Gregg Williams being considered

Joe Jets fan

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

Vance Joseph is interviewing for the Cardinals so let's hope he goes there. Last time he was DC, his defense was ranked 29th. No thanks.

I want nothing to do with him. We annihilated the Broncos this past season. I believe we had a couple long touchdowns and the Broncos’ defense never had control. 

We need Williams. It’s truly amazing what he did with that team last year. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Drums said:

Vance Joseph is interviewing for the Cardinals so let's hope he goes there. Last time he was DC, his defense was ranked 29th. No thanks.

The last time he went against Tim Brown wasn't so pretty either.

1 hour ago, Young Jetty said:

Vance Joseph didnt get the Bengals job so he is probably coming here.

he has been a good DC. Don't judge him by his HC failure in Denver and don't judge him for being a terrible in that Oakaland game against the Jets when he was burned by Tim Brown for 4,372 yards in receptions and 17 TDs in the first half.   

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

A guy like Williams could potentially save a guy like (Leonard) Williams’ career imo. Darron Lee might actually finally scheme fit too

He would probably help Leo but I'm still not paying him 14 mil next season with a long term contract on the horizon. I'd rather we get a pick for him and use the money elsewhere.

As for Lee I don't think there's any hope. The good news is our new DC will not feel forced to play him over better players.  

21 minutes ago, papz187 said:

I prefer a 3-4 but if we're going in a 4-3 direction than Williams would be a great hire IMO....love the aggression his defenses play with!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If we can find a true big-bodied NT to gobble up a pair of OLinemen I'd really like to see what a 4-3 could look like here.  I think Leo inside would be better than we've ever seen.  Move Jenkins to one DE spot and draft a guy like Clelin Ferrell on the other.  You can rotate Henry Anderson and others on that line.

Best of all, we reduce the need to put 4 LBs on the field.  We'd probably be stuck with Lee for another year but put him on the Weakside LB spot, Avery at MLB and then rotate somebody else on the strong side.....or keep Jenkins at strong side LB and put Henry Anderson at 4-3 DE (not ideal but I think having him opposite somebody like Clelin Ferrell would be okay).  We might be surprised at how well Leo does inside in this arrangement.

26 minutes ago, RobR said:

I think we would see either Jenkins or Copeland, but not both at the same time. We'd be awfully light with both of them playing 4-3 end.

I'm also wishing that we are not contemplating where to play Lee and just move on. 

there is also the pick I hope allen falls to us we do not need another defensive tackle

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Here’s your starting front 7 with Williams imo

DE Free agent or Draft pick 

DT Shepard/McClendon

DT Williams

DE Jenkins 

WLB Lee

MLB Williamson

SLB Luvu 

You were succinct.  I posted almost the same arrangement but was much more verbose....at the same exact time.  I guess I have something in common with our most atrocious poster.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How often (if ever) has Jenkins played down in a 3-point stance?

He can still stand up as a 4-3 end depending on what's called. He's also big enough that he should be able to play in that position and stick his hand in the dirt. 

1 minute ago, RobR said:

He can still stand up as a 4-3 end depending on what's called. He's also big enough that he should be able to play in that position and stick his hand in the dirt. 

Henry Anderson led the team in sacks (8) from a 3-4 DE spot.  Is it THAT horrible to project him as a 4-3 DE?  I kinda like the idea of big-bodied Anderson lined up against a RT.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Henry Anderson led the team in sacks (8) from a 3-4 DE spot.  Is it THAT horrible to project him as a 4-3 DE?  I kinda like the idea of big-bodied Anderson lined up against a RT.

I think you need at least one bigger bodied 4-3 end, so I'd be fine with him getting snaps there. I also wouldn't look too much into the stats that Andersons sacks came exclusively as a 3-4 end. Bowles had all of his Dlineman besides McClendon and Pennell all over the line, lining up in every gap. It's the main reason I try to dispel the myth that Williams would be better if he kicked inside. He's already been playing inside this year and has been unaffective. My best hope is Gase and hopefully Gregg Williams light a fire under his lazy ass if we retain him. 

30 minutes ago, RobR said:

He would probably help Leo but I'm still not paying him 14 mil next season with a long term contract on the horizon. I'd rather we get a pick for him and use the money elsewhere.

As for Lee I don't think there's any hope. The good news is our new DC will not feel forced to play him over better players.  

Lee played well in coverage this year. He can be a subpackage guy and play in passing downs. He’s not an every down LB but he’s definitely useful.

I wonder if someone like Williams would be good or bad for Adam's? I just know Williams by his rep as a hard a** nut job. Would he be someone to finally tell Jamal to stfu, or would it get worse? ?

For that matter, how long until Adams and Gase start bumping heads? Intro press conference? 

9 hours ago, papz187 said:

Usually not long after the HC is hired....BTW if I remember that game correctly we beat the hell out of Miami that game! I think our run game....possibly Powell or Ivory (or both) had a big game as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That was the game that got Joe Philbin fired. :D 

27-14 win - not even that close. Ivory ran for 166 yards, Tannyhill's last two possessions both led to INTs.

Happy days ... 

8 minutes ago, jamesr said:

That was the game that got Joe Philbin fired. :D 

27-14 win - not even that close. Ivory ran for 166 yards, Tannyhill's last two possessions both led to INTs.

Happy days ... 

maybe that was the straw but philbin deserved to get launched based on the way he handled the whole incognito affair.

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe that was the straw but philbin deserved to get launched based on the way he handled the whole incognito affair.

1-3 start, heading into bye week, locker room turmoil, just lost - embarrassingly - to hated rival (on national TV).

Even if we were just the last straw, I'm glad we had a part in it. :-) 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

1-3 start, heading into bye week, locker room turmoil, just lost - embarrassingly - to hated rival (on national TV).

Even if we were just the last straw, I'm glad we had a part in it. :-) 

beating the doltfins and the patsies always makes for a great start to the week.

Archived