Who is the best quarterback of all time?

Blackout

Who is the best?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Vote here

• Otto Graham
    • Johnny Unitas
    • Bart Starr
    • Joe Montana
    • Brett Favre
    • Peyton Manning
    • Cindy Brady
    • Drew Brees
    • Steve Young
    • Arnie Herber
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • John Elway

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montana's 49ers, meanwhile, apparently used to engage in some light rule circumvention of their own.

Earlier this offseason, Jerry Rice -- only the best receiver ever -- admitted to using stickum on his hands during his playing career. Rice said he knows that practice was "a little illegal," but also maintained that "all players did it." (A line of defense, it should be noted, that many have criticized Patriots/Brady-backers for using, but that's neither here nor there.)

And now, Montana himself has stated that his offensive linemen also broke some NFL rules. "Our offensive linemen used to spray silicone on their shirts until they got caught," Montana said, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It’s hard to win a super bowl. The Colts were lucky enough to land the first overall pick in a draft that had an actual, sure-thing blue chip quarterback. They surrounded him with first-round weapons in Harrison and Wayne and Clark, James then Addai. Protected his blind side with first rounder Tarik Glenn and rushed the other guy’s with first rounder Dwight Freeney. Still somehow managed to find a first-rounder to waste on a safety. Got a coach with experience running a contending organization and the godfather of the ostensibly innovative offensive coordinators. They won ONE. Is this even actually considered a debate anymore by anybody who isn’t a Jets fan?

Idiot kicker.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I voted for Alabama's Bart Starr because I could not vote for the one who shall not be spoken of 

the funny thing about starr is that he wasn't even all that talented as a thrower.  the guy he replaced could throw better.  all starr did was win.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It’s hard to win a super bowl. The Colts were lucky enough to land the first overall pick in a draft that had an actual, sure-thing blue chip quarterback. They surrounded him with first-round weapons in Harrison and Wayne and Clark, James then Addai. Protected his blind side with first rounder Tarik Glenn and rushed the other guy’s with first rounder Dwight Freeney. Still somehow managed to find a first-rounder to waste on a safety. Got a coach with experience running a contending organization and the godfather of the ostensibly innovative offensive coordinators. They won ONE. Is this even actually considered a debate anymore by anybody who isn’t a Jets fan?

that first rounder they wasted on a safety was bob sanders.  that guy made that defense go.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I may be the only one to vote for Brees but maybe if he wins a trophy this year, more will jump on board.  I have a definite bias against short QBs.  Wanted nothing to do with Mayfield because of it.  But despite that I can't fathom how incredible Brees has been for freaking ever.  He's shattered records and is still piling on stats at an incredible pace.  Hasn't often had the teams/talent around him to win more hardware but just watching him play is a joy.  And he's a great guy who doesn't cheat which puts the cherry on top for me.

My heart wanted to vote for Brees, but I just couldn't.  Stats,  longevity ,staying power, he's got it all.  Just doesn't have the hardware.  Had to vote for Montana. Not physically the best.  Not even close.  But a "generational" quarterback, who changed the position.  Won, won, changed teams, and won again.

Unitas. If you dropped him in any era,  he throws the ball downfield exceptionally and wins games. No knock on anyone else, because every QB thereafter is working off his template. 

Give Sonny  a thumbs up; Jones was stuck with a bad team at a time when the Steelers and Raiders dominated the AFC. 

Admit the problem with both talking comparing the NFL of 1955 through 1980 to now is a rough transition-equipment, fields, conditioning, training, size, steroids, rules. Think the older QBs would still have an easier transition to today than , say, Tom Brady might if you dropped him into 1972. 

Guess a lot of you guys are too young.  Saw every one of the quarterbacks on this list play, except for Otto Graham. So,,,I will reserve judgement on him.  For all the talent on this list,  the best  QUARTERBACK,  not thrower of the ball, not passer for the most yardage/touchdowns, not winner of the most games, not poster of the best stats, "quarterback" is JOE MONTANA.  It is not even close.  Case Closed.

Montana was better than all of them. Namath played when the game was real, I remember Bubba Smith clothes lined him and it wasn't even a penalty. Brady couldn't play in that Era. He cries to the refs if anybody gets within 2 feet of him, right after he folds like a tent. Its a different game today, but Montana was the best. Manning, Farve, Brady and Brees just benefited from the rules, they should be wearing dresses.

8 hours ago, HessStation said:

It’s obv subjective but it should be who you would take to start a franchise with for the next 15 years with them as a rookie. Brady and Montana were gifted with the perfect scenerios in both situations imo.

1. Manning

2. Elway

3. Marino 

for me

Bradys spent a decent chunk of his career with a middling supporting cast and a supposed defensive guru HC who hasnt fielded a top D in the last decade of his career. Looking forward to seeing Belichick come down to earth when Brady retires 

How can you tell? It is impossible to qualify or quantify.  Talent they played with , eras they played in, rule changes that benefit QBs, training facilities....It is an exercise that people like to do, but it is fruitless to try to determine the greatest.   A fun argument, yes, until someone goes off the deep end and punches you in the nose

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

Unitas. If you dropped him in any era,  he throws the ball downfield exceptionally and wins games. No knock on anyone else, because every QB thereafter is working off his template. 

Give Sonny  a thumbs up; Jones was stuck with a bad team at a time when the Steelers and Raiders dominated the AFC. 

Admit the problem with both talking comparing the NFL of 1955 through 1980 to now is a rough transition-equipment, fields, conditioning, training, size, steroids, rules. Think the older QBs would still have an easier transition to today than , say, Tom Brady might if you dropped him into 1972. 

I wonder how many people here saw him play?  Football was different then---more mano a mano.  He was not very tall, had a quick release, and played games with broken fingers. Super tough.   Nowadays football is totally coach driven.  The systems, packages, specific groupings.  Starr was the equivalent of a system QB.  The GB system was simple.  Run the ball, power sweep you to death, and make big completions when you had to. But he made big completions and was really accurate, and careful with the ball.   In those day a lot of folks thought Starr had a very average arm, but he made the plays he had to.  I dont recall ever see him throwing the deep ball to the sideline.  He kept that in the middle of the field.  Todays QB has voluminous knowledge of sets and reads and blitzes.  There were not a ton of blitzers then.  They used to use the word "Red Dog" when extra men rushed.  Just so different.  I think the first time I saw a safety blitz was the Philly Eagles in the '70s.  But to me, the greatest QBs were the ones who could stand in there and take shots in the face to complete passes. Character---or should I say football character, is what makes a QB great.  And talent, of course.   Most all of these guys do that ---or did that.  I could not pick one.  I loved football a lot more back then, so I am biased.

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Montana, especially when you take into consideration how pampered the WR's and QBs are now.  So for me it's Montana then Brady* and Manning*. 

footnote: *=pampered  

Montana was also a system guy.  Walsh had a lot to do with Montana.  But he did make plays outside the pocket when necessary

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No QB did more with less than Brady. He’s the clear cut GOAT.

I don’t like it. But answering anyone else is just silly. It’s not close.

Being the Devil's advocate. Is he doing more with less, or is he a system QB? Seriously, even when he has not played due to injury, his replacement has been just about as good as he is.

Case in point. The Brady replacement with the largest one season sample is Matt Cassel in 2008 who led the team to an 11-5 record (officially it is 10-5 but he entered game 1 after Brady's injury with the game at 0-0, so that his Cassel's win).

Cassel's stats: 327/516;  63.4%;  3693 yards;  21 td;  11 int. Pats had 8th scoring O and 5th O in yards.

In 2009 Brady led the Pats to a 10-6 record. One less win than Cassell.

Brady's stats: 371/565;  65.7%; 4398; 28 td; 13 int.  Pats had 6th scoring O and 3rd O in yards.

Cassel had a slightly better record. Brady had better stats, but not by a very wide margin.

Cassel left the Pats and proved to be a rather pedestrian QB leading his teams to a record of 26-40 and completing 57.7% of his passes.

So, there you have it. Tom Brady is a system QB.  

Archived