Darnold will be Namath in Gase's eyes!

GREENBEAN

21 minutes ago, SMC said:

Great segment.

What Gase did to prop up Tebow has been woefully overlooked. Chris Sims also made a good point of Gase compensating for Peyton's diminishment in physical skills because of age.

That made me hope that he will actually create schemes that are built around the talent he has. Not to consistently keep players out of position and away from their strength due to an inability to change the plan you already have. Hey, we can hope right? 

4 hours ago, SMC said:

Great segment.

What Gase did to prop up Tebow has been woefully overlooked. Chris Sims also made a good point of Gase compensating for Peyton's diminishment in physical skills because of age.

lets hope, most here, including myself, jumped the gun when we condemned this choice. I hope he can work wonders with Darnold. Maybe his failure in Miami is more than meets the eye and also maybe he learned something from it. I never felt McCarthy was the right guy for this team. The only guy I really wanted was Jim Harbaugh I know it was a pipe dream but I was holding out hope the Johnson's would break the bank and pry him away from Michigan, It didn't happen and when we hired Gase I really did not know much about what he could be. Now rather than continue to bash the pick I'm just going to hope it works out. The guy knows football the question is does that translate to being a great HC we all saw Todd Bowles sh*t the bed lets hope this is different 

Didn't  Gase 1st Head Coaching job end with a 23-25 record? 3 straight losses after it being revealed he was going to be let go? Aren't the Dolphins giving up on Tannyhill? 

Isn't Gase record BETTER than Bill Belichicks 1st stint in Cleveland? People are going WAY TO CRAZY over this hire. I personally am really excited because we needed an X & O guy that could mentor our 21 year old phenom. Fix the Oline, keep consistency with a system built around Sams skills, let him hone those skills as the playbook grows, continue to upgrade the skill positions, score a lot of points, EVERYONE climbs on board and enjoys the game of football again. Much easier to coach when you start winning. Sam is a winner, get used to winning Jet fans. We have a brass balls coach, a little gruff with the media but who cares really?  

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

and if MAC continues to draft the studs on offense like he has been, we will be .....  "oh wait"

Relying on MAC is the worst part here.  He'll draft another bust WR, a crappy Olineman and then over pay a few aging vets to compensate for his lack of draft skills.

I think your going to see a new direction with the Jets now that Bowles is finally out of here & we drafted Darnold. I'm optimistic that we've finally decided to go on the offensive. 

What was McCarthys record when he didn't have Rogers to lean on? Gase worked with less & got more. Looks like we might be in a prime position to trade down or maybe Bosa drops to us & we go all offense after that. Most exciting offseason since 1998.

I think it is overlooked that Gase’s only year with a healthy Tannehill he won 10 games and made the playoffs. Tannehill missed all of 2017 and Gase had an over the hill and disinterested cutler who promptly retired at the end of the season. In 2018 Tannehill was hurt again and he had to win with Brock Osweiler.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I think your going to see a new direction with the Jets now that Bowles is finally out of here & we drafted Darnold. I'm optimistic that we've finally decided to go on the offensive. 

What was McCarthys record when he didn't have Rogers to lean on? Gase worked with less & got more. Looks like we might be in a prime position to trade down or maybe Bosa drops to us & we go all offense after that. Most exciting offseason since 1998.

59 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Chris Simms is the #1 critic of McCarthy and his stale offense. When he tells you that the Gase offense has everything you would want it’s because he knows. The guy watches film like a dog every day.

Im actually fine with the Gase hire. This is all a crap shoot to an extent.  I want to see some good GM moves like we had in 2007-2010.

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I sure hope he has a much better career than Joe.  Why do we set such low expectations for our QBs?

Perhaps he can be like your butt boy Revis and hold out and make it near impossible to sign other players and basically , single handily, cripple the team and not give a shot about anyone but himself.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Perhaps he can be like your butt boy Revis and hold out and make it near impossible to sign other players and basically , single handily, cripple the team and not give a shot about anyone but himself.

Or maybe he could "retire" so he can keep his mob bar?

29 minutes ago, Barkus said:

I think it is overlooked that Gase’s only year with a healthy Tannehill he won 10 games and made the playoffs. Tannehill missed all of 2017 and Gase had an over the hill and disinterested cutler who promptly retired at the end of the season. In 2018 Tannehill was hurt again and he had to win with Brock Osweiler.

I liked how they said he supported Tannehill as his guy.  He really wanted to do all he could to help him succeed. Tannehill just sucks. Now... that kind of loyalty on the surface is awesome, but I'd like for him to be able to m once on from someone who isn't cutting it too. Being a good and ruthless talent evaluator is important. Blind loyalty can be a problem. Rex was like that and it bit him in the testicles.

I liked how they said he supported Tannehill as his guy.  He really wanted to do all he could to help him succeed. Tannehill just sucks. Now... that kind of loyalty on the surface is awesome, but I'd like for him to be able to m once on from someone who isn't cutting it too. Being a good and ruthless talent evaluator is important. Blind loyalty can be a problem. Rex was like that and it bit him in the testicles.

Does Tannehill suck or was he not developed well?

He was progressing well until Gase got there and then he mostly leveled off

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The stats do support your view. Not sure why the media line is that Tannehill progressed. He really wasn't any better than he was before Gase. But, he's Ryan Tannehill. No one ever though the guy had top 10, or really even top 20, talent. Heck, he was a WR in College.

Darnold clearly has top 10 talent. Great coaches can win consistently with anyone at QB (see Joe Gibbs, Bill Cowher, John Harbaugh and Bill Parcells). Then there are a bunch of very good coaches who are around .500 with meh QBs, but can contend consistently with a really good QB (see Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Mike Tomlin, and, dare I say, Bill Bellichick). If Gates is around a .500 coach with Tannehill, he probably can win 10 to 14 games per year with Darnold. 

McCarthy was my No. 1 choice because this hire was 100% about what was best for Darnold. 

That eliminated Rhule off the bat for me because he had no experience developing QBs or creating an offense on the pro or college level (that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good candidate elsewhere).  I also strongly against developing a HC at the same time as developing a QB, so that eliminated all the other candidates without pro HC experience.  So while I initially criticized the Gase hire because he wasn't my No. 1 choice, he does fit into the mold of the qualities that McCarthy would bring that was best for Darnold.

Gase does have a history of maximizing QB talent and if he can do that with Darnold, it doesn't matter what he does otherwise because if Gase is not the longterm answer, Darnold will already be a star and the Jets can hire any coach available that they want because all of them would want to coach Darnold.

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Chris Simms is the #1 critic of McCarthy and his stale offense. When he tells you that the Gase offense has everything you would want it’s because he knows. The guy watches film like a dog every day.

Surprised you like Sims, he said Sam was a second round pick talent, last of that QB class pre-draft.

He has one of the most irritating voices for an adult male I’ve ever heard.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Injury seems to be Tannenhill's biggest issue, so much as it is a question of whether he sucks or leveled off.  Remarkably, Tannenhill never missed a game between 2013 to 2012.  Then in the 3 years under Gase, Tannenhill only played about half the games.  So when Tannenhil played he did play well under Gase.

Tanny has been average at best. I’m not sure but he may have had his best season under gase.
I’d say it’s probably gase trying to make filet out of bologna or something like that.

I keep hearing that Gase’s greatest skillset is the ability to get the absolute most out of his QB, whoever it is.

- HOF QB, he helped put up a historic season.

- Tannehill who is barely a starter, he put up above average FQB numbers, went to playoffs.

- Cutler in Chicago career year.

- Osweiler, Moore, actually won games.

I’m hopeful this guy can win us a Super Bowl and watch Gase and Darnold like we’ve seen Belichick and Brady, Payton and Brees, Walsh and Monta, etc.

But I’ll say the hire was successful if he makes Darnold into a top QB. If we have to can him in a couple of years because he the rest of the team isn’t responding and we need a CEO coach to get us over the hump, that’d be second best result lf hiring Gase...as long as Darnold’s development and talent is realized.

Archived