Benglas To Hire Rams Postion Coach for HC

GREENBEAN

How do we compare the hiring of Adam Gase to what the Bengals look to do by hiring QB coach Zac Taylor from the Rams to lead the Bengals moving forward? 

Better or worse choice for them? 

Los Angeles Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor is the Cincinnati Bengals' top choice to be their next head coach, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

The Bengals would like to hire Taylor, 35, after Los Angeles' season ends, sources said. Because the Rams are still in playoffs, they can't negotiate a contract.

Taylor was the offensive coordinator for the University of Cincinnati in 2016, and sources said he would like to return to the city.

Taylor would replace Marvin Lewis, who parted ways with the Bengals after the season, ending a 16-year tenure.

A former star quarterback at Nebraska, Taylor began his NFL coaching career with the Miami Dolphins as a quarterbacks coach in 2012, helping to develop Ryan Tannehill, and took over offensive-coordinator duties during the 2015 season.

After spending a year with the Bearcats, Taylor returned to the NFL with the Rams under Sean McVay, for whom he served as assistant wide-receivers coach in 2017 before shifting to quarterbacks this season.

With Taylor overseeing Jared Goff, the Rams went 13-3 and ranked fifth in the NFL this season with 282 passing yards per game

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

The Bengals and Browns made far worse hires.

Riskiest hires (in order)...

1. Kingsbury (AZ)

2. Taylor (Cin)

3. LaFleur (GB)

4. Kitchens (Cle)

5. Gase (Jets)

6. Fangio (Den)

7. Arians (TB)

Dolphins are still TBD.  Don't be surprised if they hire some 22 year old currently coaching quarterbacks in high school given how this league is trending.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

I would add the Packers to that too. I was for McCarthy, but at least we have a guy with HC and extensive coordinator experience. That's a major plus. 

I think these teams are going insane. This year's coaching hires will most likely help to kill the trend of hiring 30 year olds to run the team when most of them crash and burn. Especially when McVey and the Rams get knocked out of the playoffs by the old man laden Saints. (Dallas doesn't stand a chance lol) 

Don't get me wrong, a 30 something coach can win of course, but this is madness right now. 

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Kingsbury (AZ)

2. Taylor (Cin)

3. LaFleur (GB)

4. Kitchens (Cle)

5. Gase (Jets)

6. Fangio (Den)

7. Arians (TB)

Dolphins are still TBD.  Don't be surprised if they hire some 22 year old currently coaching quarterbacks in high school given how this league is trending.

I'd even flip Gase and Fangio.  The Broncos D should be legit regardless of the coach - it's the offense that needs serious attention.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Kingsbury (AZ)

2. Taylor (Cin)

3. LaFleur (GB)

4. Kitchens (Cle)

5. Gase (Jets)

6. Fangio (Den)

7. Arians (TB)

I agree with your list. I also agree with the Miami statement. lol

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Kingsbury (AZ)

2. Taylor (Cin)

3. LaFleur (GB)

4. Kitchens (Cle)

5. Gase (Jets)

6. Fangio (Den)

7. Arians (TB)

Fangio is the Dodge Stratus of this list. Hes the Toyota Camry. Zero risk. Zero pussy. LOL

Lets stick to the car theme. Because I'm bored...

Kingsbury is a rad as **** BMX bike.

LaFleur is a Chevy Camaro....with the eco package V-6 and automatic transmission.

Arians is a Cadillac CTS. A 2008 CTS.

Kitchens is a sleeper late 80s body Mustang with a supercharged big block built by a meth addict.

McCarthy is a BMW 7 series. Nice, reliable, untrendy.

Gase is a Ferrari. Bad ass when its working, high maintenance, pain in the ass shop queen if its out of tune.

Taylor is my 9 year olds Green Machine....

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Kingsbury (AZ)

2. Taylor (Cin)

3. LaFleur (GB)

4. Kitchens (Cle)

5. Gase (Jets)

6. Fangio (Den)

7. Arians (TB)

I hear the fins just completed an interview of the dump mcvay took this morning.

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Fangio and Kubiak are an enviable combo.

Apparently Fangio was very comfortable as a DC in the NFL.  Others have suggested he push for a HC job, but he never really wanted to.  The guy who convinced him this year was Bruce Arians.

Bruce would have never gotten a HC job in Arizona had Chuck Pagano not gotten sick and BA got the interim role in Indianapolis.  Bruce was a QB coach, a Coordinator, lots of years in Pittsburgh, etc.  But he said he was old and nobody wanted him until he got elevated under tragic circumstances in Indy.

BA called Fangio and basically said, "What are you gonna do, sit up in that coach's box coordinating defenses all your life?  Dudes like us are gonna be in a box in 25 years anyway.  Get out there and show 'em what you got.  This league is missing out not seeing you lead a team."

BA has his limitations but I f'ing love the guy.  Great attitude.  Go getter! He pushed Fangio and I think that's cool. 

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Apparently Fangio was very comfortable as a DC in the NFL.  Others have suggested he push for a HC job, but he never really wanted to.  The guy who convinced him this year was Bruce Arians.

Bruce would have never gotten a HC job in Arizona had Chuck Pagano not gotten sick and BA got the interim role in Indianapolis.  Bruce was a QB coach, a Coordinator, lots of years in Pittsburgh, etc.  But he said he was old and nobody wanted him until he got elevated under tragic circumstances in Indy.

BA called Fangio and basically said, "What are you gonna do, sit up in that coach's box coordinating defenses all your life?  Dudes like us are gonna be in a box in 25 years anyway.  Get out there and show 'em what you got.  This league is missing out not seeing you lead a team."

BA has his limitations but I f'ing love the guy.  Great attitude.  Go getter! He pushed Fangio and I think that's cool. 

Why did you have to tell that F'kin story?  Now....I'm going to have to root for the "Broncos";  to do well?  Goes against every fiber of my being. Now this.  Thanks a lot.  Great story.  Like Fangio.  Hate Elway!  What's a Jet Fan to do?

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Kingsbury (AZ)

2. Taylor (Cin)

3. LaFleur (GB)

4. Kitchens (Cle)

5. Gase (Jets)

6. Fangio (Den)

7. Arians (TB)

Good list, but I would argue that Arians should be a bit higher. Arians is a a terrific coach, but he's 66 and has "retired" once already. I just think that hiring a guy who could be done after any given season and is extremely unlikely to coach more than 3 or 4 years to begin with, is inherently risky. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Fangio is the Dodge Stratus of this list. Hes the Toyota Camry. Zero risk. Zero pussy. LOL

Lets stick to the car theme. Because I'm bored...

Kingsbury is a rad as **** BMX bike.

LaFleur is a Chevy Camaro....with the eco package V-6 and automatic transmission.

Arians is a Cadillac CTS. A 2008 CTS.

Kitchens is a sleeper late 80s body Mustang with a supercharged big block built by a meth addict.

McCarthy is a BMW 7 series. Nice, reliable, untrendy.

Gase is a Ferrari. Bad ass when its working, high maintenance, pain in the ass shop queen if its out of tune.

Taylor is my 9 year olds Green Machine....

Incredible post

I am not sure Arians is a great hire for Tampa, he has already committed to Winston (so $100m contract is next) and hired bowles (kacy is soon to follow?) 

I think Leftwich can be a good OC but already at a disadvantage if starting QB is announced and gets paid before camp starts

Plus the GM is not on solid ground, this could get ugly fast - I wish him luck but he will probably end up wishing he stayed retired...

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Kingsbury (AZ)

2. Taylor (Cin)

3. LaFleur (GB)

4. Kitchens (Cle)

5. Gase (Jets)

6. Fangio (Den)

7. Arians (TB)

I think the Dolphins are waiting on Richard.  They are rooting for Saints to beat the tar out of Richard's defense so they can negotiate the contract.  Ironic.

5 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I am not sure Arians is a great hire for Tampa, he has already committed to Winston (so $100m contract is next) and hired bowles (kacy is soon to follow?) 

I think Leftwich can be a good OC but already at a disadvantage if starting QB is announced and gets paid before camp starts

Plus the GM is not on solid ground, this could get ugly fast - I wish him luck but he will probably end up wishing he stayed retired...

thank you.  It's nice to know that someone esle thinks the Bucs are headed in the wrong direction.  I thought I was the only one.

12 hours ago, Pac said:

I will at least say the Kitchens hire was based on how the Browns offense looked so much better once they purged Hugh Jackson from the team. The Bengals hiring Zac Taylor is an huge slap in the face to anyone who's worked their way up the league's coaching ranks awaiting a chance to finally get a head coaching job. Taylor has never been an offensive coordinator at the NFL level. The only time he's been an offensive coordinator was at the college level with the Cincinnati Bearcats in 2016 working with head coach Tommy Tuberville. The Bearcats that year scored a whopping 19.3 points per game ranking 123 out of 128. Taylor works with Sean McVay for a couple years, crushes an interview, and now he's going to be an NFL head coach. Even Matt LaFleur had to at least call plays for one year before getting a head coach gig, but not Zac Taylor. Nope. All you need to do is have a cup of coffee with McVay or had something to do with Mahommes and Mayfield in college, be a metrosexual in your 30's, have some George Michaels stubble, and go for it on 4th downs like you're some teenager playing Madden. 

Archived