Gase Fair Expectations

jetspenguin

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

To suggest that Woody was not at least counseled in all of this is vapid thinking.

I love my sister, but I do not put her in total charge of a billion dollar enterprise, unfettered.

Woody had nothing to do with this.  

You love your sister, give her the keys to watch your house then tell her shes not allowed in it?  Chris fired Bowles and was in the interviews, headed the search and what Woody made a phone interview?  The day to day running of the team is more important to the bottom line that which of the candidates were hired

Woody made it clear that the team was in Chris's hands.  He also said it was permanent, everyone keeps forgetting that

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You love your sister, give her the keys to watch your house then tell her shes not allowed in it?  Chris fired Bowles and was in the interviews, headed the search and what Woody made a phone interview?  

Woody made it clear that the team was in Chris's hands.  He also said it was permanent, everyone keeps forgetting that

I didnt hear the part about it being permanent but I love the sound of it. 

I just created a similar thread on the topic of Playoff Mandate so if a mod wants to merge, you can.

I believe the Playoff Mandate has to be real this year. I want to see growth with Darnold, but with an experienced HC and the stagnant culture, an 8-8 or 9-7 playoff miss season is not going to cut it - especially with the cap space and expectations of Gase as QB guru. His staff selection will be very important imo.

33 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Bowles- 2015, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Geno/Fitz at QB and they win 10 Games

Gase- 2019, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Darnold at QB.

What is a realistic win total for his first year that would convince you we hired the right guy?

I think I’ll wait till after free agency and the draft before making a prediction 

Realistically, 6 wins. We have a new offense and new defense coming in. Hopefully new actual talent (who knows who we draft/sign). I will assume we get some of the picks and FA right. (Not a ton of faith in Mac). This all adds up to 6 wins. I am sure there will be growing pains with all the new systems and players. One week it will be a defensive lapse the next an offensive lapse.

That being said if the players show improvement I will be fine with the process. If Mac does his usual draft he will be gone. If Gase blows up they are both gone. Regardless, it will be entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm sure he'll do "His" best.  But there's literally NO reason to believe his best is good enough to keep them competitive.

I get that this is the popular sentiment but I just don't completely agree. We don't have to sit here and rehash the arguments going on in 20 other threads... But when I dig deeper into his time in Miami and look past the W/L and offensive rankings I can find at least a few things to be optimistic about. People are acting like we hired the ghost of Marion Campbell... Gase has more upside and promise than people want to give him credit for right now. 

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You love your sister, give her the keys to watch your house then tell her shes not allowed in it?  Chris fired Bowles and was in the interviews, headed the search and what Woody made a phone interview?  The day to day running of the team is more important to the bottom line that which of the candidates were hired

She is allowed in the house, but not allowed to remodel without my ok.

He was counseled, for sure.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

She is allowed in the house, but not allowed to remodel without my ok.

He was counseled, for sure.

Yeah, he can make the mandate of what would or wouldnt get Bowles fired.  He can fire Bowles.  He can decide what characteristics or/and requirements they want in their next HC.  He can head the list of candidates to interview.  He can be in and a part of the interviews.  But he cant pick who replaces the man he fired.

Got it, thanks for the "job" bro.  Thanks for the trust and title

What people forget is guys like Woody are used to hiring and paying people to run their organizations.  

2 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I get that this is the popular sentiment but I just don't completely agree. We don't have to sit here and rehash the arguments going on in 20 other threads... But when I dig deeper into his time in Miami and look past the W/L and offensive rankings I can find at least a few things to be optimistic about. People are acting like we hired the ghost of Marion Campbell... Gase has more upside and promise than people want to give him credit for right now. 

I can say I'm calming down a bit...

But I would love to hear what those optimistic things are.  I've looked, hoping to find something and the deeper I dig the more problems I see.

I don't mean that sarcastically, I am truly interested to hear some good things about the guy - I would love to come around and not be miserable and furious about this hiring.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Woody owns the team, not Chris. The franchise is a significant % of his net value. If Woody was not in the loop, he’s a bigger idiot than we all think.

Just now, Vader said:

Woody owns the team, not Chris. The franchise is a significant % of his net value. If Woody was not in the loop, he’s a bigger idiot than we all think.

Chris IS a Minority Owner. He DOES own a percentage of the Jets but not s much as Wood Johnson the Elder

What people forget is guys like Woody are used to hiring and paying people to run their organizations.  

dude no one hands over an NFL team to their little brother no strings attached  

not even Woody is that dumb

if you don't believe it, ask yourself this, can he sell the team? NO, well he's not really THE owner.

what do the other owners see when they look at Chris Johnson. i'm sure it's colorful but i doubt they see him as a peer

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I can say I'm calming down a bit...

But I would love to hear what those optimistic things are.  I've looked, hoping to find something and the deeper I dig the more problems I see.

I don't mean that sarcastically, I am truly interested to hear some good things about the guy - I would love to come around and not be miserable and furious about this hiring.

there's a "positive on Adam Gase" thread it says things like he's a human being and has two arms and two legs 

seriously check it out it's inspiring stuff /s

You mean guys who are so dumb their dad sticks them in charge of the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers to keep them away from the family business?

Gase has HC experience(not learning on the job), has coached in the AFCE(familiar with the teams he faces 6 times a year), has a last place schedule, a young talented QB and a lot of cap room.

If the Jets don't make the playoffs in the next two years both he and Mac should be fired. If 2019 is a complete catastrophe(4-12, 3-13), a firing is justifiable.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

there's a "positive on Adam Gase" thread it says things like he's a human being and has two arms and two legs 

seriously check it out it's inspiring stuff /s

You could build a bot to produce pro-Gase posts. It just spits out random combinations of the phrases "innovative," "young," "quarterbacks," "head coaching experience," "offensive side of the ball," "no BS," and "Peyton Manning."

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

You could build a bot to produce pro-Gase posts. It just spits out random combinations of the phrases "innovative," "young," "quarterbacks," "head coaching experience," "offensive side of the ball," "no BS," and "Peyton Manning."

As if the botonti implementation would take more than an hr.

If the Jets trade their #1 pick for another team's 1st, 2d, and 3d round picks, hire Gregg Williams as DC, switch to a 4-3 and sign the following players: Sean Lee (cut by Dallas); Anthony Barr; either Demarcus Lawrence or Frank Clark;  Matt Paradis; Rodger Saffold; Ju'Waun James; and Kareem Hunt the 2019 New York Jets, under the maniacal guidance of Art Gase's son, will go 14-2.

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Well this is why I included the cap space....Mac's choices will go a long way to determining how many wins we have. I think to some degree none of these nincompoops will prevent Sam's development but if it doesnt translate to wins then we are treading water. 

Cap space goes quick when you only have 29 players under contract. We're going to have add someone big via trade this year to really add talent seems like free agency is weak outside of Bell as far as impact players go

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I fully expect to be looking for a new GM and Head Coach next offseason.

Nah, this year is a bye for Gase and Macc.  Can't judge them until they have all their guys in.  Next year they begin the rebuild.  After that, if it isn't going well, maybe you fire Gase and let Macc pick one last coach.

16 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Chris IS a Minority Owner. He DOES own a percentage of the Jets but not s much as Wood Johnson the Elder

Hear you. Don’t buy it though. This team is woodys team. It’s a significant part of Johnson Investment, Woody Johnson’s vehicle. CJ is running things for the family. Woody owns it.

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Bowles- 2015, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Geno/Fitz at QB and they win 10 Games

Gase- 2019, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Darnold at QB.

What is a realistic win total for his first year that would convince you we hired the right guy?

8 minimum.  Nothing less is acceptable.

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the Jets trade their #1 pick for another team's 1st, 2d, and 3d round picks, hire Gregg Williams as DC, switch to a 4-3 and sign the following players: Sean Lee (cut by Dallas); Anthony Barr; either Demarcus Lawrence or Frank Clark;  Matt Paradis; Rodger Saffold; Ju'Waun James; and Kareem Hunt the 2019 New York Jets, under the maniacal guidance of Art Gase's son, will go 14-2.

At this point, I would be fine with this, but I think 12-4 ?

seriously though

37 minutes ago, Vader said:

Again, thats not how it works.  Thats what you believe

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

dude no one hands over an NFL team to their little brother no strings attached  

not even Woody is that dumb

if you don't believe it, ask yourself this, can he sell the team? NO, well he's not really THE owner.

what do the other owners see when they look at Chris Johnson. i'm sure it's colorful but i doubt they see him as a peer

Glad you got that down.  

Youre right, CJ fired Bowles, retained Macc, elevated Heimerdinger, interviewed all the candidates, was in the room reading between the lines, watching reactions, reading personality and then didnt make the decision.  

That you actually believe hes the only CEO who runs a team and is in charge is laughable

41 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You mean guys who are so dumb their dad sticks them in charge of the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers to keep them away from the family business?

Which Little Lebowski Urban Achievers group did he beat you out for?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Glad you got that down.  

Youre right, CJ fired Bowles, retained Macc, elevated Heimerdinger, interviewed all the candidates, was in the room reading between the lines, watching reactions, reading personality and then didnt make the decision.  

That you actually believe hes the only CEO who runs a team and is in charge is laughable

Yes he is acting in the owners interest and maybe has some marginal stake financially. But finance doesn’t really work like how you are describing. 

Archived