Gase. Our Best Hire in a Decade. Reminds me of...

Shockwave

People Loved the Bowles Hire. It was terrible. About time the Jets had some balls and made a decision they knew people would hate. Great call.  

What stud coaches were available this offseason? None.

Love Arians but he's pushing 70. 

Monken? A whole lot of those stats were from the Bucs playing against prevent defense with a very good cast of Mike Evans, Godwin, Desean Jackson, OJ Howard and Winston/Fitzpatrick. He didn't even call the plays the whole season. 

Kingsbery? A very desperate attempt to find anyone that resembles Mcvay. He couldn't even get a college HC job this offseason after being fired.  

McCarthy? Would have been our absolute worst choice. He will likely NEVER be a head-coach in the NFL again. Another Chuck Pagano that hung around because of amazing QB play and average coaching. These are NOT some special coaches. Mccarthy luckily got to coach two generational talents while he was head-coach and both Favre and Rodgers were just as good without him. So if you want to give him credit for coaching Aaron Rodgers how could you possibly disregard how bad his relationship with Aaron Rodgers? How is that not a HUGE red flag ? 

He even detailed one instance in a game where Rodgers blatantly ignored the play that McCarthy sent into the huddle, simply because he didn’t like it.

“One time I really saw it for the first time, we were in the huddle. I guess McCarthy called in a play, and Aaron was kind of like, ‘Nah,’ ” Lewis said. “He gave a direction and a protection to the line, and went. It was a four-minute offense, he threw a 40-yard bomb for a completion. I’m like, ‘What’s really going on?’ I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life.”

You likely have seen the above but there are many other articles out there with HUGE red flags. This season there had to be 3-4 guys that basically did the communication between Rodgers and Mcarthy. Thats how bad it got. I don't see how anyone would want that around Darnold. Mccarthy ran an old stale offense for most of his time there and absolutely underperformed. With the talent they had there and an all world QB I think most people would agree only one title was a huge disappointment. 

Across talk radio and social media, McCarthy has been blamed for “wasting” Rodgers’s career, as the Packers have racked up regular-season wins but only one Super Bowl since Rodgers took over as the starter in 2008, that lone championship coming eight seasons ago.

On to The Man. Adam Gase. 

Still Super Young. 

Years Under Nick Saban. 

Finally we get a Guy with Head Coaching Experience. I can not stress how important this is. 

Yeah, this is not good news for the Dolphins, I say.

Because Gase is many things: He’s smart. Arrogant. Thoughtful. Knowledgeable.

And he’s a crazy man.

“Oh, I’m certifiable,” he said to me one time only half-kiddingly, “I just haven’t been diagnosed.”

https://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/miami-dolphins-underwhelming-overachieving-playoff-race-120418

The obvious goal this week will be to keep the score closer, and if the Dolphins do that, don’t discount their chances. In one-score games Gase is 6-1 this year, and 19-6 in his three seasons with the Dolphins.

19-6 in one score games is the among the best records in the NFL over that time for a head-coach. He has done that with piss poor talent, tons of injuries and Ryan Tannehill that has been hurt almost every season. 

Adam Gase Knows this division. He is young. He is alittle crazy.  He is very good in one score games. He takes NO sh*t from any of his players and is brilliant by all accounts. He just got his second head coaching job after leaving from a division rival after being a great coordinator. He now has a Franchise QB. He was the play caller for one of the best offenses in the history of football. His teams played much better than their talent level. 

Yes I'll say it. Lots of similarities to Bill Belichick getting hired in New England. Will he be him or remotely close to him as the greatest HC ever? No. Not even close. But theres a whole world of upside here people are not seeing in Gase as a HC. Especially if we get a good DC like Williams or Joseph.

It's about time our Front Office didn't cave into public perception and have some balls. Pleasantly surprised as This is VERY unlike the Jets of the last 10 years. 

Absolutely Killer Move. This team is going to improve a ton in the next few years. Tons of Cap space. Absolutely prime Draft position to Draft Quinnen or Trade Down to a team wanting Haskins. Great time to be a Jet Fan. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You overlook a lot of potential flaws, and I think you are way wrong about McCarthy never coaching again in the NFL.  But you make some points that, while debatable, aren't completely insane and offer some positivity, which isn't entirely horrible despite what some on this board may think.

Personally, if he can be a little bit more mature and even-keeled here, I think he has a chance.  Certainly we can't have done worse than we have for the last 4 years so by comparison, almost anyone will seem to be an improvement.  I'll be cautiously hopeful.

What nonsense.  "We must get guys with head coaching experience!'

"Mccarthy is the worst choice even though he has a super bowl and a excellent record and coaching resume!"

Instead we will take a guy with 'experience' with no resume of any accomplishment and an utter fail offensively which us why we hired him.'

Not sure what the difference is between todd bowles and gase.  Both have 'experience' both had lousy records, both were dreadful on their side of the ball.

At least with some of the riskier new guys you were getting a modern day innovative offense.  Miamis offense and Qb development were no more startling than anything mccarthy did.

Huge wasted opportunity and the brain trust get what they deserve, too bad we fans have to pay the price

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"Mccarthy is the worst choice even though he has a super bowl and a excellent record and coaching resume!"

Instead we will take a guy with 'experience' with no resume of any accomplishment and an utter fail offensively which us why we hired him.'

Not sure what the difference is between todd bowles and gase.  Both have 'experience' both had lousy records, both were dreadful on their side of the ball.

At least with some of the riskier new guys you were getting a modern day innovative offense.  Miamis offense and Qb development were no more startling than anything mccarthy did.

Huge wasted opportunity and the brain trust get what they deserve, too bad we fans have to pay the price

I am trying to find a positive and I simply can't. Certainly I will be rooting hard for the team to do as well as possible, but I just don't see it. Not that Tannehill was ever or could ever be great, but I never saw him squeeze the most out of him. I love some emotion but I HATE volatility. A controlled or valid explosion on the sidelines is one thing, but IMO, Gase is volatile. All we can do is hope for the best but I am expecting the worst. 

like parcells said you are what are your record says you are

McCarthy has a terrific record and resume-Gates has a terrible one

McCarthy's only flaw was in the end his diva qb that played poorly and took up a huge amount of the payroll wanted him gone so he could run the show

If  you were running a business and you had two guys to interview

guy one has a stellar resume-the organization he led reached the pinnacle of performance possible -the other has a record of avg to poor performance and has never led his organization to anything of substance-who do you want to take a chance on? a winner that has done it before and is super well respected or a loser that has never accomplished much and is not well thought of by his peers. In fact one of your main competitors actually just fired him.

Guys hyping Gates are the same guys that bough into probably ever other terrible hire and personal move the jets have made

McCarthy would have provided so much more than Gase will ever do.

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Philly went bokers when they hired Pederson? didnt know that.

Yep. It was covered by the media during the Philly SB run.  The fans and media hated the hire.  

Here's a link to an article on the other bad hot takes on the Pederson hire:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/11/the_7_stupidest_things_said_when_eagles_hired_doug.html

42 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

People Loved the Bowles Hire. It was terrible. About time the Jets had some balls and made a decision they knew people would hate. Great call.  

Monken? A whole lot of those stats were from the Bucs playing against prevent defense with a very good cast of Mike Evans, Godwin, Desean Jackson, OJ Howard and Winston/Fitzpatrick. He didn't even call the plays the whole season. 

Kingsbery? A very desperate attempt to find anyone that resembles Mcvay. He couldn't even get a college HC job this offseason after being fired.  

McCarthy? Would have been our absolute worst choice. He will likely NEVER be a head-coach in the NFL again. Another Chuck Pagano that hung around because of amazing QB play and average coaching. These are NOT some special coaches. Mccarthy luckily got to coach two generational talents while he was head-coach and both Favre and Rodgers were just as good without him. So if you want to give him credit for coaching Aaron Rodgers how could you possibly disregard how bad his relationship with Aaron Rodgers? How is that not a HUGE red flag ? 

You likely have seen the above but there are many other articles out there with HUGE red flags. This season there had to be 3-4 guys that basically did the communication between Rodgers and Mcarthy. Thats how bad it got. I don't see how anyone would want that around Darnold. Mccarthy ran an old stale offense for most of his time there and absolutely underperformed. With the talent they had there and an all world QB I think most people would agree only one title was a huge disappointment. 

Still Super Young. 

Years Under Nick Saban. 

Finally we get a Guy with Head Coaching Experience. I can not stress how important this is. 

https://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/miami-dolphins-underwhelming-overachieving-playoff-race-120418

19-6 in one score games is the among the best records in the NFL over that time for a head-coach. He has done that with piss poor talent, tons of injuries and Ryan Tannehill that has been hurt almost every season. 

Adam Gase Knows this division. He is young. He is alittle crazy.  He is very good in one score games. He takes NO sh*t from any of his players and is brilliant by all accounts. He just got his second head coaching job after leaving from a division rival after being a great coordinator. He now has a Franchise QB. He was the play caller for one of the best offenses in the history of football. His teams played much better than their talent level. 

Yes I'll say it. Lots of similarities to Bill Belichick getting hired in New England. Will he be him or remotely close to him as the greatest HC ever? No. Not even close. But theres a whole world of upside here people are not seeing in Gase as a HC. Especially if we get a good DC like Williams or Joseph.

It's about time our Front Office didn't cave into public perception and have some balls. Pleasantly surprised as This is VERY unlike the Jets of the last 10 years. 

Absolutely Killer Move. This team is going to improve a ton in the next few years. Tons of Cap space. Absolutely prime Draft position to Draft Quinnen or Trade Down to a team wanting Haskins. Great time to be a Jet Fan. 

i do not recognize the OP , so i wondered whether or not he's tryna goad you all on to lose your minds, tear your hair out, sacrifice goats and block times square with burning tires...

thailand-red-shirt-burning-tires-2.jpg

or actually thinbks Gase is the right dude...

so he is volatile in Miami but not in Denver when his offense is going bonkers...  that sorta makes sense...

42 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Still Super Young. 

Years Under Nick Saban. 

“I am certifiable” is disconcerting. 

This job, this city, can break you. And the taxes are not what they are in Miami.

9 minutes ago, kmnj said:

McCarthy's only flaw was in the end his diva qb that played poorly and took up a huge amount of the payroll wanted him gone so he could run the show

guy one has a stellar resume-the organization he led reached the pinnacle of performance possible -the other has a record of avg to poor performance and has never led his organization to anything of substance-who do you want to take a chance on? a winner that has done it before and is super well respected or a loser that has never accomplished much and is not well thought of by his peers. In fact one of your main competitors actually just fired him.

Guys hyping Gates are the same guys that bough into probably ever other terrible hire and personal move the jets have made

you are not to be taken seriously ....if you dont know why, please dont ask

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yep. It was covered by the media during the Philly SB run.  The fans and media hated the hire.  

Here's a link to an article on the other bad hot takes on the Pederson hire:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/11/the_7_stupidest_things_said_when_eagles_hired_doug.html

Everyone is a wannabe GM. These days. We have a couple hundred on this board. They all wanted the guy that is still unemployed 

42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You overlook a lot of potential flaws, and I think you are way wrong about McCarthy never coaching again in the NFL.  But you make some points that, while debatable, aren't completely insane and offer some positivity, which isn't entirely horrible despite what some on this board may think.

Personally, if he can be a little bit more mature and even-keeled here, I think he has a chance.  Certainly we can't have done worse than we have for the last 4 years so by comparison, almost anyone will seem to be an improvement.  I'll be cautiously hopeful.

Yeah McCarthy will be back. Could very well be in Pittsburgh next year if things go south again with Tomiln.

And one thing about the whole Rodgers changing the play cause he didn't like it. A four minute offense is and offense that is doing all it can to take time off the clock. Meaning short passes, runs, anything to keep the clock moving. That also says that the Packers were winning the game at the time as well. Rodgers didn't like the play and changed it to a 40 yard bomb. Now to me that sounds like a diva QB throwing a bit of tantrum because he didn't like the play call.

34 minutes ago, DLJ said:

This is the Doug pedersen hire all over again, except a year after philly fans called him the worst hire ever they hoisted a lombardi

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think we would all love to be wrong. We would all get behind Gase and build a statue of him in NYC if that happened. I think were all just very confused frustrated and downright scared of this dude and the many flaws that he has. This is the most important offseason weve had in a long long long long time. We have 3rd round pick, 100 mil in cap space, and a young franchise QB and we pass on MCCarthy for Gase. ?

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

8 teams needed a Head Coach. He got one Interview. He said he's not coaching this year because NO ONE wants him. 

The guy was available for a month and no one wanted him. Mike Mccarthy will never be a head coach again.

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The difference between Bowls and Gase is that Gase coached circles around Bowles to the tune of 5-1.

Gase is by no means the candidate everyone was hoping for. He has always done well with quarterbacks if  him and Sam get on the same page and Sam develops and improves over the next  several years then it's a win for us.  Hopefully he can keep the team intact and competitive, living down here in South Florida Gase always look super stressed.   I saw another poster mention it and he definitely had way too much BS to deal with, remember he had to deal with Tannenbaum, Greir and a whole slew of various front office staff members who had the  owner is ear. I will wait to see what he puts together staff wise,  (my number one choice is GW, VJ is not all that)  and player wise and the product on the field.

Im not making any excuses for the guy, and I am definitely not  excited about the higher but at least the focus is on Sam. Hopefully Mac focuses on putting the right personnel around Sam for him to succeed, which I have little to  no faith in.

7 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

8 teams needed a Head Coach. He got one Interview. He said he's not coaching this year because NO ONE wants him. 

The guy was available for a month and no one wanted him. Mike Mccarthy will never be a head coach again.

He will for sure be a head coach again, no question about it.

Just for what reason does Adam Gase with 3 years and no accomplishments other than his offense trending downwards and him failing to develop the guy he was hired to develop deserve the lofty praise while mccarthy deserves scorn.

35 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Bill Parcells first 3 years as a head coach he was 22-25-1. Gates was 23-25.

16 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Yeah McCarthy will be back. Could very well be in Pittsburgh next year if things go south again with Tomiln.

And one thing about the whole Rodgers changing the play cause he didn't like it. A four minute offense is and offense that is doing all it can to take time off the clock. Meaning short passes, runs, anything to keep the clock moving. That also says that the Packers were winning the game at the time as well. Rodgers didn't like the play and changed it to a 40 yard bomb. Now to me that sounds like a diva QB throwing a bit of tantrum because he didn't like the play call.

Just like Coughlin going to the Jags was going to put them over the top as world beaters.

The Jags don't have a QB , the Pack does , the Fins didn't , the Jets yes I'd like to believe so .

Coaches can't be simply evaluated by W-L .

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Still Super Young. 

Years Under Nick Saban. 

Apparently his record with Tannehill playing is 13-11.  People are not looking for facts, just a narrative

Archived