Adam Gase 1st down playcalling Pass vs Run %

Patriot Killa

2017, 2018 He passed a lot on 1st down but lacked the ability to find balance. The key to his success in NY is finding the balance in play calling that he previously didn’t have.

Good news is you practically can’t ignore feeding the running back if that running back happens to be Le’Veon Bell.

I'm not sure how meaningful those stats are.  If in 2018 he was 28th in pass calls and 25th in run calls - when obviously those are the only 2 choices - implies that everyone is all bunched up close together.

Also, the league averages for passing was 50% in 2016, but 47% in 2017, then 50% in 2018?  Again, that variation makes me think that stat isn't that useful.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

2017, 2018 He passed a lot on 1st down but lacked the ability to find balance. The key to his success in NY is finding the balance in play calling that he previously didn’t have.

Good news is you practically can’t ignore feeding the running back if that running back happens to be Le’Veon Bell.

So...without knowing who his QB or RB was in those years, or who was on the OL, what exactly do those stats say to you?

I have no idea.

I'm not sure how meaningful those stats are.  If in 2018 he was 28th in pass calls and 25th in run calls - when obviously those are the only 2 choices - implies that everyone is all bunched up close together.
Also, the league averages for passing was 50% in 2016, but 47% in 2017, then 50% in 2018?  Again, that variation makes me think that stat isn't that useful.

It implies to me that they didn’t run a lot of plays. Their defense couldn’t stay off the field. Hopefully, because they sucked and not because the offense couldn’t stay ON the field.

The knock on Gase that really resonates with me (and probably many Jets fans) is that he outsmarts himself. If something is working, he goes away from it to try to outsmart the other team. Sounds a bit Schitty-esque.  A lot of young coaches try to cultivate their "whiz kid" persona even when it means losing games.

Like Parcells said "it's the defense's job to stop what we are doing before we stop what we are doing." 

Sometimes it is just that simple.

3 hours ago, The Troll said:

It implies to me that they didn’t run a lot of plays. Their defense couldn’t stay off the field. Hopefully, because they sucked and not because the offense couldn’t stay ON the field.

This is just comparing types of plays called on 1st down (run vs. pass), not the number of plays called.

These types of stats are completely useless because they don't take into consideration the players on the field. 

Im sure Gase called a different game for Tannyhill than he did for Matt Moore or Osweiller for that matter. I'm sure he can't WAIT to coach Darnold after seeing the film. Darnolds abilities open up a clever OCs entire playbook and allow them to use the entire field sideline to sideline. 

So, as an example, if next year Gase has Sam Darnold at QB, with Bell in the backfield, a 1st down flare pass in the flat to Bell is equivalent to a running play. 

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

These types of stats are completely useless because they don't take into consideration the players on the field. 

Im sure Gase called a different game for Tannyhill than he did for Matt Moore or Osweiller for that matter. I'm sure he can't WAIT to coach Darnold after seeing the film. Darnolds abilities open up a clever OCs entire playbook and allow them to use the entire field sideline to sideline. 

So, as an example, if next year Gase has Sam Darnold at QB, with Bell in the backfield, a 1st down flare pass in the flat to Bell is equivalent to a running play. 

Yes and the stats also don't account for game flow. For example, NO was 29th in 2018 in the league in pass percentage, lower than Buffalo, Miami or the Jets. Likely because they had put most games away by the middle of the third quarter and started milking the clock and not because they have an old school or conservative offense.

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

they must not have had much possession in 2018

Archived