Who is the best quarterback of all time?

Blackout

Who is the best?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Vote here

• Otto Graham
    • Johnny Unitas
    • Bart Starr
    • Joe Montana
    • Brett Favre
    • Peyton Manning
    • Cindy Brady
    • Drew Brees
    • Steve Young
    • Arnie Herber
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • John Elway

2 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Steve Young won 1 Super Bowl 3 years after Montana left. He didn't go to any others. Weak argument. 

again, SB's aren't the end all be all. Anything can happen in 1 game, the trick is maximizing your chances to get there by winning division titles and grabbing 1 or 2 seeds consistently., Steve Young went to 3 straight Conf championships post Montana, won 4 straight divisional titles and 1 st rd byes, and made the playoffs 7 years in a row.

It's complete Brady bias to suggest that doesn't undermine Montana's claim. And again, I'm a Montana fan! I couldn't stand the Giants and rooted NFC in SB's because it wasn't the Jets from the AFC. Loved watching him and rooted for him every year come playoff time, but Brady has been ridiculous.  You want to credit Belichick, fine, thats a different discussion, but in terms of sustained success and excellence Montana isn't in the same league.

I can also see the guys who are voting for Rodgers or Marino based on the overwhelming physical talent that dwarfs both of these guys, but Brady v Montana comes down to W/L's imo and Brady takes the cake.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

How many did he win without the single greatest WR of all time?

Wes Welker and Julian Edelman are no Jerry Rice.  

Like I said, Jets Fan bias.  Montana was great, maybe even the 2nd best ever.  He's not the GOAT.

Brady is 27-10 in the playoffs.  That's 37 postseason games played over 15 playoff seasons (of his 19 seasons so far).  He has >10,000 playoff postseason yards.  A 71-31 TD/INT Ratio in the postseason and a career >90 postseason QB Rating. 

He has QB's his team to EIGHT Super Bowls.  Eight.  He won 5 of them.  4 other times he was one game away from the Super Bowl.  In the era of mediocrity and one-year-teams, his Patriots have won the East and been in the postseason and either in the SB or the Championship Game almost every year of his near 20 year career.

Joe only played 13 years.  Brady is already 5 seasons beyond him.

Joe had 11 playoff seasons and 4 Super Bowls to Brady's 15 and 8.

Joe's 41-21 TD/INT ratio in the postseason is amazing.....till you compare it to Brady's 71-31 ratio.

It's just hard to say "the rules, the rules!" (ignoring the effects Free Agnecy has had in keeping good teams together) and have that overcome the vast gulf of exceptional performance and longevity of Brady vs. Montana.

And lets be clear, Brady could get his team to their NINTH Super Bowl this year, and possibly their 6th Super Bowl win. 

And he could play, potentially at a post-season, Super Bowl level, for another couple of years.

Lets say he finishes at 22 years, 9 Super Bowls, 6 Super Bowl wins.  

Joe's 4-0 in Super Bowls over a nine year span is impressive.

Brady's possible 6-3 in Super Bowls over a 20'ish year span is more impressive.

Give the guy his due ffs.  

It's impossible to really compare any more.   If Brady played in the 80s, no way he lasts 20 years.   Look at the shot the Giants put on Montana to knock him out in 86, that's not legal now.  

I'm not taking away from Brady.   He didn't play those killer Bears defenses of the 80s.  He didn't go to Philly with that crazy defense and concrete astro turf.  He never took a blind side shot from LT in the Meadowlands, also on concrete astro turf.  It's just a different game, and I will always go with Joe.  He dominated a time where I think it was more difficult to dominate.

Just one guy's worthless opinion.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He dominated a time where I think it was more difficult to dominate.

If it's so easy to dominate now, in the no-hits, no-defenses, free-agency-and-salary-cap-era......where are all the other dominating 8 Super Bowl teams and QB's?

If it is just rings, wouldn't it be Otto Graham?

Played 10 years.   Went to 10 NFL Championship games.   Won 7.

I'm just using this to point out how it is impossible to compare different eras.   Football has changed so much over the years.   Heck, it has changed so much since Brady has been playing it is amazing.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If it's so easy to dominate now, in the no-hits, no-defenses, free-agency-and-salary-cap-era......where are all the other dominating 8 Super Bowl teams and QB's?

I am not saying Brady is bad.   I am saying, to me, it is Joe, then Brady, then... i don't really know. 

Dominate was the wrong word.   Put up "great numbers that 20 years ago would have been impossible" for a prolonged time.

I'd still argue the best single season passing was Marino in 84.   To set records that hold up for 20 years is amazing.  To beat the passing TD record by 12 is amazing.  Marino's yardage mark is still top 10. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

It's impossible to really compare any more.   If Brady played in the 80s, no way he lasts 20 years.   Look at the shot the Giants put on Montana to knock him out in 86, that's not legal now.  

I'm not taking away from Brady.   He didn't play those killer Bears defenses of the 80s.  He didn't go to Philly with that crazy defense and concrete astro turf.  He never took a blind side shot from LT in the Meadowlands, also on concrete astro turf.  It's just a different game, and I will always go with Joe.  He dominated a time where I think it was more difficult to dominate.

Just one guy's worthless opinion.

If Brady played in the 80's at 6'4 and 225 he'd be almost big as most linebackers

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sorry. Namath upsets me because he wasted so much of his potential.   I mean he was no Otto Graham.

True but he goes down in history as a WB that changed the game and gave the AFC credibility. Oh and of course our OINLY SB win. 

48 minutes ago, CTM said:

again, SB's aren't the end all be all. Anything can happen in 1 game, the trick is maximizing your chances to get there by winning division titles and grabbing 1 or 2 seeds consistently., Steve Young went to 3 straight Conf championships post Montana, won 4 straight divisional titles and 1 st rd byes, and made the playoffs 7 years in a row.

It's complete Brady bias to suggest that doesn't undermine Montana's claim. And again, I'm a Montana fan! I couldn't stand the Giants and rooted NFC in SB's because it wasn't the Jets from the AFC. Loved watching him and rooted for him every year come playoff time, but Brady has been ridiculous.  You want to credit Belichick, fine, thats a different discussion, but in terms of sustained success and excellence Montana isn't in the same league.

I can also see the guys who are voting for Rodgers or Marino based on the overwhelming physical talent that dwarfs both of these guys, but Brady v Montana comes down to W/L's imo and Brady takes the cake.

Matt Cassell won 11 games when Brady got injured, only didnt win the division because of a stupid tie breaker.  Jimmy G was undefeated when Brady was suspended for being Lance Armstrong.  They kept right on winning...

Next.

3 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Joe Montana. This isn't close. 4-0 in Super Bowls. 11 TDs, 0 INT. Nobody brought it in big moments better.

If you say Brady you are either under 40 or an ass like CTM.

4-0 in super bowls but remember how much better the NFC was in those days, the real SB was usually the NFC championship.

Montana lost playoff games leading Os to 3 points twice, the lowest amount brady ever led an O to in a playoff loss was 13.

Brady is 14-3 in WC div rds, Montana 9-4

Brady is 8-4 in conf championship games, Montana 4-3

Brady 19-3 at home in playoffs, Montana 10-2

Brady 3-4 on road in postseason, Montana 2-5

Montana always had more talent around him than Brady, Montana is a worthy #2 but he's not close to Brady.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Matt Cassell won 11 games when Brady got injured, only didnt win the division because of a stupid tie breaker.  Jimmy G was undefeated when Brady was suspended for being Lance Armstrong.  They kept right on winning...

Next.

Haha not having that debate again but

2007 =  16-0 against one of hardest schedule, #1 seed

2008 = 11-5 against one of easiest schedule, no playoffs

These 2 seasons have as much alike as Pac and a trim body

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Next.

They lost 5 more games in 2008 than 2007.  That is a huge number.  They did it while missing the playoffs with a QB who would make the playoffs with another team.

Jimmy G has proven to be a good QB(he's 8-2 as a starter), he was 2-0 when Brady was suspended defeating 2 struggling teams at the time.

Bill Belichick now considered the greatest HC of all time has 5 losing seasons in 7 full without Brady, just 1 WC app.  A losing record in both Cleveland and NE without Brady

14 minutes ago, CTM said:

Haha not having that debate again but

2007 =  16-0 against one of hardest schedule, #1 seed

2008 = 11-5 against one of easiest schedule, no playoffs

These 2 seasons have as much alike as Pac and a trim body

So, they didnt win 11 games in 2008 and Jimmy G wasnt undefeated? 

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They lost 5 more games in 2008 than 2007.  That is a huge number.  They did it while missing the playoffs with a QB who would make the playoffs with another team.

Jimmy G has proven to be a good QB(he's 8-2 as a starter), he was 2-0 when Brady was suspended defeating 2 struggling teams at the time.

Bill Belichick now considered the greatest HC of all time has 5 losing seasons in 7 full without Brady, just 1 WC app.  A losing record in both Cleveland and NE without Brady

1 minute ago, JiF said:

A whopping 2-0 against struggling teams with a good QB, losing 5 more games than the year before and missing the playoffs with a playoff QB.

Very impressive

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

A whopping 2-0 against struggling teams with a good QB, losing 5 more games than the year before and missing the playoffs with a playoff QB.

Very impressive

1 minute ago, CTM said:

02-troll-face.w536.h357.2x.jpg

Just kept rolling on and winning...

Montana. Defense was still legal when he played.

Ill go a step further and say anyone who has played post-2001 needs an asterisk by their name. This IS the football equivalent of the baseball steroid era. Very bad football is being played currently and people CHOOSE to act like they dont notice. 

11 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Montana. Defense was still legal when he played.

Ill go a step further and say anyone who has played post-2001 needs an asterisk by their name. This IS the football equivalent of the baseball steroid era. Very bad football is being played currently and people CHOOSE to act like they dont notice. 

Brady won titles before and after the rules changes to help offense and people forget about the in the grasp rule in the 80s.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

How many did he win without the single greatest WR of all time?

Wes Welker and Julian Edelman are no Jerry Rice.  

Like I said, Jets Fan bias.  Montana was great, maybe even the 2nd best ever.  He's not the GOAT.

Brady is 27-10 in the playoffs.  That's 37 postseason games played over 15 playoff seasons (of his 19 seasons so far).  He has >10,000 playoff postseason yards.  A 71-31 TD/INT Ratio in the postseason and a career >90 postseason QB Rating. 

He has QB's his team to EIGHT Super Bowls.  Eight.  He won 5 of them.  4 other times he was one game away from the Super Bowl.  In the era of mediocrity and one-year-teams, his Patriots have won the East and been in the postseason and either in the SB or the Championship Game almost every year of his near 20 year career.

Joe only played 13 years.  Brady is already 5 seasons beyond him.

Joe had 11 playoff seasons and 4 Super Bowls to Brady's 15 and 8.

Joe's 41-21 TD/INT ratio in the postseason is amazing.....till you compare it to Brady's 71-31 ratio.

It's just hard to say "the rules, the rules!" (ignoring the effects Free Agnecy has had in keeping good teams together) and have that overcome the vast gulf of exceptional performance and longevity of Brady vs. Montana.

And lets be clear, Brady could get his team to their NINTH Super Bowl this year, and possibly their 6th Super Bowl win. 

And he could play, potentially at a post-season, Super Bowl level, for another couple of years.

Lets say he finishes at 22 years, 9 Super Bowls, 6 Super Bowl wins.  

Joe's 4-0 in Super Bowls over a nine year span is impressive.

Brady's possible 6-3 in Super Bowls over a 20'ish year span is more impressive.

Give the guy his due ffs.  

Nah. Brady also cheated and takes money under the table. Also: Bill Belichick.

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Brady won titles before and after the rules changes to help offense and people forget about the in the grasp rule in the 80s.

Tuck rule. Brady absolutely falls into the new era of nonsense. 

29 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Nah. Brady also cheated and takes money under the table. Also: Bill Belichick.

Jerry rice has admitted to using stick em, bill belichick has a losing record without Brady.  Coached 7 seasons, 5 losing seasons and just 1 WC playoff app but I guess he didn't start cheating until week 3 of the 2001 season?

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Jerry rice has admitted to using stick em, bill belichick has a losing record without Brady.  Coached 7 seasons, 5 losing seasons and just 1 WC playoff app but I guess he didn't start cheating until week 3 of the 2001 season?

Brady suspended 4 games for cheating.

Please list the next longest suspension of any player who is in any GOAT discussion in any sport. I'll wait.

24 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

If Montana played now he'd be putting up 6000 yards and 50 TDs a year. 

Montana changed the way the game was played. Brady just played it. Huge difference. 

Montana is a legend but Walsh changed the game 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Brady suspended 4 games for cheating.

Please list the next longest suspension of any player who is in any GOAT discussion in any sport. I'll wait.

That was the most ridiculous suspension in league history.  After deflategate he went on to lead his team to another SB win 2 weeks later leading his O to 14 4th qtr pts to win against the same D that Peyton Manning (with much more talent around him) could only lead his O to 8 garbage time pts in the previous super bowl

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

That was the most ridiculous suspension in league history.  After deflategate he went on to lead his team to another SB win 2 weeks later leading his O to 14 4th qtr pts to win against the same D that Peyton Manning (with much more talent around him) could only lead his O to 8 garbage time pts in the previous super bowl

So no one else? In any of the 4 major sports? Great. Thanks for confirming.

Archived