Romo thinks Gase is good for Sam

CanadienJetsFan

Jets’ Adam Gase can bring out ‘Peyton Manning traits’ in QB Sam Darnold, says Tony Romo

NEW YORK — If this comparison doesn’t get Jets fans excited about new head coach Adam Gase, nothing will.

“I think putting him together with (quarterback) Sam Darnold is going to be a very good combination,” CBS NFL analyst Tony Romo said Thursday to reporters on the set of The NFL Today. “I think Darnold has some Peyton Manning-type traits. Adam obviously did a great job with Peyton and that situation in Denver.”

Manning reportedly put in a recommendation call on Gase’s behalf to Jets CEO Christopher Johnson before the final decision was made.

Gase, who was fired after two seasons as Dolphins head coach, was Broncos quarterbacks coach (2011-12) and offensive coordinator (2013-14) when Manning made the late-career transition from the Colts and won a NFL MVP with the Broncos.

“I think Adam Gase has a great mind for offensive football,” Romo said. “I also think sometimes it’s a good thing when you have to really reflect.

"When you get let go as a coach or a player, you really have to look at yourself. I think that will be a good thing because he will really analyze what he could do better and what he did really well.”

10 things Jets' Adam Gase must fix immediately

What is the basis for the comparison between the future Hall of Famer Manning and Darnold, who was 4-9 as a rookie starter?

“Spatial awareness and an ability to get through reads quickly,” Romo said. "I think (Sam) is going to be a fantastic player. I think he is going to make a huge leap next year. Some players have this ability I call spatial awareness: Instinctful ability to see leverage and get off a receiver when they are going through a progression far faster than other people.

"It’s probably the most underrated trait that people can’t analyze. They see running or movement or a big play. What they don’t see is you got to the fourth receiver in 1.2 seconds, not 2.4. That’s really the secret to the best players at that position. I think Sam has some of those qualities.”

The Jets targeted an offensive-minded coach after going defense-first with all their hires over the last 20 years. Though the Dolphins typically air on CBS, Romo said did not do “a ton of” Dolphins games during Gase’s two-year tenure.

“It’s a huge advantage if you can get a coach who doesn’t just think on Mondays afterward, but thinks during the football game," Romo said. “Those guys are specials.”

Romo will broadcast his first Super Bowl along with play-by-play voice Jim Nantz on Feb. 3 when CBS airs Super Bowl LIII from Atlanta after seven hours of pregame coverage.

By then, the Jets coaching staff will be rounding into shape.

“I think Adam is an outstanding football coach. He has a great mind for it,” Romo said. “They need to bring in a good defensive coordinator. I think their offense will start playing really good football next year. They just need some offensive linemen and they’ll be OK

On the one hand we have Romo, Peyton and Sam saying gase is a good hire

On the other hand we have Twitter, people who make a living giving hot takes on the jets, trolls and that guy you know at work saying it was a bad hire

Who ya got?

2 minutes ago, freestater said:

Awesome! This is completely the opposite of what everybody said when we hired Todd Bowles.

Actually I dont think anyone said a single word about our QB and how good it will be for him with Bowles as the HC.  

Just now, Untouchable said:

Pretty much everyone does besides Jets fans. 

And Joe Benigno. How the hell that guy is still relevant is beyond me. You can read the exact same opinions over and over on pretty much any Jets message board, except your ears won’t bleed profusely. Eyes, maybe.

I love Joe Beningo.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually I dont think anyone said a single word about our QB and how good it will be for him with Bowles as the HC.  

Meaning...every freaking one blows each one of these hires all the time. We just hired a demonstrable LOSER for a HC. Weeks after he got fired because, you know.... he's a LOSER. Glad some freaking talking heads are propping up the loser, and some fans are happily lapping it up, but this guy is, and will remain, a loser. 

Meaning...every freaking one blows each one of these hires all the time. We just hired a demonstrable LOSER for a HC. Weeks after he got fired because, you know.... he's a LOSER. Glad some freaking talking heads are propping up the loser, and some fans are happily lapping it up, but this guy is, and will remain, a loser. 

I dont know, youre right, that why I asked you, youre the one who drew the analogy.  

We didnt hire a demonstrable loser.  You think we did.  Just as no one hired him BECAUSE hes a loser.  You're the only person who thinks this.  

I'm sure youre glad talking heads and "experts" dont agree with you.  Cool story.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I dont know, youre right, that why I asked you, youre the one who drew the analogy.  

We didnt hire a demonstrable loser.  You think we did.  Just as no one hired him BECAUSE hes a loser.  You're the only person who thinks this.  

I'm sure youre glad talking heads and "experts" dont agree with you.  Cool story.  

23-25. 

Demonstrable loser.

23-25. 

Demonstrable loser.

Yes, If youre clueless and dont take into account the team was barely a .500 team on paper with their QB and lost him for 2 of the 3 seasons he was there.

See, theres much more to sports than just numbers.

Sorry whoever you wanted as HC didnt get the job, get over it

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

If I even get to 65 and they still haven’t won anything, I too will pull a Beningo.

Benigno got to see our lone Super Bowl win.

Save the sympathy for assh0les like me who were in diapers when it happened and have had to suffer through pretty much the entirety of sustained ineptitude.

And even I can still find the bright side.

Could be early dementia, could be cancer. Whatever, I chose this path.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, If youre clueless and dont take into account the team was barely a .500 team on paper with their QB and lost him for 2 of the 3 seasons he was there.

See, theres much more to sports than just numbers.

Sorry whoever you wanted as HC didnt get the job, get over it

You know who needs excuses? 

Losers.

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

On the one hand we have Romo, Peyton and Sam saying gase is a good hire

On the other hand we have Twitter, people who make a living giving hot takes on the jets, trolls and that guy you know at work saying it was a bad hire

Who ya got?

Personally I’ll take buttsman and Rutgers  opinion any day over Romo 

Well Tannehills 2 pro bowls do show that he is the great Qb whisper he is supposed to be as is the phins 3 years of non mid to late 20's in offensive rankings.

The day he was hired for the phins....

"It's going to start with the right people," Gase said. "It starts with the players, it also starts up top and we think we have the people in place who have the passion, the work ethic and unselfishness we need to compete and be a winning organization.

"We are looking for guys who want to invest in winning," Gase continued. "It's going to be critical that guys come in here day in and day out and understand that's what we want."

We did exhaustive research on all of the candidates ahead of time and conducted thorough and detailed interviews with each person,"  "In the end, I was convinced and the search committee was unanimous Adam was the right leader for our football team who best met all of our priorities. He has high-energy is competitive and driven to win with a mindset of teaching and developing players."

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Excuses?  LOL, OK

What you said was an excuse. Gase might have won more games if Tannehill was healthy and played more games for him. 

Right?

Well, Gase may have won more games if he didn't run 2 of his best skills guys out of town too. I guess he gets credit for those losses too. ?

1 hour ago, freestater said:

What you said was an excuse. Gase might have won more games if Tannehill was healthy and played more games for him. 

Right?

Well, Gase may have won more games if he didn't run 2 of his best skills guys out of town too. I guess he gets credit for those losses too. ?

You need to look up excuses.  Facts on their own arent excuses.  

Ajayi was a pos who didnt buy into the program, who griped and didnt work.  Yup, should have cuddled up to him.  Im down here, dont go there.  Ajayi sucks, the fins havent missed him

And yes, he would have won more with Tannehill.  Just look at McCarthys record without Rodgers.  Guess what, not good

Archived