Adam Shein on Todd Bowles

Jetster

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't buy this "nobody knows anything" line of thinking. Jets fans knew Warren Sapp should be be the pick. We didn't need to see Kyle Brady entire career pan out before making an offer accurate prediction

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets regime of that era was the most, most conservative of any franchise at that time. They steered away clear of any red flags that pertained to injuries (knees specifically), personal conduct (drugs, rumors, personal).

Jim Kensil was a lackey from the NFL offices. Gutman was an executive that couldn't tell you the shape of the football. The Jets wanted to be a model franchise that the league could uphold.

Even if Dan Marino and Warren Sapp were by and far the number 1 overall player on their draft board for athletic ability, they were never, never going to take them.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Todd won coordinator of the year prior to becoming an Head Coach.  Some guys are just better coordinators.  Dont see why that cant be the case for Todd, even though he D sucked as a Head Coach.
Exactly. The only other DC to win that award so far is Wade Phillips who has been a HC/Interim HC 6 times. Even though Phillips has a winning record as a HC, his true calling is as a DC.

I'm happy for Bowles to get back to his passion. I think a few years as DC back under BA is just what he needs right now. I think those two will turn that team around.

I hope Bowles does well with TB, they are in another conference, and he seems like a legit good dude. Nothing I saw here leads me to believe he is a good defensive mind at all, and by all accounts he was hands off with the offense and only really focussed on the defense. No ill will towards the man at all.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Brian Schottenheimer has been employed by a major football organization since his mid-teens, but it’s the conspiracy to protect the five working African American coaches that riles @Jetster up. 

no team has been dumb enough to make Brian Schottenheimer a head coach.  Bowles was an ok DC in Arizona.  Better than Schitty was as an OC anywhere.  And Schitty could occasionally win games leading to a .500 or better season and playoffs with Sanchez.  On the Jets, Bowles' defenses blew leads quite often, in an infuriating fashion, and apart from his first season, led the team to terrible losing W-L seasons.  

Bad comparison.

So, I'm in the car listening to Mad Dog sports radio on Sirius.
This guy Shein in that irritating exaggerated stretch voice starts talking about the Arians hire in Tampa Bay. So I'm waiting to hear what he has to say about Todd Bowles. So he says, "And what about the Todd Bowles hire, Todd Bowles is a brilliant defensive coordinator!"
I literally nearly drove off the road! I mean it struck me as being so funny, I was saying out loud in the car, BRILLIANT? BRILLIANT? Now I know there are many things I've called Todd Bowles over the last 4 years but brilliant was never a word that came to my mind.
What the hell is it with Todd Bowles & his teflon reputation? Seriously? This guy fired 3 OCs and kept his inept buddy Rogers here for 4 years & I think even right now a WR blew through the secondary untouched & no one within 15 yards of him! 
Is there some type of conspiracy protecting bad African American NFL Head Coaches I'm not aware of? Do they have to go 2-30 like Hue Jackson did before you can mock them? Gase with a 23-25 record is being mocked, dragged through the mud, Memed to death and the 24-40 Todd Bowles is referred to as BRILLIANT! 
Sorry, but this really pisses me off because I had to waste 4 years watching this moron systematically make this team worse & worse every year! I was at that Titans game where his BRILLIANT DEFENSIVE game plan gave up another 7 points with an 83 yard drive in a 2 minute drill. I reassured Titans fans sitting next to me that they had nothing to worry about, there was no way Todd Bowles defense to stop the juggernaut that is Marcus Mariotta & the Titans offense! They thought I was nostrodomus and thanked me for my wisdom and for reassuring them that the game was clearly not over. At 16-0 a couple left? I was thinking, you obviously haven't witnessed the brilliancy of Todd Bowles & Kacey Rogers giving up lead after lead. This is my final critique of anything Todd Bowles, I'm just thankful he's finally gone, but wow, it's amazing how history gets rewritten by these media A holes.

Tell us how you really feel.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Todd was a great DC which was why expectations were so high for him  (and why he was hired here in the first place). We know how this all turned out. 

Hopefully he can find his groove back under Arians. (Especially after these years of terrible game management, blown overages, players playing out of position etc.)

19 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Todd was a great DC which was why expectations were so high for him  (and why he was hired here in the first place). We know how this all turned out. 

Hopefully he can find his groove back under Arians. (Especially after these years of terrible game management, blown overages, players playing out of position etc.)

Since Bowles was such a briilliant defensive strategist, we should offer TB the opportunity to trade premium picks for Leo and Lee so Todd can reconstruct his Jets defense down there.  

Gase is basically going to run the offensive with Patton Oswald Jr as his helper, but the offense will be Gase’.  For some reason people blame Kacy for being the bad DC but say that Todd was just a bad HC.  I don’t think that is now that relationship worked.  Todd was supposed to be the functional DC and hire an experienced person to run the offense, which started off right in concept with Gailey.  Replacing Gailey with Bates ultimately, while allowing Kacy too much rope, was career suicide for Bowles.  Bowles is not a leader that can just delegate, and the Johnsons were not hiring a deep enough staff to allow that. 

The Cardinals seem to have the right idea-KK is working with Keim to build a staff.  Bet you that is were Gregg Williams ends up.  I think the Rhule thing was a diversion.  Rhule is a organizational leader-he could have been good, and will be an NFL coach likely next year.  But he would of course need help finding NFL real coordinators.  Like KK, I don’t believe that was the problem with him.  I believe the problem with him was that his buyout, salary and coordinators were too much money.

He will work on a transition plan with Baylor this year and then move on.  

38 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

beat writers never have an agenda and every word they say should be taken as gospel, for sure

He's a good beater, He's not manish.

side note it feels like the last few days anyone finds anything bad about Adam Gase, people want to shoot the messenger

but if Peyton Manning or Alshon Jeffrey says he's OK let's take those guys at their word. What motivation do those people have to help the Jets win games? They are helping their friend Adam. We can't believe their word as gospel.

besides the fact Peyton Manning screwed the Jets in 1995, he was 35 when he met Adam Gase and called his own plays at the line. 

so basically Adam Gase is awesome if you have a HOF QB smart enough to audible out of the called plays

2 can play the shoot the messenger game 

2 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Bowles was a great defensive coordinator in Arizona.  Also the two games that Rodgers had his illness, Bowles took over as defensive coordinator and the defense played well and we won.  He let Rodgers run the defense and was too loyal to him. 

They specifically ask on this board that we don’t bring up race.  Not sure how that even relates to this. 

Are you telling me Bowles was a great defensive coach with the Jets? Wasn't one of the game Rogers missed against Jacksonville, when Bortles tore up the defense and looked like Joe Montana? Just wondering if we watched the same games?

39 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

You know what bothers me the most about Gase? Super Bowl XLVIII....

imagine if the JEts finally get to the Super Bowl and the first place from scrimmage was the center snapping the ball over the QB's head

THAT would be the most Jets thing ever. 

imagine if the JEts finally get to the Super Bowl and the first place from scrimmage was the center snapping the ball over the QB's head

THAT would be the most Jets thing ever. 

I could see that happening, no doubt. Pessimism is bred as a fan of this team.

Hey did we think Sam was going to throw a damn INT on his first throw? It was Jetsy all the way!

Unfortunately there have been too many "Jets things"...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's a good beater, He's not manish.

side note it feels like the last few days anyone finds anything bad about Adam Gase, people want to shoot the messenger

but if Peyton Manning or Alshon Jeffrey says he's OK let's take those guys at their word. What motivation do those people have to help the Jets win games? They are helping their friend Adam. We can't believe their word as gospel.

besides the fact Peyton Manning screwed the Jets in 1995, he was 35 when he met Adam Gase and called his own plays at the line. 

so basically Adam Gase is awesome if you have a HOF QB smart enough to audible out of the called plays

2 can play the shoot the messenger game 

So i see, if you agree with the beater, he is good, if you don't agree with the beater he is bad, yes, 2 can play the game for sure..... I certainly don't see you posting what beaters say that is pro gase, just typical hypocritical, Im a poet and I don't even know it.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Gase owned the Jets, Bills, and beat the Pats twice with QBs that no one wants. Why don't you 1st give him a chance. So if Payton Manning calls Gase one of his favorite OCs that means nothing to you? 

Manning's favorite OCs sat in the corner and brought him coffee..

20 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Are you telling me Bowles was a great defensive coach with the Jets? Wasn't one of the game Rogers missed against Jacksonville, when Bortles tore up the defense and looked like Joe Montana? Just wondering if we watched the same games?

Bowles's Jets defenses were far superior to Gase Dolphin offense.

Jets D under Bowles - 4th, 11th, 25th, 25th (not saying it's good but vastly better than Gase's offense)

Dolphins offense under Gase - 24th, 25th and 31st

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Todd Bowles is a good dude who didn’t have it as a HC. Players and other coaches loves this guy. They’re definitely isn’t a conspiracy to make him look better than he was. Guys like him will get the benefit of the doubt and right now he’s gonna get great coordinator but bad HC label that some have until he proves that to be wrong, if he does at all 

Good as long as he doesn't get to prove it for the Jets.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Todd won coordinator of the year prior to becoming an Head Coach.  Some guys are just better coordinators.  Dont see why that cant be the case for Todd, even though he D sucked as a Head Coach.

I'd like to see him just put up a good Defense, forget any awards, next year in Tampa.

I'd be surprised if he does.  The AZ D he coached consisted of virtually ALL All-Pros.

You saw, 4 years running, a Jet D incredibly poor in even the most basic fundamentals even though a heavy amount of assets were invested almost exclusively on Bowles D.  It wasn't just 1 year and 3 good ones.  They all were bad.  So here is a simple question, how can the media consistently laud this guy as "brilliant", "great coordinator"?

This will be the last post I make about Todd Bowles. (I think) 

The Todd Bowles/Jets chapter in football history is closed, over, done. 

It was what it was and for the last 4 years he has been in the top 10 forum pieces consistently on Jet Nation. It’s over guys!!! I guess since many been bitchin about him for the last 4 years he’s been a big part of your lives. Probably hard for a lot of people to let go of it. And it’s a free country (at least that’s what they tell me) so for all you guys that have the “slam Todd Bowles syndrome or addiction”, have at it.

I for one am done. I’m going to try and not even open a forum piece with his name in it. 

I wish no ill-will on anybody, (except maybe my ex-wife). Good luck Todd in your future endeavors. 

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

So i see, if you agree with the beater, he is good, if you don't agree with the beater he is bad, yes, 2 can play the game for sure..... I certainly don't see you posting what beaters say that is pro gase, just typical hypocritical, Im a poet and I don't even know it.

beat writers are good or bad based on their reputation, which is formed over years 

they are journalists, many of whom have masters degrees and studied for years. they are not flavors of ice cream i like chocolate you like vanilla and we are both right 

some are better than others

so no, I am not posting the pro Gase article by Manish Mehta. He's a mouthpiece. That doesn't make me a hypocrite. That dude wrote the same article about Todd Bowles in 2015, and he will write the same article about whoever gets this job in 2021. 

Schein knows nothing

we say that about a lot of people but Schein really, genuinely knows absolutely nothing hes an awful broadcaster who has failed everywhere who keeps getting gigs like Sid Rosenberg he’s a rich boy in the good ol boys club

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

beat writers are good or bad based on their reputation, which is formed over years 

they are journalists, many of whom have masters degrees and studied for years. they are not flavors of ice cream i like chocolate you like vanilla and we are both right 

so no, I am not posting the pro Gase article by Manish Mehta. He's a mouthpiece. That doesn't make me a hypocrite. That dude wrote the same article about Todd Bowles in 2015, and he will write the same article about whoever gets this job in 2021. 

I get it, if a Miami beat writer matches YOUR opinion, he is good and has a good reputation formed over many, many years.

If a Miami beat writer does not match YOUR opinion, he is basically Miamis version of Manish.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets D under Bowles - 4th, 11th, 25th, 25th (not saying it's good but vastly better than Gase's offense)

Easy explanation.  Bowles 1st year the Jets played maybe the weakest schedule in NFL history.  10 wins against the lowest of bottom feeders, and don't forget that the outcome of virtually all 10 was not known until near the end of each game.  As the competition/schedules got tougher his D fell off a cliff.

Having the Franchise QB is everything, or at least a QB who is competent.  Gase did not have either of those but finished at almost .500 in Miami.  Wins and losses are what counts the most and Bowles overall record is abysmal no matter what spin is tried to be placed on it.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Most of these clowns in sports radio don’t know more than an average poster on this site they all graduated Syracuse School of communications and were in the same frat and/or they have a wealthy family with connections 

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Easy explanation.  Bowles 1st year the Jets played maybe the weakest schedule in NFL history.  10 wins against the lowest of bottom feeders, and don't forget that the outcome of virtually all 10 was not known until near the end of each game.  As the competition/schedules got tougher his D fell off a cliff.

Having the Franchise QB is everything, or at least a QB who is competent.  Gase did not have either of those but finished at almost .500 in Miami.  Wins and losses are what counts the most and Bowles overall record is abysmal no matter what spin is tried to be placed on it.

In 2015 Bowles had a cupcake schedule and arguably the best WR duo in the nfl making him look good and he still screwed it up

Gase had Tannehill.  Landry is a good WR he wasn’t as good as Marshall was in 2015

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

True but Gase handed him his ass 5 out of 6 matchups 

But he is not wrong in saying his defense outperformed his offensive genius status..  I remember the last game when their defense won the game, our QB had like 4 INT and still have a chance to beat them at the end.  The final score was 13-6.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Did you see Miami's strength of Schedule in Gase's 3 years? I think someone posted it before..

30th, 3rd and 30th....The year he played 3rd was his worst.

You guys can keep looking for excuses...

Honestly and I mean this sincerely, do you truly believe this is the guy, based on what we know about him, that is going to turn this team into a legitimate SuperBowl contender?

There are just sooooo many red-flags that's it's simply hard to imagine.  Honestly, go read my other posts, off of this topic...I'm usually very level headed and not a "hater" - all too often the opposite.

But when I see something this asinine I can't help but be very vocal of how ridiculous hiring this guy was...

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Not much different than calling Gase and offensive genius. His defenses a outperformed Gase’s offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

And I thought Miami crushed us the last several years. Bowles had a ton of first round choices on D and Gase had no QB and they still kicked our butt. I have not interest in overall stats if a divisional opponent keeps beating us down you go by head to head meetings.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Bowles had one good season playing a soft schedule with Revis, Cro and Gilchrist added to the secondary before losing Snacks

Afterwards his defenses flat out stunk. We had the 28th weakest strength of schedule his defensive numbers actually should have been worse this season

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

If you are part of  the in crowd in the NFL, you will keep getting work. Kacey Rogers this very day is rumored to be getting LB coach with Giants, and he should not be employed with  anything beyond coffee orders. 

Schein is a pathetic incel, a chronic masturbator to vile cuck porn . Shame on you for listening to him about anything. 

How Schein is still employed is one of mankind's greatest mysteries.

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

And I thought Miami crushed us the last several years. Bowles had a ton of first round choices on D and Gase had no QB and they still kicked our butt. I have not interest in overall stats if a divisional opponent keeps beating us down you go by head to head meetings.

Bowles is somehow superior yet Gase was 5-1 facing him

Archived