Poll Adam Gase vs Matt Rhule  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather?

• Adam Gase
    • Matt Rhule

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Rhule had a defensive outlook to the game. Regardless of his change he was a linebacker in college and talked a lot about ball control and even referred to himself as a defensive guy in an interview. According to Manish he wanted to hire a first time offensive coordinator who is a an assistant right now who never called plays. We dodged a real bullet.

I really like Rhule, wanted him, and think he is going to be a very good NFL coach sometime soon.

The Jets clearly liked him too, and came very close to hiring him. It looks like they couldn't agree on how to fill out his staff, so the relationship would never have worked. A shame, but that's life.

So, as much as I wanted Rhule, I understand why he and the Jets agreed not to join up.

Gase is a guy I rate as a coach, so perfectly content with the hire. Not so keen on his potential OC, but Gase does the heavy lifting on gamedays, so that's not a deal-breaker. If Gase adds a Williams or a Pagano or a Joseph at DC, and either retains Boyer or adds Rizzi on STs, then this can be a very good hire for the Jets.

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

I really like Rhule, wanted him, and think he is going to be a very good NFL coach sometime soon.

The Jets clearly liked him too, and came very close to hiring him. It looks like they couldn't agree on how to fill out his staff, so the relationship would never have worked. A shame, but that's life.

So, as much as I wanted Rhule, I understand why he and the Jets agreed not to join up.

Gase is a guy I rate as a coach, so perfectly content with the hire. Not so keen on his potential OC, but Gase does the heavy lifting on gamedays, so that's not a deal-breaker. If Gase adds a Williams or a Pagano or a Joseph at DC, and either retains Boyer or adds Rizzi on STs, then this can be a very good hire for the Jets.

If we brought in Gase as our OC and this dude was our Offensive Assistant or whatever dumb title, no one would care. That is pretty  much all he is. 

I am far more concerned, like you, with our DC. I don't love Williams, but he is my number 1 choice. Not a fan of Joseph to be honest. Not sure what he has ever done to earn the praise he gets. But I won't lose sleep either way. 

Saw this on PFT. As a guy coming from the defensive side of the ball, I can see why the OC would be a sticking point. I wanted a coach in favor of putting up a lot of points. That's where this league is at now. 

Report: Offensive coordinator choice was issue for Matt Rhule with Jets

Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2019, 8:15 AM EST
GettyImages-1052072032-e1547126136787.jp
Getty Images

Shortly before word broke that Adam Gase will be the new head coach of the Jets, there were multiple reports that Matt Rhule would remain the head coach at Baylor.

The two developments were not unrelated. The Jets interviewed Rhule and the reports of his return were accompanied by a report that talks about him moving to the Jets fell apart because of disagreements about the coaching staff that Rhule would put in place.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Rhule’s choice for offensive coordinator was a particular sticking point. There’s no word on who Rhule had targeted for the job beyond that it is a current NFL assistant. Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports that former Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken was floated as an option by the Jets. Monken also interviewed for the head coaching job.

Given the importance of developing quarterback Sam Darnold to the Jets’ future, it’s easy to understand the weight they’d place on the choice of offensive coordinator. It’s also easy to understand why a head coach would balk at not having the assistants that he feels are necessary for success and it all adds up to that responsibility falling on Gase and his assistants.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Saw this on PFT. As a guy coming from the defensive side of the ball, I can see why the OC would be a sticking point. I wanted a coach in favor of putting up a lot of points. That's where this league is at now. 

Report: Offensive coordinator choice was issue for Matt Rhule with Jets

Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2019, 8:15 AM EST
GettyImages-1052072032-e1547126136787.jp
Getty Images

Shortly before word broke that Adam Gase will be the new head coach of the Jets, there were multiple reports that Matt Rhule would remain the head coach at Baylor.

The two developments were not unrelated. The Jets interviewed Rhule and the reports of his return were accompanied by a report that talks about him moving to the Jets fell apart because of disagreements about the coaching staff that Rhule would put in place.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Rhule’s choice for offensive coordinator was a particular sticking point. There’s no word on who Rhule had targeted for the job beyond that it is a current NFL assistant. Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports that former Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken was floated as an option by the Jets. Monken also interviewed for the head coaching job.

Given the importance of developing quarterback Sam Darnold to the Jets’ future, it’s easy to understand the weight they’d place on the choice of offensive coordinator. It’s also easy to understand why a head coach would balk at not having the assistants that he feels are necessary for success and it all adds up to that responsibility falling on Gase and his assistants.

I see both sides of this.  If I'm Rhule then I want "my guys."  If I'm the Jets I'd see that I'm hiring a rookie HC from college who isn't from offense and I'd really need to have supreme confidence in his OC.  No idea who Matt's choice was but my GUESS is that it's someone he has a relationship with from his days at the Giants under Coughlin.  They say it's a guy who is a current NFL assistant so anyone who feels like digging through the staff of the Giants during that year and looking for a current assistant on offense go for it!

But again, I can see (and support) the Jets balking at Rhule's choice if they (or Darnold) didn't seem comfortable with it.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

A body of work of failure.

And what was Rhule's body of work?  If you put context on Rhule's losing college record, you have to do the same for Gase's losing NFL record.  But Gase also has experience as a coordinator at the pro level (record breaking offense), something Rhule never did.  His coordinator experience was at Temple.  He was only a line assistant coach for 1 year as a pro.

My main question is:  What is Rhule's singular selling point to an NFL team?

All the other HC candidates had one.  Gase is an offensive guy who works with QBs at the pro level.  What is Rhule's selling point?

3 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Rhule if he brought a guy like Monken on board as OC

Then why not just hire Monken?

That's what I can't understand of the pro-Rhule sentiment.  Much of the defense of Rhule was who he would hire (people pushing Gase as OC).  If the selling point of a HC is who his coordinators would be then the team is better off finding another HC.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

No idea who Matt's choice was but my GUESS is that it's someone he has a relationship with from his days at the Giants under Coughlin.  They say it's a guy who is a current NFL assistant so anyone who feels like digging through the staff of the Giants during that year and looking for a current assistant on offense go for it!

looking at the 2012 NYG staff these are the offensive names: 

Offensive coaches

The Gilbrides are the most obvious guess and probably the younger. Sean Ryan overlapped with Mac at Houston maybe there's bad blood there?  The other names are either out of football or no easy reason why Mac etc would balk.  It would be interesting if Rhule wanted Lunda Wells lets say and the Jets were not ok with that for whatever reason

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

My main question is:  What is Rhule's singular selling point to an NFL team?

All the other HC candidates had one.  Gase is an offensive guy who works with QBs at the pro level.  What is Rhule's selling point?

Rhule is a turnaround artist who motivates people and wins games at programs no one really wants to coach 

Temple never wins. Baylor had the biggest sex scandal in college football history and got them over .500 the next year with no recruits. 

the Jets are a program no one really wants to coach. The Jets are the Temple of the NFL (in the case of Joe Klecko and Robby Anderson literally so)

Gase worked with QBs OK how many has he turned around? 

I can't take credit for the twitter comment said "he did a great job developing a 35 year old Payton Manning" 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

looking at the 2012 NYG staff these are the offensive names: 

Offensive coaches

The Gilbrides are the most obvious guess and probably the younger. Sean Ryan overlapped with Mac at Houston maybe there's bad blood there?  The other names are either out of football or no easy reason why Mac etc would balk.  It would be interesting if Rhule wanted Lunda Wells lets say and the Jets were not ok with that for whatever reason

Thanks!  Gilbride, Jr. has been a Tight Ends coach for the past 5 years.  First with the Giants, now with the Bears.  I'm not sure he'd have the gravitas to jump to an OC position on a staff with little offensive experience.  The others I just don't know about.

Honestly I would have preferred Rhule... But I would have been big on Rhule with Monken. People are fair to criticize the "how can you not let the coach pick his coordinators" aspect of this but the scariest part of hiring Rhule was the staff he'd assemble so I'm not sure I blame the Jets either. It was a weird situation.

Gase is enough of a known commodity (strengths, weaknesses, etc.) that it's just hard to feel as good about it. He does still have upside though.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rhule is a turnaround artist who motivates people and wins games at programs no one really wants to coach 

Temple never wins. Baylor had the biggest sex scandal in college football history and got them over .500 the next year with no recruits. 

the Jets are a program no one really wants to coach. The Jets are the Temple of the NFL (in the case of Joe Klecko and Robby Anderson literally so)

Gase worked with QBs OK how many has he turned around? 

I can't take credit for the twitter comment said "he did a great job developing a 35 year old Payton Manning" 

He certainly didn't develop Manning.  But I do like the fact that Gase has worked with a variety of QBs with diverse backgrounds and seems to have improved all of them.  Yes, evening Manning.  He took one of the best QBs in the history of the league and coached him to his best season.  It's nice to see a guy able to elevate a great one even just a little bit.  Cutler had his best season under Gase.  Gase coached everyone from Tebow to Tannehill, Shaun Hill to Brock Osweiler.  He seems to have gotten just about the best he could out of all of those very limited quarterbacks.

If Darnold is as good as we think he is.  If Darnold is as heady and intelligent of a player as we hear he is (never making the same mistake twice, digesting what he learned during his 2-3 injury weeks and coming back much better and smarter over the final games, etc.) then Gase's success with Manning is important.  Quite honestly, this is exactly what's happening in Arizona.  Kingsbury is considered a brilliant offensive mind and Rosen is considered almost too intelligent for football.  Pairing some great minds between coach and QB can really yield success.  I start to think about guys like Andy Reid and Alex Smith, McCarthy and Rogers (when it worked), McDaniels and Brady, etc.

We could do a LOT worse than putting Gase with Darnold.  JMHO.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Honestly I would have preferred Rhule... But I would have been big on Rhule with Monken. People are fair to criticize the "how can you not let the coach pick his coordinators" aspect of this but the scariest part of hiring Rhule was the staff he'd assemble so I'm not sure I blame the Jets either. It was a weird situation.

Gase is enough of a known commodity (strengths, weaknesses, etc.) that it's just hard to feel as good about it. He does still have upside though.

I'd probably prefer Rhule with Monken as well.  But Rhule with a lesser OC would be a big concern.  Not big, huge.

Gase, particularly if he gets a dynamite DC, is something I'd support more than Rhule with an unknown.

Could you imagine the Jets announcing that they hired an inexperienced HC from college who doesn't come from offense and that he's bringing in some first-time OC who is the current Tight Ends coach in Chicago???  Doing that a year after you draft the best QB you've drafted in 30 years would be an absolute crime.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He certainly didn't develop Manning.  But I do like the fact that Gase has worked with a variety of QBs with diverse backgrounds and seems to have improved all of them.  Yes, evening Manning.  He took one of the best QBs in the history of the league and coached him to his best season.   

the whole thing about Peyton Manning is he called his own plays. was like having an OC on the field. 

Adam Gase an offensive genius had the 31st ranked offense this year.  

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rhule "turned around" a program of 18 and 19 yr old young men playing for free.  He gets to recruit 17 yr old in their parents' house.  That is in no way translatable to the NFL where the locker room is filled with 23+ yr old millionaires.

The Jets maybe the "Temple" of the NFL but the difference between working at Temple and the Jets is being a freshman in high school and being a doctor in the ER.

Rhule has no experience running a pro offense or running a defense.  So what precise "skill" will Rhule have used to turn around the Jets?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the whole thing about Peyton Manning is he called his own plays. was like having an OC on the field. 

Adam Gase an offensive genius had the 31st ranked offense this year.  

Can't argue with that but Peyton Manning has always called his own plays.  The offense ran better and was more productive when Gase was his OC.

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

None of that necessarily translates to the NFL.  Different culture.  Big ego, highly paid stars.  It's one thing to inspire 17-21 year olds and it's quite another dealing with the divas, narcissists, and whacked personalities in an NFL clubhouse.  Could Rhule turn around Trumaine Johnson?  Somehow I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

None of that necessarily translates to the NFL.  Different culture.  Big ego, highly paid stars.  It's one thing to inspire 17-21 year olds and it's quite another dealing with the divas, narcissists, and whacked personalities in an NFL clubhouse.  Could Rhule turn around Trumaine Johnson?  Somehow I doubt it.

These are all fair points. Rhule would not be able to turn around the divas, the narcissists and whacked personalities. 

but Adam Gase is throwing lighter fuel on the fire 

I don't know what meds they gave him this week to convince everyone he's mentally sound, but they are probably really good drugs. High priced. And now they are talking about bringing Gregg Williams in for DC? 

what a sh*t show 

Got to be honest, I can't believe the Jets were even considering Rhule (based on his resume). No way this fan base would approve of a college coach with limited success.

Gase had the 2nd best credentials out of all the available candidates. And he fits the mold of a brilliant, young QB guru that everyone seems to want these days.

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

Rhule "turned around" a program of 18 and 19 yr old young men playing for free.  He gets to recruit 17 yr old in their parents' house.  That is in no way translatable to the NFL where the locker room is filled with 23+ yr old millionaires.

The Jets maybe the "Temple" of the NFL but the difference between working at Temple and the Jets is being a freshman in high school and being a doctor in the ER.

Rhule has no experience running a pro offense or running a defense.  So what precise "skill" will Rhule have used to turn around the Jets?

Well, he apparently can heal the sick and raise the dead back to life.  That's kind of what the Jets need I guess.  If he can make the blind able to see things then maybe he could have cured many of our posters. :P

56 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Gase 100%. There is a body of work ypu can point to.

A poor body of work.

Give me the Devil you don't know over the Devil you do.  Especially since all reports suggested Rhule was one of our top 2 choices.

We went with our # 3 choice.  Unacceptable. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets are a program no one really wants to coach.

Not sure why people keep saying that when McCarthy wanted to come here, Gase obviously did and Rhule would've been here had Mac been willing to let him fill out his staff.

Stick to your Johnsons are cheap narrative, this one is verifiable  false. (at least this offseason)

Rhule was my #2 choice behind McCarthy, but I was assuming that the guy was going to surround himself with veteran NFL coaches (at least at OC and DC) to help him transition.

If what Jetsbb said is correct and Rhule was trying to fill out the most important positions on his staff with a bunch of assistant college coaches...then no f*cking way.

Rhule was a more fascinating choice, but Gase was much more of a safe bet. Honestly, he was probably the safest bet next to McCarthy.

We got an offensive minded coach with a reputation for working well with QB’s who is obviously trying to tab a top notch DC to oversee the other side of the ball. I’m not sure why so many are acting as if the sky is falling. If you’re a little disappointed, I get it. But this is far from a travesty.

Archived