Peyton Manning pushed Adam Gase to Jets finish line

stugotz81

Who would of thought Manning had Chris Johnson on speed dial

Peyton Manning pushed Adam Gase to Jets finish line
https://nypost.com/2019/01/10/peyton-manning-wanted-jets-to-hire-adam-gase/

It helps to have references when applying for a job. Adam Gase had an influential one.

Legendary quarterback Peyton Manning called Jets CEO Christopher Johnson on Tuesday night to recommend Gase for the team’s head-coaching opening. A day later, the Jets hired him.

Manning spent three seasons with Gase from 2012 to 2014 with the Broncos. Gase was the quarterbacks coach in the first season and the offensive coordinator in the final two years.

The two were part of a record-setting offense in 2013 that got all the way to the Super Bowl before a loss to the Seahawks at MetLife Stadium.

Manning and the Jets have a complicated history. He chose to stay in college at Tennessee in 1997 rather than enter the NFL draft when the Jets had the No. 1 overall pick. He also rebuffed advances from the Jets in 2012 when he became a free agent, ultimately landing with the Broncos.

Manning handed the Jets a painful loss in the AFC title game after the 2009 season, but the Jets beat his Colts a year later in the playoffs.

Manning had his best season, at age 37, under Gase with nearly 5500 yards and 55 TDs. 

The Broncos won the Super Bowl the year after Gase left, but Manning had dropped off significantly from the previous year and promptly retired. 

Peyton loves this dude.  He was around the Dolphins every now and then because of the relationship.

I'm sure no one is going to complain when Peyton shows up and training camp here and there to give Darnold some tips.

Perhaps he and Darnold will develop a mentor/mentoree relationship.

One can hope.

22 minutes ago, slats said:

Manning had his best season, at age 37, under Gase with nearly 5500 yards and 55 TDs. 

The Broncos won the Super Bowl the year after Gase left, but Manning had dropped off significantly from the previous year and promptly retired. 

earlier i was thinking "if we can get 2/3rds of that production..."

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Peyton loves this dude.  He was around the Dolphins every now and then because of the relationship.

I'm sure no one is going to complain when Peyton shows up and training camp here and there to give Darnold some tips.

One can hope.

If Peyton Manning said; if you hire Adam Gase, you get my consulting services along with him...that might be pretty friggin enticing but I highly doubt that happens.  I know he'd show up to a game here and there in Miami but I never heard him helping out Tannehill in camp.

Sounds more like he's doing a friend a favor.

Just now, MasterChiefJets said:

It took a Peyton Manning phone call to assist in Chris's decision? A QB who already had years of experience and who could have been a coach himself vouching for his friend? You can't make this stuff up.

You guys are ******* ridiculous.  

If they hadn't talked to PM about Gase, you'd be killing them for not talking to him.

Why wouldn't you call one of the greatest QBs of all time to get insight on an offensive coach he played under.

28 minutes ago, slats said:

That doesn't mean our owner should have been basing their hiring on what Peyton Manning had to say.  Does Peyton have any stake in the Jets' performance? 

Manning is a former QB.  He's not a coach or a front office exec.  He doesn't care that Gase alienated the non-QB's on his roster.  He only cares that he did well with Gase.

If Gase is so awesome with QB's, he should be the Offensive Coordinator or QB Coach.  Nothing Peyton had to say about Gase should have influenced him being the Head Coach. 

Despicable. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I actually mentioned this as a huge possibility in one of the Adam Gase thread.

I knew it. The Johnson's are so f'ing simple

On what level does this make any sense?

Youre saying what someone like PM thinks about Gase shouldnt carry any weight?

3 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

It took a Peyton Manning phone call to assist in Chris's decision? A QB who already had years of experience and who could have been a coach himself vouching for his friend? You can't make this stuff up.

Exactly.  

And now what?  The expectations are Gase has a similar impact on Darnold?  So now people are going to expect Manning-esque performances from him!!!

Just now, IndianaJet said:

You guys are ******* ridiculous.  

If they hadn't talked to PM about Gase, you'd be killing them for not talking to him.

Why wouldn't you call one of the greatest QBs of all time to get insight on an offensive coach he played under.

Because he's the least objective voice we could have listened to, and is further proof our owner is completely clueless and easily influenced by people he shouldn't be listening to.

Mike Maccagnan should have had zero say on this HC hire.  Much less Peyton f***ing Manning. 

Just now, DJF71 said:

Its official Peyton Manning hates the Jets.  He has screwed us twice.

Only twice?  Most people around here blame the staying in school thing with Parcells.  I'm more bothered by Tannenbaum's flirtation with Manning resulting in the Jets giving Sanchez a big unearned extension to salvage the delicate psyche of our starter and then the ridiculous trade for Tebow. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That doesn't mean our owner should have been basing their hiring on Peyton Manning.

Manning is the QB.  He's not a coach or a front office exec.  He doesn't care that Gase alienated the non-QB's on his roster.  He only cares that he did well with Gase.

If Gase is so awesome with QB's, he should be the Offensive Coordinator or QB Coach.  Nothing Peyton had to say about Gase should have influenced him being the Head Coach. 

Despicable. 

Are you trying to sell that they hired Gase solely on Mannings call?

And that makes the idea that Manning called CJ despicable?  OK

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That doesn't mean our owner should have been basing their hiring on Peyton Manning.

Manning is the QB.  He's not a coach or a front office exec.  He doesn't care that Gase alienated the non-QB's on his roster.  He only cares that he did well with Gase.

Despicable. 

Now we're gonna take the NY Post as gospel? 

I want them talking to as many people as they can, hear as much as they possibly can, and make the most informed decision. I have no problem with Peyton Manning being a part of that process. 

One can hope.

I would hire Peyton Manning as a head coach with zero experience whatsoever, NBA style.

There has never been a smarter football player.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Now we're gonna take the NY Post as gospel? 

I want them talking to as many people as they can, hear as much as they possibly can, and make the most informed decision. I have no problem with Peyton Manning being a part of that process.  

How much of the process?  Are we talking 5 %?  25 %?  75 %?

All we know is McCarthy and Rhule were widely being reported as the Top 2, and then suddenly it was down to Gase, with Monken as the backup plan.  So what happened?

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he's the least objective voice we could have listened to, and is further proof our owner is completely clueless and easily influenced by people he shouldn't be listening to.

Mike Maccagnan should have had zero say on this HC hire.  Much less Peyton f***ing Manning. 

So I guess youve never gone on a job interview and had them ask for references?  Because, you know, theyre not objective 

Now we've really left reality and logic in the rear view mirror

4 minutes ago, The Troll said:

I would hire Peyton Manning as a head coach with zero experience whatsoever, NBA style.

There has never been a smarter football player. 

That would make him a horrible coach.  Its hard for geniuses at their craft to teach the game to mere mortals.

It's the same reason Ted Williams was a terrible manager.  He was operating on a whole different level, and couldn't teach hitting to average guys. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All we know is McCarthy and Rhule were widely being reported as the Top 2, and then suddenly it was down to Gase, with Monken as the backup plan? 

So what happened?

ALl we know is that we know nothing.

That they wanted to know who Ruhl would bring in as his OC and they didnt like the choice to work with Sam doesnt mean he would have gotten the job with a different OC.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All we know is McCarthy and Rhule were widely being reported as the Top 2, and then suddenly it was down to Gase, with Monken as the backup plan.  So what happened?

Everyone was guessing the whole time? 

Again, I have no problem with Chris Johnson talking to Peyton Manning or anyone else. What's the alternative? Making an uninformed decision? 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Everyone was guessing the whole time? 

Again, I have no problem with Chris Johnson talking to Peyton Manning or anyone else. What's the alternative? Making an uninformed decision? 

Talking to him is fine.  But if they were contemplating McCarthy or Rhule and Peyton's influence pushed Gase to # 1, that's unacceptable. 

If we had Gase as our # 1 and Peyton's supported helped push us to that decision, I'd be cool with that.  But all the information we have at this time suggests that was NOT the case. 

We either made the right hire through a bad process OR we made the wrong hire through a bad process.  I don't think there's a convincing argument to be made that Gase' hiring was done "the right way". 

That would make him a horrible coach.  Its hard for geniuses at their craft to teach the game to mere mortals.
It's the same reason Ted Williams was a terrible manager.  He was operating on a whole different level, and couldn't teach hitting to average guys. 

Valid point, but I still think Peyton could make it work. Though I do struggle to think of a legendary player in any sport that was a good coach.

Lotsa overreacting on this thread.

the one positive i got out of this is that gase was with pm for 3 years. Thats a lot of time.

if pm gushed then gase couldnt have been the unlikeable dik he has been painted out to be miami. He must have been reasonable to work with

7 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Valid point, but I still think Peyton could make it work. Though I do struggle to think of a legendary player in any sport that was a good coach.

Bill Russell.  Though of course he was a Player-Coach and was still playing at a pretty high level in those final 2 seasons at the age of 34 and 35, respectively.

47 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah but Peyton Manning knows nothing about football 

Bill Russell.  Though of course he was a Player-Coach and was still playing at a pretty high level in those final 2 seasons at the age of 34 and 35, respectively.

Pete Rose may not have been a great manager, but he absolutely did not lack confidence.

2 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Pete Rose may not have been a great manager, but he absolutely did not lack confidence.

Yep, true.  He literally bet on himself as manager, lol.

Larry Bird also went 147-67 in his 3 seasons as a HC and won COY in 1998.

The NBA as a whole is a totally different game though.  Coaching matters far less than the other major sports unless you're a transcendent type like Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Larry Brown or Popovich.

Archived