Gase. Our Best Hire in a Decade. Reminds me of...

Shockwave

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely right choice. He reminds me of Pete Carroll when he was our coach. Same enthusiasm, same desire to win. It didn’t work in New York for Pete (Mr Hess - I’m 80 years old .. Rich Kotite  ... ouch), nor dit it work in New England. But how did he do in Seattle? As a long suffering Jets fan I’m excited, because I do see something in Adam Gase that make me believe we can win with this guy. 

24 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Bill Parcells first 3 years as a head coach he was 22-25-1. Gates was 23-25.

luv me some data

interetsing too cos, well he wasnt HC when they drafted LT or carson  or simms...and never wins anything w/o BB as the DC..

hmm... 

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nothing personal to all the experts here,  but I'll go with Peyton Manning and Sam darnold on this one 

Why?  You have players on every team lauding their coach right before they're fired.  Players know NOTHING about what it means to be  a HC in the NFL.

If it's true that a call from Manning iced the Gase deal?   Then the Johnsons/Mcc are bigger idiots than I already believe.   Gase was the wrong hire and our upcoming record(s) will prove this out.

17 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why?  You have players on every team lauding their coach right before they're fired.  Players know NOTHING about what it means to be  a HC in the NFL.

If it's true that a call from Manning iced the Gase deal?   Then the Johnsons/Mcc are bigger idiots than I already believe.   Gase was the wrong hire and our upcoming record(s) will prove this out.

Show us your psychic powers, what exactly will the Jets record be this year,,,and if you see more than this years future,maybe the 2nd year also.

11 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Too many red flags with this guy. They should have hired Monken if they were unimpressed by McCarthy.

What bugs me - and granted, this is based on what's leaked - is that they weren't unimpressed with McCarthy.  There was no reporting of McCarthy blowing the interview, nor that after the interview he really turned all of them off with his lack of candor, knowledge, poor attitude, or whatever. None of that.

He was #1 on their list, but he didn't get the job because of one or more of: (1) wanted a sort of veto power over Maccagnan; (2) wanted more money than the others; (3) Maccagnan eventually didn't want him, and quite possibly/probably due to reason #1; (4) they let Gase-buddy Peyton act as a heavily biased tiebreaker. 

He may end up being a great hire for all we know, and I'd rather the Jets are lucky than good in terms of hiring the right one, but the reasoning/process behind the decision seems facepalm-ish.

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Monken? A whole lot of those stats were from the Bucs playing against prevent defense with a very good cast of Mike Evans, Godwin, Desean Jackson, OJ Howard and Winston/Fitzpatrick. He didn't even call the plays the whole season. 

Im not necessarily advocating for Monken here, but one thing I absolutely HATE is this "Prevent Defense" comment every time someone wants to discredit production without having ever seen the games.

Also, when has it become a crime to have a "very good cast"? Either they have a very good cast or it was all based on Prevent Defense. 

You can watch that 1st Bucs/Saints game week 1, the Eagles game week 2, The Redskins game week 10. Matter of fact, the Bucs offense was putting it on the Redskins but Fitzception was of course being Fitzception with the turnovers. But continuing, both Bucs/Falcon games as well as Bucs/Cowboys. 

My point here, if you watched those games you will see a Bucs offense that could constantly move the ball as well as put their favorable targets in one-on-one situations. It was usually Fitz or Winston messing things up with boneheaded turnovers. But one thing thoughout all of those games you rarely if ever saw...Prevent Defense. 

The only game where I seen Prevent Defense early in the 2nd half was the Bucs/Steelers game, but by the 4th quarter they had to go back to actually playing defense because they completely squandered the lead they had. 

Blaming phantom prevent defense is just a lazy criticism in an effort to sling mud. Monken did a great job out there in Tampa. Unfortunately he had Ryan Fitztragic and Jameis Winston as QBs

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

People Loved the Bowles Hire. It was terrible. About time the Jets had some balls and made a decision they knew people would hate. Great call.  

What stud coaches were available this offseason? None.

Love Arians but he's pushing 70. 

Monken? A whole lot of those stats were from the Bucs playing against prevent defense with a very good cast of Mike Evans, Godwin, Desean Jackson, OJ Howard and Winston/Fitzpatrick. He didn't even call the plays the whole season. 

Kingsbery? A very desperate attempt to find anyone that resembles Mcvay. He couldn't even get a college HC job this offseason after being fired.  

McCarthy? Would have been our absolute worst choice. He will likely NEVER be a head-coach in the NFL again. Another Chuck Pagano that hung around because of amazing QB play and average coaching. These are NOT some special coaches. Mccarthy luckily got to coach two generational talents while he was head-coach and both Favre and Rodgers were just as good without him. So if you want to give him credit for coaching Aaron Rodgers how could you possibly disregard how bad his relationship with Aaron Rodgers? How is that not a HUGE red flag ? 

You likely have seen the above but there are many other articles out there with HUGE red flags. This season there had to be 3-4 guys that basically did the communication between Rodgers and Mcarthy. Thats how bad it got. I don't see how anyone would want that around Darnold. Mccarthy ran an old stale offense for most of his time there and absolutely underperformed. With the talent they had there and an all world QB I think most people would agree only one title was a huge disappointment. 

On to The Man. Adam Gase. 

Still Super Young. 

Years Under Nick Saban. 

Finally we get a Guy with Head Coaching Experience. I can not stress how important this is. 

https://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/miami-dolphins-underwhelming-overachieving-playoff-race-120418

19-6 in one score games is the among the best records in the NFL over that time for a head-coach. He has done that with piss poor talent, tons of injuries and Ryan Tannehill that has been hurt almost every season. 

Adam Gase Knows this division. He is young. He is alittle crazy.  He is very good in one score games. He takes NO sh*t from any of his players and is brilliant by all accounts. He just got his second head coaching job after leaving from a division rival after being a great coordinator. He now has a Franchise QB. He was the play caller for one of the best offenses in the history of football. His teams played much better than their talent level. 

Yes I'll say it. Lots of similarities to Bill Belichick getting hired in New England. Will he be him or remotely close to him as the greatest HC ever? No. Not even close. But theres a whole world of upside here people are not seeing in Gase as a HC. Especially if we get a good DC like Williams or Joseph.

It's about time our Front Office didn't cave into public perception and have some balls. Pleasantly surprised as This is VERY unlike the Jets of the last 10 years. 

Absolutely Killer Move. This team is going to improve a ton in the next few years. Tons of Cap space. Absolutely prime Draft position to Draft Quinnen or Trade Down to a team wanting Haskins. Great time to be a Jet Fan. 

If you can't speak Kingsbury properly, you can't be taken seriously...

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Monken was never a serious candidate.  Hes having trouble even getting an oc job.  

McCarthy and Rhule didnt want the job under the terms it was offered.

I wasnt a gase fan but he was the best available.  

I think what quashed the McCarthy hire was he wanted too much power and say over the roster, which given Mac's track record they should have given him. I will give Gase the benefit of the doubt, but if he stumbles out the gate, it is over for me as a Jets fan. Can't take it no more, this never ending search for respectability. It shouldn't be this hard.

38 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Show us your psychic powers, what exactly will the Jets record be this year,,,and if you see more than this years future,maybe the 2nd year also.

5-10-1 in 2019.  Mcc is fired.  Then, again, instead of hiring a director of football operations, the Johnson Twits retain Gase and hire another GM.    Our record in 2020 is 4-12, which results in Gase's firing.  Yet, the Johnson Twits retain the GM who restarts the cycle of hiring another HC, and on into perpetuity.

EDIT:  I changed it from 6-10 to 5-10-1.  I figured were due for a tie.

50 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

5-10-1 in 2019.  Mcc is fired.  Then, again, instead of hiring a director of football operations, the Johnson Twits retain Gase and hire another GM.    Our record in 2020 is 4-12, which results in Gase's firing.  Yet, the Johnson Twits retain the GM who restarts the cycle of hiring another HC, and on into perpetuity.

EDIT:  I changed it from 6-10 to 5-10-1.  I figured were due for a tie.

Lol,,hope your wrong,,,if you are I will remember these predictions..

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not necessarily advocating for Monken here, but one thing I absolutely HATE is this "Prevent Defense" comment every time someone wants to discredit production without having ever seen the games.

Also, when has it become a crime to have a "very good cast"? Either they have a very good cast or it was all based on Prevent Defense. 

You can watch that 1st Bucs/Saints game week 1, the Eagles game week 2, The Redskins game week 10. Matter of fact, the Bucs offense was putting it on the Redskins but Fitzception was of course being Fitzception with the turnovers. But continuing, both Bucs/Falcon games as well as Bucs/Cowboys. 

My point here, if you watched those games you will see a Bucs offense that could constantly move the ball as well as put their favorable targets in one-on-one situations. It was usually Fitz or Winston messing things up with boneheaded turnovers. But one thing thoughout all of those games you rarely if ever saw...Prevent Defense. 

The only game where I seen Prevent Defense early in the 2nd half was the Bucs/Steelers game, but by the 4th quarter they had to go back to actually playing defense because they completely squandered the lead they had. 

Blaming phantom prevent defense is just a lazy criticism in an effort to sling mud. Monken did a great job out there in Tampa. Unfortunately he had Ryan Fitztragic and Jameis Winston as QBs

Watched a ton of their games. Have Evans.

1- How often were they down a ton of points and needed to force the issue on offense? Down 14? More? Pretty often. It was shootouts all year against sh*tty defenses. Tampa had the 3rd easiest schedule against Defenses in the NFL. 

2- Monken did not do anything magical for Winston who should be a stud by now. Instead Winston got benched. Why would I trust Darnold to him? Especially when darnold may have the same turnover issues Winston has.

3- Monken didn’t even call plays the whole season. Keotter did at times. 

4- Sure Tampa has gaudy stats. But they faced sh*tty defenses all season. They were 12th in DVOA as an offense. 

Monken at first looks appealing bc of those gaudy stats but the more you break him down he needs to prove alot more before he gets a HC gig. Hence why he got a few HC interviews but got passed up- Hes now hoping for an OC job which is wayyy more appropiate. Its arguable that Koetter Was the brain there and why he was hired immedietly back to Atlanta. 

We had no amazing choices this year. But out of the available guys the Jets killed it. Very happy about gase. Now lets land Williams and talk playoffs. 

28 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

1- How often were they down a ton of points and needed to force the issue on offense? Down 14? More? Pretty often. It was shootouts all year against sh*tty defenses. Tampa had the 3rd easiest schedule against Defenses in the NFL. 

2- Monken did not do anything magical for Winston who should be a stud by now. Instead Winston got benched. Why would I trust Darnold to him? Especially when darnold may have the same turnover issues Winston has.

4- Sure Tampa has gaudy stats. But they faced sh*tty defenses all season. They were 12th in DVOA as an offense. 

Monken at first looks appealing bc of those gaudy stats but the more you break him down he needs to prove alot more before he gets a HC gig. Hence why he got a few HC interviews but got passed up- Hes now hoping for an OC job which is wayyy more appropiate. Its arguable that Koetter Was the brain there and why he was hired immedietly back to Atlanta. 

We had no amazing choices this year. But out of the available guys the Jets killed it. Very happy about gase. Now lets land Williams and talk playoffs. 

You said prevent defenses, that's not what they were facing during the majority of their offensive stats accumulation. That's all I was addressing. So if you watched those games then you know im correct. 

I never miss an opportunity to take shots at Fitz, but I cant sit here and act like he and Winston was behind so badly in every game that all they did was throw the ball underneath the defense and were getting cheap stats. That's not what happened. They were out there flinging the ball, but with that came a ton of INTs due to poor decision making and errand throws

They weren't facing prevent the way you portrayed it. 

C'mon

9 hours ago, Shockwave said:

People Loved the Bowles Hire. It was terrible. About time the Jets had some balls and made a decision they knew people would hate. Great call.  

What stud coaches were available this offseason? None.

Love Arians but he's pushing 70. 

Kingsbery? A very desperate attempt to find anyone that resembles Mcvay. He couldn't even get a college HC job this offseason after being fired.  

McCarthy? Would have been our absolute worst choice. He will likely NEVER be a head-coach in the NFL again. Another Chuck Pagano that hung around because of amazing QB play and average coaching. These are NOT some special coaches. Mccarthy luckily got to coach two generational talents while he was head-coach and both Favre and Rodgers were just as good without him. So if you want to give him credit for coaching Aaron Rodgers how could you possibly disregard how bad his relationship with Aaron Rodgers? How is that not a HUGE red flag ? 

You likely have seen the above but there are many other articles out there with HUGE red flags. This season there had to be 3-4 guys that basically did the communication between Rodgers and Mcarthy. Thats how bad it got. I don't see how anyone would want that around Darnold. Mccarthy ran an old stale offense for most of his time there and absolutely underperformed. With the talent they had there and an all world QB I think most people would agree only one title was a huge disappointment. 

On to The Man. Adam Gase. 

Still Super Young. 

Years Under Nick Saban. 

Finally we get a Guy with Head Coaching Experience. I can not stress how important this is. 

https://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/miami-dolphins-underwhelming-overachieving-playoff-race-120418

19-6 in one score games is the among the best records in the NFL over that time for a head-coach. He has done that with piss poor talent, tons of injuries and Ryan Tannehill that has been hurt almost every season. 

Adam Gase Knows this division. He is young. He is alittle crazy.  He is very good in one score games. He takes NO sh*t from any of his players and is brilliant by all accounts. He just got his second head coaching job after leaving from a division rival after being a great coordinator. He now has a Franchise QB. He was the play caller for one of the best offenses in the history of football. His teams played much better than their talent level. 

Yes I'll say it. Lots of similarities to Bill Belichick getting hired in New England. Will he be him or remotely close to him as the greatest HC ever? No. Not even close. But theres a whole world of upside here people are not seeing in Gase as a HC. Especially if we get a good DC like Williams or Joseph.

It's about time our Front Office didn't cave into public perception and have some balls. Pleasantly surprised as This is VERY unlike the Jets of the last 10 years. 

Absolutely Killer Move. This team is going to improve a ton in the next few years. Tons of Cap space. Absolutely prime Draft position to Draft Quinnen or Trade Down to a team wanting Haskins. Great time to be a Jet Fan. 

if this needs to be written to defend the hire maybe we hired the wrong guy. Seriously wtf the guy had a loosing record and turned players offthe basic difference between bowles and his record is Bowles could win against himself 5 times.

I keep on hearing about the stale offense he ran I am willing tio bet that if rodgers was not hurt that team would have made the playoffs this yr. If it works you do not change it up too much.you put wrinkles in and most fans would not notice them no matter how astute unless you review every play from every game

51 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Winston benched himself when got suspended for 4 games then Fitz went on a hot streak threw 4 interception they put winston in cold and thenplayed qb roulette

23 hours ago, GaryM said:

Better yet, tell me what the next power ball winning numbers are 

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

With whom at QB though? Was is the guy the texans paid then traded a high pick for another team to take him?

Gase with Manning has a record setting season — deserves 0 credit 

Gase with scrubs like Osweiler, Tannehill— should have won multiple super bowls

I ripped into Gase on this thread but........................................

Walter Football loves the hire.

http://walterfootball.com/coachfirehire.php

Jets hire HC Adam Gase: A+ Grade 
This is the best hire of this offseason. Adam Gase, once called the "next Bill Belichick" by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, coached two of three seasons in Miami with his starting quarterback healthy. In those two seasons, Gase took the Dolphins took the playoffs once and had them in postseason contention in the other before Ryan Tannehill got banged up during a victory against the Patriots and was never the same after that. Tannehill, by the way, was one of the worst starters at his position in the NFL. It was quite amazing and impressive that Gase was able to keep the Dolphins in contention despite not having a viable quarterback. 

This won't be a problem with the Jets. Gase will be able to coach Sam Darnold. This seems like a great fit. Gase has coached up bad quarterbacks to play well, and average quarterbacks to perform on a somewhat high level. 

Gase will be able to help Darnold take the next step. This is a fantastic hire, fully worthy of an A+.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:32 AM, Charlie Brown said:

I ripped into Gase on this thread but........................................

Walter Football loves the hire.

http://walterfootball.com/coachfirehire.php

Jets hire HC Adam Gase: A+ Grade 
This is the best hire of this offseason. Adam Gase, once called the "next Bill Belichick" by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, coached two of three seasons in Miami with his starting quarterback healthy. In those two seasons, Gase took the Dolphins took the playoffs once and had them in postseason contention in the other before Ryan Tannehill got banged up during a victory against the Patriots and was never the same after that. Tannehill, by the way, was one of the worst starters at his position in the NFL. It was quite amazing and impressive that Gase was able to keep the Dolphins in contention despite not having a viable quarterback. 

This won't be a problem with the Jets. Gase will be able to coach Sam Darnold. This seems like a great fit. Gase has coached up bad quarterbacks to play well, and average quarterbacks to perform on a somewhat high level. 

Gase will be able to help Darnold take the next step. This is a fantastic hire, fully worthy of an A+.

This went largely unnoticed.  And Walter Football has not been shy in the last decade or so about writing how the Jets are a joke.  Nice read.  THanks for posting.  Should get its own thread.

Archived