ankle, knee and abdomen issues

guys who get traded, for all we know he could be 28 going on 88 

it's not like the Jets' doctors fail anyone 

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

What's to gut?

You're basically asking, what do we do with Leonard Williams.  Because, other than that, you have a couple guys you're not getting rid of, and then mostly trash that you wouldn't even know if they were gone.

About right. 

The roster will be gutting itself. There are only about 30 players under contract for 2019. That's why the giddiness of over $100M in cap room has always been way overblown. They have an entire roster to fill out with that money.  

19 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

moe on from Kearse? 

I think Burnett will benefit from the move. Bowles and company rarely used him, or even activated him, despite his obvious talent and connection with Darnold. In Miami, Gase was never afraid to mix in multiple receivers, and young receivers, in specific roles. I think Burnett could become a regular from the slot.

Kearse, I wouldn't mind bringing back if the deal is cheap. Peake is good on STs but that's about it.  I'd already forgotten that Rahsard whasthisface was ever on the team.

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

On the other hand, who needs to gut anything?  All we needed to do was get rid of Bowles, and we were a good football team.  So, we did that, and fortunately, we got our 1st choice at HC who was the plan all along.  So, why gut a team that's going to compete for the AFCE this season?

weq29.jpg

3 minutes ago, oldandintheway said:

Keep Andre Roberts and the ST coach

I'd like to see Boyer stay as well.  Possibly the only significant holdover.  But, I'd also like to see some new blood at a coordinator spot.  I don't want the full constituency of coaches being recycled from Miami.  If we hire Williams or Pagano at DC, and keep Boyer, I think I become much more comfortable with the Gase move.  Macc (like him or hate him) has control of the 53-man roster, so it's sounding like Gase has already been "neutered" to a certain degree.  Changing up the staff from Miami, adding a DC with previous HC experience, keeping final say of the 53-man roster with the GM....all good moves.  It also puts Macc clearly on the hook for this team's performance over the next 2 years.  This is HIS roster and this is HIS coach.  There will be no ambiguity about the accountability.  No more debate about talent vs. coaching.....because both are Macc's babies!

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Theres not much to gut. This team sucks and we pick in the top 6 every year basically. We've been "rebuilding" 

Exactly what I was going to say... I think part of what maybe made this job attractive was the basically clean slate a guy was walking into. He could at the very least give input on how he wanted to mold the team around Darnold. 

31 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I think Burnett will benefit from the move. 

THIS

In Miami, Gase was never afraid to mix in multiple receivers, and young receivers, in specific roles. I think Burnett could become a regular from the slot.

and this

Kearse, I wouldn't mind bringing back if the deal is cheap.

such an uneven year was perplexing and i'd given up on him.

Peake is good on STs but that's about it. 

got size...   but ???  can it be used... SEEMS prototypicla large back sholder target kinda...

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Yay for optimism! 

Not at all. This team is a blank canvas with two bookends on offense and defense (Darnold & Adams).

Spend the $100mil and choose wisely at #3 and let's play ball. If Adam Gase is as good as the Jets think he can be under a better organization, then the arrow should continue trending up next season.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll almost certainly trade away his best talent in order to show everyone he's in charge.  So sad.

Exactly what needs to be done, total annihilation. There are 3 players that are untouchable- Darnold, Herndon and Enuwa. Everyone else is fodder, even choir boy. And no one knows exactly how much influence Gase will have on personnel decisions as everything goes back through CJ. 

I don't believe Gase will be given a long leash.  He likely has two years to get to the playoffs and gutting this team will not get him there.  I'm sure his sales pitch to CJ was that he could make this team relevant quickly.  Combine that with Mac's really short leash and it's likely they don't take drastic measures.

Archived