Gase hire has grown on me

kevinc855

I went to bed last night depressed, Chris and mac had managed to do the most Jetsy thing ever and mess up getting McCarthy. I stared at the fan and couldn’t sleep but then I started thinking...

1) we got a guy who is offensive minded and had been a head coach in this league before. Monkey, rhule, Kliff I was a hard Pass on all. We needed a guy who knew how to lead team, even it wasn’t always perfect. 

2) I realized there is a reason McCarthy wasn’t getting interviews. He apparently burned a lot of bridges and maybe wasn’t adjusting with the league. In a rapidly changing and younger league that could of become problematic.

3) Gase needs no schooling up on the AFC east and our rivals. He also has had a pretty good division record in his last 3 years. 

4) this hire puts pressure on mac to win now and spend money. He knows gase in some ways was gamble and will be held fully responsible if it doesn’t pan out. 

5) we always seem to like our hc hires like we liked Bowles. They never pan out, maybe the guy we didn’t like at first will....

I feel better today. I feel optimistic I am ready to Jet up again! 

2019 we coming! Jet up!

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

He isnt a bad head coach at all.  The issue is his mentality/high opinion of himself. That's something that can be a problem. If he changes that then this has the possibility of being a good hire if Macc does his job getting talent around sam

Jamal has a high opinion of himself and was named team MVP, got voted to the pro bowl and was named all pro 2nd team.  Just saying ?

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Jamal has a high opinion of himself and was named team MVP, got voted to the pro bowl and was named all pro 2nd team.  Just saying ?

Yes but I think thw coach has to handle that better.  It was definetly an issue in Miami. Its a fair criticism.  Like I said I think he can be head coach and giving him Darnold as opposed to Tannehill will be a big plus obviously

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

went to bed last night depressed, 

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

stared at the fan and couldn’t sleep but then I started thinking...

Bro it’s not that serious. Bone your girl, get a breath of fresh air, take a walk lol.

but yeah I’m over it. Should at least be fun to see them implode in different manners if such a thing happens. If it works out, it’ll be fun to see some real football.

I guess we’ll find out.

I liked the Mangini hire.  Hated Herm.  Loved Rex.  Didn't like Bowles.  So according to the pattern, I should like Gase.  Yet all I feel for now is ambivalence.  I'm hoping for something to push me into the 'like' category.  Gregg Williams as DC would probably help.

I’m already over the anger and disappointment. There are guys around the league who rave about Gase and others he’s alienated. We have a very small sample size of his HC ability and it came with a dysfunctional front office and awful QB play so the jury is still out.

This will mostly come down to Darnold. The bigger issue is the retention of Maccagnan who’s yet to prove he can surround the kid with any real NFL talent. 

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I’m already over the anger and disappointment. There are guys around the league who rave about Gase and others he’s alienated. We have a very small sample size of his HC ability and it came with awful QB play so the jury is still out.

This will mostly come down to Darnold. The bigger issue is the retention of Maccagnan who’s yet to prove he can surround the kid with any real NFL talent. 

Exactly.  I know there are some that think Macc is bulletproof but if he doesn’t hit a homer in in the draft and free agency he will be gone next year

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bro it’s not that serious. Bone your girl, get a breath of fresh air, take a walk lol.

but yeah I’m over it. Should at least be fun to see them implode in different manners if such a thing happens. If it works out, it’ll be fun to see some real football.

I guess we’ll find out.

Haha the odd obsession of being a jets fan

34 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

He isnt a bad head coach at all.  The issue is his mentality/high opinion of himself. That's something that can be a problem. If he changes that then this has the possibility of being a good hire if Macc does his job getting talent around sam

what do you base this on-his record says he is a bad coach

oh and this is exactly what the team needs too

On the offensive side of the ball, Jeff Darlington of ESPN says to expect Gase to bring in Dowell Loggains, who was his coordinator in Miami when the pair led the Dolphins to points per game rankings of 17th, 28th and 26th in the league  from 2016-2018. 

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Lets be honest. There were an awful lot of Drama Queens on this board last night. It was pretty sad to see.

The non drama queens are content to lose and to have guys like bowles, rex his last two years, hackenburg mac and his 100 draft failures.  They are always even keeled and sensible.  They are all content with 'lets give him a chance!' 4 years later after the latest disaster they are back to being happy and even keeled, oh and sensible.

I don't get the love for Mcarthy at all. Like why would we ever want him to be our coach?

If the goal of Superbowl you never hire a coach who already won one. He wasn't even that good when he had a goat. Darnold won't be 1/2 of what arod is so I'd expect half the results from McCarthy which is just a slight upgrade from bowles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The non drama queens are content to lose and to have guys like bowles, rex his last two years, hackenburg mac and his 100 draft failures.  They are always even keeled and sensible.  They are all content with 'lets give him a chance!' 4 years later after the latest disaster they are back to being happy and even keeled, oh and sensible.

And the drama queens are a bunch of Drama Queens.

34 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I’m already over the anger and disappointment. There are guys around the league who rave about Gase and others he’s alienated. We have a very small sample size of his HC ability and it came with a dysfunctional front office and awful QB play so the jury is still out.

This.

Macc n’ Gase better build Sam a wall of an OLine and keep him upright. If so, we’ll win.

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just F'n Stop.  Muck up the threads filled with the rest of the negative Nancys like you.  You cant stay away from a single thread without your doom and gloom, old & tired act.  You're acting like a miserable fan who needs to give it up.  Hack and the draft history of Macc has nothing to do with this and doesnt belong in a Gase thread.  

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Or... the non-drama queens recognize that we cannot predict the future success and realize wailing and gnashing of teeth is not productive anyway.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I went to bed last night depressed.

Image result for vienna sausages

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Its ok to not like the choice.  We have opinions and we have our own ranking list but geesh, guys are talking about not rooting for the team anymore.  Seriously...as much as we love football, do we really think we are better at this than people in the sport??   Get over yourselves.  

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Nobody loved parcels more than parcels. He just needs to channel it.  Get guys on board with the confidence and swagger. Play like a winner not a schlep Like  Bowles. 

I have to admit after initially being upset over the snub with McCarthy, I'm starting to warm up to Gase. I would like to see either Joseph or Williams for DC. With incoming free agency I would make a play for Demarcus Lawrence. I would make a call to the Steelers for Antonio Brown. Your ass is on the line Macc. Time to make some bold moves to get this team into playoff contention.

34 minutes ago, funaz said:

I don't get the love for Mcarthy at all. Like why would we ever want him to be our coach?

If the goal of Superbowl you never hire a coach who already won one. He wasn't even that good when he had a goat. Darnold won't be 1/2 of what arod is so I'd expect half the results from McCarthy which is just a slight upgrade from bowles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

so if Bill B was on the market he would be a bad hire  by your logic-pretty genius

This was a lot like the QB search last year. I was fully onboard the Baker Bandwagon and had him as my QB1. Because I assumed Darnold would go #1, I never really considered him and had Rosen as my number 2. After the draft, I went back and watched more tape on Darnold and was happy with the pick. 

I've had a similar reaction to Gase. I never really considered him a viable option so I was a bit shocked with the news. But looking now, he has a lot of the same positives as my number 1 option Monken. I'm expecting Gase to come here and lead a no nonsense team. We won't need Jamal telling other players they need to focus because that same message will be coming from the head coach. I'm also expecting Darnold to take a big leap next year. We saw what he could do with no weapons in a vanilla WCO offense. Put him in a more creative offense with better weapons and I'm expecting Darnold to be a top 10-15 QB next year.

Before I set my expectations on what I think this team can do, I need to see who we hire as defensive coordinator and who we get in FA/Draft. But think this was a good hire. In hindsight, I would still prefer Monken for the head spot. But Gase is not too far behind. I think he is a better option than Rhule and McCarthy. 

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Its ok to not like the choice.  We have opinions and we have our own ranking list but geesh, guys are talking about not rooting for the team anymore.  Seriously...as much as we love football, do we really think we are better at this than people in the sport??   Get over yourselves.  

how many years have you been a fan? how many games have you gone to-how much money have you invested in watching the jets?   everybody has their breaking point-I have been going since I was three -as to your next question yes many times the fans from this franchise actually do know more-I sat in person at the draft chanting sapp sapp sapp to watch us select kyle brady.... I watched our gm draft a guy that anybody with a brain and a tv knew was not a nfl qb in hackenberg

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

31 other teams looking for fans bud. Lighten up. We are all diehards but it is still just a game. 

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I liked the Mangini hire.  Hated Herm.  Loved Rex.  Didn't like Bowles.  So according to the pattern, I should like Gase.  Yet all I feel for now is ambivalence.  I'm hoping for something to push me into the 'like' category.  Gregg Williams as DC would probably help.

Don’t feel ambivalent, the Jets now have a REAL HC, who is versed on the Offensive side of the ball.  I know this is a really low bar but Gase actually coached some blowouts against Bowles one with his backup Moore if I recall.

Sam Darnold actually flourished at the end of the year when the light came on for him, maybe because he didn’t have to chase the snaps from the C Bowles wouldn’t stop playing for 9 games and he could then see the whole field.  You put some good pieces around Darnold, especially Oline and it won’t matter who the GM is or the coach.  But I think this coach will have lots of say in the players he wants, even though it’s thought that Maccagnan still has all the power to blow another draft.

I was a little bummed. It was mostly the Miami thing

I don't have Twitter and figure the vast majority of what we read is click bait, spin or out out and out lies so the back and forth stuff didn't really bother me

I just looked at his wiki page, interesting background from cutting his teeth as an assistant in recruiting and scouting to QB coach and OC and HC

Let's face it, it was always going to come down to Sam

Sam is like totally super stoked, that's all I need for now

I still don’t love it. I’m complete Meh on the whole thing. 

I probably won’t feel excited until pre season when I see if Darnold progressed or not. 

I hope the new unis are fire and we crush the draft. Otherwise this is gonna be one long rough off season. 

59 minutes ago, kmnj said:

what do you base this on-his record says he is a bad coach

oh and this is exactly what the team needs too

On the offensive side of the ball, Jeff Darlington of ESPN says to expect Gase to bring in Dowell Loggains, who was his coordinator in Miami when the pair led the Dolphins to points per game rankings of 17th, 28th and 26th in the league  from 2016-2018. 

I once knew a HC that in his first 5 yrs had a record of 36-44 with 1  playoff experience... and in those 5 yrs showed himself to be an arrogant prick, pissed of the media and his owner, alienated the veterans on his team and the fans.

You gotta learn somewhere...just hope Gase learned his lessons on the Phins dime and not ours.

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I still don’t love it. I’m complete Meh on the whole thing. 

I probably won’t feel excited until pre season when I see if Darnold progressed or not. 

I hope the new unis are fire and we crush the draft. Otherwise this is gonna be one long rough off season. 

That's a pretty fair take on the situation. A lot of the teams success is still going to come down to FA/Draft. We have to get playmakers on the field. To me, the microscope needs to be on Macchiato. Gase seems to be pretty opinionated. So, Im hoping he really challenges makes on personnel decision even if it's ultimately Macc's decision to make. 

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

Or... the non-drama queens recognize that we cannot predict the future success and realize wailing and gnashing of teeth is not productive anyway.

Image result for vienna sausages

Well actually history usually repeats itself.  Much more so than expecting a failure to all of sudden succeed.

We have pretty clear insight into what's going to happen.

Archived