Jump to content
southtown24th

Francesa Says...

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

OK, and how is that better?

Morons get fired.

Smart folks see their way out the door PRIOR to getting fired.

Google it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Have no idea what the truth is, but that text exchange doesn't prove anything either way.

It’s also a very weird thing journalistically for a beat writer to develop a texting relationship with someone who is supposed to be holding accountable. 

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Making a blind assumption that $100M in cap gets us help at WR, OL, and DE I can see us going 10-6 next year as this feels like a 2015 caliber roster to me-  except instead of Bowles/Fitzpatrick we've got Gase/Darnold which is a significant improvement.  Our existing Crowell is better than Ivory,

We need a WR combo better than Decker/Marshall, not impossible.  Special teams is better than '15.  Harris was old, Revis was on his last legs, we're not that far off.

SAR I

100 million and this FA class isn’t going to plug all of the holes. Not even close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Francesa made a a point of saying how important the D coordinator position can be (as others have said here), and how it would be a bargain to have either Willimias or Joseph, because you are getting guys that were head coaches, and will have a far greater understanding of what the entire job entails, making it easier on HC.

Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It’s also a very weird thing journalistically for a beat writer to develop a texting relationship with someone who is supposed to be holding accountable. 

I believe he's a columnist, not a beat writer, so there's a little more leeway there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Supposedly, Gase will have power over hiring his staff

Which is interesting because he seems like a real dbag.  I guess that's never stopped BB from hiring a great staff but still, you wonder what type of staff he can assemble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I believe he's a columnist, not a beat writer, so there's a little more leeway there.

Not really. If you’re covering anything and you need to be critical as part of your job, then you need to stay above board with the relationship of the person you’re covering. It’s journalism 101. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Finally.  This is a great day for Jets fans.  It's okay to be excited and optimistic.

SAR I

Welcome back Sar I

Let’s hope you won’t have to add another picture to your rookie head coach hall of shame for a long time.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Which is interesting because he seems like a real dbag.  I guess that's never stopped BB from hiring a great staff but still, you wonder what type of staff he can assemble.

 

Parcells was a real dbag too. 

If I am hired on a staff, I want to mostly know:

-How autonomous am I going to be in developing game plans and working with my team

-Salary

-What is the reporting structure and will you protect us?

I have worked for dbags in my career, and learned a lot. You just have to remember what they are, and realize that work does not have to be a family. Just help me grow and give me opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Supposedly, Gase forced his way out partly because he viewed 3 teams without coaches that had future qbs.

Leave it to your own devices whether that is a guy you want........

 

Not a Gase fan....not even close, but willing to give it a chance....to your point, there was a certain HC of the NYJ who shot his way out of his contractual obligation and that worked out pretty well for him and his new team, so who knows.   If it works than sure I am ok with that guy coaching my team.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not really. If you’re covering anything and you need to be critical as part of your job, then you need to stay above board with the relationship of the person you’re covering. It’s journalism 101. 

As a journalist myself, I can tell you there's a difference. Beat reporters are supposed to be as objective as humanely possible because of the nature of their coverage and they need to keep sources at arms length. Columnists, on the other hand, are paid to give their opinion. It's not unusual for them to have closer relationships with sources. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not really. If you’re covering anything and you need to be critical as part of your job, then you need to stay above board with the relationship of the person you’re covering. It’s journalism 101. 

That method of journalism got thrown out with Watergate. Great journalists create sources, dig for news and at times create pieces that may flatter certain aspects within bounds that may help them down the road.

Attentive and educated readers should be able to sort the crap from the fluff. Just the way of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

As a journalist myself, I can tell you there's a difference. Beat reporters are supposed to be as objective as humanely possible because of the nature of their coverage and they need to keep sources at arms length. Columnists, on the other hand, are paid to give their opinion. It's not unusual for them to have closer relationships with sources. 

I, too, am a journalist. And while you’re correct their different, the fact is columnists  aren’t really journalists, are they? They aren’t reporting the news they’re giving opinion. That’s not journalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

That method of journalism got thrown out with Watergate. Great journalists create sources, dig for news and at times create pieces that may flatter certain aspects within bounds that may help them down the road.

Attentive and educated readers should be able to sort the crap from the fluff. Just the way of the world.

No journalist should be “creating pieces”. It’s either news or it isn’t. And there is way more fluff now than there should be. Grumble, grumble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scott Dierking said:

That method of journalism got thrown out with Watergate. Great journalists create sources, dig for news and at times create pieces that may flatter certain aspects within bounds that may help them down the road.

Attentive and educated readers should be able to sort the crap from the fluff. Just the way of the world.

I have no idea what you mean by "that method." And the standards of journalism during the Watergate era are alive and well, thank you. All the guy did was exchange a friendly text. You don't think columnists like Peter King, Albert Breer and countless others don't exchange similar types of texts with sports professionals? Expressing sorrow for someone you deal with on a professional basis getting fired is not dirty journalism. It's a common courtesy. Nothing wrong with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BroadwayRay said:

I have no idea what you mean by "that method." And the standards of journalism during the Watergate era are alive and well, thank you. All the guy did was exchange a friendly text. You don't think columnists like Peter King, Albert Breer and countless others don't exchange similar types of texts with sports professionals? Expressing sorrow for someone you deal with on a professional basis getting fired is not dirty journalism. It's a common courtesy. Nothing wrong with it.

All of that was my point. Sometimes good reporters need to get in bed with their sources. I t is natural. The reader just has to be aware they do not get any of the spray from that arrangement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

 

One way I've been consoling myself about all this is laughing at "interesting character," which is the most Francesa reaction possible. It's even better if you imagine it in his voice.

Let's remember Francesa's MO here.  He doesn't like to be wrong or admit being wrong.  If he came out and said Gase was a horrible hire, that there were 3-4 guys better than Gase and then the Jets start winning because of Darnold (even in spite of Gase) then Mike looks like an idiot.  I believe Francesa is a really big Darnold fan and thinks the kid is a winner....regardless of the coach.  With the Patriots' days numbered and a QB like Darnold with the Jets I don't think Mike wants to hear replays of him poo-pooing the hiring of Gase if the Jets are winning division titles in 2-3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I, too, am a journalist. And while you’re correct their different, the fact is columnists  aren’t really journalists, are they? They aren’t reporting the news they’re giving opinion. That’s not journalism.

I would say that true professional columnists are indeed journalists. When I worked in the newspaper business, they had to adhere to the same ethics and standards as beat reporters. Things are different now, though, because anyone with a twitter account can present themselves as journalists and there really are no rules in social media.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

I would say that true professional columnists are indeed journalists. When I worked in the newspaper business, they had to adhere to the same ethics and standards as beat reporters. Things are different now, though, because anyone with a twitter account can present themselves as journalists and there really are no rules in social media.

Well with all of the attacks on our profession, I don’t think a columnist who likely had to write a piece on Gase should be texting him sorry you lost your job. I don’t find that professional. That means he feels some empathy towards his subject and that’s a slippery slope. Now he could be accused of going to hard on management or too soft on Gase. Just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Gase isn't the gloom and doom dumpster fire pick that some are suggesting here, but he's not the "WOW this guy is THE man and I love it" pick either.    

 

Adam Gase is like when you get into the safety school. It's technically a school but no one wanted it this way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gase leaves miami because they did not have the talent to win now!

Gase goes to the ny jets......because....

S-A-M     D-A-R-N-O-L-D

d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Possibly.  I mean we know mike hated the jets when rex/tanny/idzik was there but has become much more friendly since Macc arrived.  I do agree that Gase can coach but he needs to make changes and maybe needed to be humbled a bit.  

Macc sends him cases of Diet Coke regularly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Well with all of the attacks on our profession, I don’t think a columnist who likely had to write a piece on Gase should be texting him sorry you lost your job. I don’t find that professional. That means he feels some empathy towards his subject and that’s a slippery slope. Now he could be accused of going to hard on management or too soft on Gase. Just my opinion. 

Nah, it’s really not like that. Reporters aren’t robots—they’re allowed to be human, to a limit. Obviously, sleeping with a source crosses a line. Sharing a meal or extending common courtesies, as with this text, is perfectly alright, and actually what good reporters do to cultivate sources and conduct their business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Um, I have yet to see a photo of this guy without a baseball cap. Does he wear it to bed at night?

Wife looks like Courtney Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jack48 said:

S-A-M     D-A-R-N-O-L-D

d

He went to miami to take tannehill to the next level.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Nah, it’s really not like that. Reporters aren’t robots—they’re allowed to be human, to a limit. Obviously, sleeping with a source crosses a line. Sharing a meal or extending common courtesies, as with this text, is perfectly alright, and actually what good reporters do to cultivate sources and conduct their business. 

Well I guess we’ll just agree to disagree. In this particular situation it’s a grey area. Obviously you need to cultivate sources in many ways. I don’t know where you work and I don’t need to know, but, yeah I would never advise someone to write a sorry you didn’t get elected or got fired or resigned or whatever text and then have them do a story on that news. That’s not above board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I like Rhule and what he can be. But, you "grow" on someone elses dime.

I think Rhule is growing on me.  But he’s having growing pains

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He went to miami to take tannehill to the next level.

He did.  Tannehill could never make a playoffs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He went to miami to take tannehill to the next level.

but Tannehill is Tannehill.  He actually was pretty good first year.  Hurt second year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I do think Gase can be a good coach but he needs to learn from his mistakes. As for Francesa he is a fan of Maccagnan(because he repaired the damaged relationship between the Jets and himself) so he think Maccagnan is gonna be successful despite the poor drafting ahd free agent signings

Also-thinks Captain Smith did a great job spare that one iceberg. As they say, YOU HAD ONE JOB!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

His wife looks like Courtney Cox.

Hey, Adam, swing by CVS on the way home. WTF are you, Cro? Give the little lady a night off from now and then. In about 10 years, between college tuitions and auto insurance the Gase family will be living in a fridge box if he doesn;t have one of these NFL jobs. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mike said this a few days ago and there was quote posted today on this forum that Ross basically told Gase that they were rebuilding (meaning they will want to tank) and Gase was not having any of it which lead to the firing. 
In other words, he wasn't fired because he was a bad head coach. 

Yep, that's what was reported in the Miami papers at the time.  Gase had control of roster.   Ross told him they were going to re-build, Gase said no, Ross insisted, Gase said it was in his contract and Ross would have to fire, and pay him.  Ross did.

If people think the Johnsons are bad, they haven't followed Ross.  Guy's a total tool

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mike said this a few days ago and there was quote posted today on this forum that Ross basically told Gase that they were rebuilding (meaning they will want to tank) and Gase was not having any of it which lead to the firing. 
In other words, he wasn't fired because he was a bad head coach. 

This is true, technically. But the team quit, Reshad Jones literally walked off the field during a game, he kind of didn’t rehabilitate Tannehill’s career and so kind of failed at that, and they got blown out a ton. There were issues with that team. It’s not clear how much was his fault but some if not most Is the buck that stops at his desk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Vader said:

This is true, technically. But the team quit, Reshad Jones literally walked off the field during a game, he kind of didn’t rehabilitate Tannehill’s career and so kind of failed at that, and they got blown out a ton. There were issues with that team. It’s not clear how much was his fault but some if not most Is the buck that stops at his desk.

Absolutely. Gase got fired because he couldn't fix Tannehill and didn't win enough. 

Now the question is whether they lost because Gase was a bad coach or because the team lacked the talent/QB to win with any coach? 

We will find out. But again, there are always questions surrounding new coaches. If there weren't they would have already been a coach somewhere else or wouldn't have gotten fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...